or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple closes at new high of $648 on rumors of iPad mini, Apple TV

Apple closes at new high of $648 on rumors of iPad mini, Apple TV

post #1 of 44
Apple stock surged upward before reaching an all time closing high of $648, boosted by continued rumors of both a smaller iPad and a new Apple TV capable of presenting live broadcasts.

Apple's stock rapidly escalated early in the year after the company announced the results of a blowout winter quarter with the launch of iPhone 4S. After April however, the stock headed downward, reaching a trough of $530.

The stock has only inched up slightly since, gaining ground after the company's most recent quarterly earnings were announced, but never regaining the momentum seen earlier in the year.

Yesterday, the company distributed $2.5 billion in cash to its shareholders as its first dividend payment since the late 1990s, but rather than seeing its market capitalization drop by the same amount, the company's stock valuation gained over $11 billion today, reaching $607.54 billion.

While it's impossible to accurately explain the often seemingly irrational movements in stock prices, the company seemed to benefit from rumors surrounding an expected iPad mini and new forays into living room entertainment with an enhanced Apple TV offering support for live broadcasts.

Both products could extend Apple's lead in the tablet and Internet set top box markets, both of which have very distant second place competitors.
post #2 of 44

Uh, they're sure that their completely idiotic and unfounded rumors are the reason for this?

Does anyone really think that Apple would make ANY money by just joining up with the TV guys for a box like everyone else puts out?

I imagine it's the dividend doing this.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #3 of 44

Time for some stock split news!

post #4 of 44

I personally want to see apple enter the TV market just to see if they could pull it off. But the TV market looks to be a tough one, although i'm sure the iphone faced similar troubles.

Apple stock should go up because it looks like they will convert a long time PC user (me) to Mac. Though, I am a little worried about getting something new.

If the iPhone 5 turns out to be a good upgrade over the 4(S) then it will probably sell like hotcakes. I got my mother ready to buy one and my GF. If it is a good looking, nice phone, I'll be buying one as well. Assuming I can afford one after buying a Macbook lol

post #5 of 44
The dividend is nice. Not much in percentage terms, but it let's me justify holding a little more even if I don't see huge long-term growth.
post #6 of 44

Now that aapl is paying dividends there are a whole now set of stock portfolios that will be owning a piece.

Long FB, AMZN
Schlong AAPL

Long FB, AMZN
Schlong AAPL

post #7 of 44
Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

If the 6th iPhone turns out to be a good upgrade over the 4(S) then it will probably sell like hotcakes.

Even if it doesn't it'll sell like hotcakes. Every iPhone, even the one that "is the same phone they sold last year" sold more than every previous model combined. Leads me to believe that maybe they're all good upgrades. lol.gif

post #8 of 44

In the book Supermoney by "Adam Smith," he writes that all you can say about a stock is that when it's going up it's going up, and when it's going down it's going down. Stocks have little to do with logic or reason. Those are things financial pundits come up with to protect their jobs.

post #9 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

The dividend is nice. Not much in percentage terms, but it let's me justify holding a little more even if I don't see huge long-term growth.

As long as Apple keeps doubling their profits every year, as they have been, it will be hard for the stock price to not go up. AAPL is up 7x since the start of 2009 and the PE is about the same.
post #10 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Even if it doesn't it'll sell like hotcakes. Every iPhone, even the one that "is the same phone they sold last year" sold more than every previous model combined. Leads me to believe that maybe they're all good upgrades. lol.gif

True, you have me there, but to me, the iPhone 4 was the biggest upgrade. I expect this one to be about the same jump. Mainly pulling for a 1.6+ ghz dual core and 1gb RAM is a given with that 4 inch screen. LTE doesn't matter to me, mainly due to battery life, I hope iOS has the option to turn that off. I want the phone to have LTE, but I'd only use it sometimes. So a bump in battery is expected too.

Plus a refined, sexy if you will, design; not sure i care much for siri or the other new features besides the maps.

post #11 of 44

Well technically the stock should fall after a dividend (company is paying out some of its value), but whatever, up is up! Cheers!

post #12 of 44

If  you got in at $90 a share then it is 12% and it should be growing at a pace close to profit growth.  lol.gif

If Apple announces an increase to dividend equal to 30% then we would see a dividend of $13.85 next year.  30% would be a slowing of growth due to no new products being introduced. Given Apples current plans, I suspect that is a low side estimate. 

post #13 of 44
…a 1.6+ ghz… 

Oh, that won't be happening by any stretch.

post #14 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementineOrange View Post

Now that aapl is paying dividends there are a whole now set of stock portfolios that will be owning a piece.

They did that when the dividend policy was announced a few months ago. In other words, that probably had little to do with the move today.

post #15 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don108 View Post

In the book Supermoney by "Adam Smith," he writes that all you can say about a stock is that when it's going up it's going up, and when it's going down it's going down. Stocks have little to do with logic or reason. Those are things financial pundits come up with to protect their jobs.

You really should inform yourself a bit more about what creates wealth. Maybe even go back and start with the original Mr. Smith, not believe some dilettante whose work populates airport bookstores. 

That said, there's no law against staying ignorant.

post #16 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Chackal View Post

Why do you think it will matter?

post #17 of 44

But, but, all the trolls insisted that Apple had already seen its 'best days', that the stock drop in the past few months was evidence that the 'bubble' had 'burst', and that its all downhill from here. 

post #18 of 44
Quote:

True, you have me there, but to me, the iPhone 4 was the biggest upgrade. I expect this one to be about the same jump. Mainly pulling for a 1.6+ ghz dual core and 1gb RAM is a given with that 4 inch screen. LTE doesn't matter to me, mainly due to battery life, I hope iOS has the option to turn that off. I want the phone to have LTE, but I'd only use it sometimes. So a bump in battery is expected too.

Plus a refined, sexy if you will, design; not sure i care much for siri or the other new features besides the maps.

Processor power is not that important, and at worst is meaningless (see Galaxy Note 2).

No iOS release has ever felt slow.
post #19 of 44
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

To clarify, you mean no iOS release on the device with which it is released, right? I'm certain there are some 3G owners who would rebut you about iOS 4 and some 3GS owners who will be mystified at the purpose of iOS 6 on their device.

post #20 of 44
Quote:

Here you go:

AAPL is going to split its stock 655 to 1 and then sell shares for $.99 on the iTunes store.

post #21 of 44
What was the highest market cap Microsoft and Cisco ever had? I believe at the end of '99 Microsoft was near $600B.
post #22 of 44
Quote:

Uh, they're sure that their completely idiotic and unfounded rumors are the reason for this?

Does anyone really think that Apple would make ANY money by just joining up with the TV guys for a box like everyone else puts out?

The content wouldn't free so why wouldn't there be a revenue split and/or referral fee for Apple? I could also see Comcast, or whoever it is, paying Apple to be able to deliver the best DVR experience ever...

post #23 of 44

:)

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

1smile.gif
Get rid of the silver chin and I'm sold.
post #25 of 44
Quote:

No thanks.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #26 of 44
Quote:

The only thing seemingly more irrational than the stock market is trusting your money to someone else to invest it.

Edited by SpamSandwich - 8/17/12 at 6:03pm

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #27 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Well technically the stock should fall after a dividend (company is paying out some of its value), but whatever, up is up! Cheers!

I thought that was strange also... I have no made-up explanation.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #28 of 44

Without the silver chin it's like any other generic TV.

post #29 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Get rid of the silver chin and I'm sold.

Imo the silver chin is going to be where the Bose speakers are.
post #30 of 44
Quote:
Apple closes at new high of $648 on rumors of iPad mini, Apple TV

God bless you Steve Jobs.
post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Processor power is not that important, and at worst is meaningless (see Galaxy Note 2).

There is no Galaxy Note 2 yet.

iPad 3, Galaxy S4
iPad 3, Galaxy S4
post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

:)

One chair? Confirming our geek status :-)

Mind not for rent, to any god or government.

Mind not for rent, to any god or government.

post #33 of 44

Not sure why y'all don't get this:  Apple HAS to enter the TV market because their 2 biggest competitors already have.  Google has Google TV and will evolve their Q product to include it.  Xbox let you watch a limited amount of Live TV now with apps, and the next Xbox will have DVR capabilities.  If Apple wants a slice of the content market, they have to act soon.

post #34 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

Not sure why y'all don't get this:  Apple HAS to enter the TV market because their 2 biggest competitors already have.  Google has Google TV and will evolve their Q product to include it.  Xbox let you watch a limited amount of Live TV now with apps, and the next Xbox will have DVR capabilities.  If Apple wants a slice of the content market, they have to act soon.

But neither Google nor Microsoft sells a full-blown TV. In both cases, they either sell an add-on (X-box) or license technology to the TV manufacturers. Apple already does that with Apple TV. Apple TV and iTunes already do essentially what Xbox and Google TV do, so those are not justification for releasing a television.

Frankly, I don't think it's impossible for Apple to offer a TV, but I think it's unlikely. I suspect they'll continue to refine the AppleTV. For example, there's no reason they couldn't offer DVR capability in the Apple TV. More importantly, they could add new functionality. For example, see my post #45 in this thread: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/151967/apple-set-top-box-to-blur-line-between-live-on-demand-content
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #35 of 44
Not sure why y'all don't get this:  Apple HAS to…

We "don't get it" because those three words are a complete lie.

…their 2 biggest competitors already have.

Laziness and Theft have entered the TV market? What am I saying; of course they have. Where do I think La-Z-Boy chairs and telecoms are selling their stuff?! Get it together, man!

Google has Google TV and will evolve their Q product to include it.

*snort* Oh, you mean THAT worthless thing! Does less than an Apple TV! 

Xbox let you watch a limited amount of Live TV now with apps, and the next Xbox will have DVR capabilities.

X… 

Okay, yes, they've captured the CowaDoody audience's TV watching. Apple's a company that does far more than that.

post #36 of 44
Quote:

+1

post #37 of 44
Quote:

FYI paying out a dividend normally drops a stock price.

I doubt you know any more about Apple's products, than you do about investing!

post #38 of 44
Quote:

Apple is in the TV market with iTV but if Apple combines iTV with a set top box function, many including me would be a buyer.

post #39 of 44
Quote:

The fallacy there is 'begging the question'.

What makes you think that Apple would put out a box 'like everyone else puts out'? Can you not conceive of Apple putting out a BETTER product than everyone else? After all, you could have made your statement 5 years ago and said "Apple can't make money by putting out a phone like everyone else puts out". Or 3 years ago by saying "Apple can't make money by putting out a tablet like everyone else puts out".

It's pretty clear that if Apple DOES enter this market with a TV (or release a new Apple TV with greatly enhanced capabilities as I suggested above- which I consider to be more likely), they will do so with a product that is NOT 'like everyone else puts out'.

I'm just curious. You're a huge Apple fan, yet you're opposed to every new concept that comes out. iPad Mini? Violently opposed. Apple TV? Violently opposed. You seem to be an Apple fan but opposed to them ever doing anything different. That just doesn't make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Apple is in the TV market with iTV but if Apple combines iTV with a set top box function, many including me would be a buyer.

I really wish people would not misuse trademarks. It clutters the discussion with errors.

Apple doesn't make an 'iTV'. They make an 'Apple TV".
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #40 of 44
Originally Posted by JoshA View Post
I doubt you know any more about Apple's products, than you do about investing!

I'm sure, of course. You're obviously right. I'm a huge hack, and you've discovered me.

On the level, I already know I know nothing about the market. lol.gif

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
What makes you think that Apple would put out a box 'like everyone else puts out'?

Nothing makes me think that. Everything written makes me think that everyone else thinks that.

Can you not conceive of Apple putting out a BETTER product than everyone else?

That's the only thing of which I can conceive. And I'll hold that if Apple doesn't release something that fits my semi-ludicrous ideas, they'll not have released a proper product.

"But… you always poke fun at the people who whine that their ludicrous ideas for products never come true…"

I poke fun when people want every single ludicrous idea at once. Or when the ideas are physically impossible. I don't believe I'm stretching too much with my own idea, and without some sense of "this can't be done" pervading the idea, is there really any reason for Apple to attempt it in the first place? They're masters of doing what "can't" be done.

You're a huge Apple fan, yet you're opposed to every new concept that comes out. iPad Mini? Violently opposed. Apple TV? Violently opposed. You seem to be an Apple fan but opposed to them ever doing anything different. That just doesn't make sense.

I'm violently opposed to bad ideas, bad implementations, and ideas that fall outside the vision I've seen them undertake these past… 16 years? Yeah, it's 16. If they want to change visions, I guess that's on them. More power to them, and I hope it doesn't turn into the early '90s again. I'm not riding that rollercoaster down the hill again.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple closes at new high of $648 on rumors of iPad mini, Apple TV