Originally Posted by s.metcalf
…Jobs argued strongly that the 10" form factor was the right size and that anything less was a significant compromise for the user experience, a position with which I concur.
As do I, strongly, but it has also been said by Apple leadership themselves, in court, that Jobs was receptive to a 7" screen. Note that Steve Jobs is not CC'd on the e-mail in question, despite being alive at the time. Note that we know nothing further about this than that one e-mail.
A 7" tablet could only work if it had a retina display with a similar DPI to the larger 10" iPad, but that seems extremely unlikely because it would introduce a third new resolution that would not be a simple factor of the iPad 2's resolution, making things extremely difficult for Apple and developers. The iPad 2's resolution would not be of retina quality even if it was compressed to a 7" display. I'm sure someone can do the DPI calculation but I can't right now (it's 3 AM!).
I'm to understand that 1024x768 on a 7.85" screen is 'retina', or so they say. The PPI for that is 163.06.
So a smaller tablet with an only marginally better DPI than the iPad 2 is a step backwards in terms of the end user experience. The new iPad has sold incredibly well despite a massive number imitators and smaller tablets trying to carve out their own niche.
Once again, agreed completely. I fear, however, that Apple doesn't, despite them obviously knowing their iPad holds 95% of the market of tablets actually being used and that all 7" tablets and ALL other sizes of other tablets from ALL other manufacturers only have the remaining 5%.
Now it seems that Cook is trying to make what appear to be good business decisions without an understanding of what really drives success for a company.
I'm not sure about that. Cook is doing a pretty good job staying Steve's course. It's his hires that seem to be causing trouble, and it's his (so far slight) unwillingness to punch through potentially bad ideas put up by his other executives (like Cue) that might be a problem.
We've seen a number of concerning turn of events since Jobs's passing that lead me to believe that Cook just doesn't get it. His Keynote performances make me think I'm watching a Microsoft presentation.
He's not a presenter, he's a doer. I don't imagine he'll be highlighting many more keynotes. That's not his bag in the first place, and as right it shouldn't be. I was happy to see, though, that in his first keynote (iPhone 4S) he really gave off the feeling that he wanted the Mac's marketshare to greatly expand.