or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple could be key for big media to monetize the small screen

Apple could be key for big media to monetize the small screen

post #1 of 55
If traditional media outlets want to begin making more money from "small screen" viewing via devices like iPads, smartphones and notebooks, their best bet may be to align with Apple, one analyst believes.

Ben A. Reitzes with Barclays Capital said in a note to investors on Tuesday that the trend toward so-called "small screen" viewing on portable devices beyond the living room HDTV is providing less advertising revenue to big media companies than traditional "big screen" viewing through cable TV. That issue may force media companies to align with Apple on a new set-top box the company is said to be pursuing.

"Apple may hold the cards in being the only company that can fully monetize the small screens for big media companies," Reitzes wrote. "The risk of not partnering with Apple is that as young people may 'cut the cord' given the cost of cable that a screen connected to an Apple TV with AirPlay can provide a substantial array of content."

Last week, The Wall Street Journal revealed that Apple is working on a new set-top box device with expanded functionality over its current iOS-based Apple TV. Apple's plan for new hardware would reportedly feature an advanced cloud-based digital video recorder that would blur the lines between live content and video available on demand.

Apple's cloud-based DVR capabilities would allow users to access their content stored on off-site servers. That would go well beyond the current Apple TV, which only streams content from iTunes, Hulu and other Internet services, as well as a user's home video library.

Television

But in order to carry out its alleged vision, Apple first needs to reach deals with content providers. Thus far, Apple has yet to secure the appropriate deals with any cable operators, potentially because of a reluctance to grant Apple access into the live TV space.

While cable operators and content owners may currently be reluctant to work out a deal with Apple, Reitzes believes they may eventually be forced to make a deal in attempt to stop the trend of "cord cutting," in which some consumers have opted to ditch cable TV subscriptions entirely.
post #2 of 55

Apple will start to enjoy the benefits of its huge installed base. The revenues driven from immaterial content will explode, pushing the profit margin even further.

An iPad can ALSO be used as a TV. This is in line with the consuming habits of the young generation.

post #3 of 55

I've noticed in the last year just how much my wife and kids utilize our imac, ipad and occasionally my iphone to watch movies, tv show's etc. Our HDTV hardly ever comes on and when it does it's constant flipping through endless channels of crap. It's becoming evident to me anyway that HDTV + Cable had better watch out. I've dreamed of canceling my $100+ a month cable bill and it's beginning to look very feasible. Assuming we are a fairly typical family.

post #4 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

If traditional media outlets want to begin making more money from "small screen" viewing via devices like iPads, smartphones and notebooks, their best bet may be to align with Apple, one analyst believes.
< snip >
While cable operators and content owners may currently be reluctant to work out a deal with Apple, Reitzes believes they may eventually be forced to make a deal in attempt to stop the trend of "cord cutting," in which some consumers have opted to ditch cable TV subscriptions entirely.

It's interesting how we can be blind to some trends until someone points them out to us.

In the last three years we've had this accelerating trend to small cable-free iPads, and yet we still think of TV as being that huge thing in the living room. Young adults are much more mobile that us older adults believe and if Apple "cracks" the old entertainment paradigm it may be with a 10" screen and not a 55" screen. 

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #5 of 55

Get yourself a usenet account, Sickbeard, SABnzb and a PC to to server all that content up on Plex Media Server. Cut that cord!

post #6 of 55
Originally Posted by colding01 View Post
Get yourself a usenet account, Sickbeard, SABnzb and a PC to to server all that content up on Plex Media Server. Cut that cord!

Live streaming news channels?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #7 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Live streaming news channels?

CNN News, Fox News, MSNBC, NPR... All channels freely available on Plex. But who want to watch news anyway?

post #8 of 55
Quote:

Yeah, right. Technobabble at it's finest.
post #9 of 55
Quote:

Formula 1?

Golf?

Tennis?

post #10 of 55

You see that effing Roku box on the Plex page? I saw two of them at a Best Buy recently. Where the FRICK do they get off, anyway?

post #11 of 55

What's wrong with the Roku? I have two of them streaming to the Plex channel.

post #12 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Formula 1?

Golf?

Tennis?

That's the real downside so far, is the lack of live sporting events. You could get MLB via their app, but that's just about it.

post #13 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Yeah, right. Technobabble at it's finest.

Technobabble? Just because you can't grasp the concept?

post #14 of 55
Quote:

How much do you pay for Internet? Who provides it and what speed? I get my Internet from cable. I could switch to U-verse but it is about the same 10 Mb down 3-5 up. I also have a 5 gig per month LTE wifi hotspot account but that certainly isn't going to replace cable.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #15 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Ben A. Reitzes with Barclays Capital said in a note to investors on Tuesday that the trend toward so-called "small screen" viewing on portable devices beyond the living room HDTV is providing less advertising revenue to big media companies than traditional "big screen" viewing through cable TV. That issue may force media companies to align with Apple on a new set-top box the company is said to be pursuing.
"Apple may hold the cards in being the only company that can fully monetize the small screens for big media companies," Reitzes wrote. "The risk of not partnering with Apple is that as young people may 'cut the cord' given the cost of cable that a screen connected to an Apple TV with AirPlay can provide a substantial array of content.".

Way to go, Captain Obvious. Apple has something like 90+% of the purchased content on mobile devices. It's about time someone realized that.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #16 of 55
Quote:

In other words, a digital Rube Goldberg machine.
post #17 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

How much do you pay for Internet? Who provides it and what speed? I get my Internet from cable. I could switch to U-verse but it is about the same 10 Mb down 3-5 up. I also have a 5 gig per month LTE wifi hotspot account but that certainly isn't going to replace cable.

I have Comcast cable internet service. It's the only cord I cannot cut.

post #18 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

No, not really.

post #19 of 55
Quote:

I have Comcast cable internet service. It's the only cord I cannot cut.

I also have OTA which works pretty well for sports and the HD is fantastic. That only works for local teams though. Since LA teams are always sold out there are no black outs. You also get nework and local news, but I still have cable TV. The picture and audio quality on cable are crap.

post #20 of 55
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

THAT'S the name, dangit! I was trying to use an analogy earlier that involved one, but I couldn't remember the name! I even made one myself as a final in a physics course.

Of course now I can't remember where I was and what I was responding to that involved a Rube Goldberg machine… 

😩 やれやれ。。。

post #21 of 55
Quote:

I've personally been using a mix of PS3 Media Server, an HD antenna, and NHL Gamecenter for live hockey games, and it's worked well for me.

Does Plex transcode media files on the fly as well as PS3 Media Server does?  I can pretty much stream anything I throw at it to my PS3 without issues, so that's why I'm a bit hesitant to change.  Being able to stream a limited amount of content to my iPad/iPhone isn't as important as being able to watch absolutely anything on my HDTV.

post #22 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post

I've noticed in the last year just how much my wife and kids utilize our imac, ipad and occasionally my iphone to watch movies, tv show's etc. Our HDTV hardly ever comes on and when it does it's constant flipping through endless channels of crap. It's becoming evident to me anyway that HDTV + Cable had better watch out. I've dreamed of canceling my $100+ a month cable bill and it's beginning to look very feasible. Assuming we are a fairly typical family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Apple will start to enjoy the benefits of its huge installed base. The revenues driven from immaterial content will explode, pushing the profit margin even further.

An iPad can ALSO be used as a TV. This is in line with the consuming habits of the young generation.

Each member of our household of 5, 2 adults and 3 teenagers, has had their own iPad for over a year.

Much of the time they are used for streaming Netflix or from our local media server with Stream2Me.

Aside from the obvious advantages, there are a few subtle ones:
  1. you don't need to deal with a crappy remote -- the iPad does a fantastic job of locating content
  2. You don't experience any wasted time or frustration looking for the remote -- it's right in front of you

Dictated from my personal TV
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #23 of 55
Think of the social possibilities:

You and your friends are watching the same TV show and making extemporaneous comments... But you're in different places (rooms, houses, towns)...

Prepared on my personal TV
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #24 of 55
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post
You and your friends are watching the same TV show and making extemporaneous comments... But you're in different places (rooms, houses, towns)...

Mystery Social Networking 3000!

Oh gosh, I'm all for this now. Make fun of the same bad movies with people you thought you'd never hear from again… 

Now I just have to… find the people I'll never see or hear from again…

post #25 of 55
Quote:

What's wrong with the Roku? I have two of them streaming to the Plex channel.

How?

Ok I saw it's a channel that can be added
Edited by dasanman69 - 8/21/12 at 3:51pm
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #26 of 55
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
How?

I bet Plex has the information; they're advertising the Roku box right on their home page.

post #27 of 55

Unfortunately I suspect the media companies are still more worried about Apple doing to them what Apple has previously done to record labels and phone companies. 

post #28 of 55
Not only that, this same group of friends is collaborating on creating their own video.... And each is using his own personal TV to capture his own contribution. These crowd-sourced videos are sent to a central site where they are edited and rendered into a video by someone on his personal TV. And that video is streamed to all the collaborators.

Executed on my Personal TV
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #29 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Unfortunately I suspect the media companies are still more worried about Apple doing to them what Apple has previously done to record labels and phone companies. 

What did Apple do to record labels and phone companies? Make them a ton of money by making it so easy to get legitimate content and pay for it than to pirate content and use cheap service - that they are now making more money than ever? or maybe they aren't - just seems that way to me - if there is now some number of billion of iOS devices in the wild and they are all consuming bandwidth and content - it stands to reason that only the foolish are losing money. 

Still I can hear the various "pipe" owners suing Apple for "monopolizing" the content.

post #30 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:

Mystery Social Networking 3000!

Oh gosh, I'm all for this now. Make fun of the same bad movies with people you thought you'd never hear from again… 

Now I just have to… find the people I'll never see or hear from again…

Aw... C'mon.. The kids were just in Canada for vacation, while the boy down the street was in Wisconsin (it's flat, dontcha' know), while other friends went to Disneyland or stayed at home... All had WiFi, and they would all be back together in a few days or weeks...

It's better than sending postcards... And could be easier, cheaper and a lot more fun...

"I'm so bored... I have nothing to do!"

Edit: I even thought of a name for the app/capability.... MovieTime™
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 8/21/12 at 4:00pm
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #31 of 55
Quote:

Taking a big bite out of piracy and creating a multibillion dollar revenue stream for the record labels?

Creating what appears to be the largest surge in revenues ever for the phone companies?

That sounds about right.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #32 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:

Taking a big bite out of piracy and creating a multibillion dollar revenue stream for the record labels?

Creating what appears to be the largest surge in revenues ever for the phone companies?

That sounds about right.

Yeah... think about how much money Apple could have made for Google... if, only...

Edit:  Here's an article about the movie industry vis-a-vis pirating:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=how-hollywood-encouraging-onine-piracy

Edited by Dick Applebaum - 8/21/12 at 4:16pm
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #33 of 55

since we have appleTV, we almost forgot about cable. Can't wait for Apple to close agreements with content providers.

post #34 of 55
And isn't it interesting that when I called Time Warner Cable to cut the cord and go OTA, my Internet package which was going to be $80/month by itself, suddenly dropped to $40/month when I agreed to keep the basic local network package ... And believe me, it was a hard sell on their part ...

Clearly for every subscriber the cable company loses, they take a hit on the license fee from the networks. Granted they lose out on basic cable as well, but it seems like the big money comes from the major networks, which most people can easily get OTA. So much so, they were willing to take a 50% loss on my Internet bill, and give me additional TV services. Talk about justifying your existence ...
post #35 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post

I canceled my cable a year ago and never looked back.  There are so many other sources for content now.  I have an apple TV at home (jail broken) with netflix, rent tons of movies and dvd's and get tons from the library.  I buy series that I enjoy, and sell them or give them away when done.  It is still cheaper than cable.  I kept track for a full year and saved $460 on a cable bill for crap I didn't watch anyway.  Give it a try.  How many series do you watch on cable.  With us it was 7 shows we really wanted. 4 of them were premium cable we didn't get anyway.  Each series was $50 to buy. $350 a year to get everything we wanted. There are trade offs.  You are always about 8 months behind everyone else.  Doesn't bother me. Netflix has lots of great kids shows... but not everything... doesn't bother the 9 year old. If you are big on sports (not us), your kind of screwed without cable. I think it is pretty locked down but I could be wrong because I don't watch sports. 

By the way, I am 48. Cutting the cord is not just for the younger crowd.

I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them Samiam.
post #36 of 55
Quote:

They are going to be done to anyway.  Apple will still respect them in the morning.

Edited by samiam - 8/21/12 at 6:50pm
post #37 of 55

The cable companies can embrace new technology and new ideas and profit, or they go down kicking and screaming.

I just disconnected the TV in my bedroom and saved the extra outlet fee and box rental. Why? It occurred to me that I hadn't turned it on in months. In fact I probably only used it a few times over the last year and a half. What happened a year and a half ago? I bought my iPad 2. I regularly stream media from my iMac in my basement office as well as all sorts of great web content to my iPad. I rarely watch cable TV at all anymore. Why? I bought a 55 inch flatscreen and hooked up an Apple TV. Now I stream to my 55 inch big screen. My viewing time is probably 60% web and 40% cable and I am far happier. There is sooooo much crap on cable TV.

post #38 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Yep. Better quality, better pricing, global first run avail no more than a week after first OTA and get the nets to count it alongside the ratings as make good

Lessens the reasons for casual torrent use as well

Hell the studios need to get their heads out of their asses and get at least digital rental up within a week or two after movies leave the theatre to grab the folks that don't want to bother with sticky floors, talking people etc.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #39 of 55
Quote:

That's the real downside so far, is the lack of live sporting events. You could get MLB via their app, but that's just about it.

MLB, nfl etc.

Yeah you pay $100-150 a year per service but you generally get all games not just the 'in market' stuff that cable gives you.

post #40 of 55
Quote:

Yeah... think about how much money Apple could have made for Google... if, only...

Edit:  Here's an article about the movie industry vis-a-vis pirating:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=how-hollywood-encouraging-onine-piracy

As someone I said industry, add tv to that and he's on the money.

I have a friend looking to create a show that is basically in between a webseries and a tv show and he's looking to skip the machine and sell it direct to viewers via iTunes and perhaps amazon. He's looking for backers but they think he's insane.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple could be key for big media to monetize the small screen