or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New high-res photos of black, white 'iPad mini' and next-gen iPhone dock connector cables

New high-res photos of black, white 'iPad mini' and next-gen iPhone dock connector cables - Page 3

post #81 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

... There may be a reversible dock connector, but I don't see this audio plug combo happening. 

I think you might see something like this from Apple.  

The most likely explanation as to how they were able to go from 30 pins to 9, is that aside from dropping legacy things like Firewire support, they also dropped all video and audio out based on the premise that the future for this sort of thing is wireless.  The idea seems to be that by dropping it now, the plug won't have to be re-designed in five years when no one is using wires anymore.  It also promotes the use of wireless over wires.  

If all that is true, then this kind of adapter will be necessary for newer devices to work with older docks and I wouldn't be surprised at all if Apple produced them in small quantities for the first year of the transition or so.  There will also be thousands of these things produced illegally in China and sold around the world probably.  

post #82 of 122
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post
The most likely explanation as to how they were able to go from 30 pins to 9, is that aside from dropping legacy things like Firewire support, they also dropped all video and audio out based on the premise that the future for this sort of thing is wireless.

Or at least analog audio. If they're dropping all video and audio, I'm not sure how that'll be received.

I can see them doing it, sure, since AirPlay works so well, but when an Apple TV is $99 and a 6' HDMI cable is $3… 

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #83 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think you might see something like this from Apple.  

The most likely explanation as to how they were able to go from 30 pins to 9, is that aside from dropping legacy things like Firewire support, they also dropped all video and audio out based on the premise that the future for this sort of thing is wireless.  The idea seems to be that by dropping it now, the plug won't have to be re-designed in five years when no one is using wires anymore.  It also promotes the use of wireless over wires.  

If all that is true, then this kind of adapter will be necessary for newer devices to work with older docks and I wouldn't be surprised at all if Apple produced them in small quantities for the first year of the transition or so.  There will also be thousands of these things produced illegally in China and sold around the world probably.  

1) I see no chance of Apple using the audio jack as a way of getting audio out of the dock connector. You're not only making it kludgy but adding many limitations to the way future iDevices from the iPod Nano to the iPad can be designed by putting the headphone jack exactly the same distanct from the dock connector for many years to come. Think back on how many types, models and designs Apple has had over the last nine years of using the 30-pin connector. If they go that route it's a complete failure of engineering.

2) You haven't accounted for video in your "5 year plan." You also haven't accounted for legacy options that could exceed 5 years for many people. Consider wireless syncing and OS updates now. It was added as an addition to, not an either/or. The most likely explanation is that Apple is using more sophisticated HW that will allow for using the rumoured 8-17 pins in the way that is most appropriate. It's all just electronic signals so if the device knows it's connected to a Component cable then it can send out data that is most appropriate. Apple has probably learned a lot about intelligent cabling from Thunderbolt... and we're not talking about intelligence like we have with TB, just the cable letting the device know what it is, which is comparably simple.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #84 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View PostWith data you're talking about a rumoured 8 to 17 pins that will require sophisticated and complex circuitry to make it reversible.

Complex and sophisticated? On an 8-pin connector? Hell, you can run USB 2.0 on 4 wires, which means if the connectors are solid and pass through I could make it reversible just by mirroring the lines on both halves (12344321) on both sides. If they DON'T pass through, then a simple double-sided circuit board type of layout means I could run 12345678 on one side and 87654321 on the other. No "sophisticated and complex circuitry" needed whatsoever.

Come on people, THINK before you make these types of proclamations.

Add the shield as ground, BTW, and you have the 9 needed to make USB 3.0 cook. 

And they'll do it because it's the kind of no-fuss, no-muss end-user friendly engineering they've been doing the last four or five years.

post #85 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Complex and sophisticated? On an 8-pin connector? Hell, you can run USB 2.0 on 4 wires, which means if the connectors are solid and pass through I could make it reversible just by mirroring the lines on both halves (12344321) on both sides. If they DON'T pass through, then a simple double-sided circuit board type of layout means I could run 12345678 on one side and 87654321 on the other. No "sophisticated and complex circuitry" needed whatsoever.

Come on people, THINK before you make these types of 
proclamations.

Add the shield as ground, BTW, and you have the 9 needed to make USB 3.0 cook. 

And they'll do it because it's the kind of no-fuss, no-muss end-user friendly 
engineering they've been doing the last four or five years.

Speaking of thinking, you think 5 or 10 years from now USB 2.0 will be sufficient for the same dock connector? Speaking of thinking, you don't know that USB 3.0 is 9 pins. Speaking of thinking you don't think a 17 pin design in the cable that uses a 9 pin design in the device doesn't add an unprecedented level of complexity or sophistication. Speaking of thinking, you don't think including circuitry that will allow for any number of transmission protocols over 9 wires based on the cable connected doesn't add an unprecedented level of complexity or sophistication. Speaking of thinking, indeed.

post #86 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You're not only making it kludgy but adding many limitations to the way future iDevices from the iPod Nano to the iPad can be designed by putting the headphone jack exactly the same distanct from the dock connector for many years to come.

You're not thinking again. This kind of connector is a transition device. Nothing more, nothing less. Apple probably knows within a week just how often people transition docks and speakers and other accessories (18 months), and an adaptor like this one gets them over that hump, after which people will simply byte the bullet and upgrade the rest of their gear.

post #87 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat09 View Post

So the new iDevices coming out will have black and white sides???? (the nano sim card tray was black in a recent photo) Why are they going to be black and white again? Why not colors like when they did with the 1998 iMac? I mean I know they can't blend glass, ( the front definately would have to stay black but they can color the sides and rear metal like in the iPod Shuffles or Nano's.... Whatever happened to colors? Are we living in a black and white world where colors don't exist anymore? And don't tell me to slip a case on it, they're ugly.

I love you!

I'm soooo waiting for a green iPhone! Like the mini colors!
post #88 of 122
Quote:

You're not thinking again. This kind of connector is a transition device. Nothing more, nothing less. Apple probably knows within a week just how often people transition docks and speakers and other accessories (18 months), and an adaptor like this one gets them over that hump, after which people will simply byte the bullet and upgrade the rest of their gear.

That's fucking stupid! Seriously! They've used the same connector style for nearly a decade and you're proposing as the only viable option a temporary stand in option that will completely kill the accessories market. A solution that will won't allow any video or audio line-out. It's a damn good thing you don't work for Apple.

post #89 of 122
Quote:

You mean like this ...

THere may be a reversible dock connector, but I don't see this audio plug combo happening. 

The setup of plug plus headphone plug is just so unappealing.  Sure a headphone plug was used for shuffle, but this is worse.

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #90 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

The setup of plug plus headphone plug is just so unappealing.  Sure a headphone plug was used for shuffle, but this is worse.

But that was the only port on the Shuffle. It was a brilliant design. It's also a very small capacity device. Besides being unappealing it's suggesting that iPods, iPhone and iPads would all have the headphone jack the exact same distance from the dock connector because Apple wouldn't put in the number of pins and/or circuitry to allow for the additional features of the dock connector port. That all sounds ludicrous.

post #91 of 122
Quote:

Speaking of thinking, you think 5 or 10 years from now USB 2.0 will be sufficient for the same dock connector? Speaking of thinking, you don't know that USB 3.0 is 9 pins. Speaking of thinking you don't think a 17 pin design in the cable that uses a 9 pin design in the device doesn't add an unprecedented level of complexity or sophistication. Speaking of thinking, you don't think including circuitry that will allow for any number of transmission protocols over 9 wires based on the cable connected doesn't add an unprecedented level of complexity or sophistication. Speaking of thinking, indeed.

No, I don't think 2.0 will suffice, that's why I mentioned USB 3.0, the standard implementation of which uses 9-pins. However, with Apple doing a custom plug, I doubt their implementation will be standard. And I don't doubt their implementation will be sophisticated. I merely stated that you don't needs tons of "sophisticated" circuitry to do a reversible 8-pin (plus ground) connector.

post #92 of 122
Quote:

No, I don't think 2.0 will suffice, that's why I mentioned USB 3.0, the standard implementation of which uses 9-pins. However, with Apple doing a custom plug, I doubt their implementation will be standard. And I don't doubt their implementation will be sophisticated. I merely stated that you don't needs tons of "sophisticated" circuitry to do a reversible 8-pin (plus ground) connector.

1) So you think a reversible 8-pin plug for a 9-pin USB 3.0 standard is neither complex nor sophisticated? Really?

2) If you're talking 9 pins on the device that means there is 17 on the cable or 5 pins on the device which means 8 pins on the cable. That is both sophisticate and complex. Show me another non-cylindrial data cable that works the same way.

3) So lets consider your 8 pin design and then consider that USB 3.0 used 9 pins. Then lets consider the other pins that video out and audio line-out need, not to mention the other pins Apple has used and still uses in their dock connector for the accessories they have. Tell me how killing off the accessories market is your idea of thinking.

post #93 of 122
Quote:

That's fucking stupid! Seriously! They've used the same connector style for nearly a decade and you're proposing as the only viable option a temporary stand in option that will completely kill the accessories market. A solution that will won't allow any video or audio line-out. It's a damn good thing you don't work for Apple.

Kill it? Or reboot it? After all, how many speaker docks do you need? But as more and more devices incorporate the new standard, it becomes more and more likely that someone will decide to replace their "obsolete" dock or speakers... resulting in more accessory sales, not less.

Audio line out? Ummm... well, I suspect we're (you're) in for a surprise there. You do know the new cables are chipped, right?

As for video out, yeah, it's as dead as the CD/DVD slot and the serial port. AirPlay over WiFi and low-powered Bluetooth 4.0 are the future. 

Edited by ahmlco - 8/19/12 at 9:30pm
post #94 of 122
Quote:

1) So you think a reversible 8-pin plug for a 9-pin USB 3.0 standard is neither complex nor sophisticated? Really?
2) If you're talking 9 pins on the device that means there is 17 on the cable or 5 pins on the device which means 8 pins on the cable. That is both sophisticate and complex. Show me another non-cylindrial data cable that works the same way.
3) So lets consider your 8 pin design and then consider that USB 3.0 used 9 pins. Then lets consider the other pins that video out and audio line-out need, not to mention the other pins Apple has used and still uses in their dock connector for the accessories they have. Tell me how killing off the accessories market is your idea of thinking.

Sigh. I did say "8-pin (plus ground)" did I not? Have you not seen the... ah... proposed photos of the new connector?

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/alleged-photos-of-new-dock-connector-surface/

The metal plug is the ground and as such is, in itself, the "9th" pin.

And again, please try to read for comprehension. I said you don't needs tons of "sophisticated" circuitry just to do a reversible 8-pin (plus ground) connector. You implied that doing a reversible connector would add a ton of additional complexity.

post #95 of 122
Quote:

Sigh. I did say "8-pin (plus ground)" did I not? Have you not seen the... ah... proposed photos of the new connector?

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/alleged-photos-of-new-dock-connector-surface/

The metal plug is the ground and as such is, in itself, the "9th" pin.

And again, please try to read for comprehension. I said you don't needs tons of "sophisticated" circuitry just to do a reversible 8-pin (plus ground) connector. You implied that doing a reversible connector would add a ton of additional complexity.

You wrote "On an 8-pin connector". If you don't know that the ground is a pin simply because it's not inline with the other pins really means you're out of your depth in talking about port interface designs.

Yes, it needs to be sophisticated if you want the cable's interface to be 9 pins yet want it to be reversible and have all the important features of the current dock connector.

post #96 of 122
Quote:

You wrote "On an 8-pin connector". If you don't know that the ground is a pin simply because it's not inline with the other pins really means you're out of your depth in talking about port interface designs.
Yes, it needs to be sophisticated if you want the cable's interface to be 9 pins yet want it to be reversible and have all the important features of the current dock connector.

Usually you're 'spot on' but I think you're just 'nit picking' his post. His statement was largely true in conventional thought and I'm almost sure you know it.

There isn't enough material in these pictures to pinpoint anything definitive about... really anything. Let alone which device it my belong to or the means of grounding.

As an aside... I do still believe, after viewing several times, it looks like plastic.
post #97 of 122
Quote:

You wrote "On an 8-pin connector". If you don't know that the ground is a pin simply because it's not inline with the other pins really means you're out of your depth in talking about port interface designs. Yes, it needs to be sophisticated if you want the cable's interface to be 9 pins yet want it to be reversible and have all the important features of the current dock connector.

Everyone else -- including you -- was hell bent on discussing the "8-pin" connector, I went along. (grin)

And I DON'T expect the new dock connector to have all of the same features as the current version. If Apple were going to make it exactly the same, why switch at all? The new dock connecter is for streaming data at high speed. No old-school audio-only lines. No old-school composite or component video out lines. 

You want audio out or mic in? Use the phono plug. You want data and power, use the new plug. You want to keep your old speaker dock for a while? Use the dock/plug to 30-pin adaptor.

Like I said, Apple has been laying its audio/video groundwork for the future for a while now, and that future is AirPlay. This is a transition. Some things are going to be lost. Accept it, move on, or buy an Android phone.

post #98 of 122
Quote:

I have to disagree with your thought here. The iDevice line owes at least a very small, if not larger, part of their success to the universal charger and adapter. I really think Apple held onto this as long as they could without holding themselves back. So far from everything I have studied they seem to be a long term company. They owe their success right now to their ability to slowly take over a market.

Before I get lambasted, I mean slowly like doubling pennies. Take one penny and double it every day.
post #99 of 122

BTW, a lot of people will probably cry about the "failings" of the new dock connector... right up to the point where they can sync and move data 10x faster.

post #100 of 122
Quote:

Everyone else -- including you -- was hell bent on discussing the "8-pin" connector, I went along. (grin)

And I DON'T expect the new dock connector to have all of the same features as the current version. If Apple were going to make it exactly the same, why switch at all? The new dock connecter is for streaming data at high speed. No old-school audio-only lines. No old-school composite or component video out lines. 

You want audio out or mic in? Use the phono plug. You want data and power, use the new plug. You want to keep your old speaker dock for a while? Use the dock/plug to 30-pin adaptor.

Like I said, Apple has been laying its audio/video groundwork for the future for a while now, and that future is AirPlay. This is a transition. Some things are going to be lost. Accept it, move on, or buy an Android phone.

I believe he just didn't like the "short term" reference. I could be wrong...
post #101 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

I have to disagree with your thought here. The iDevice line owes at least a very small, if not larger, part of their success to the universal charger and adapter. I really think Apple held onto this as long as they could without holding themselves back. So far from everything I have studied they seem to be a long term company. They owe their success right now to their ability to slowly take over a market.
Before I get lambasted, I mean slowly like doubling pennies. Take one penny and double it every day.

Well, there's two things operating here. One is that the existing dock connector has become, relatively speaking, huge. Apple loves to make things smaller and thinner. Big plugs (like we saw with EtherNet and FW on the new MBP) are in the way.

Second, USB 2.0 is slow, and their competition is going to move along to USB 3.0. As SolipsismX pointed out, Apple can't stay tied to USB 2.0 forever.

Apple is definitely a long term company. But "long term" also means planning for the future. Look at Serial, Parallel, ADB, FW400, VGA, FW800, EN, CD/DVD... Apple's not afraid of dropping old technology and moving forward.

post #102 of 122
Quote:

I believe he just didn't like the "short term" reference. I could be wrong...

Well, think about it. Either Apple is going to transition to a new port, or they're not. If they do, there's going to be a transition period, so the question then becomes, how long?

I say 18 months or less. Long enough for pretty much the entire current base to transition to the next iPhone, or next year's, depending on their contract cycle. 

Which in turn means that Apple has to only maintain the "adaptor" dock/plug configuration for this phone and the next, plus next years iPad, plus any new iPods, etc., that may come along. Which is pretty easy to do, since all of those designs are already in the pipe.

So. 18 months. That's "short term".

post #103 of 122
Quote:

Well, think about it. Either Apple is going to transition to a new port, or they're not. If they do, there's going to be a transition period, so the question then becomes, how long?

I say 18 months or less. Long enough for pretty much the entire current base to transition to the next iPhone, or next year's, depending on their contract cycle. 

Which in turn means that Apple has to only maintain the "adaptor" dock/plug configuration for this phone and the next, plus next years iPad, plus any new iPods, etc., that may come along. Which is pretty easy to do, since all of those designs are already in the pipe.

So. 18 months. That's "short term".

Ooooh! I understand your point I think. You're saying they would transition immediately, but offer an adapter for a short 'transition' period.

Yea... From reading your other posts it would be hard to extrapolate that thought. If that's your point, then I agree.

Edit: You did fail to mention "adapter" in your previous posts. Some people here get 'up-tight' if you're not specific. Sol is not usually one of them.
Edited by Vadania - 8/19/12 at 10:44pm
post #104 of 122
Quote:

Ooooh! I understand your point I think. You're saying they would transition immediately, but offer an adapter for a short 'transition' period.
Yea... From reading your other posts it would be hard to extrapolate that thought. If that's your point, then I agree.

Well, yes and no. You still have to move all of the iDevices over to the new dock, and there's another transition period there. The new iPhone is first. I suspect most of the "fall" iPod line will make the leap. The 7" iPad. Then next spring for the new new 10" iPad to make the jump.

So by spring/summer of next year, all of the iDevices will have jumped. By the same time the following year, nearly all of the current user base will have jumped and everyone will be ready for newer, faster, more modern accessories. 

post #105 of 122
Quote:

Well, yes and no. You still have to move all of the iDevices over to the new dock, and there's another transition period there. The new iPhone is first. I suspect most of the "fall" iPod line will make the leap. The 7" iPad. Then next spring for the new new 10" iPad to make the jump.

So by spring/summer of next year, all of the iDevices will have jumped. By the same time the following year, nearly all of the current user base will have jumped and everyone will be ready for newer, faster, more modern accessories. 

Yes. I 100% agree. If they introduce a new dock, the old one will get phased out further with each new generation of device, similar to their Mac lineup.

However, just because we think it could possibly happen that way doesn't mean that it will...

Anyway, cool chat!

I still think the part in that picture is not going to be in an iDevice... Again, I could clearly be wrong.
post #106 of 122
Quote:

Edit: You did fail to mention "adapter" in your previous posts. Some people here get 'up-tight' if you're not specific. Sol is not usually one of them.

Well, again there are two things. Apple will switch to a new docking port for new and future iDevices. (8/9 pin) And Apple will provide a new dock/phono plug to 30-pin adaptor (similar to that shown above) so new iDevices with the new port can still be used with existing docks, speakers, and so on.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

post #107 of 122
Quote:

I've never discussed it as an 8 pin design. I've always qualified my comment to note it's a rumour and usually refer to it as 8 to 17 pins. I've even said that when excluding the FW pins, the unused pins for future growth, and the iPod Photo pins that 17 would still be very difficult and allow for no future growth. Now you want this to be reversible but make no consideration how the pins will be able to switch from the top bottom without affecting the device or how that could half the effective number of pins thus causing the device and/or cable to be more complex and sophisticated over a cable with 30 individual pins that are not reversible and are not used across different mechanisms. The very fact that you haven't considered any and therefore don't consider such an advanced setup as either sophisticated or complex compared to the current design is proof you are not comprehending what is involved with this process.

post #108 of 122
Quote:

I always expect people to be specific in a specific discussion. Saying "that's what's I meant" when they clearly haven't thought about the issue at hand is not a valid excuse when you finally understand the finer points of the engineering.

post #109 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That (the iPhone jack) will bend to make it closer.

I thought the cable did not look like it was bent

post #110 of 122
The thought occurs to me that there is an ACTUAL cable pictured here that connects to the actual dock connector.

Wouldn't it be a simple matter of the people in possession of this cable to dissect it and determine if there are only 9 lines coming from the connector or 17?

I mean seriously, if it were reversible then there would only be 9 traces? Right? Why waste space duplicating the same wires on both sides and merging them at the soure, when merging them at the connector makes more sense.

Seems like that would be easy to spot. Anybody know how to get in touch with these guys?
post #111 of 122
Quote:

The thought occurs to me that there is an ACTUAL cable pictured here that connects to the actual dock connector.
Wouldn't it be a simple matter of the people in possession of this cable to dissect it and determine if there are only 9 lines coming from the connector or 17?
I mean seriously, if it were reversible then there would only be 9 traces? Right? Why waste space duplicating the same wires on both sides and merging them at the soure, when merging them at the connector makes more sense.
Seems like that would be easy to spot. Anybody know how to get in touch with these guys?

The dock is single sided (8+plug = 9).  I included a picture from the orig site earlier in this tread.

post #112 of 122
Quote:

I've never discussed it as an 8 pin design. I've always qualified my comment to note it's a rumour and usually refer to it as 8 to 17 pins. I've even said that when excluding the FW pins, the unused pins for future growth, and the iPod Photo pins that 17 would still be very difficult and allow for no future growth. Now you want this to be reversible but make no consideration how the pins will be able to switch from the top bottom without affecting the device or how that could half the effective number of pins thus causing the device and/or cable to be more complex and sophisticated over a cable with 30 individual pins that are not reversible and are not used across different mechanisms. The very fact that you haven't considered any and therefore don't consider such an advanced setup as either sophisticated or complex compared to the current design is proof you are not comprehending what is involved with this process.

I say again my last. The "future" is wireless. The future is data only. That's where "future growth" comes from. And for high speed sync or otherwise, anything -- video, audio, you name it -- can be streamed via USB 3.0 as data. No analog anything.

And as to "no consideration", I say again what I've said above at least twice. It would be extremely simple to wrap the connector shell around what would be the equivalent of a double-sided circuit board, in which the "pin" traces run one way on one side and are flipped on the other. Contact is only made with one side, regardless of orientation. It's very elegant and the exact opposite of your original statement, "With data you're talking about a rumoured 8 to 17 pins that will require sophisticated and complex circuitry to make it reversible."

But hey, if you consider a double-sided PCB to be "sophisticated and complex circuitry", then I'm sorry you flunked EE.

So...

1) It will have 8 "pins" plus ground.

2) It will be USB 2.0/3.0 compatible.

3) It will be reversible.

4) And it will become ubiquitous.

I'm bookmarking the page, so you can skulk back here on the 12th and offer your apologies...

post #113 of 122
4) And it will become ubiquitous.

Other than the fact that Apple won't let anyone use it. lol.gif

I'm ignoring the rest because we can't actually know any of that at all.

post #114 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

The dock is single sided (8+plug = 9).  I included a picture from the orig site earlier in this tread.
I saw that picture but you can't tell anything about it. Are you saying the original site said it was single sided? Then why are we having a debate about it?
post #115 of 122
Quote:

Because they're Apple? They'll make it reversible for the same reason they made MagSafe reversible. Because to do otherwise is to have millions of people fumbling first one way, then another trying to plug in their iPhone or iPad. Remember, most people use cables, not docks.

I think I have about 5 docking station devices - and at least 8 cables - and use them all on a regular basis - depending on where in the house or car I happen to be at any given time. 

post #116 of 122
Quote:

Other than the fact that Apple won't let anyone use it. lol.gif

I'm ignoring the rest because we can't actually know any of that at all.

As with the rest, you'll see on the 12th.

What I find to be really interesting is that the design is what USB3 should have been in the first place...

post #117 of 122
As with the rest, you'll see on the 12th.

Do you claim to have inside knowledge?

What I find to be really interesting is that the design is what USB3 should have been in the first place...

Oh boy, here we go. Down come swooping the USB 3 proponents… lol.gif

I think Solipsism said it best… er… I can't remember what he said, so I can't say it as best he can. Oh! It was just earlier in this thread! Good:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Indeed. What Apple does, provided they do it right, should be incredibly interesting.

But of course there's always the other option: they've dropped all video and data syncing (AirPlay and Air… what is it) in favor of just a charging port…

post #118 of 122
Quote:

Oh boy, here we go. Down come swooping the USB 3 proponents… lol.gif

I think Solipsism said it best… er… I can't remember what he said, so I can't say it as best he can. Oh! It was just earlier in this thread! Good:

Indeed. What Apple does, provided they do it right, should be incredibly interesting.

But of course there's always the other option: they've dropped all video and data syncing (AirPlay and Air… what is it) in favor of just a charging port…

As has been indicated several times, it appears that there are 8 "pins", plus the connector plug itself, for a total of 9. 

And nope, it will still support high-speed data. Not everyone, just for one example, is signed up for iTunes match.

post #119 of 122
And nope, it will still support high-speed data.

I ask again,

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

post #120 of 122

I can't claim anything.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New high-res photos of black, white 'iPad mini' and next-gen iPhone dock connector cables