or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung Galaxy Nexus copied iPhone features to steal market share, Apple says
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung Galaxy Nexus copied iPhone features to steal market share, Apple says

post #1 of 84
Thread Starter 
During opening arguments of an appeals court hearing on Monday, Apple counsel said Samsung sought to steal iPhone market share with its Galaxy Nexus smartphone by copying a number of the Apple handset's features including a patented unified search invention.

As the California Apple v. Samsung patent trial moves to closing arguments, a U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit case regarding the sales ban of the Korean company's Galaxy Nexus smartphone began proceedings on Monday.

According to in-court reports from Bloomberg, Apple lawyer Mark Perry argued the Samsung handset was part of a "beat-Apple" strategy which consisted of copying a number of features like the iPhone's Siri virtual assistant.

?This was the beat-Apple strategy,? Perry said. ?This was the top of the line, Cadillac phone they trotted out to compete with the iPhone.?

Samsung is seeking to appeal an injunction against the device that would see a sales stoppage until the matter is resolved at a trial currently set to begin in March 2014. By that time, the handset would likely be obsolete, rendering further attempts to reinstate sales a losing proposition.

At issue is whether Apple needs to prove that it lost market share to the Galaxy Nexus in order to initiate a sales stoppage before the patent case moves forward in 2014. Also a point of contention is whether Apple must prove the allegedly infringed upon patent was a driving force of sales for either device.

Samsung counsel John Quinn argues that keeping the Galaxy Nexus on store shelves would do no harm to Apple's market share, saying the device has racked up "minuscule" sales compared to the U.S. market-leading iPhone.

In Apple's third fiscal quarter conference call, the company reported $16.2 billion of recognized revenue from iPhone sales. Quinn said Samsung only managed to net $250 million in Galaxy Nexus sales during the device's first two quarters of availability.

?This is a product that, at most, captured 0.5 percent of the market,? Quinn said. ?Nothing in the record here would support a finding of irreparable harm? to Apple.

Siri
Apple's Siri virtual assistant leverage the '604 unified search patent to provide users with comprehensive answers. | Source: Apple


Apple is asserting a unified search patent which serves as the backbone for Siri functionality on the iPhone 4S. The '604 patent retrieves information from a variety of sources, including the internet and on-device data like emails, with a single search engine, allowing users to get in-depth answers to queries.

According to Quinn, many consumers bought the Galaxy Nexus because it ran Google's Android operating system, claiming the users didn?t even know about the unified search feature.

In an Aug. 3 filing with the CAFC, Google said Apple's patent relates ?at best, to a very minor aspect of the Galaxy Nexus phone?s overall functionality which was never shown to drive sales.? The company went on to argue that if a single patent can block sales of a feature-rich modern smartphone, ?the design and manufacture of similarly complex technological marvels would become economically infeasible.?

Apple won a temporary injunction against the handset in June, claiming infringement of the unified search patent, but Samsung was granted a stay by the CAFC in July along with a request to expedite an appeal.

Samsung's Galaxy Nexus will remain on sale throughout the appeals process, though that timeline remains ambiguous as the three-judge panel has yet to say when it will rule.
post #2 of 84

Samsung is doomed!!!!

post #3 of 84

Scamscum's argument is that no a consumer will not pay extra for an iPhone because of xyz patent.  That may be true, but the sum of all the patents on the iPhone / iPad and how it all contributes to the polished look-and-feel of iOS is what the consumer likes.  Samesung is trying to blow smoke by micromanaging it.

post #4 of 84

Apple is doomed! 

 

😕

Oh wait...😕 😕

 

 ✂ ♚ ☹

♔ ☺

Black being Samsung

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply
post #5 of 84
I really, really hope Tim has alternative suppliers lined up for 100% of what Scamscum currently provide Apple with.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #6 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I really, really hope Tim has alternative suppliers lined up for 100% of what Scamscum currently provide Apple with.


Absolutely, I think that would hurt Samsung worse than these legal battles (although I still am in favor of protecting IP in this manner).  I would love to see Apple shift all its business to suppliers who are not directly competing with them.

post #7 of 84
Samsung's next copycat move is to sue the pants off Samsung, for copying itself.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #8 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCentric View Post


Absolutely, I think that would hurt Samsung worse than these legal battles (although I still am in favor of protecting IP in this manner).  I would love to see Apple shift all its business to suppliers who are not directly competing with them.

And who would you propose? LG, who also makes Android phones, and seems to slavishly copy Samsung, who slavishly copies Apple? How about Intel, who is coming out with a processor for Android phones. Show me a company that has the ability to scale and proven track record like Samsung. There aren't many out there.

post #9 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

And who would you propose? LG, who also makes Android phones, and seems to slavishly copy Samsung, who slavishly copies Apple? How about Intel, who is coming out with a processor for Android phones. Show me a company that has the ability to scale and proven track record like Samsung. There aren't many out there.


Apple has $100 billion in the bank. A little investment in 3rd party suppliers not named Samsung would be a great way to spend the money.

post #10 of 84
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
Samsung's next copycat move is to sue the pants off Samsung, for copying itself.

 

This becomes taxing on not only Samsung's pocket book, but it's legal counsel's expertise, as they have to prerecord their defense and then practice for hours at a time to line up the timing of their statements to the prosecution's live objections. 

 

Like those fellows that record themselves doing all four parts of a barbershop quartet, you see. lol.gif

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #11 of 84

 

 

 

 

Wow. You guys are really not clever.

 

Do you really believe people buy a Galaxy Nexus because it looks like a iphone?

 

Do you really believe people buy a Galaxy Nexus because of stupid unified search function?

 

People buy a Galaxy Nexus. Because it is a Google/Samsung phone.

 

They didn't hurt Apple. Because people know it is samsung.

 

They don't buy galaxy nexus because of stupid 'unified search function' which apple claims it infringe patent.

 

Samsung already removed unified search function. People still buy it.

 

Nobody buy a phone for univesal search function.

 

I have iphone4 and ipad2. Even I do not use such function. really worthless feature.


Edited by 845032 - 8/20/12 at 5:44pm
post #12 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by 845032 View Post







Wow. iSheeps are really  too stupid.

Do you really believe people buy a Galaxy Nexus because it looks like a iphone?

Do you really believe people buy a Galaxy Nexus because of stupid univesal search function?

People buy a Galaxy Nexus. Because it is a Samsung phone.

There is no one buy this phone for the sole reason because it looks simlar with iphone.

They didn't hurt Apple. Because people know it is samsung.

They don't buy galaxy nexus because of stupid univesal search function which apple claims it infringe patent.

Samsung already removed univesal search function. People still buy it.

Nobody buy a phone for univesal search function.

Re: "Do you really believe people buy a Galaxy Nexus because it looks like a iPhone"

They probably buy them because it is uses a direct ripoff of the Apple iOS just and Windows people have bought PCs all these years which was a direct ripoff of the Mac OS, some people just like cheap alternatives to the best even if they are ripoffs, I guess it's human nature.
Edited by digitalclips - 8/20/12 at 5:53pm
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #13 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

And who would you propose? LG, who also makes Android phones, and seems to slavishly copy Samsung, who slavishly copies Apple? How about Intel, who is coming out with a processor for Android phones. Show me a company that has the ability to scale and proven track record like Samsung. There aren't many out there.

I suspect Apple could help a few get there.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #14 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

 

 

 

 

Wow. You guys are really not clever.

 

Do you really believe people buy a Galaxy Nexus because it looks like a iphone?

 

Do you really believe people buy a Galaxy Nexus because of stupid unified search function?

 

People buy a Galaxy Nexus. Because it is a Google/Samsung phone.

 

They didn't hurt Apple. Because people know it is samsung.

 

They don't buy galaxy nexus because of stupid 'unified search function' which apple claims it infringe patent.

 

Samsung already removed unified search function. People still buy it.

 

Nobody buy a phone for univesal search function.

 

I have iphone4 and ipad2. Even I do not use such function. really worthless feature.

 

I am planning to get the Galaxy Nexus and frankly, it looking like an iPhone or having unified search has not even crossed my mind as the reason for me making the switch to Android. I have an iPhone 4 and I have NEVER used the unified search function. Wasn't it Steve Jobs that said people don't spend their time searching on a phone, but rather spend their time within apps? That's very much how it is for the vast majority of iPhone users.

 

As far as the Nexus looking like an iPhone goes...I am sure Samsung decided to make the phone bigger with no physical home button, included a led indicator along with the curved glass just to make it's phone look like the iPhone...right.

post #15 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post

I am planning to get the Galaxy Nexus and frankly, it looking like an iPhone or having unified search has not even crossed my mind as the reason for me making the switch to Android. I have an iPhone 4 and I have NEVER used the unified search function. Wasn't it Steve Jobs that said people don't spend their time searching on a phone, but rather spend their time within apps? That's very much how it is for the vast majority of iPhone users.

As far as the Nexus looking like an iPhone goes...I am sure Samsung decided to make the phone bigger with no physical home button, included a led indicator along with the curved glass just to make it's phone look like the iPhone...right.

Out of curiosity, if the Android phone were not able to run a direct ripoff of iOS would you still want one? You'd be happy with thumbing those small plastic buttons would you?
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #16 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Re: "Do you really believe people buy a Galaxy Nexus because it looks like a iPhone"
They probably buy them because it is uses a direct ripoff of the Apple iOS just and Windows people have bought PCs all these years which was a direct ripoff of the Mac OS, some people just like cheap alternatives to the best even if they are ripoffs, I guess it's human nature.

English isn't your primary language? Dislexic? Make shit up?

Show me how Android is in any way a direct rip off of iOS.

In any form...stock Android not Samsung's blatant rip off that is touchwhiz.
post #17 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post

I am planning to get the Galaxy Nexus and frankly, it looking like an iPhone or having unified search has not even crossed my mind as the reason for me making the switch to Android. I have an iPhone 4 and I have NEVER used the unified search function. Wasn't it Steve Jobs that said people don't spend their time searching on a phone, but rather spend their time within apps? That's very much how it is for the vast majority of iPhone users.

As far as the Nexus looking like an iPhone goes...I am sure Samsung decided to make the phone bigger with no physical home button, included a led indicator along with the curved glass just to make it's phone look like the iPhone...right.

Hell I don't even use unified search.

I'm pretty sure the plan for unified search on any OS was simply for unified search...on any OS...because it seemed to make sense...

removing it isn't really going to cause some major setback.

But the people who honestly believe a phone that is almost 100% NOT like an iPhone is a rip-off of the iPhone just goes to show how lacking a lot of people are in independent thought.
post #18 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Out of curiosity, if the Android phone were not able to run a direct ripoff of iOS would you still want one? You'd be happy with thumbing those small plastic buttons would you?

Show me how iOS and Android are so close that one is a direct rip-off of another...

I'll wait while you produce some more bullshit.
post #19 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by logandigges View Post
Time to update the block list.

 

By all means, suit yourself.

post #20 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

Time to update the block list.

 

Did no one ever teach you to use your inside voice -- shout much? Your 72 pt size fonts are an abuse of this site -- grow up.

post #21 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

Time to update the block list.

he asked a legitimate question...albeit sarcastically.

If you so easily block out dissenting opinion I can only imagine how much character you don't have.
post #22 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post

 

I am planning to get the Galaxy Nexus and frankly, it looking like an iPhone or having unified search has not even crossed my mind as the reason for me making the switch to Android. I have an iPhone 4 and I have NEVER used the unified search function.

Huh - could that be because your iPhone 4 does not have the feature?  Siri came out with the 4s...

post #23 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

 

 

I have iphone4 and ipad2. Even I do not use such function. really worthless feature.

 

That's nice.  I'm glad that you do not use Siri on your iphone4 or ipad2.  

 

​Siri came out with the iPhone 4S

post #24 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-diver View Post

Huh - could that be because your iPhone 4 does not have the feature?  Siri came out with the 4s...

the universal search feature was present on iOS before Siri wasn't it?
post #25 of 84

The copiers at Samsung are firing on all pistons.

 

 

 


Edited by bobborries - 8/21/12 at 11:10am
post #26 of 84

The universal search feature, aka Spotlight, was added in iOS 3.

 

sd-diver is correct about Siri being iPhone 4S only, but Evoken never said anything about the personal assistant or voice commands, just the universal search.

 

I owned every iPhone that came out except the 4S and I can say that I never used the Spotlight feature on my 3GS when I got it with iOS 3 or on my iPhone 4 with iOS 4. I now own the Galaxy Nexus and I also never use its built in universal search feature for searching the device.

post #27 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

The copiers at Samsung are firing on all pistons.

AppleSam.gif

you just read "Samsung" and go crazy without even considering the content.

The Galaxy Nexus is not at all like the iPhone besides them both being touchscreen smartphones...
post #28 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post


you just read "Samsung" and go crazy without even considering the content.
The Galaxy Nexus is not at all like the iPhone besides them both being touchscreen smartphones...

 



You actually believe that Samsung did not copy Apple. Who is talking Bullshit now

post #29 of 84

I have a Galaxy Nexus.  I bought it because it has a much larger screen and 4G.

 

Since I have an iPad so I know how iOS operates. 

 

The Galaxy Nexus looks nothing like an iPhone.  

 

It operates nothing like an iPhone.

 

I cant see this one going well for Apple....

 

Many people are going to see this one a harassment plain and simple....

post #30 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-diver View Post

Huh - could that be because your iPhone 4 does not have the feature?  Siri came out with the 4s...

 

It doesn't have Siri but the unified search (Spotlight) has been in iOS for some time already, this is to what I was referring to in my post. I never use it and I think the majority of people don't either. 

post #31 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

 



You actually believe that Samsung did not copy Apple. Who is talking Bullshit now

Yes! I mean if you are arguing the the the Samasung/Google Galaxy nexus looks like or the Android OS looks like iphone then you are mistaken. First of all google phone ( HTC nexus s and Samsung galaxy nexus) are developed by google meaning google direct support and OS. The OS is the official Google issues version of the OS without themes or tweaks by manufacturers. So if you think the UI is similar (which it is not, i have an iphone 4 as well) then apple will have to sue Google for this particular phone, as the the OS is pure google android experience(ASOP, the best) . Secondly how can you say Nexus looks like iphone? Nexus has a curved look, larger screen no button at all ( on screen buttons) and is sleeker than an iphone. 

post #32 of 84
Originally Posted by realfacts View Post
…if you are arguing the the the Samasung/Google Galaxy nexus looks like or the Android OS looks like iPhone then you are mistaken. First of all google phone ( HTC nexus s and Samsung galaxy nexus) are developed by google meaning google direct support and OS.

 

Please stop talking. Interestingly enough, your username couldn't be further from accurate.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #33 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

 

 

 

 

 

Wow. You guys are really not clever...

 

People buy a Galaxy Nexus. Because it is a Google/Samsung phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post

As far as the Nexus looking like an iPhone goes...I am sure Samsung decided to make the phone bigger with no physical home button, included a led indicator along with the curved glass just to make it's phone look like the iPhone...right.

 

Samscum obviously didn't design their phones to look original, they're positively 80'S!

 

 

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #34 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post




You actually believe that Samsung did not copy Apple. Who is talking Bullshit now

Never did I once say that...ever...I see you failed at reading comprehension too. Even if Samsung copied 99% of Apple products (I believe it's closer to 75%) the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus S fall in that 25%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Please stop talking. Interestingly enough, your username couldn't be further from accurate.

so the iPhone and the Galaxy Nexus are twins? The Galaxy Nexus is a direct rip off of the iPhone?

You're smarter than that Skil.

There is enough "no shit" evidence that Samsung is a blatant thief and copycat without having to brainwash yourself into believing that EVERYTHING by them is a copycat product.
post #35 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Samscum obviously didn't design their phones to look original, they're positively 80'S!



not quite sure what you're point is....

do you believe the Galaxy Nexus, a Google phone manufactured by Samsung, is a copycat product like Samsung's own products, for the most part, are?
post #36 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung counsel John Quinn argues....

...that if a single patent can block sales of a feature-rich modern smartphone, the design and manufacture of similarly complex technological marvels would become economically infeasible.

Interesting that exactly the same lawyers made the "It only takes one bullet to kill" argument regarding patents in Motorola vs Apple in Germany.

Maybe Apple should quote them back on that.

The market share argument is ridiculous, imagine a street peddler of pirate DVD's trying that defence?

I only make 0.005% of what those Hollywood fatcats make, not guilty, your honour.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #37 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post


Never did I once say that...ever...I see you failed at reading comprehension too. Even if Samsung copied 99% of Apple products (I believe it's closer to 75%) the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus S fall in that 25%.
so the iPhone and the Galaxy Nexus are twins? The Galaxy Nexus is a direct rip off of the iPhone?
You're smarter than that Skil.
There is enough "no shit" evidence that Samsung is a blatant thief and copycat without having to brainwash yourself into believing that EVERYTHING by them is a copycat product.


you seen to like to show your superior at reading and grammar, that's fine by me, but your comments are still bull.

Btw: I did not mention Nexus in my comments, just Samsung overall.

post #38 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post


not quite sure what you're point is....
do you believe the Galaxy Nexus, a Google phone manufactured by Samsung, is a copycat product like Samsung's own products, for the most part, are?

 

Don't understand your question... what I am saying is that Samesung's housing designs are old news and that the world has moved on.  Now everyone is chasing Apple, hungry for its success.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #39 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post


you seen to like to show your superior at reading and grammar, that's fine by me, but your comments are still bull.
Btw: I did not mention Nexus in my comments, just Samsung overall.

Mentioning Samsung overall in this case is a cop out and infers that all the facts about Samsung evident in the recent Apple v Samsung case also applies here...they don't.

Trade dress isn't ripped off, look and feel isn't...in fact the phones are so different they couldn't be mistaken for one another from even 10 ft away which is far greater than the average distance a user is away from a phone before or after purchase.

So your argument is essentially:

"He had to have stolen from that store owner even though he was no where near the store because we have him on Camera a week ago stealing some candy from that same store!!!!"

Do you see your logical error?
post #40 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Don't understand your question... what I am saying is that Samesung's housing designs are old news and that the world has moved on.  Now everyone is chasing Apple, hungry for its success.

ummmm, okay...10 pts for irrelevancy but at least you're correct.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung Galaxy Nexus copied iPhone features to steal market share, Apple says