or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New high-res photos of black, white 'iPad mini' and next-gen iPhone dock connector cables
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New high-res photos of black, white 'iPad mini' and next-gen iPhone dock connector cables - Page 2

post #41 of 122

They are just rounding to a whole number for simplicity purposes.    I wouldn't get all bent out of shape over it.

post #42 of 122
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
They are just rounding to a whole number for simplicity purposes.    I wouldn't get all bent out of shape over it.


It's the wrong way, is all. The 15" MacBook Pro is 15.4". The 13" MacBook Air is 13.3". The 10" iPad is 9.8".

 

And I'm still gonna call it a 7" iPad. lol.gif

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #43 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Looks like the Classic iPod (finally) will be discontinued.

 

My prediction:

new iPod  (4" Screen, A5X processor, 3mp camera) $199

new iPod  (7'' Screen A5X processor, 5mp camera, Siri) $299

new iPod nano (return of bigger screen with a small home button, bluetooth) $149

new iPod shuffle (with touch screen) $99

new iPhone (4" Screen, Quad Core, A6 processor, 10mp camera, iWallet, meet new Siri) $199, $299, $349 w/contract

 

iPhone 4 (free w/contract) iPhone 4S $99 w/contract

 

new redesigned iTunes with Twitter integration, web-version, iCloud streaming

new HD music format

 

That will make a great holiday quarter.

I think the same thing, but I would add Siri to everything that has a processor capable of doing it.

 

I think it is possible Apple might have that fingerprint ID on most of these devices.

 

I also think it is possible that they might start bringing H.265 to a new Apple TV.

 

Isn't iWallet actually called "Passbook" in iOS6?

 

I would think that it would be called an iPad with a 7.whatever sized screen with cameras, etc. for $350. on up depending on storage.

 

There were some rumors a while back suggesting that Apple working on a 5+" device as well, so that could be a variation.

 

ALL SPECULATION FOR DISCUSSIONS SAKE, but nothing I would make an investment decision on.

post #44 of 122

Might all be parts from a prototype .  Might be the real deal  but I'm not convinced.

post #45 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Looks like the Classic iPod (finally) will be discontinued.

My prediction:
new iPod  (4" Screen, A5X processor, 3mp camera) $199
new iPod  (7'' Screen A5X processor, 5mp camera, Siri) $299

I can't see why they'd use the 2011 CPU with a quad-core GPU from 2011. Let's remember the A5X was designed for the iPad (3)'s Retina Display requiring a lot more graphic's power. The most likely expectation is the A6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

2010 ipad 1 keynotes.

He never said the iPad would never be 7". He stated that 10" was the ideal size for 2010, hence it being the first size they released. He also very clearly stated that the current 7" tablets were DOA... and he was right. I don't know how you can get any more clear than the qualifier 'current' he used and dis not in any way state that all 7" tablets now and forever will never work in the market. On top of that we have court documents that have Apple working on a 7" tablet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I also think it is possible that they might start bringing H.265 to a new Apple TV.

Even 2013 will be cutting edge for H.265. It's not expected to be finalized until January 2013, but let's say it was ready yesterday, it's mid-August which means Apple has 2 months to take that finalized draft and then make HW decoders for that spec, then add them to their next Apple TV, and then make sure it works properly? I don't see how that could possibly happen. We'll be lucky to see H.265 in the Mac in the year 2013 and it'll probably be well after that it's added to devices running iOS.

For comparison note that H.264 was finalized in May 2003. When did the first Apple product get the HW decoder?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #46 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

I am still going to stand by my theory that the 7" device is going to be the new iPod Touch. Makes sense to me as it avoids all the controversy on how SJ said a 7" iPad did not make sense. 

To further support my theory. The 64GB iPod Touch costs the same as the iPad 2. Why would you buy a Touch if an iPad costs the same. The answer is you don't want a 10" screen. A 7" Touch solves the size and cost problems. Mark my words!

post #47 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

Ahhhh.

 

Again,

I state and maintain that Apple will NOT be releasing an iPad Mini.

This is NEVER EVER going to happen.

 

At most,

Apple will be releasing the Next Generation iPod Touch.

 

Respectfully, I think you're going to be eating your words soon enough. There's nothing uniquely special about a 10-inch screen, and nothing terrible about a 7-inch one. In fact Eddie Cue begged Steve Jobs to get on board with a 7-inch iPad! 

post #48 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post

Actually, I'm not so sure about the reversible bit anymore.  Reports are trickling in that the port only has 9 pins - it's one-sided.  So, no 18 pins, and not reversible.  Any analog audio would have to come from the headphone jack.

Ok I'll get you up to speed.

There are 17 contacts on the new pin. 8 gold contacts are repeated on each side, with the metal housing (which does not need to be duplicated) forming an additional contact.

Of course the pin it will reversible. Could you imagine how annoying it would be to plug the pin in your phone the wrong way half the time? Exactly like USB 2 and the current connector have been annoying for most of humanity the last decade. If it isn't reversible then rotational symmetry is a design flaw. It's going to be hard enough to convince everyone to ditch their accessories as it is. Apple would not make a mistake of that magnitude (especially after the antennagate experience).
post #49 of 122

iPad Mini stuff is leaking now? Tim is doing a poor job of maintaining secrecy. Ever since he made his "Doubling down on secrecy," comment, there seems to be more leaks than ever!

post #50 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post


There are 17 contacts on the new pin. 8 gold contacts are repeated on each side, with the metal housing (which does not need to be duplicated) forming an additional contact.
Of course the pin it will reversible. Could you imagine how annoying it would be to plug the pin in your phone the wrong way half the time?

 

If the connector includes the audio jack, it would be impossible to plug it in the wrong way.  So, no need for more expensive reversible cables.  Would also provide additional stability when used in a dock...

post #51 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post


These are either fake pictures or I predict the iPad mini (iBook?) will be black/white plastic.

This was exactly my thought!

Why would there be a black or white version unless its a complete redesign, and those parts at least visually appear to be made of plastic! My current and previous iPads along with my iPhones and iPod's have never had an outside 'visable' bezel on the female end. So either Apple is changing their design to plastic (which will make my current devices the last ones I purchase ever), or they are just adding thickness for no apparent reason other than to show the plastic looking bezel. In my opinion Apple wouldn't do that to a product that they keep trying to make thinner. (all iDevices)

I theorize this part is either fake as you stated, or it's for an entirely different device other than the iPad, iPhone or iPod.

Maybe Apple TV. There's plenty of room for the bezel. Plastic, if it is plastic, would not be such a problem because it's generally a 'plug and forget' device. Still doesn't explain the colors though.

If it truly is plastic then the wear and tear on a female receptacle like the charging port would be rendered virtually useless after a relatively small amount of even proper inserts... Never mind mis-aligned inserts.

So to quote what my guy friends say when someone's 'talking trash'. "I'll flag that!"

Anyway, my 2 cents on two cents worth of plastic...
post #52 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

Ahhhh.

 

Again,

I state and maintain that Apple will NOT be releasing an iPad Mini.

This is NEVER EVER going to happen.

 

At most,

Apple will be releasing the Next Generation iPod Touch.

What's the difference? Only a name.

post #53 of 122
Again it is called marketing! One of Steve's great strengths was marketing what he had no matter what the rest of the field looked like. The 7" iPad will sell well because it will fill a void in that there really isn't a versatile tablet in that size range. I suspect that eventually we will see a larger iPad maybe possibly 12". It is all about filling need and locking up the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

I am still going to stand by my theory that the 7" device is going to be the new iPod Touch. Makes sense to me as it avoids all the controversy on how SJ said a 7" iPad did not make sense. 
Again remember Steve was marketing what he had at the moment, that really has nothing to do with his opinion on other sizes of "I" devices. Remember Touch and iPhone are "I" devices too!
post #54 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

Ahhhh.

Again,
I state and maintain that Apple will NOT be releasing an iPad Mini.
This is NEVER EVER going to happen.

I could comprise a list for you of things throughout history that were "never ever going to happen". It would take me a very long time to type them into my iPad.... More time than I'm willing to invest actually, but I did think about it for a moment.
post #55 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


It's the wrong way, is all. The 15" MacBook Pro is 15.4". The 13" MacBook Air is 13.3". The 10" iPad is 9.8".

And I'm still gonna call it a 7" iPad. lol.gif

There are mathematical rules for rounding. Mathematically, 15.4 rounds to 15, 13.3 rounds to 13, and 9.8 rounds to 10.

There's no way that 7.85 would round to 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

To further support my theory. The 64GB iPod Touch costs the same as the iPad 2. Why would you buy a Touch if an iPad costs the same. The answer is you don't want a 10" screen. A 7" Touch solves the size and cost problems. Mark my words!

The other answer is that you might want more storage than 16 GB in the iPad 2. I can't imagine why you're comparing a 64 GB iPod Touch ($399) to the 16 GB iPad 2 ($399) rather than using the 8 GB iPod Touch ($199) or 32 GB iPod Touch ($299). Other than intentionally trying to distort the argument, of course.

Besides, your argument is simply one that suggests that there is room for a 7-8" device in the market - and I agree. It does not in any way justify your claim that it would be called a Touch rather than an iPad. I already presented the reasons why it makes much more sense to call it an iPad (see above).
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #56 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post


This was exactly my thought!
Why would there be a black or white version unless its a complete redesign, and those parts at least visually appear to be made of plastic! My current and previous iPads along with my iPhones and iPod's have never had an outside 'visable' bezel on the female end. So either Apple is changing their design to plastic (which will make my current devices the last ones I purchase ever), or they are just adding thickness for no apparent reason other than to show the plastic looking bezel. In my opinion Apple wouldn't do that to a product that they keep trying to make thinner. (all iDevices)
I theorize this part is either fake as you stated, or it's for an entirely different device other than the iPad, iPhone or iPod.
Maybe Apple TV. There's plenty of room for the bezel. Plastic, if it is plastic, would not be such a problem because it's generally a 'plug and forget' device. Still doesn't explain the colors though.
If it truly is plastic then the wear and tear on a female receptacle like the charging port would be rendered virtually useless after a relatively small amount of even proper inserts... Never mind mis-aligned inserts.
So to quote what my guy friends say when someone's 'talking trash'. "I'll flag that!"
Anyway, my 2 cents on two cents worth of plastic...

 

I never thought of the colour angle, I was just pointing out that the shape of the plug is wrong given the drawings we've seen and points to a design that cannot be done by cutting aluminium (i.e. - the 3GS shaped plastic back).  

 

But now that you mention it, this part is not only a different shape on my iPad, it's also not white even though I have a white iPad.  The audio jack plug is actually black on both black and white iPads and recessed more.  

 

These "iPad mini" parts therefore seem destined for black/white plastic devices of some kind.  This would make sense in that it could explain how they would be able to target the $200 price range.  

post #57 of 122
Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post
…nothing terrible about a 7-inch one.

 

Not inherently, no. But on a "tablet" there sure is.


Originally Posted by ascii View Post
iPad Mini stuff is leaking now? Tim is doing a poor job of maintaining secrecy. Ever since he made his "Doubling down on secrecy," comment, there seems to be more leaks than ever!

 

I wish people would just stop this.


Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This would make sense in that it could explain how they would be able to target the $200 price range.  

 

I love how we're pretending to know anything about it and building on those assumptions to make further ones. lol.gif

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #58 of 122

Mini iPad parts?  No way.

 

They look like parts from the HumanCentiPad.  

 

post #59 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

iPad Mini stuff is leaking now? Tim is doing a poor job of maintaining secrecy. Ever since he made his "Doubling down on secrecy," comment, there seems to be more leaks than ever!

 

Clueless statement.  This is not the old Apple making a few candy colored iMacs.  When Apple makes product now they sells MILLIONS the first day it is released.  To get all the parts they need, and get them assembled it would be impossible to hide things like Apple used to be able to.   Add in to it that there is a lot more interest paid to Apple now as well.  Every loser wants to be the first to post some info about a new Apple product,

post #60 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Fresh pictures posted on Friday claim to show both the "iPad mini" and next-gen iPhone's dock connector flex cables side-by-side, with the images hinting that Apple will launch the smaller tablet in both white and black colorways.
 

 

"Colorways."  Used to be a term exclusively used by the graphic design and interior decoration industries, referring to collections of shades deployed across ad layouts or room and being a slightly dumb sounding specialized term for "color scheme." Then pretty recently I noticed it getting used to describe the two or three colors on bikes ("Awesome colorway on your ride, bro").  Here it is, apparently meaning either black or white.  So we've got a generation of 20 something fetishists who have decided that "color' is insufficient for the lifestyle denoting choices they make.  But is is jarring to see it used this way in an AI article.

They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #61 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

 

"Colorways."  Used to be a term exclusively used by the graphic design and interior decoration industries, referring to collections of shades deployed across ad layouts or room and being a slightly dumb sounding specialized term for "color scheme." Then pretty recently I noticed it getting used to describe the two or three colors on bikes ("Awesome colorway on your ride, bro").  Here it is, apparently meaning either black or white.  So we've got a generation of 20 something fetishists who have decided that "color' is insufficient for the lifestyle denoting choices they make.  But is is jarring to see it used this way in an AI article.

 

I agree.  This is really questionable usage from AppleInsider.  "Colorways" (sic) is the kind of term you'd expect some ghetto rapper to be using, not a tech blog site.  It's bleeding edge idiocy.  Someone is just trying to be cool I suppose.  

post #62 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

That (the iPhone jack) will bend to make it closer.

 

parts of the older iphones are bent as such.  But the curve for this would have to be quite harsh considering the apparent length of the cable, and the hypothesised thinness.

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #63 of 122
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post
parts of the older iphones are bent as such.  But the curve for this would have to be quite harsh considering the apparent length of the cable, and the hypothesised thinness.

 

Looks more like a standard fold to me. I'm talking about that little bit of cable connecting the headphone jack box to the rest of the assembly.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #64 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Looks more like a standard fold to me. I'm talking about that little bit of cable connecting the headphone jack box to the rest of the assembly.

 

The headphone plug in the iphone 4 has thinner cables, that twist rather than fold over (like the lcd connector on the iphone4).


I havent pulled apart my 4s, but it wider, but no substantial bends.

 

This will create a more integrated part for Apple, but also more expensive to replace...

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #65 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post

 

Actually, I'm not so sure about the reversible bit anymore.  Reports are trickling in that the port only has 9 pins - it's one-sided.  So, no 18 pins, and not reversible.  Any analog audio would have to come from the headphone jack.

Who needs 'reports' when we have a photo, from the original site linked in the article?

 

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #66 of 122
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post
Who needs 'reports' when we have a photo, from the original site linked in the article?

 

Who says the nine pins can't be reversible?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #67 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Who says the nine pins can't be reversible?

 

Saying the port is single sided does not prevent a dual sided plug being reversible.

 

My post was providing clarification on the mentions of 'reports'

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #68 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementineOrange View Post

Not to be a hater, but that is a lot of cabling...  I would think they would have had a more efficent city planning by now that would minimize roadwork.  Consider how beautiful the board layout for the macbook retina is.

Perhaps the length of the cable is necessary to allow the parts to be connected while someone's hand's are between the parts. Its all well and good to have a 1/2" cable if the parts are being assembled robotically and never need to be taken apart etc - but without a look at the rest of the system how can you tell? 

 

 

 

Quote:
According to sources, the new layout will enhance data throughput while bringing down the size of the part by some 60 percent.

 

How does THAT work? Yeah I know shorter path for electrons = less time to transmit data etc - but how does the physical size of the connector have any impact on the data transmission rate? Should that not be a result of nearly every other factor such as protocol, serial vs parallel, number of lanes, clock rates on the chips, etc? and nearly nothing whatsoever to do with whether the connector is 1" wide or 0.4" wide? 

 

post #69 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorman. View Post

What's the difference? Only a name.

Exactly. People are hung up on the name, as if that will somehow vindicate their steadfast insistence that the 7" device would not happen. There are several posters on this site whose credibility is on the verge of being permanently erased if this device is released, regardless of what it's called.
post #70 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Looks like the Classic iPod (finally) will be discontinued.

My prediction:
new iPod  (4" Screen, A5X processor, 3mp camera) $199
new iPod  (7'' Screen A5X processor, 5mp camera, Siri) $299
new iPod nano (return of bigger screen with a small home button, bluetooth) $149
new iPod shuffle (with touch screen) $99
new iPhone (4" Screen, Quad Core, A6 processor, 10mp camera, iWallet, meet new Siri) $199, $299, $349 w/contract

iPhone 4 (free w/contract) iPhone 4S $99 w/contract

new redesigned iTunes with Twitter integration, web-version, iCloud streaming
new HD music format

That will make a great holiday quarter.

Dang, good prediction!
post #71 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I would say instead: 
(shufflle and classic discontinued)

new iPod touch (4" Screen) - $150
Shuffle is waaaay too popular as an entry level iPod.

I do however think it may get the new dock connector to allow greater compatibility with dock accessories, for which there is little available at the moment.

The exception to this is if Apple continues the Nano form factor, which is still pretty small for sports, etc. but they have to drop the price, which they might do if they also introduce a larger nano. Right now the nano seems like a more expensive duplication of the shuffle.

Then again, Apple is trying to make the shuffle as small and light as possible, so that in itself is a challenege to Apple themselves to make it ever smaller, year after year, since there is a market for this kind of device.

The iPod touch may not get updated this year until Apple sees how well the 7" tablet sells. The 7" tablet might cannibalize most of the Touch sales. In which case, why go to the expense to tool-up for a new device when it may not even sell?

As for the classic, bottom line is it still holds more music than any other portable device apple sells, besides a MacBook. It costs nothing to make, While Apple is pushing iCloud as a storage method for your music, there are a few places where you can't get access to it -- backcountry camping, hiking and backpacking, third world countries, ocean travel, etc. and the classic offers something else none of the other devices have ... Tremendous battery life, to keep your device playing all that music without a recharge. 128GB flash is cheap enough I could see Apple going SSD, reducing the capacity, and prolonging battery life. But otherwise keeping this durable portable music device, until such time the other iDevices can offer similar storage options with the same performance.
post #72 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Exactly. People are hung up on the name, as if that will somehow vindicate their steadfast insistence that the 7" device would not happen. There are several posters on this site whose credibility is on the verge of being permanently erased if this device is released, regardless of what it's called.


LOL - that would be everyone losing credibility who makes Apple predictions. Digitimes at the top of the list. Even John Gruber. People like to debate and guess and it is near impossible to have high accuracy. But debating and guessing is part of the fun.
post #73 of 122
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post
There are several posters on this site whose credibility is on the verge of being permanently erased if this device is released, regardless of what it's called.

 

No one on this site has any credibility about Apple releases. None of us are actual insiders there.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #74 of 122

So the new iDevices coming out will have black and white sides???? (the nano sim card tray was black in a recent photo) Why are they going to be black and white again? Why not colors like when they did with the 1998 iMac? I mean I know they can't blend glass, ( the front definately would have to stay black but they can color the sides and rear metal like in the iPod Shuffles or Nano's.... Whatever happened to colors? Are we living in a black and white world where colors don't exist anymore? And don't tell me to slip a case on it, they're ugly.

post #75 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post

 

If the connector includes the audio jack, it would be impossible to plug it in the wrong way.  So, no need for more expensive reversible cables.  Would also provide additional stability when used in a dock...

 

Like I said above, the new 8-pin docking port connector WILL be reversible. The 8-pin to 30-pin adaptor, however, will not be reversible, because it will also use the audio jack plug to deliver the proper audio and digital connections to older 30-pin plugs.

post #76 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post

If the connector includes the audio jack, it would be impossible to plug it in the wrong way.  So, no need for more expensive reversible cables.  Would also provide additional stability when used in a dock...

I think we are talking about different things.

The leaked apple-designed cable does not mate with the audio jack so will be reversible.

Dock-like devices that tap audio will make use of the audio jack. In these devices the male connectors will not need to be double-sided; the desired orientation is fixed (ie screen to the front).
post #77 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

 

Like I said above, the new 8-pin docking port connector WILL be reversible. The 8-pin to 30-pin adaptor, however, will not be reversible, because it will also use the audio jack plug to deliver the proper audio and digital connections to older 30-pin plugs.

You mean like this ...

 

That's all well and good. But then why make the connector reversible? Obviously in such a dock it does not need to be -- in fact in the case of the pictured adapter, I'm sure in a reversible 8 pin configuration, the connector will only have pins on one side.

 

So Apple is going to all of this trouble to make a reversible dock connector for a phone that can already synch wirelessly with a Mac? Who's actually going to plug it into a Mac? So this is strictly for charging then? In which case, why bother with all those other pins on the connector? Yes, the phone can have the pins for docking purposes, but the standard cable used 99.9% for charging only, doesn't, and certainly doesn't need to be reversible, especially if using it for anything else but charging there is a 1/8" audio plug connected to it. So Apple's going to sell two cables, one for charging and connecting to your Mac that's reversible, and the other for accessories that's not? The only other option is to sell that adapter and continue to sell the old 30 pin dock connector for use with accessories, but that seems very unlike Apple to have such an inelegant solution.

 

I'm thinking that adapter looks very unlike Apple too. Very clumsy. Yes, the Shuffle has it, but that's strictly a unique case. The Shuffle is so light, you have to handle it with two hands anyway, and the shuffle is likely to get the new dock connector anyway. I can't see it in a dock where you have to hold the dock down with your hands to pull it off that audio plug (which won't be very attractive when the iPhone is not docked). And if this is how it will work because it only has 8 pins, then every dock will have to have them to offer analogue audio. Which means all those universal docks that plugged into the headphone port are going to have their work cut out for them to accommodate this ( though this is not Apple's problem). 

 

I'm also wondering how it's going to work in the car, when you use the adapter to plug it into your legacy charger, and try to use your earbud at the same time. 

 

THere may be a reversible dock connector, but I don't see this audio plug combo happening. 


Edited by Mac_128 - 8/19/12 at 4:36pm
post #78 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

 

That's all well and good. But then why make the connector reversible? 

 

Because they're Apple? They'll make it reversible for the same reason they made MagSafe reversible. Because to do otherwise is to have millions of people fumbling first one way, then another trying to plug in their iPhone or iPad. Remember, most people use cables, not docks.

post #79 of 122
Ahmico, I'm not questioning whether the new dock connector will be reversible, it makes perfect sense to do it ... I'm calling into question the validity of your assertion that the dock connectors and adapters will look like the one pictured. It's a mess and I doubt Apple will do it. If they do, then there's no reason to have it reversible since it will only insert in one direction.

However, if they really are using 19 pins, then it won't be reversible either, and there's no need for it to be. The next iPhone, synchs wirelessly. The only reason to plug it in then is to charge it, and people will do what they've been doing since the first iPod, try it and twist it once the other direction if it doesn't fit. It's not rocket surgery.

I'm all for a reversible dock connector like MagSafe, but not at the cost of hideous dock connectors like the adapter pictured, which if true negates the whole reason for having a reversible one.
post #80 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Because they're Apple? They'll make it reversible for the same reason they made MagSafe reversible. Because to do otherwise is to have millions of people fumbling first one way, then another trying to plug in their iPhone or iPad. Remember, most people use cables, not docks.

Because they're Apple and yet no non-cylindrical data connector of theirs has ever been reversible? I'm not following how you've made such a huge leap. The MagSafe is just for DC power and that means it only has three connector types, positive, negative and neutral. With data you're talking about a rumoured 8 to 17 pins that will require sophisticated and complex circuitry to make it reversible. It can be done and no other company is better suited for making this a reality but that is not the same as it being guaranteed because they're Apple when they have absolutely no history of this.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New high-res photos of black, white 'iPad mini' and next-gen iPhone dock connector cables