Originally Posted by oneaburns
Ugh...this would solve nothing and is the wrong way to go. I'd be surprised to see this develop. As I have mentioned many times before, partner with satellite first. They are more apt to progressive thinking...especially Dish. See some of my previous posts if you'd like the specificts of how it could work and beneift both parties.
Interestingly, I just saw a survey which may shed some light on this. They were proposing a system which had the following:
- Unlimited access to a wide range ("broader than anything currently available") of music and video for a fixed monthly charge
- Control of your home security needs (using wireless sensors for the doors and windows)
- Remote access via the Internet to control the system
- HD videoconferencing with an HD camera attached to the TV
- Health monitoring - sort of like the Nike shoe devices where they monitor your exercise patterns, heart rate, bp, etc
- Games (the survey specifically mentioned games 'like those on your tablet or smart phone')
Put that all together and it could be a significant feature set. Keep in mind that Apple's current set-top box is only $99, so you don't need to spend a lot to get all that functionality. In fact, the cost is low enough that they could easily do a 'free with a year of service' deal.
I don't think it's implausible at all - and I don't think it necessarily has to replace your current cable box - none of those things actually compete with a cable box.