or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple tops Microsoft to become most valuable company ever

Apple tops Microsoft to become most valuable company ever

post #1 of 76
Apple's continued strong market performance has made it the most valuable stock by market capitalization ever, besting a record set by Microsoft in 1999.

The company's market capitalization reached $621 billion in trading on Monday, besting the previous record held by rival Microsoft, as noted by the Associated Press. However, Apple's new achievement does not account for inflation. In today's dollars, Microsoft's 1999 record would have given it a market capitalization of $850 billion.

Last Friday, AAPL stock closed at a record price of $648, driven to new heights by rumors of a new iPhone, a smaller iPad, and an Apple television set.

Apple's tremendous success has helped to put it in a strong cash position which led the company to distribute its first dividend payment since the late 1990s to shareholder last week.

Apple's soaring market cap has made it worth more than 50 percent more than Exxon Mobil Corp, the second-largest company by market capitalization. Apple first passed Exon in August of 2011, with a then-value of $347 billion.

Market Cap

Earlier this year, Apple became worth more than Microsoft and Google combined when its market cap reached $456 billion. The iPhone maker saw its market capitalization pass Microsoft alone in May of 2010 when it reached $222 billion.
post #2 of 76

But… that one Chinese company…

Anyway, when it falls back to $580 after the fall keynote, Apple will be doomed™ all over again, so it's all cool. lol.gif

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #3 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
... Apple will be doomed™ all over again, so it's all cool. lol.gif

lol.gif

post #4 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's new achievement does not account for inflation. In today's dollars, Microsoft's 1999 record would have given it a market capitalization of $850 billion.

That makes zero sense. Value is value. Inflation is in both the  numerator (cash flows) and denominator (cost of capital) in all valuation.

post #5 of 76
Inflation sucks, but a notable paper milestone nonetheless!
Steve Ballmer is going to need more chairs to throw.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #6 of 76
Quote:

Anyway, when it falls back to $580 after the fall keynote, Apple will be doomed™ all over again, so it's all cool. lol.gif

YES! There was a Chinese company in 1998(?) that hit 1 trillion dollars in their market cap, they quickly dropped down to zero and went bankrupted.

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

post #7 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That makes zero sense. Value is value. Inflation is in both the  numerator (cash flows) and denominator (cost of capital) in all valuation.

Say what? Can you show me where "cash flows" and "cost of capital" factor into a market cap calculation? Funny. I thought it was "shares outstanding x price per share." Of course inflation makes a difference.

If we experienced 100% inflation next year (and let's assume for the sake of argument that the economy didn't completely collapse and it didn't affect corporate health) are you telling me that apple's market cap wouldn't just be twice as big since the value of a dollar is now halved?

post #8 of 76

I don't think AAPL is going south of $600 again for a long time, if ever… although the last "Adjustment" from $640 to $530 surprised me, I think it was a 'manipulated' fluke frankly… created by the "analysts" who made SO much of the "Big Miss" by the last quarterly report (never mind the repeat of record profits all over again)… This quick "Correction" past the mid $600's didn't surprise me at all, however… 

$700 before Aug 31st…? VERY likely.

And after the announcements in September? If it goes like people think, and we get a new iPhone, iPad "mini" and apple-TV (followed soon after by new iMacs and a 13" retina MacBook Pro?), it'll punch to $750...

$1,000 after the holiday quarter ends… assuming the analysts don't drag it down too much by COMPLETELY overblowing the estimates…….

And if an Apple TV Monitor comes into the mix? I don't know what the ceiling will be……………….

post #9 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Inflation sucks, but a notable paper milestone nonetheless!
Steve Ballmer is going to need more chairs to throw.

Let's start a Chip-In to get him a lifetime membership at Herman Miller.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #10 of 76
I think Apple's distinctive achievement is that they became the most valuable company by delivering the best, while Microsoft achieved theirs by catering to the lowest common denominator, and essentially trying to be all things to everyone.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
post #11 of 76
Quote:

That's ridiculous.

Value is what the market considers a company to be worth. If the value of the dollar drops (for example, with inflation), it takes more dollars to equal the worth of the company.

You are referring to ESTIMATES of valuation, but even there, you're wrong.

Let's look at the common proxies company value:
- Earnings per share. This is the dollars earned divided by the number of outstanding shares. Since the number of outstanding shares is independent of inflation, inflation increases only the numerator and therefore increases the estimated value

- Asset value. Asset value goes up with inflation.

- Net asset value (assets minus liabilities). Both figures go up with inflation, but if the inflation for both assets and liabilities is the same and if the company had a positive net worth to start, then the difference will also increase with inflation.

By almost any measure, an inflation adjustment is necessary to compare a present-day value to a historic value.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #12 of 76

Congratulations Apple!

post #13 of 76
Quote:

I don't believe it will drop back to $580, unless the world becomes overly worried about the problems in the EU at the same time.
post #14 of 76
Quote:

Numbers are numbers. You can't make a valid comparison between numbers that have a lot of inflation between them, if comparing them in current dollars vs old dollars.
post #15 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Let's start a Chip-In to get him a lifetime membership at Herman Miller.

Best post so far!
post #16 of 76

in 1999, who would have ever guessed? 

post #17 of 76

sigh...  as you track Asymco, it's becomes apparent the stock price directly tracks earnings with a little inertial sludge factor, so as P/E trends slightly downward.  So as Earning go up, stock price goes up.   The 'panic' that everyone basically had last month was all about 'expectations' which pushed Apple down under 14 in the P/E scale, and it should be around the 16 scale TTM.  It's now at 15.5, so figure going up to 675 until Sept 12th, then a sell on the news..., then trend up again until Oct 25ish (next Quarterly Earnings report).   If earnings go up as planned, then should go over 700, and in january, if they have the current analysts estimate... over 740.

post #18 of 76
Originally Posted by MACT View Post
in 1999, who would have ever guessed? 

In 2003, who would have ever guessed!

post #19 of 76

Obviously, as many here points out, any valid comparison of the market cap has to be made in inflation adjusted currency. However, it should be noted that while MS P/E at the top was around 35, Apples P/E is currently around 15, which indicates a sounder economy with better earnings.

post #20 of 76
Quote:

If Apple delivers on the rumor of an iphone 5 that start selling in september and an ipad mini I dont think there will be a sell off "on the news"  But if there is no ipad mini there will be a sell off. On the TV side, if we get something more than the usual Apple TV upgrade its more in favor of the upside. Hoping to finally get AppleTV apps this time. 

The small wildcard will be the imac upgrades.  When do you guys think it will happen?

Edited by herbapou - 8/20/12 at 11:42am
post #21 of 76

The problem with AAPL as an investment is that there is never a good time to get out.  I've been gradually accumulating shares since Jobs came back and it's been hugely profitable.  But now I want to finish my basement or buy a car, and I'm loath to sell any of my AAPL shares because they are my best investment by far.  The few times I have sold some shares to lock in my gains, I've just found myself buying more shares at a higher price a few months later.

Oh, the hardship of being a long-term AAPL investor :-)

post #22 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Numbers are numbers. You can't make a valid comparison between numbers that have a lot of inflation between them, if comparing them in current dollars vs old dollars.

Personally, I think less about inflation and the general mood of the markets  In 2000, MSFT was riding 10 years of great news, a president and a congress that balanced the budget, a president that kept us out of wars and therefore a peacetime economy, and the naive invention of 'outsourcing' (which arguably increased [U.S.] worker productivity numbers) and the unlimited 'invention' of the Internet.   Then came:

The DotComBomb

Sept 11

Afghanistan War

WMDs and the Iraq War

Peak Oil (oil becomes a strategic [we fight for it] asset)

Bush Tax cuts as a stimulus (sort of)

The globalization of the consumer market (China sneezes, US catches pneumonia)

The Real Estate Bubble Bursting

the Credit Default Swaps debacle

Bank Bailouts as a stimulus (not)

Automotive Bailouts as a stimulus (sort of)

The Global economic Crisis (Greece)

Iran/Israel sabre rattling

Arab Spring and Libya, Egypt, and Syria destabalizing Middle East (see peak oil, and Israel/Iran above).

China moving from 2nd world to 1st World power

China running a inflationary economy

The Internet as a means to instigate a Cyber cold war

So in 2012, the fact that any large consumer product company is growing in consumer perception of value, is amazing.

Eliminate any 4 of the above, and Apple would be worth a heckuva lot more than $800 Billion current money.

post #23 of 76

I found this interesting article on where it is going in price. 

http://beta.fool.com/jaans/2012/08/18/understanding-apple-flash-new-high-where-it-going/9958/

post #24 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPT View Post

Obviously, as many here points out, any valid comparison of the market cap has to be made in inflation adjusted currency. However, it should be noted that while MS P/E at the top was around 35, Apples P/E is currently around 15, which indicates a sounder economy with better earnings.

The P/E is indeed a very important stat to take into account.  Apple market cap may be high, but its valuation is still outstanding. Its the first time we have a company with both a huge market cap and good valuation.  In fact, if apple would be a small company, its growth potential would probably make it have a multiple of 20+  This is where the law of large numbers takes effect, it keeps Apple stock price in check with earnings.

Given the january 2012 monster earnings, its possible investors are going to drive the stock up and expand the PE prior to january 2013 earnings.  But make no mistake, Apple will need to deliver in january because the stock will come back down to a more normal PE or 14 or 15 regardless of what the estimates were.

But if Apple delivers good earnings in january, the TTM EPS will rise and Apple may hold its stock price while compressing its PE back to 14. That would be very good news. If everything is goes well Apple may rise to 800$ and hold it through jan 2013 earnings. Apple need a TTM EPS of 55$ in january to hold a stock price of 800$.  To get that TTM EPS Apple will need to report a jan 2013 EPS of 16$ or more. Watch the guidance in october, if apple guide 12$ or more we are golden.

Edited by herbapou - 8/20/12 at 11:36am
post #25 of 76
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post
If Apple devivers on the rumor of a 6th iPhone that start selling in september and an iPad mini I don't think there will be a sell of "on the news"  But if there is no iPad mini there is will be a sell off. On the TV side, if we get something more than the usual Apple TV upgrade its more in favor on the upside. Hoping to finally get AppleTV apps this time. 

The small wildcard will be the imac upgrades.  When do you guys think it will happen?

No computers at the iPhone event. As much as I'd love to see an updated Mac Mini and updated iMac with no optical drive (and, Apple, an entirely new design? Hmm?), this next keynote is about their biggest seller. If Apple wants to sell any iMacs or Mac Minis this holiday season, they'll pop out refreshes (and, Apple, and entirely new design for the iMac? Hmm?) in October or something (with another keynote to, Apple, highlight the entirely new design for th—okay, I think we get it now lol.gif) after the iPhone hype dies down.

I see MAYBE an iPod nano update (actually hardware this time) alongside the iPhone, and if they're doing anything to the touch, now would be the time as well. 

I chuckled at the thought that having no iPad mini would kick the stock down. That's funny.

And yeah, I'd love to see an Apple TV with NAiTL, but that's the only thing that would get me to buy one (I'd buy THREE), even IF they magically managed to complete all their deals in two months and completely revolutionize TV the same way they did music. Seriously, I want to be able to see my own previously-existing content without a computer on and iTunes open. I don't want it to require a computer at all beyond the initial setup of the files in iTunes Library format. In the post-PC world, you'd think Apple would be leading the charge on connecting a hard drive to an AirPort to view content over the network on an Apple TV… Allow any (allowed) computer on the network to manage the NAiTL just as it does the local iTunes Library, copy files, edit metadata and such, but don't force me to have iTunes open and a computer on to PLAY the stuff.

post #26 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

But now I want to finish my basement or buy a car, and I'm loath to sell any of my AAPL shares because they are my best investment by far. 

I know what you mean. I got out about 5 years ago to build a house. I have zero AAPL shares at this point. I still earned a huge profit from 2000. Oh well I enjoy my house everyday.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #27 of 76
Quote:

The problem with AAPL as an investment is that there is never a good time to get out.  I've been gradually accumulating shares since Jobs came back and it's been hugely profitable.  But now I want to finish my basement or buy a car, and I'm loath to sell any of my AAPL shares because they are my best investment by far.  The few times I have sold some shares to lock in my gains, I've just found myself buying more shares at a higher price a few months later.

Yes... this is a dilemma, as I think small caps are having the air sucked out of them by the behemoths,and globalization.   Apple is trending high on my portfolio, but actually UnderArmor is higher/faster growth, and was ahead, literally until today.   I need to redistribute as Apple is now 15% of my portfolio, and UnderArmor 8% (my suck*ss 401K mutual funds are lagging, and I need to quit my job to roll them over, which I hear isn't a good investment strategy [quit good job to micromanage your retirement accounts])

post #28 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Best post so far!

;D

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #29 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPT View Post

I wouldn't use "sounder economy"  but "conservative investment climate."  The economy is not sound... Apple's financials are (no debt, good margins, earning more money than it can spend wisely, hence a dividend).

The fact that the Dividend is being offered will drive up demand, as AAPL now qualifies for Large Cap Income Investment Funds.  And could potentially be in the Dow, although the argument is there is no 1 for 1 candidate replaceable companies that would make sense (Read: AAPL is too highly valued to be a Dow Candidate now... removing a 'dog' and adding Apple would overweight (multiplier of 5-10 over any dogs that are dying) it so much it would 'drive' or 'dive' the Dow too much on any single day. 

post #30 of 76
Quote:

Same here, I can't even sell it, because there's no better alternative to buy 1smile.gif
post #31 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence22 View Post

Use some of them as collateral against a loan.  If the value goes up faster than the interest rate, you come out ahead.

Finish your basement if it will increase the value of your house.   If you buy a car, be sure to calculate the depreciation in your figuring.  Trading $30,000 worth of shares for a car could cost you $15,000 in lost share appreciation AND another $10,000 in car depreciation the first year.  Second year might cost you  $22,000 in lost stock appreciation plus another 5 or 7,000 in car depreciation.

Maybe you could use the dividend to pay for a loan?  Then you keep all your shares and stretch the payments on the basement or the car. 

I'd rather see you putting the money into a solid home project rather than a depreciating car.

Good ole shorting the stock...

edit... while thinking about it... not exactly, because your loss can only be the value of the loan...(if the shares as collateral are locked) whereas in true shorting (if the share prices increases) you owe amount of the shares shorted plus the delta value between the shorted value and the now value...

so much for my trite comments :(

Edited by haar - 8/20/12 at 12:03pm
post #32 of 76

Interesting.

post #33 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:

But now I want to finish my basement or buy a car, and I'm loath to sell any of my AAPL shares because they are my best investment by far. 

I know what you mean. I got out about 5 years ago to build a house. I have zero AAPL shares at this point. I still earned a huge profit from 2000. Oh well I enjoy my house everyday.

Wow!

Who would have known...  I bought my first 100 shares of AAPL in 2003 at $17.  After increasing my AAPL holdings, I switched to a margin account and have been averaging up ever since.   I bought some more today.

Though, AAPL will eventually dip (maybe this November) and the housing market will eventually revive...  nothing is sure but death and taxes!

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #34 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence22 View Post

Use some of them as collateral against a loan.  If the value goes up faster than the interest rate, you come out ahead.

Finish your basement if it will increase the value of your house.   If you buy a car, be sure to calculate the depreciation in your figuring.  Trading $30,000 worth of shares for a car could cost you $15,000 in lost share appreciation AND another $10,000 in car depreciation the first year.  Second year might cost you  $22,000 in lost stock appreciation plus another 5 or 7,000 in car depreciation.

Maybe you could use the dividend to pay for a loan?  Then you keep all your shares and stretch the payments on the basement or the car. 

I'd rather see you putting the money into a solid home project rather than a depreciating car.

Some of you guys are so silly. Cars are not investments. You really don't need to calculate them this way. They are sunken costs. Whether you're buying a new phone or car, they are expected to depreciate over time. Even if it's a rental car business, these things are marked down over time. The comparison makes no sense as you already know the outcome. In terms of stock, you can lock in gains when you decide to do so. Cashing out doesn't guarantee that you will lose out in the long term. This is just a determination of whether or not to spend money. Even with the basement, the increase in value is most likely incidental there. He would be finishing it out of desire for a finished basement. It gives me a headache whenever people add so much unnecessary abstraction to things which should already be entirely obvious.

post #35 of 76
Quote:

No computers at the iPhone event. As much as I'd love to see an updated Mac Mini and updated iMac with no optical drive (and, Apple, an entirely new design? Hmm?), this next keynote is about their biggest seller. If Apple wants to sell any iMacs or Mac Minis this holiday season, they'll pop out refreshes (and, Apple, and entirely new design for the iMac? Hmm?) in October or something (with another keynote to, Apple, highlight the entirely new design for th—okay, I think we get it now lol.gif) after the iPhone hype dies down.

I see MAYBE an iPod nano update (actually hardware this time) alongside the iPhone, and if they're doing anything to the touch, now would be the time as well. 

I chuckled at the thought that having no iPad mini would kick the stock down. That's funny.

And yeah, I'd love to see an Apple TV with NAiTL, but that's the only thing that would get me to buy one (I'd buy THREE), even IF they magically managed to complete all their deals in two months and completely revolutionize TV the same way they did music. Seriously, I want to be able to see my own previously-existing content without a computer on and iTunes open. I don't want it to require a computer at all beyond the initial setup of the files in iTunes Library format. In the post-PC world, you'd think Apple would be leading the charge on connecting a hard drive to an AirPort to view content over the network on an Apple TV… Allow any (allowed) computer on the network to manage the NAiTL just as it does the local iTunes Library, copy files, edit metadata and such, but don't force me to have iTunes open and a computer on to PLAY the stuff.

I think that if Apple ever support an itunes file structure outside itunes its going to be in there netdrive which is TimeCapsuled.  They may come out with itune support in an external USB drive in Airport, but imo thats unlikely.  I am overdue to upgrade my old D-link net drive and I am waiting on the next Time capsuled  upgrade to do it. Have you ever tried "identify" to populate you're metadata? Its on the app store and its pretty good.

I was hoping on a imac refresh with no key notes prior to the iphone event, they need to do a refresh soon imo. The last one was more than a year ago right? 

Edited by herbapou - 8/20/12 at 12:16pm
post #36 of 76

I was hoping on a imac refresh with no key notes prior to the iphone event, they need to do a refresh soon imo. The last one was more than a year ago right? 

Yeah, it has been a good long while. I figure, hey, you're dropping the stupid ODD once and for all, maybe take a gander at ways that you could further improve the design as a whole instead of just making the stupid thing thinner. Who knows, they might come up with something that lets us have a desktop GPU for a change… Been since the G3 iMac that we haven't had one.

post #37 of 76

Since this article is about Apple and Microsoft, this might be appropriate:

That's a 10.6" Surface tablet mapped bit for bit to a 9.7" iPad 3 Retina Display... in portrait mode!

Quote:

Just for fun, I mapped the pixel dimensions of a MS Surface onto the screen of an a new iPad.

For the nerds out there: That’s the surfaces 1366x768 display sizebordered in red, inside the iPad’s 2048x1536 display. And I’ve scaled the whole thing down so it more or less fits in a web browser.

http://yourhead.tumblr.com/post/25446320581/its-just-a-small-table

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #38 of 76
Quote:

Quote:

I think that if Apple ever support an itunes file structure outside itunes its going to be in there netdrive which is TimeCapsuled.  They may come out with itune support in an external USB drive in Airport, but imo thats unlikely.  I am overdue to upgrade my old D-link net drive and I am waiting on the next Time capsuled  upgrade to do it. Have you ever tried "identify" to populate you're metadata? Its on the app store and its pretty good.

I, too am waiting for an iMac refresh (my BDay is the 29th) and we Virgos are anal about having the latest tech toys...

Actually, tomorrow or the 28th would be a good day for a soft rollout of a new iMac and a new FCP X.

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #39 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Wow!

Who would have known...  I bought my first 100 shares of AAPL in 2003 at $17.  After increasing my AAPL holdings, I switched to a margin account and have been averaging up ever since.   I bought some more today.

Though, AAPL will eventually dip (maybe this November) and the housing market will eventually revive...  nothing is sure but death and taxes!

We'll see a dip after the run-up to the announcement. Usually for a month or two. Unless, of course, we get both the tablet and the phone, and both are blockbusters. Then all bets are off.
post #40 of 76
Quote:

Seriously, I want to be able to see my own previously-existing content without a computer on and iTunes open. I don't want it to require a computer at all beyond the initial setup of the files in iTunes Library format.

Um... I can do that with any dlna hard drive and compatible tv set today... What is the big deal? It is just Apple that doesn't support the very obvious feature in a pc-free environment.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple tops Microsoft to become most valuable company ever