or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 47% of US consumers feel they don't need 4G LTE

47% of US consumers feel they don't need 4G LTE

post #1 of 87
Though Apple's next iPhone is widely expected to have high-speed 4G long-term evolution connectivity, a new survey has found that nearly half of American consumers feel they don't need 4G LTE.

The details come from a survey of 3,000 individuals polled by investment firm Piper Jaffray. The results of the poll were revealed in a research note published Wednesday by analyst Christopher M. Larsen and shared with AppleInsider.

The survey found that 47 percent of consumers feel they don't need 4G LTE, and another 26 percent indicated they feel all 4G network technologies are the same. Just 15 percent of those polled said that 4G LTE is the best network technology.

Apple released its first 4G LTE device earlier this year with the debut of the third-generation iPad. That's helped to fuel expectations that Apple's next iPhone, frequently referred to as the "iPhone 5," will also feature 4G LTE connectivity, exceeding the 3G network technology found on previous iPhone models.

Piper Jaffray's survey also found that consumers are ambivalent about which U.S. carrier has the best 4G LTE network. Among those polled, 51 percent indicated they don't know who has the best 4G network, or that all 4G networks are the same.

LTE

Among consumers who do have an opinion on 4G LTE networks, Verizon was the clear winner. But Larsen said the general lack of opinion among consumers is good news for AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile.

The poll also asked consumers about Apple's next iPhone, and found that 55 percent of those surveyed said they are considering purchasing it. Among those who may buy an iPhone, 44 percent said they will choose Verizon, 29 percent said AT&T, 14 percent were with Sprint, and 13 percent would opt for T-Mobile, which isn't currently one of Apple's U.S. carrier partners.

"With these results in hand, we expect Verizon to continue to gain market share of high-value smartphone (subscribers)," Larsen wrote. "Keep in mind, the iPhone carries a high subsidy, and therefore high initial sales have a short term negative impact on margins."
post #2 of 87

Broadly, consumers don't understand technology or what they think they 'need' until they use it first. I think this is a poorly worded poll, but I'm sure people would and have said the same about broadband internet, HD TVs and mulitcore computers. 

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #3 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though Apple's next iPhone is widely expected to have high-speed 4G long-term evolution connectivity, a new survey has found that nearly half of American consumers feel they don't need 4G LTE.

What an idiotic survey.

Of course most people don't NEED 4G LTE. It's nice, but I can't think of very many situations where it is a necessity.

In addition, the survey is ridiculous. When creating a survey, you want the options to be similar on content and mutually exclusive. Here, people are asked "which is better" and then given an option of "I don't need 4G LTE" which doesn't even answer the question - and most people could give two different responses.

I really wish that people who are in the business of giving surveys would learn how to construct them.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #4 of 87

I find 4G substantially more productive here in NYC.  On my commute to work, I like to check my mails, web servers, google analytics and such.  3G was very slow and spotty. When I bought the 3rd generation iPad, the performance was 10x.  Pages load like wifi. In this city, waiting longer is getting less done.  Simple as that.

Apple increments product features one bite at a time...hence the logo. Want the next big thing? You're gonna have to pick another fruit from the Apple Tree.

Apple increments product features one bite at a time...hence the logo. Want the next big thing? You're gonna have to pick another fruit from the Apple Tree.

post #5 of 87

This is why the techie/nerd/geek crowd lives in a bubble. The majority of users aren't on their mobile devices 24/7 streaming movies and sucking up bandwidth.  The majority of users are texting, reading email, and occasionally visiting a web site to check the price of bananas that day. They don't need 4G or unlimited data plans. Only the wankers who visit forums like this one get enraged that they can't use 25GB of data every day and not pay extra for it, or that the latency on their smart phone is keeping them from winning some online game. Meanwhile the "spectrum apocalypse" is on its way. Oh God! how will we survive?

post #6 of 87

If I were the phone companies, I would be more concerned that over 70% either don't think they need it or don't really care (aka, "they are all the same"). I would put myself in the "I don't NEED it group." Sure, it would be nice, but I'm really not willing to pay anything extra for the additional speed.

post #7 of 87
I don't need LTE. I don't stream anything. I don't need to get my email 2 seconds faster nor do I need a webpage to load a few seconds faster.
post #8 of 87

Has the time come already, that consumers have enough certain specs in their devices and aren't tempted to pay for more?

It happened to CPUs, ink jet printers and digital cameras. Perhaps mobile connection speed reaches that point.

post #9 of 87
I wonder how many surveyed already had iPhone anti- AT&T bias to begin with?
post #10 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I don't need LTE. I don't stream anything. I don't need to get my email 2 seconds faster nor do I need a webpage to load a few seconds faster.

Same here.  I'm a techie but use hardly any 3G bandwidth, <100MB per month, so LTE is not much use to me.

post #11 of 87
And this won't work on Australia's 4G network either I'm guessing...
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #12 of 87

Oh, I got it.

So, next iphone is not LTE

post #13 of 87
Why is this news? If they don't want it, turn it off? For those that have experienced it, it's not and day for a mobile device browsing experience. I suspect many in this poll haven't used LTE or have no understanding of what it is compared to what they have now, or if most consumers are even aware of what they have now. Most tech heads will understand the benefits. Most 'users' will not notice or just don't care.
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
post #14 of 87

I am amazed that 47% of people are sane. Having 100 Mbit (100Mbit is 4G. LTE is not 4G. LTE advance is 4G)  in you phone is nothing you need. Not as long as most countries have crazy data plans. Why would you download a blu ray to your phone? 

Best case scenario is that LTE makes bandwidth cheaper for the cell operators. The same day you can have an unlimited plan for a normal price, many can pull the plug to their XDSL lines and cable modems. Many telephone companies are upgrading their base stations with fibre between them or WiFi to offload data. In the long run telephone companies needs to understand that they are nothing more then bandwidth providers. 

I hope US follows Europe and stop subsidizing phones and instead offer cheaper call/data plans. In my country I can get 10 gig/month data plan for under 10 dollar/month. Real unlimited data is 100 dollars/month. US call/data prices are insane. For example AT&T that have tons of drop calls since they only have 1/3 of the recommended cell density. They have insane profits and they are just a dump data pipe. 

post #15 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Why is this news? If they don't want it, turn it off? For those that have experienced it, it's not and day for a mobile device browsing experience. I suspect many in this poll haven't used LTE or have no understanding of what it is compared to what they have now, or if most consumers are even aware of what they have now. Most tech heads will understand the benefits. Most 'users' will not notice or just don't care.

There are not enough tech heads to make LTE worthwile at the moment. Perhaps like 3D TV; techies snapped them up but failed to lure Joe and Jane The Plumber to buy enough of them to make profit.

Has Sharp been in a tough spot from losing the 3D bet?

post #16 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by shompa View Post

In my country I can get 10 gig/month data plan for under 10 dollar/month.

Really? Which country do you live in ?

post #17 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

Oh, I got it.

So, next iphone is not LTE

5S would be the earliest I think.

post #18 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

And this won't work on Australia's 4G network either I'm guessing...

The rumour is that the new Qualcomm chip is a world chip. 

I still feel cheated by Apple. Bought the 4G iPad only to find out that LTE does not work in my country. 

Best case scenario is that Apple bumps iPads 14 september. If they are going to bump the spec for the mini connector, Apple can with pretty small effort change the baseband chip for world use.

If Apple also started to use 32nm SoC they could make iPad3+ the ultimate tablet. 

post #19 of 87
Quote:

South Korea? Taiwan? Singapore?

post #20 of 87

Another issue is cost

im sure at least to some of the people in the poll

they know that once 4G is rolled put nationwide

it means higher bills

Sure 4G has a lot more potential than 3G networks

but at least with At&t, 

in most places I go to, I don't get full 3G speeds

So this is like buying a car with a 100mph top speed to replace your old car with 60mph top speed

even though you never drive faster than 30mph

post #21 of 87
Quote:

Sweden. I pay actually less then 10 dollars and we have 25% sales tax here! 

When you have used your 10 gig, you can still use the data plan without extra cost. They just throttle down to 384Kbit. And 384Kbit is the exact original spec of 3G. 

Fun how 3G have gone from 384Kbit to over 40Mbit today in just 12 years. We will see the same with LTE. I love technology :)

post #22 of 87
Many people don't need something they don't have, so that's understandable. But ask them what the would like and I'm willing to brt reasonably priced data plans would be at the top of the list.
post #23 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

If it even was seconds. Its less then that!

A webpage is usually about 1 meg. If you got real world 40Mbit 3G it takes 0.2 seconds to load the page. With 80Mbit LTE it takes 0.4 sec. 

Tech nerds that love to have long spec list with WAP,GPRS,LTE,HSPA+,BT4-EDR,AMOLED,803.11AC,5.5inch,Android 4.11 build 6969 and so on...

Ordinary people care about the experience. No one buys a car just because one car have better tech specs. Computer nerds needs to understand that the computer world is the same. 

Mostly Fandroid and PC users. "you get much more hardware for the same price as Apple. You are stupid buying Apple. You have to be a soccer mom"

post #24 of 87

True that 3g speed probably is good enough for most users.  The problem is, 90% of the places I go (all well populated towns and cities in the Philadelphia area) have awful 3g speed on ATT.   I know they can support it.  Oddly, there are few spots right in the middle of Center City Philadelphia that oddly get very fast 3g speed for me.  Then step a few miles away and smartphones are useless.

So... I want 4g speed...  not for HD video or streaming vid phone calls...   but simply so that I can check emails, web pages and facebook without having to wait 90 seconds for each page to load.

post #25 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Maybe its propaganda put out by a major carrier (or carriers) who isn't fully ready to support LTE...  and with consumers knowing this they fear a mass exodus of consumers when the 5 comes out.

Here is the script you will be hearing all across the non-LTE areas of the country:

"We wont have LTE in your area until 2013... but truthfully 47% of consumers say they don't need LTE... and the 53% are the heavy users downloading video...   you're probably not a heavy video user, right?   and truthfully all carriers have a cap on downloads so you get that fast video and then by the second week you are over your data plan.  Kind of funny isnt it?   So you really don't need LTE today"

post #26 of 87
The poll results were even more skewed before they changed the winning answer from

I don't need no steenkeen' LTE

Apparently they wanted the result to be taken a little more seriously.
Edited by softeky - 8/22/12 at 8:30am
post #27 of 87

Consumers want services and products, not technologies. New services and products will rely on LTE. Only then will consumers need LTE.

I'm sure 47% of consumers didn't feel the need for broadband before YouTube, Hulu, etc. came along.

post #28 of 87

I'd want to see the exact questionnaire and its wording before trying to draw any conclusions at all.

post #29 of 87

I don't really feel the need to have it on my phone either. 3G is adequate for me. I only use Safari mobile for brief things and most of the time I'm on a WiFi network anyways. I mostly use my iPhone for email, texting, calling, and certain apps which don't use a lot of bandwidth. 

To me, I see 4G is a nice to have...not a need to have. I'm not going to complain if all of a sudden I start getting 4G, but I'm not going to go buy all new hardware just to get it either. I don't feel its necessary. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #30 of 87

Another day, another stupid analyst survey.  The carriers have done a great job of mucking up with 4G, let alone the difference between 4G LTE vs 4G (HSDPA/HSUPA) and that neither was the spec for 4G anyways.  So its not surprising customers don't think they need it.  If you are on CDMA then yes you really do want LTE, but you don't want the new data plans that are no where near as consumer friendly as they were on 3G (unlimited) data.  Those days are long gone.

In the future I am looking so forward to VoLTE and seeing what the carriers plan on doing then since all of the devices traffic will be essentially data packets we will all be screwed.

post #31 of 87
4G is so awesome with a 2 GB data cap!
post #32 of 87

I have used it and it is a better customer (consumer) experience.  We travel between homes in South GA (a farming area) & Northern-Middle GA (a lake area).  I don't know why Verizon did not turn it on first in the Lake Sinclair - Lake Oconee area, but they did not do it.  Having it in 1 place and not the other, I can say I miss it.  It is much faster.  Do I care about e-mail arriving a few seconds later on my iPhone or iPad, not really - Unless I happen to be using them.  If they are on my desk as they are now, I do not care.  If I am looking at them, I care about waiting.  The length of time it takes for the web page to pop up on my iPhone is frustrating - and it is so, so, small !  The 4G LTE iPad is blazingly fast compared to the 3G turtle iPhone, but only when I am in a 4G LTE area - the 4G LTE experience is pleasant.  Who does it benefit the most ?  The consumer or the cell phone company, I have not researched this.  But it must benefit the cell phone company a lot.  More data, faster to the customer, the customer likes it, and they can handle more customers (or at least I think they might).  Our cable pipe (bandwidth) at in the lake area is about 2% full or 98% empty.  They can handle future expansion - but it may not come in my lifetime due to the present economic development collapse in our country.

When I was in Brazil many years ago, I was surprised to see people in Malls with so many cell phones and very few public phones - they were in Phone Stores.  If you did not have a cell phone, you went into a Phone Store and paid to use a land line phone.  I bet today it is not that way.  The Brazilians leap frogged ahead then with cell phones, because they could not afford to wire the country with land lines.

If I could get 4G LTE or faster technology delivered to me at all times, I would probably turn off my cable TV, internet, and other forms of communication and use wireless provided it was reasonable.  I want 4G LTE in my laptop (and Wi-FI).  If you add up the cost of communications for a home owner and compare it to many, many years ago, it is much more than it used to be.  We don't need this much cost, but we need state of the art communications - that costs money.  Do I want to live in another country where the person somewhere above said it costs $10 / 10G Byte, I don't know.  Right now we are captive where are.

3G is not good enough for me.  4G LTE is great if you can get it and if you only have it in some places, it can be very frustrating.  But, bring on 4G LTE and lets see what happens !  But not higher costs !  After all the providers are going to benefit as much as we benefit.

post #33 of 87

lol, i bet 47% of "US consumers" have no idea what LTE is.. its really a shame. the only reason i diddnt get another 4S when mine got lost is cause all i wanted was LTE and had to sell out to HTC for a few months till iphone 5. 

post #34 of 87

if they just asked "what is better" then the data means nothing.

To one person that means "what is faster"

to another person that means "what fits in my budget better"

To another that could mean "uses less battery power so my phone lasts longer"

etc etc...

post #35 of 87

are data concerns still a real concern? i still have unlimited data for some reason even though i have an htc one x, but i was granfathered in on att by my old 3g iphone. 

post #36 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Broadly, consumers don't understand technology or what they think they 'need' until they use it first. I think this is a poorly worded poll, but I'm sure people would and have said the same about broadband internet, HD TVs and mulitcore computers. 

You don't need a quad core, 2,623Ghz CPU to check email. Nor do you need the latest mega performance graphics card. And you certainly don't need 10,000 channels on your cable subscription.
post #37 of 87

Most say that they don't need it because they've never experienced it. 4G coverage for the majors like Verizon and AT&T sucks as a whole across the country. Even a major city like Miami still does not have the coverage. Perhaps if people have used it on a regular basis, they would have a benchmark for which to compare.

post #38 of 87

I don't want/need 4g LTE because of my data plan limits.

It's like getting a hose capable delivering a gallon of water a second and only having two gallons a water a month to use.

Plus, other than map data and podcasts I don't download much data onto my phone (again, because of the monthly limits.)

post #39 of 87

On a phone, LTE is overkill.  On laptops, tablets it's desirable.

The biggest issue is network providers not providing adequate 3G performance.  I.e. capacity issues on existing networks.

Additionally LTE is also a standards nightmare... look at the iPad sold to Australia.  At least 3G is a standard that is compatible around most of the world.

post #40 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

I surely would have said I don't need LTE. The poll doesn't allow for "I want LTE if it's power efficient enough to..." or "I want LTE if it's in the iPhone..." The former speaks to the usability and the latter speaks to the preferred the handset. I can imagine the type of person that would buy based on specs along but they aren't people whose judgment I trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Fun how 3G have gone from 384Kbit to over 40Mbit today in just 12 years. We will see the same with LTE. I love technology 1smile.gif

It's interesting that we call all that '3G' when it's clearly many generations of development of improvement on the spec and HW. When we up the speed of Ethernet and USB we note it but we don't do for something that has such a wide expanse. And 3GPP '3G' hasn't stopped. We have '4G' networks that are slower than '3G' networks, but customers don't analyze that stuff. They don't what the underlying air interface is; they should only care about what the speed means to them.

What I propose is a scale that follows a general Optical Carrier transmission rates. OC-1 starts at 51.84 Mb/s. and any OC-x value will be that number multiplied by 51.84. With cellular data rates I suggest something eve simpler, using a base 10 Mb/s scale that is rounded. That would mean 72Mb/s LTE capability between both your device and the tower would show up next to your signal strength not as LTE but as x7 or x7.2. This is scalable and works for today as well as 20 years from now.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 47% of US consumers feel they don't need 4G LTE