or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Motorola files new ITC suit against Apple, claims patent infringement [u]

Motorola files new ITC suit against Apple, claims patent infringement [u]

post #1 of 90
Google-owned Motorola on Friday filed its second U.S. International Trade Commission suit against Apple, claiming the iPhone, iPad and certain Mac computers infringe on owned patents.

Update: Bloomberg now reports Motorola Mobility said the ITC complaint "claims infringement of seven Motorola Mobility patents on features including location reminders, e-mail notification and phone/video players."

While details are scarce, Bloomberg notes the ITC suit could result in a U.S. import ban of Apple products using the patents Motorola claims are being infringed upon. The exact patents and allegations remain unknown as the filing has not yet been made available to the public.

The new ITC filing is the second such complaint from Motorola, the first stemming from failed licensing negotiations dating back to 2010. Apple entered counter-claims saying that Google Android handsets, including those made by Motorola, copy the Cupertino, Calif., company's own patents. The countersuit ultimately failed, and Motorola was cleared of the charges in March. Apple is currently in the process of appealing the ruling.

The ITC is set to rule on a review of an April finding in which Trade Judge Thomas Pender deemed Apple violated one of the four Motorola patents in question. The full commission's decision is expected to be handed down on Aug. 24.

Motorola

Motorola issued a statement regarding the situation, which reads, ?We would like to settle these patent matters, but Apple?s unwillingness to work out a license leaves us little choice but to defend ourselves and our engineers? innovations."

Apple did not issue an official response.
post #2 of 90

Why isn't this just part of the other one?

post #3 of 90

Just kiss and make up already. 

I blame the Patent office. Everyone working there should be fired. If they did their jobs right none of this would be happening. 

A patent from the Patent office means nothing. 

New patent office= Court system.

Thats the only way to validate or invalidate a patent these days. 

post #4 of 90

The Empire strikes back. We are in the midst of the "thermonuclear" one. 

post #5 of 90

How do you spell thermonuclear? 

post #6 of 90
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

"I-n-n-o-v-a-t-e- -d-o-n-'-t- -l-i-t-i-g-a-t-e."

😉

post #7 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"I-n-n-o-v-a-t-e- -d-o-n-'-t- -l-i-t-i-g-a-t-e."

😉

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

l-a-w-y-e-r-s.

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #8 of 90

Why doesn't this just say, "Google files new ITC suit against Apple..." I mean, really, at this point, there's no more pretending that Google isn't calling the shots, and that Motorola is only a front.

post #9 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Why doesn't this just say, "Google files new ITC suit against Apple..." I mean, really, at this point, there's no more pretending that Google isn't calling the shots, and that Motorola is only a front.

Yep as Motorola is a wholly owned subsidiary Google has officially become a patent troll.

Buying a company for their patents and using it for litigation.

btw has Motorola released anything new since the takeover, apart from lawsuits?

/sits back and waits for the apologists, whether paid or not.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #10 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Yep as Motorola is a wholly owned subsidiary Google has officially become a patent troll.

Motorola makes about 27 phones a year, millions of cable boxes ect.. 

If Moto is a paten troll so is apple. 

post #11 of 90
Quote:

Normally, I'm on your side anonymouse... however, let's not forget that Motorola did (arguably) invent the cell phone so I will cut them some slack.  What I won't cut slack for is the (conveniently??) lack of information in this new filing.  Google is more the b!tch than anyone else.

If it's for a valid claim, so be it.  However, if Google is in fact calling the shots then it's a sad state for a formally big player in the mobile industry.

post #12 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

I blame the Patent office. Everyone working there should be fired. If they did their jobs right none of this would be happening. 

Uh, no. That's the way it has always worked. It's just getting more news coverage these days so people think Apple is doing something new.

post #13 of 90
Quote:

While I am certainly no apologist, Moto was going through a pretty rough patch, and I'm sure keeping the product releases steady was a struggle. They did just announce an event for September 5th, so we should see some pretty top-shelf hardware at the very least.

post #14 of 90
Quote:

Except that Google only bought Motorola Mobility, not the rest of it. Cable boxes were not part of the deal. Neither was anything else. That's called Motorola Solutions.

post #15 of 90
Quote:

Google the patent troll.

Motorola the struggling company bought solely for their patents for use in litigation.

So which specific NEW models has Google released via their subsidiary, since the takeover?

post #16 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

If you're going to troll, at least do it effectively. 

Moto's products are lousy and so is their service. Derivative, undifferentiated junk (unless "fugly" counts as differentiation.) There's a *reason* they needed a buyout. They were tanking. But I'm sure that's what Sanjay Jha told the board: "B-b-but we invented the cellphone like 30 years ago! Impossible" Uh-huh.

Those who fail to re-invent their business end up as buyout-bait with nothing left but an old trove of patents, most of which they try to wield around (as in: abuse) for FRAND licensing dollars. Like an old hooker way past her sell-by date.

Google didn't buy them for the 27 flavours of crap they churn out, or cable boxes (LOL) or toasters. Or whatever else that is no longer relevant. Google bought them for one reason only: PATENTS. $12.5 billion to purchase patents to be wielded against competitors at a later date (not very successfully), while letting Moto go to complete shit. Because 1) Google doesn't really have any meaningful patents of their own, and they *knew* at some point they'd have to answer for their theft, and 2) because they're a bottom-feeding ad company that isn't above remedying 1 by behaving like 2.

post #17 of 90
Quote:

Quote:

They released about 4000 employees.

post #18 of 90
Originally Posted by quinney View Post
They released about 4000 employees.

Now they're even copying Apple's BAD decisions!

post #19 of 90

Just change the title to "Google files new ITC suit against Apple, claims patent infringement". It's very clear that Google uses the Motorola brand to sue Apple and spin it like Google doesn't do such stuff. Google is a really hypocrite company spewing lies and misleading the public opinion for years now. It's time to rip off Google's mask so everyone sees Google's real face of evil.

post #20 of 90
Quote:

That's all patents have ever been-- the right to sue over something.  (Just like registered trademarks or copyrights.)  It's been that way for over a hundred years... the Wright Brothers spent decades in patent litigation protecting their one flight control patent.  What you're really complaining about is that the patent office has too low a bar for "obvious to a practitioner of the craft", but "obvious" is a difficult thing to judge after the fact.

post #21 of 90

With all that money I'm surprised Apple hasn't launched its own satellite network to offer their own access to networks, so carriers, phone companies and cellular patents get out of the picture... (it will be all apple's own technology)

imagine buying apple products that are already connected to each other without paying for internet access or carrier plans! That will be a HIT! ;-)˜

post #22 of 90
Quote:

I hope these f@kers will run out of money litigating with Apple.

post #23 of 90
EDIT:  Deleted since I referred to the wrong poster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

I hope these f@kers will run out of money litigating with Apple.

Since Google owns Motorola I doubt that they are going anywhere anytime soon.

Edited by diddy - 8/17/12 at 6:29pm
post #24 of 90
Quote:

Exactly!
post #25 of 90
Quote:

Try to keep up newbie! He clearly said Google is officially now a patent troll, not Motorola. Google bought Motorola primarily for access to their patents because they invented nothing and stole a significant amount of IP to put into Android.
post #26 of 90

Email notifications on a mobile device?  Didn't Apple have email notifications on a laptop LONG before Motorola got this patent submitted?  Isn't a Laptop a mobile device?  Laptops aren't stationary, I know that.  Music/video players on a mobile device?  These are common on computer based devices since they could first have email, music/video players.

These patents are what i call CHICKEN-(*^% patents.  Hey, I put a video player in a phone.  I get a patent.  I wonder if Scrotumrola has a patent license to create a video player in the first place.  Or did they use someone else's?   Did Scrotumrola hole the patent on email?  Etc.

post #27 of 90

It's time Apple gets a taste of their own medicine. How dare they try to block Samsung products and stop competition so they can stop innovating and start shoving the same old crap down our throat. The iPhone hasn't innovated anything since the iPhone 1.

post #28 of 90

And the billions in revenues supports your claim to a tee

post #29 of 90

Can anyone remember any time between the Microsoft vs. Apple patent dispute and the iPhone in 2007 where there have been so many suits hurled at Apple?  I find it interesting that no one paid Apple much attention until they became the top dog in the tech industry.  Now everyone wants a piece of the Apple pie.  This whole thing is getting out of hand on both sides.  I guess there was a bit of foreshadowing on the part of Steve Jobs when he first introduced the iPhone and said that they patented the hell out of it.

post #30 of 90

Serves Apple right for not buying up these guys for peanuts when they had the chance. "Let Google have 'em". (yeah, brilliant strategizing, Apple)

post #31 of 90

'Splain to me why Apple [and its consortium patners, i.e Microsoft, RIM, Sony et.al] was so giddy on outbidding Google when Nortel auctioned its patent portfolio again? Do you blame Google to go full blown and destroy everybody else's chance with their brilliant 12.5 Billion Dollars takeover of Motorola Mobility? Google can do whatever it wants to do with the acquisition. It can play defensive to protect itself from patent trolls, including Apple. FYI, your saintly crApple is included as a patent troll here. If you read news how the consortium they formed created a shell patent troll company "Rockstar Consortium" that functions to find patent infringers and sue them. You can read it here. Nortel patents weren't bought solely for defensive strategy, It's for big offensive posturing against competitions. You have to stop being naive for one pico second. 

Not only is the acquisition good for their defensive strategy, Google can go offensive as well. It is only natural if Google try to find ways to monetize it. The sum 12.5 billion might not mean much compare to Apple's 90+ billion cash in hand [albeit most of it hiding overseas with at least tens of billions owed as tax to the Fed], but that represent a hefty amunt of money for Google. You gotta find a way to make money somehow, especially after coughing up that much money. So, you accused of Google as a patent troll. Well, guess what, Apple is an Apple troll as well. Listen, big companies with big money on hand are ALL evils, Apple, Google, Microsoft, IBM, Oracle, ExxonMobil, and so on because that's the nature of the beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

If you're going to troll, at least do it effectively. 

Moto's products are lousy and so is their service. Derivative, undifferentiated junk (unless "fugly" counts as differentiation.) There's a *reason* they needed a buyout. They were tanking. But I'm sure that's what Sanjay Jha told the board: "B-b-but we invented the cellphone like 30 years ago! Impossible" Uh-huh.

Those who fail to re-invent their business end up as buyout-bait with nothing left but an old trove of patents, most of which they try to wield around (as in: abuse) for FRAND licensing dollars. Like an old hooker way past her sell-by date.

Google didn't buy them for the 27 flavours of crap they churn out, or cable boxes (LOL) or toasters. Or whatever else that is no longer relevant. Google bought them for one reason only: PATENTS. $12.5 billion to purchase patents to be wielded against competitors at a later date (not very successfully), while letting Moto go to complete shit. Because 1) Google doesn't really have any meaningful patents of their own, and they *knew* at some point they'd have to answer for their theft, and 2) because they're a bottom-feeding ad company that isn't above remedying 1 by behaving like 2.

post #32 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

'Splain to me why Apple [and its consortium patners, i.e Microsoft, RIM, Sony et.al] was so giddy on outbidding Google when Nortel auctioned its patent portfolio again? Do you blame Google to go full blown and destroy everybody else's chance with their brilliant 12.5 Billion Dollars takeover of Motorola Mobility? Google can do whatever it wants to do with the acquisition. It can play defensive to protect itself from patent trolls, including Apple. FYI, your saintly crApple is included as a patent troll here. If you read news how the consortium they formed created a shell patent troll company "Rockstar Consortium" that functions to find patent infringers and sue them. You can read it here. Nortel patents weren't bought solely for defensive strategy, It's for big offensive posturing against competitions. You have to stop being naive for one pico second. 

Not only is the acquisition good for their defensive strategy, Google can go offensive as well. It is only natural if Google try to find ways to monetize it. The sum 12.5 billion might not mean much compare to Apple's 90+ billion cash in hand [albeit most of it hiding overseas with at least tens of billions owed as tax to the Fed], but that represent a hefty amunt of money for Google. You gotta find a way to make money somehow, especially after coughing up that much money. So, you accused of Google as a patent troll. Well, guess what, Apple is an Apple troll as well. Listen, big companies with big money on hand are ALL evils, Apple, Google, Microsoft, IBM, Oracle, ExxonMobil, and so on because that's the nature of the beast.

Another baby I see. Only kids use memes like "crApple" (and even take the time to capitalize the A).

Google didn't buy Motorola to defend itself against Apple, MS and others. They bought Motorola to protect Android from Motorola itself. Last year Motorola stated (twice) that they were going to sue other Android OEM's using their patent portfolio. It would have been disastrous to have Android vendors suing each other. So Google bought Motorola instead. Shortly after the acquisition was finalized they fired the previous CEO (who was the one planning on suing Android OEM's).

Google is trying to spin it to make people think it was to protect Android from big, bad Apple but that's an outright lie. And I see many people still believe it.

post #33 of 90
Quote:

Scrotumrola wasn't complaining about these infringements until Google bought them out.  Otherwise, they never complained that I know of.

Seriously, It's Google that's the little brat.

If someone infringes on something say something about it as soon as possible, but Apple and Moto didn't have any problems with this until AFTER Google took over.

It wouldn't surprise me if Apple got a little more serious and have those little readers and players so Android couldn't have Podcasting and iBooks apps on the Android platform.  They might be able to squash that.  Hmmmmm.....

post #34 of 90
Quote:

There are two Motos.

post #35 of 90
Quote:

Motorola makes about 27 phones a year

Yes, but unfortunately they only sell about twenty-four phones a year as well, and I'm not talking about models...

;-)
Edited by GTR - 8/17/12 at 11:18pm
The iPad is just a consumption device. Which consumes it’s competitors.
The iPad is just a consumption device. Which consumes it’s competitors.
post #36 of 90

After reading all the comments, I am thoroughly convinced that you Apple fanboys are delusional. Anyone who loves Apple cannot seriously call Google or anyone else a patent troll. Selective memory is a common trait of you guys. I love Google but not to the point of denying truth and fact. Apple has innovated a lot of technology, but they have not created anything. Apple has set a very high standard with their products, some of which I love. In fact I am typing this on my Macbook. More sales does not equal better. The truth about Apple is they are victims of their own success. There hasn't been any truly groundbreaking Apple innovation in some time. Yet iSheep continue to buy the same thing year in and year out. I laughed when the 4S was released. Not because I was jealous or I was hating on Apple. I laughed because I knew millions of people owning the 4 would buy the 4S happily while realizing it's the same phone. I stepped over the fence just to see if there was a least one of you that got it. I hoped that one of you iSheep would say "Apple asked for it." Maybe there is no hope for you. You can continue to lie to yourselves now.

post #37 of 90
We got a live one! It's even got zz's in the name!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #38 of 90
Just ban Motorola.
post #39 of 90
Quote:

So does this mean a certain person on here has to rescind their statements, or just not make any further statements about Goolge not 'starting' any lawsuits. After all the buyout was apparently completely finalized.

Yes I do understand that particular person always used the word "yet" within the posts.

Also, I'm late to the party and didn't see a post from that person yet. Hmmm....
post #40 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

If that ain't EVIL you is on 💊 💉

Hehehe, the new secret language of Apple users.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Motorola files new ITC suit against Apple, claims patent infringement [u]