or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Oh, right, "legitimate" rape. As opposed to...she secretly liked it? Sick fucks.

Oh, right, "legitimate" rape. As opposed to...she secretly liked it? Sick fucks. - Page 2

post #41 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Dammit, you just Poe'd me. 

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Poe's_Law

Quote:
Poe's Law
 is an axiom suggesting that it's difficult, if not impossible, to distinguish between parodies of religious or other 
fundamentalism
 and its genuine proponents, since they both seem equally insane.

You're welcome.
post #42 of 91
Quote:

Why are you bringing up guns?

Because you've made perfectly clear that you want to force people (even if they don't want to) to listen and learn what you want them to listen and learn.

You've stated this very clearly.

I'm merely pointing out the logical and ultimate consequence of this view.

When you scrape away all of the obfuscation and misdirection and semantics, it exposes the tyranny that you advocate. I understand why you don't want to admit it. But you've left yourself no escape when you wish to force people to submit to your wishes and values. Sorry if seeing the ultimate consequences of this approach is uncomfortable, bothersome and unappetizing. It is to me too.

Edited by MJ1970 - 8/20/12 at 12:01pm

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #43 of 91
Quote:

Why are you bringing up guns?  Oh right, you hate the government.  Everything devolves to that argument for you.

Yes, clearly we need armed guards in classrooms painting laser targets on children as they are forced to look at vaginas.  Hyperbole much?  You are utterly outrageous, MJ.  Insufferable, really.

If I'm not mistaken, he meant "gun to their heads" figuratively.  You're the one that went off the friggin deep end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Because you've made perfectly clear that you want to force people (even if they don't want to) to listen and learn what you want them to listen and learn.

You've stated this very clearly.

I'm merely pointing out the logical and ultimate consequence of this view.

When you scrape away all of the obfuscation and misdirection and semantics, it exposes the tyranny that you advocate. I understand why you don't want to admit it. But you've left yourself no escape when you wish to force people to submit to your wishes and values. Sorry if seeing the ultimate consequences of this approach is uncomfortable, bothersome and unappetizing. It is to me too.

There's another part here...the way the left (and one member here in particular) frames issues and engage in a sort of modern day newspeak  They've gotten very good at this:  

• Forced sex education over the religious and moral objections of parents?  That's just Comprehensive Sex Education.
  • Gay marriage?  No, that's marriage equality
  • Bigotry?  Nope.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #44 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

If I'm not mistaken, he meant "gun to their heads" figuratively.

Actually, no. It must get quite literal. How else does one ensure that everyone (remember, everyone means everyone...no exceptions or exemptions) does what BR wants them to do whether they want to or not? How does that happen? Granted there might be many levels of indirection and semantics to mask this...but ultimately it must literally come to this.

Edited by MJ1970 - 8/20/12 at 12:40pm

post #45 of 91
Quote:

Actually, no. It must get quite literal. How else does one ensure that everyone (remember, everyone means everyone...no exceptions or exemptions) does what BR wants them to do whether they want to or not? How does that happen?

I should clarify...I think he took it literally, particularly when he posted: 

Quote:

BR:  Yes, clearly we need armed guards in classrooms painting laser targets on children as they are forced to look at vaginas.  Hyperbole much?  You are utterly outrageous, MJ.  Insufferable, really.

He put forth that interpretation to use it to portray you as "outrageous."  

As for the end result, you're right.  How else can everyone to be forced to bend to BR's will?  And don't bother questioning his decisions.  Only idiots, hate mongers, racists, bigots, the ignorant and galactically stupid would do that.  

post #46 of 91
Quote:

I should clarify...I think he took it literally, particularly when he posted: 

He put forth that interpretation to use it to portray you as "outrageous."  

True. Good point. I must have missed that part.

post #47 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I'd like a list of the doctors he spoke to and have them come before the board to have their licenses revoked.

For what?

Quote:

Or even been asked to by the GOP?  Oh, sorry, they probably agree with his statements.

Like this, this or this?

post #48 of 91
Quote:

Like this, this or this?

Well there goes BR's insinuation that this idiot represents the entire GOP.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #49 of 91

BR - why did you let these clowns derail the thread into abortion and sex education?  

The argument is that this asshat is an elected official running for higher office and he should be held accountable for his draconian views on women.  They always like to say "both sides have their crazies".  Yes.  Sure.  But their side has them elected to office!

"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #50 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

BR - why did you let these clowns derail the thread into abortion and sex education?

Well, the issue is abortion. BR brought up forcing people to have "comprehensive" sex education.

Quote:

The argument is that this asshat is an elected official running for higher office and he should be held accountable for his draconian views on women.

And he certainly is.

Edited by MJ1970 - 8/20/12 at 5:11pm

post #51 of 91

Heheheh

I doubt the GOP's desire for him to drop out is motivated by anything other than the upcoming election.  Mitt has already proven time and again he will say anything to suit the moment.  Ryan, well, didn't he collaborate with Akin on several efforts regarding the restriction of women's rights?  Yep.  Thought that was him.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #52 of 91

Yup, Akin doubled down on the idiocy by saying today that he really meant "forcible rape" rather than "legitimate rape".  You know, that term that he and Ryan came up with in their attempt to restrict certain kinds of abortions covered by Medicaid?  See, Republicans want to have a deep discussion about whether or not the poor girl struggled enough to qualify as "forcible rape" over "well, she sorta liked it rape".  Again, bunch of sick fucks.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2012/08/20/akin_when_i_was_talking_about_legitimate_rape_i_meant_forcible_rape.html

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #53 of 91
Quote:

Heheheh

I doubt the GOP's desire for him to drop out is motivated by anything other than the upcoming election.  Mitt has already proven time and again he will say anything to suit the moment.  Ryan, well, didn't he collaborate with Akin on several efforts regarding the restriction of women's rights?  Yep.  Thought that was him.

I see. If they do what you say they won't do, then it is with insincere motives.

:rolleyes:

I'm sure there's a fair amount of politically, cynically motivated reactions going on here. I wonder if this great insight is limited only to people with an "R" next to their names or if you believe any of the reactions from Democrats are motivated by the upcoming election or that Barack Obama (or just about any other pol) will say just about anything to to suit the moment and serve his re-election goal.

post #54 of 91
Quote:

Well, the issue is abortion. BR brought up forcing people to have "comprehensive" sex education.

And he certainly is.

Paul Ryan isn't for his "forcible rape" fiasco.  He was rewarded with a VP nomination.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #55 of 91

Good response, Mr. President.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19326638

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #56 of 91

Quote: BR-

"Yup, Akin doubled down on the idiocy by saying today that he really meant "forcible rape" rather than "legitimate rape".  You know, that term that he and Ryan came up with in their attempt to restrict certain kinds of abortions covered by Medicaid?  See, Republicans want to have a deep discussion about whether or not the poor girl struggled enough to qualify as "forcible rape" over "well, she sorta liked it rape".  Again, bunch of sick fucks."

*** http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2012/08/20/akin_when_i_was_talking_about_legitimate_rape_i_meant_forcible_rape.html ***

Just when you thought the repubs couldn't sink any lower. Mind blown. These people are insane evil bastards.

"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

post #57 of 91

It's interesting to note how BR and Hands are repeatedly using the plural ("repubs", "sick ****s") when referring to the actions of one person. This is called something.

post #58 of 91

Akin skipped an interview with Piers on CNN... heheheheheh.

And in other news, Camp Romney is now on record, with Ryan in tow, as being pro-abortion in some circumstances.

Wasn't Ryan totally against abortion just like what seems yesterday?

Panic mode.  Again.

They simply cannot get the bad news to stop long enough for them to grab the narrative, which Ryan's early announcement was supposed to achieve.

post #59 of 91
Quote:

Akin skipped an interview with Piers on CNN... heheheheheh.

And in other news, Camp Romney is now on record, with Ryan in tow, as being pro-abortion in some circumstances.

Wasn't Ryan totally against abortion just like what seems yesterday?

Panic mode.  Again.

They simply cannot get the bad news to stop long enough for them to grab the narrative, which Ryan's early announcement was supposed to achieve.

Good to see that this isn't so much about what this dufus said...it's all about the gamesmanship and chess game of the election. What a principled position.

post #60 of 91
Quote:

It's interesting to note how BR and Hands are repeatedly using the plural ("repubs", "sick ****s") when referring to the actions of one person. This is called something.

Paul Ryan was Akin's accomplice in promoting the term "forcible rape" in a bill proposed earlier this year.  There are two of them.  That's what we call more than one.  You use plural forms for that.  Furthermore, while the Republican spin machine distanced themselves from the phrase "legitimate rape", the Republican party is on record supporting the use of the phrase "forcible rape".  

Oh MJ, this is what we call you being...well...

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #61 of 91
Quote:

Paul Ryan was Akin's accomplice in promoting the term "forcible rape" in a bill proposed earlier this year.  There are two of them.  That's what we call more than one.  You use plural forms for that.  Furthermore, while the Republican spin machine distanced themselves from the phrase "legitimate rape", the Republican party is on record supporting the use of the phrase "forcible rape".

You're really reaching.

Quote:

All the evidence is pointing to the conclusion that it's not possible for you to be civil.

post #62 of 91

Interesting editorial.

Probably will be dismissed as a "liberal rag" but just the same:

http://www.nj.com/njvoices/index.ssf/2012/08/if_romney_believes_a_fetus_is.html

Title:   If Romney believes a fetus is a person, how can he justify aborting it?

post #63 of 91

Now I don't get into politics much, especially U.S politics( because I am 14 and live in N.Z) and I don't judge a political party by some "bad apples" but this outright ridiculous that rommney guy beat up gays because he didn't like them(even though "gays and "lesbians" are human).

Now this? Seriously a woman has ways of aborting a child because it was rape? the only instances that the female body rejects an embryo is because it senses real serious defects in the DNA and RNA not because "it was rape" how stupid can you get? he also states that there is "legitimate rape".

Like the title of the thread says "Oh, right legitimate rape. As opposed to...she secretly liked it?"

I don't even like to influence people but if you support the republicans then you're taking the good stuff and I want it.

post #64 of 91

Why can't you guys both get along and not beat each other down all the time.

post #65 of 91

This idea that rape should be categorized into "she kicked and screamed and really wanted it to stop" and "eh, she didn't quite struggle enough so she must have sorta liked it" isn't new and isn't just Akin's.  It's the House Republican (and Blue Dog Democrat) party line.  

Quote:

Unfortunately, Mr. Akin’s remarks are not the first, nor are they likely to be the last, in a long-running effort to downplay the horror of rape as a way to restrict access to abortion.Garance Franke-Ruta of the Atlantic catalogued how anti-abortion politicians, since at least 1988, have used the canard of “legitimate rape” or “assault rape” in efforts to restrict and outlaw abortions. What they’re really saying is that not all rape victims are victims, and so we shouldn’t worry if they have to deal with unwanted pregnancy.

Earlier this year, every House Republican and 16 Democrats voted for a bill that would have rewritten the rape exception in federal abortion funding bans by inserting the phrase “forcible rape,” words eerily similar to Mr. Akin’s notion of “legitimate rape.” Among the 227 co-sponsors was Rep. Paul Ryan, now Mitt Romney’s running mate. The bill never made it to the Senate floor; let’s hope the same will be said for Mr. Akin and his unacceptable views.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-repugnant-code-behind-todd-akins-words/2012/08/20/7e91ed12-eb08-11e1-a80b-9f898562d010_story.html?wprss=rss_homepage&tid=pp_widget

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #66 of 91
Quote:

Good response, Mr. President.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19326638

It is a good response.  But you know these guys.  They circle their wagons and protect their guys no matter how much crazy comes out of their mouths.

post #67 of 91
Quote:

But you know these guys.  They circle their wagons and protect their guys no matter how much crazy comes out of their mouths.

Like this?

It's interesting how distancing themselves, calling for him to step down, dropping funding for him and rejecting what he said equates to "circling the wagons" and "protecting their guys".

Priceless.

post #68 of 91

I think the fact that we have to be concerned about what some idiot politician says about rape is indicative of the larger issue of individuals calling themselves a government having ever-increasing power to tell us what we can and cannot do with our bodies and enforcing their edicts with violence.

I am personally against abortion except in cases of rape, incest, or potential harm to the mother, and believe it is a very personal decision that should be up to the individual. That said, I don't believe my views can or should be imposed on others under threat of violence. And if its wrong for me to do so, it is just as wrong for a group of individuals calling themselves a government to do so.

post #69 of 91

Back to the topic if I may, while I truly have great disdain of most politicians.... I think in this case what Todd Akin was Trying to say.....was if a woman was clearly attacked,beaten and raped from a complete stranger...meaning there was no question about it....then his position would be.... he still probably would not be for abortion...and that would be his position. My take is that he was not referring to a couple who knew each other has had consentual sex..then the woman gets mad and screams rape the next time...It is such a powerful crime and carries a strong, strong sentence...as it should...that it should never be used in a  less than open and shut way, if possible.  I think he should have simply clarified what he was trying to say rather than apologize.

Another way too look at what I am saying is, there is 1st degree cold blooded pre meditated murder...and there is involuntary manslaughter....2 totally different scenarios...but people are still dead.

post #70 of 91

Romney is now asking the guy to drop out.  Guess he's worried that having Akin in will hurt his chances in November.

The GOP platform just passed is anti-abortion, even in cases of rape.  This goes against Romney's position?

Hmmm.

BTW

Rape is rape.  There is no way around it.

post #71 of 91
Quote:

Romney is now asking the guy to drop out.  Guess he's worried that having Akin in will hurt his chances in November.

The GOP platform just passed is anti-abortion, even in cases of rape.  This goes against Romney's position?

Hmmm.

BTW

Rape is rape.  There is no way around it.

Enough already with the cynical interpretations of actions you implied wouldn't happen (i.e., the GOP disowning this guy for his statements) and the tautologies ("rape is rape").

post #72 of 91
Quote:

The argument is that this asshat is an elected official running for higher office and he should be held accountable for his draconian views on women.  They always like to say "both sides have their crazies".  Yes.  Sure.  But their side has them elected to office!

Quote:

Yup, Akin doubled down on the idiocy by saying today that he really meant "forcible rape" rather than "legitimate rape".  You know, that term that he and Ryan came up with in their attempt to restrict certain kinds of abortions covered by Medicaid?  See, Republicans want to have a deep discussion about whether or not the poor girl struggled enough to qualify as "forcible rape" over "well, she sorta liked it rape".  Again, bunch of sick fucks.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2012/08/20/akin_when_i_was_talking_about_legitimate_rape_i_meant_forcible_rape.html

You know, for some reason I just realized that you're taking at least as much issue with the "legitimate rape" part as you are the medical ignorance.   I was listening to/reading coverage of his comments from various sources today, and just realized this was part of the controversy (I really hadn't followed it that closely).   To me, this particular part of the controversy is contrived and bogus.  It's pretty clear he meant "legitimate rape" as in "a woman was actually raped."   I'm not sure why he felt the need to use that term, but I don't see what's so offensive about it.  After all, doesn't the pro-choice movement claim exceptions to abortion bans based upon rape/incest would result in false reporting of said crimes?  

My problem is with his explanation on the "female body has ways of shutting that down" comment.  He claimed today that he "read some articles that turned out to probably be wrong."  Come on.  I'm not even sure that kind  of a comment can be explained at all.  He probably just should have said "I had a moment where I said something completely wrong.  I realize that women's bodies cannot distinguish between pregnancies as a result of rape vs. consensual sex.  I misspoke and I apologize."   That MIGHT have done it.  But right now, he's in total denial.  His own party and Presidential nominee called on him to step down.  It's over, champ.  

The other angle here though is that the Democrats have started trying to tie Akin to Romney/Ryan and the entire GOP.  Their trying to use it to bolster their "war on women" narrative.  Typical.  

post #73 of 91

All I can say is that it seems impossible for the GOP to stop putting it's foot in it's mouth in a major way just before a presidential election. Anyone see the return of the Republican party's on fire and it's raining gasoline thread?

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #74 of 91
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You know, for some reason I just realized that you're taking at least as much issue with the "legitimate rape" part as you are the medical ignorance.   I was listening to/reading coverage of his comments from various sources today, and just realized this was part of the controversy (I really hadn't followed it that closely).   To me, this particular part of the controversy is contrived and bogus.  It's pretty clear he meant "legitimate rape" as in "a woman was actually raped."   I'm not sure why he felt the need to use that term, but I don't see what's so offensive about it.  After all, doesn't the pro-choice movement claim exceptions to abortion bans based upon rape/incest would result in false reporting of said crimes?  

My problem is with his explanation on the "female body has ways of shutting that down" comment.  He claimed today that he "read some articles that turned out to probably be wrong."  Come on.  I'm not even sure that kind  of a comment can be explained at all.  He probably just should have said "I had a moment where I said something completely wrong.  I realize that women's bodies cannot distinguish between pregnancies as a result of rape vs. consensual sex.  I misspoke and I apologize."   That MIGHT have done it.  But right now, he's in total denial.  His own party and Presidential nominee called on him to step down.  It's over, champ.  

The other angle here though is that the Democrats have started trying to tie Akin to Romney/Ryan and the entire GOP.  Their trying to use it to bolster their "war on women" narrative.  Typical.  

In a way he does represent a large part of the GOP ( and running for a Senate seat as a Republican ) as he was talking about his anti abortion stance shared by many Republicans and Tea party types. And please if this had happened to a Democrat just try to tell me the Republicans wouldn't take the same angle. Of course though most Democrats are pro choice.

post #75 of 91

Incorrect, SDW.  On Mike Huckabee's radio show, Akin said that he meant "forcible rape" when he said "legitimate rape".  Your spin is bogus.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #76 of 91
Quote:

Incorrect, SDW.  On Mike Huckabee's radio show, Akin said that he meant "forcible rape" when he said "legitimate rape".  Your spin is bogus

Ignore me I thought you were supporting the politician.........until I read the thread again.

post #77 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post
In a way he does represent a large part of the GOP ( and running for a Senate seat as a Republican ) as he was talking about his anti abortion stance shared by many Republicans and Tea party types. And please if this had happened to a Democrat just try to tell me the Republicans wouldn't take the same angle. Of course though most Democrats are pro choice.

If by "in a way" you mean, I've given up all logic and reasoning for drugs and drink. Then perhaps you have a point. To anyone else, applying the exception as the rule is ridiculous. The compound the irony, you are applying the exception as the rule while decrying a man who refuses to realize the exception need not be the rule.

You lefties are ridiculous to the extreme.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #78 of 91
Quote:

Like this?

It's interesting how distancing themselves, calling for him to step down, dropping funding for him and rejecting what he said equates to "circling the wagons" and "protecting their guys".

Priceless.

I was referring to you guys.  ;)

post #79 of 91
Quote:

I was referring to you guys.  ;)

It's interesting how you've interpreted any of my statements as even close to "circling the wagons" and "protecting" this (not my) guy.

I assume it's a reading comprehension problem.

post #80 of 91

Aren't all the posters decrying this guy the same people who declared women should have no control over their bodies with regard to the HPV vaccine?

Women only have rights per them until it harms the herd. Then they are cattle to be rounded up and done with as their overlords decree.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Oh, right, "legitimate" rape. As opposed to...she secretly liked it? Sick fucks.