or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Jury likely to decide Apple and Samsung case as parties fail to narrow dispute

Jury likely to decide Apple and Samsung case as parties fail to narrow dispute

post #1 of 156
Apple and Samsung on Saturday said no progress was made in narrowing claims against each other in the two companies' ongoing high-stakes California patent trial, making the possibility of a jury verdict all the more likely.

In a joint filing on Saturday, Apple and Samsung said "the parties have met and conferred about case narrowing, but have not been able to narrow their cases further." This means the case will go to jury deliberation barring any further development between the two tech heavyweights, reports Bloomberg.

Despite being "pathologically optimistic" that a settlement could be reached, presiding Judge Lucy Koh this week said she hoped the parties would at least narrow their claims if such an agreement didn't materialize. A winnowing of claims would make it easier for jurors to come to a decision.

In a subsequent Saturday filing, Judge Koh said the Court will be entering tentative jury instructions in installments as they are prepared, thus allowing the parties as much advance notice as possible. To that end, Apple and Samsung began maneuvering for favorable positioning as they filed some of the first "redlined" versions of the proposed documents.

Judge Koh and her staff will be responsible for filing a complete set of tentative final jury instructions on Sunday, which "will reflect the Court's rulings on all objections made by the parties" regarding the original disputed instructions. The judge ordered Apple and Samsung lead counsel to meet and resolve the litany of disputes earlier this week, saying she was "disappointed" by the situation.

One of the sticking points is a chart the jury will use as a reference to the Samsung products accused of infringing on Apple's patents. Apple argues its one-page chart is less confusing than Samsung's six-page counterpart, which includes allegedly extraneous information like Android version numbers. The Korean company disputes that Apple's chart "accurately represents the accused products."

Apple Chart
Apple's proposed jury instruction chart. | Source: Apple v. Samsung court documents

Samsung Chart
Page one of Samsung's proposed jury instruction chart. | Source: Apple v. Samsung court documents

It was noted in Judge Koh's order that the Court was revising the procedure for objecting to disputed jury instructions. Both parties are still required to file "no more than 16 pages of their 8 high priority objections by 8:00 a.m. on Monday," but are no longer allowed to file any further objections. Instead, Apple and Samsung counsel will need to wait for a Monday hearing, at which time the charts, as well as a number of other disputes, will be argued.

The parties also submitted proposed verdict forms (1, 2), offering a glimpse of what the jury may fill out when deciding the case if deliberations begin on Tuesday.
post #2 of 156
Finally I can send out my invitations for the Apple winning party, anyone wanna come? There will be Appletinis and Apple flavored vodka.

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

post #3 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

Finally I can send out my invitations for the Apple winning party, anyone wanna come? There will be Appletinis and Apple flavored vodka.

And if they lose?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #4 of 156

Perhaps some Sam Adams would be in order if they lose?

post #5 of 156
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
And if they lose?

Appeal party.

We'll buy some bananas.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #6 of 156
Quote:

And if they lose?

Then we will quote House: House: What do you do when you win? Kids: Party! House: What do you do when you lose? Kids: Party harder!

This is after he jumps off of the balcony of the Champagne, hooker and self pity infested hotel room after Cuddy dumps him near the end of season 7. He goes back on Vicodin and dumps his life upside down.

post #7 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Appeal party.

We'll buy some bananas.

Or that

post #8 of 156
Quote:

And if they lose?

Appeal?

post #9 of 156
Personally I would prefer that Apple settle and license virtually every patent claim thus taking the high road. My feeling is that they would profit even more and minimize the critical media press commentaries therefore enhancing their public image and further solidifying their dominate position in mobile technology worldwide. That way they could pay the fees yet maintain their own IP. Perhaps it would add another $50 to the cost but that being subsidized would not make that much difference. When it was time to take another company to court over patents the competitor would have no counter position to argue from since Apple would have already licensed all relevant patents.

I know that sounds a bit idealistic but I don't like seeing all of Apples private research and strategy information being made public.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #10 of 156
Originally Posted by logandigges View Post
Then we will quote House: House: What do you do when you win? Kids: Party! House: What do you do when you lose? Kids: Party harder!
This is after he jumps off of the balcony of the Champagne, hooker and self pity infested hotel room after Cuddy dumps him near the end of season 7. He goes back on Vicodin and dumps his life upside down.

In retrospect, thinking about that scene sounds like me leaving college. lol.gif

Minus the drugs, alcohol, hookers, and hotel room. And partying. lol.gif

post #11 of 156
Quote:

And if they lose?

Well, at least there will be vodka...

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #12 of 156

I don't envy this jury. I have my own thoughts and opinions from having followed Apples innovation for the iPhone closely for years. To have all this crammed in 2 weeks must be mind boggling. I expect the jury to be hung.

post #13 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarcoot View Post

I don't envy this jury. I have my own thoughts and opinions from having followed Apples innovation for the iPhone closely for years. To have all this crammed in 2 weeks must be mind boggling. I expect the jury to be hung.

I don't think they'll be hung but I do agree that this had to be a stressful case. From their PoV I'd think it would switch to petty claims of "look and feel" to overly dry technical details.

post #14 of 156
Quote:

And if they lose?

Pickled cabbage juice.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #15 of 156

Google’s Motorola Files New Patent Case Against Apple

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-08-17/google-s-motorola-files-new-patent-case-against-apple-at-itc

Whatever, Samsung is not the last one.

Good Luck with that

Apple is 'one and only' trouble maker in industry.

World will be a better place if without Apple

post #16 of 156
Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

Forum will be a better place if without liars… 

post #17 of 156
Quote:

So you prefer DOS prompts and crappy cell devices?

post #18 of 156
Quote:

I'm not sure why he hasn't been banned.

post #19 of 156
I'm not sure why he hasn't been banned.

No behavior that breaks the rules.

post #20 of 156
Quote:

Maybe he's simply a delusionist?

post #21 of 156
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post
Maybe he's simply a delusionist?

Well, they say if you repeat a lie enough, that makes it true.

"Samsung is innovative."

"Samsung is innovative."

"Samsung is innovative."

"Samsung is innovative."

"Samsung is innovative."

"Samsung is innovative."

"Samsung is innovative."

"Samsung is innovative."

"Samsung is innovative."

"Samsung is innovative."

"Samsung is innovative."

"Samsung is innovative."

"Samsung is innovative."

"Samsung is innovative."

"Samsung is innovative."

post #22 of 156
Quote:

Ok I'll take the bait.

How would you personally benefit from the absence of Apple?

post #23 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

So you prefer DOS prompts and crappy cell devices?

The command line is superior... on "Windows" PC's (The Windows Vista/7 start menu also counts as a command line.) It's also only way to use Linux PC's. On the Mac it's nicely done up in a way that you never have to use a command line, but the option exists.

Crappy cell devices... Motorola has never produced a non-crappy phone. Stylistically they were prefered by Americans because of the "whoa cool flipphone" factor. Nokia was stubbornly slow to realize this, produced technologically superior devices, but their phones were always ugly or poorly thought out. Nokia's flipphone looked like a Gameboy SP, Nokia's N-Gage had the "side talking taco" problem that turned into a meme. Samsung and LG just made phones that copied Motorola back then, and their phones were poorly engineered and barely worked on US networks. Nokia and Motorola squandered the leads they had in their respective home markets.

Like, call me skeptical, but I wouldn't believe a word that comes from Samsung. The produce nothing but cheap pretty copycat trash. They may make outlandish claims about not copying, but the very fact that Samsung was producing parts for Apple was probably enough for engineers to do what we've seen in the leaks, put the parts together and fill in the missing blanks. Once a real device came out, they had every opportunity to copy it better. Maybe there were meetings held privately "off the record" where someone went "so we put all the apple parts we are producing together, and suspect Apple is making X, Y and maybe a Z"

I have no love for Samsung, and no love for Motorola, and both of these come from having to deal with customers returned/exchanging them. I would never sell their stuff at any price.
post #24 of 156
Originally Posted by Misa View Post
The command line is superior... on "Windows" PC's (The Windows Vista/7 start menu also counts as a command line.) It's also only way to use Linux PC's. On the Mac it's nicely done up in a way that you never have to use a command line, but the option exists.

"Only way", huh.

Your line of thinking was outmoded 28 years ago.

post #25 of 156
Quote:

And if they lose?

That's how the system works.

If I were Apple, I'd gladly take my chances with a jury than Judge Koh.

post #26 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Ok I'll take the bait.

You'll be waiting a long time for an answer for a long time.

Good luck.

post #27 of 156
Quote:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-08-17/google-s-motorola-files-new-patent-case-against-apple-at-itc

Good Luck with that

do you need a hug?

post #28 of 156

If there was no Apple, how could Samsung or anyone else have copied them? World wouldn't be a better place.

Apple had me at scrolling
Apple had me at scrolling
post #29 of 156
post #30 of 156

I love Apple but for the sake of humanity I hope they lose! Apple losing will set an example for every other corporation who tries to bully the small guy. Go Samsung! Free Apple Juice for everyone when Apple loses.

post #31 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post

I love Apple but for the sake of humanity I hope they lose! Apple losing will set an example for every other corporation who tries to bully the small guy. Go Samsung! Free Apple Juice for everyone when Apple loses.

I mostly feel the same way. Been an Apple shareholder since before the iPod, but something drastic needs to happen in order for this lawsuit happy environment to end. Only people benefitting from this are lawyers and patent trolls. I understand the reasons for patents but it surely hinders competition (generally speaking). Competition is good for everyone. Intel and MS got lazy when they were the top dog, i don't want to see Apple do the same.

I own...

1 Android Phone, 2 iPads, 1 Windows Tablet, 1 Mac Desktop, 1 Windows Laptop, 1 Linux Server, 1 Linux HTPC

They all are used regularly and each have their place. Competition is good.

I own...

1 Android Phone, 2 iPads, 1 Windows Tablet, 1 Mac Desktop, 1 Windows Laptop, 1 Linux Server, 1 Linux HTPC

They all are used regularly and each have their place. Competition is good.

post #32 of 156
Quote:

Really?! I guess you also support those little chinese copycats (like Goapple) who make total ripoffs of the iPhone too!

(Is Samsung the small guy? ROFL)

Quote:

Is Judge Koh Kohrean by any chance? He seems very bias against Apple.

FYI 'she' is of Korean descent and born in the US.

iMac 21.5" 2.7 GHz (2011), 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM; iPhone 5c 16GB White; iPod Touch 4G 8GB Black; iPod Touch 2G 8GB
iMac 21.5" 2.7 GHz (2011), 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM; iPhone 5c 16GB White; iPod Touch 4G 8GB Black; iPod Touch 2G 8GB
post #33 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That's how the system works.

If I were Apple, I'd gladly take my chances with a jury than Judge Koh.

You do know that the Judge can overthrow the Jury's decision if she/he doesnt agree with its outcome, no?

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #34 of 156
Quote:

Is Judge Koh Kohrean by any chance? He seems very bias against Apple.

Judge Koh is of Korean heritage but was born in the USA and he is also a she. At least half of the articles on AI that mention her name also include a picture of her.
post #35 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

You do know that the Judge can overthrow the Jury's decision if she/he doesnt agree with its outcome, no?
Then why bother with a jury trial at all?
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #36 of 156
Quote:

If you bothered to get your facts straight, then you would know that the "trouble maker" in this instance is Motorola, who sued Apple first.

They also sued Microsoft, first.

Apple and Microsoft are defending themselves against Motorola's unprovoked attack.

Google only bought Motorola because this "trouble maker" was also threatening to sue Samsung, HTC and other Android handset makers, they forced Google's hand in the scam of the century, twelve and a half billion dollars, laughing all the way to the bank.

The world will be a better place without Motorola, the pager is as dead as they soon will be.

post #37 of 156
Quote:

Good Luck with that

You one and only trouble maker on forum?

post #38 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You one and only trouble maker on forum?

Yes... and also yes.

He is also arguing in a fundamentally wrong way. 

He says APPLE is causing trouble (presumably because they sue everyone).

Yet in the article he links to... even the headline says, that GOOGLE is suing here... 

If we go by the crude and simplistic logic... GOOGLE is the trouble maker here... not Apple. 

I mean...hell... if you wanna make a case against Apple... say that they are douches... you can. But at least do it logically.

post #39 of 156

Samsung is counting on the cheap mentality of the Westerns ( no wonders european police makers and european car manufacturers are afraid of Chinese and South Korean cars ).

And it may win.

It is a crime to download movies from the internet even if you do not make any money out of it.

It is normal for a big international corporation to steal other big corporation and make money, billions.

post #40 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Ok I'll take the bait.

Simple, how an envier ( from my dictionary.app • Envy is best defined as a resentful emotion that "occurs when a person lacks another's(perceived) superior quality, achievement or possession and wishes that the other lacked it." )  feels when his/her wish become reality?

lol.gif: Gets an orgasm.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Jury likely to decide Apple and Samsung case as parties fail to narrow dispute