or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Image of purported next-gen iPhone USB cable shows smaller dock connector

Image of purported next-gen iPhone USB cable shows smaller dock connector - Page 2

post #41 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

He's probably one of those guys that's scared of using the white products for fear of being thought "less manly" as well.  

I always chuckle to myself when I see some guy using a black iPhone, knowing that at least half the time this is probably their main motivation for the choice.  

The white iPhone looks alright, though it is mostly for females, IMO. I bought a white iPod Touch as a present for somebody last christmas, and the recipient was obviously a female.

The main reason that I prefer my black iPad to a white one is simply because I find a black border to be far less distracting than a white border.

post #42 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Every damn thing looks ridiculous if you're not used to it. Everything. The curernt cable will look ridiculous in a few years. Have some foresight.

I second that!

These two photos will look the same to the next generation of electronics users.

Think about it.

When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
post #43 of 100

I'm a 30 year old man and have a white iPhone and I don't feel girly holding it or using it in puplic. I got it cause I had two black iPod touches and liked the refreshing look of white. My new iPad is white too. I just like the look of Apple products in white. Probably why I bought a white Macbook rather than the "Blackbook".

That would be funny though if some guys were embarrassed to have a white iPhone and someone did a "we've switched this man's black iPhone with a white iPhone. Let's see what happens..." Will he throw it as if it carried the plague or just sit there like a deer in headlights hoping his macho friends don't see him holding a white iPhone? 

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

post #44 of 100
Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post
These two photos will look the same to the next generation of electronics users.

Think about it.

I think more these two photos will look the same to the next generation… 

Edited by Tallest Skil - 8/22/12 at 1:47pm

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #45 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post

Why is the metal part SO big though? It looks ridiclous, not to mention that people will try to push it in further, because we've been trained over the years that it's not in fully until you can't see the shiny anymore, and it may result in iPhone or cable damage.

I think it actually will go in that far.  My guess is that the extra metal will be that it uses Magsafe to keep it held in.

So far from what we have seen, we have a cable that is as small as mini-usb, and can be plugged into either orientation  and is held in by Magsafe.

I really hope this is true!

post #46 of 100
It is absolutely the mst magnifancent development by Apple since they named the company after a fruit. Jobs is smiling down.
post #47 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

I wonder how the headphone jack moved to the bottom will affect Square's payment system which uses the headphone jack for it's credit card swipe connector to get around licensing fees to Apple. I guess you could orient the phone upside down so the headphone jack is up top but If you are charging the phone, the charging cable will be right beside it.

Considering the 3.5mm audio port is circular, you can orient the swiping mechanism at any angle away from the docking cable, even perpendicular in angle as I would assume to use it.

post #48 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by msb0014 View Post

If Apple doesn't include some sort of adapter (free) to interface with the plethora of 30 pin devices there will be a major public outcry. It would be a stupid/horrible omission on their part.

Ain't happenin'.

Start saving your $10 now.

post #49 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I think more these two photos will look the same to the next generation… 

Replacing a desktop tower with a cable would be an amazing technological achievement. That's awesome, when's Apple coming out with that?

post #50 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post

For god sakes Tim Cook, stop all the leaks!!! There are no surprises left of the iPhone 5. If there are no surprises why even bother hosting an announcement?  Perhaps that's your ultimate motive, you don't like to present in front of thousands so you're going to use leaks to make the announcements unnecessary?

What kind of doubling down on secrecy is this? Was that a joke?

Calm down. The level of secrecy thus far exceeds what I've seen for major product releases in the past few years (except for the iPhone 4S).

post #51 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntercr View Post

I think it actually will go in that far.  My guess is that the extra metal will be that it uses Magsafe to keep it held in.

So far from what we have seen, we have a cable that is as small as mini-usb, and can be plugged into either orientation  and is held in by Magsafe.

There has been absolutely no evidence or leaks of any kind that would indicate that this is a magsafe type connector.  There has actually been some evidence against it even.  Also, common sense would argue against it.   

post #52 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The white iPhone looks alright, though it is mostly for females, IMO. I bought a white iPod Touch as a present for somebody last christmas, and the recipient was obviously a female.

The main reason that I prefer my black iPad to a white one is simply because I find a black border to be far less distracting than a white border.

So you never owned the first couple of generations of iPods? C'mon....

On a whim, I switched to white with The New iPad and the 4S (because, regardless of male or female, all I see around me are blacks for both), and I love the look of it. Afaik, I am about as male as they come......!

post #53 of 100
Quote:

Just digging a deeper hole here.  

You are pretty obviously an old time sexist kind of guy.  Nuff said. 

post #54 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

So you never owned the first couple of generations of iPods? C'mon....

On a whim, I switched to white with The New iPad and the 4S (because, regardless of male or female, all I see around me are blacks for both), and I love the look of it. Afaik, I am about as male as they come......!

Regarding the iPods, I sure did have a few of those. I still have them in a drawer somewhere. At that time, white was new, and there was no black. I also remember some black/red U2 ipod.

I've been seeing a lot of both black and white iOS devices lately. 

post #55 of 100
Quote:

Sexist, racist, homophobe.....

He's an equal opportunity bigot.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #56 of 100
Quote:

This is only a minor detail, and I've said this before, but I wish that Apple would make black cables. They obviously don't have to get rid of the white, clinical looking, made for women cables, just add black cables for those people who happen to have black iOS devices. White cables look out of place and annoying when plugged into my devices, most of which are black.

Interesting you should say that.  i was just thinking last night that the whole aluminum/white paradigm Apple has been pushing for some many years may be about ready to change.   Steve is gone and I believe he was the main proponent of that particular scheme.  Ive is a great designer and I doubt that he thinks there is no room for change in the external appearance of Apple products.  While black is sort of the easy choice, I don't think that is necessarily what Apple would move towards.  I'll be curious to see over the next few years what colors become the new Apple standard.  

post #57 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Interesting you should say that.  i was just thinking last night that the whole aluminum/white paradigm Apple has been pushing for some many years may be about ready to change.   Steve is gone and I believe he was the main proponent of that particular scheme.  Ive is a great designer and I doubt that he thinks there is no room for change in the external appearance of Apple products.  While black is sort of the easy choice, I don't think that is necessarily what Apple would move towards.  I'll be curious to see over the next few years what colors become the new Apple standard.  

Apple has become a mainstream company, and has thus moved away from much of its 'funky' tendencies to create things that would be attractive, sleek and 'neutral' to as many kinds of people as possible. I can't imagine anything more acceptable than black/white. Don't see them moving back towards colors for their flagship products. 

post #58 of 100
Quote:

You are pretty obviously an old time sexist kind of guy.

Probably not in his mind though.

He has a valid point but it just came out the wrong way. I think females probably prefer the white color more than males but there is nothing at all wrong with males liking the white one and females liking the black one. 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #59 of 100
Quote:

It's not MagSafe. The connector has two little dimples on the sides that distinctly "click" into place when the cable is inserted and seated. (Little spring-loaded ball bearings in the female half of the connector snap into the dimples.) The "click" feedback is another nice little Apple UX touch.

post #60 of 100
Quote:

That's one point about this whole thing I've never understood. Is there a single accessory out there that doesn't have some back support for the device? Whether the connector is wide/deep enough to hold up the device is completely irrelevant, as the docking area of the accessory itself is built to hold it up.

Actually, there are quite a few that offer very little back support. But even with the ones that do offer support, a strong connector is still needed as that's the "lock" that prevents the phone from pivoting off the dock.

BTW, did you happen to notice how well this 8/9-pin connector fits in with our previous conversation?

post #61 of 100
Quote:

Next month, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple releases a "Flower" iPad mini, that's kind of similar to their old iMac, and some strange and confused people here will claim that it's manly, and I'm sexist for ever suggesting anything to the contrary. I couldn't give two craps if a male wishes for a "here's my pony" iPad, but they shouldn't pretend for a single second that their choice is not feminine.

post #62 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Apple has become a mainstream company, and has thus moved away from much of its 'funky' tendencies to create things that would be attractive, sleek and 'neutral' to as many kinds of people as possible. I can't imagine anything more acceptable than black/white. Don't see them moving back towards colors for their flagship products. 

I was thinking more like  - anything but white/aluminum.  I agree colors of the spectrum are not likely.  Guess that leaves, black, gray and some other metallic tonal choices.

post #63 of 100
Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

BTW, did you happen to notice how well this 8/9-pin connector fits in with our previous conversation?

Sure, but that's because our previous conversation was about the 8/9 pin connector. I don't see what has changed here, if anything.

post #64 of 100

one question though... how does this connect play in the EU where there is supposed to be a 'standard' microUSB adaptor cord for 'data enabled' phones?   is there enough room on this new plug to build and adaptor with a a microUSB?

post #65 of 100
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post
one question though... how does this connect play in the EU where there is supposed to be a 'standard' microUSB adaptor cord for 'data enabled' phones?   is there enough room on this new plug to build and adaptor with a a microUSB?

So they'll make a Dock Connector 2 to MicroUSB adapter. Big deal. They're not putting MicroUSB on their devices.

post #66 of 100
Quote:

Sure, but that's because our previous conversation was about the 8/9 pin connector. I don't see what has changed here, if anything.

You mean, other than this photo appearing after I made my previous comments, and pretty much validating everything that I claimed? (grin)

post #67 of 100
You mean, other than this photo appearing after I made my previous comments, and pretty much validating everything that I claimed? (grin)

Absolutely nothing you said is clarified or proven by this image. We know nothing more than we did then other than knowing now that this plug will indeed be connected to a piece of longness. 

post #68 of 100

Everyone ranting and raving about leaks and "ruining" the announcement...

Please simmer down!

I really think that if the cables and connectors is what you are focusing on,

or if leaked details of that ruin "the release" for you

...uh, you may not be focusing on 

what makes it an iPhone.

post #69 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

What TS said... or there is the rumour that Apple got real clever and made the connector port backwards compatible with Micro-USB on their devices. I think that's unlikely but it's not the craziest thing I've heard Apple will do regarding this new connector. Some are saying Apple will kill off the accessories market by getting rid of video and audio out.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #70 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What TS said... or there is the rumour that Apple got real clever and made the connector port backwards compatible with Micro-USB on their devices. I think that's unlikely but it's not the craziest thing I've heard Apple will do regarding this new connector. Some are saying Apple will kill off the accessories market by getting rid of video and audio out.

USB 2.0 is backwards compatible with USB 3.0...

...and "some" are saying that a new, high-speed interconnect cable will boost the accessories market like nothing else. (grin)

post #71 of 100
Quote:

That's one point about this whole thing I've never understood. Is there a single accessory out there that doesn't have some back support for the device? Whether the connector is wide/deep enough to hold up the device is completely irrelevant, as the docking area of the accessory itself is built to hold it up.

No back support. Relies on connector...

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #72 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVertigo View Post

It doesn't look any "longer" or "deeper" than the current plug. 

Yeah, I don't know where people are getting this "why is it so long" thing.  Looking at the picture (as has been mentioned) it appears to be about half the length of the USB connector, which is exactly what the current dock connector is.  

I think maybe the fact that it's so much narrower is making people see it as much longer?  

They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #73 of 100
Quote:

USB 2.0 is backwards compatible with USB 3.0...

I like turtles! I have no idea what you mean by referencing the protocols when I mentioned the port connector for Micro-USB and the rumoured new dock connector.

Also, it's USB 3.0 that's backward's compatible with USB 2.0. I know you meant and I'm sure you meant it that way but on a tech forum that does make a difference.

post #74 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Yeah, I don't know where people are getting this "why is it so long" thing.  Looking at the picture (as has been mentioned) it appears to be about half the length of the USB connector, which is exactly what the current dock connector is.  

I think maybe the fact that it's so much narrower is making people see it as much longer?  

But it's around double the length of the current dock connector. That's the one it's being measured by, not USB-A as that doesn't plug into iDevices. It needs to be longer to get a decent amount of surface area for a solid connection. There are likely also spring loaded clips as ahmlco mentioned but that only helps from falling out.

post #75 of 100

Quote:

This is only a minor detail, and I've said this before, but I wish that Apple would make black cables. They obviously don't have to get rid of the white, clinical looking, made for women cables, just add black cables for those people who happen to have black iOS devices. White cables look out of place and annoying when plugged into my devices, most of which are black.

I bought a black third party iPad power extension cable a few months ago and it didn't even last a week, it was poorly made. When I buy my next iPad, I would like a black cable to be in the box. I very much doubt that that would happen, but a person can wish at least.

So white is simply a color that belongs to women? I guess I should change the color of my skin, then, too. :troll:

post #76 of 100
Quote:

There has been absolutely no evidence or leaks of any kind that would indicate that this is a magsafe type connector.  There has actually been some evidence against it even.  Also, common sense would argue against it.   

There's no evidence against it that I know of. I believe I may have read someone else speculate this, but granted no evidence per se.

It would seem to me a good possibility that this could happen. It's such an elegant feature.

What common sense would you say is against it?

It would add a stumbling block to cloning apple's cable, which Apple certainly desires.

Since the orientation doesn't matter, it would make docking/plugging in your iDevice  "magically" simple. Current magsafe power devices have the "any orientation" feature

There would be no interference of usability in the metal case since it's aluminum.

The more I think of it, the more I see this as a great idea.

post #77 of 100
Quote:

There's no evidence against it that I know of. I believe I may have read someone else speculate this, but granted no evidence per se.

It would seem to me a good possibility that this could happen. It's such an elegant feature.

What common sense would you say is against it?

It would add a stumbling block to cloning apple's cable, which Apple certainly desires.

Since the orientation doesn't matter, it would make docking/plugging in your iDevice  "magically" simple. Current magsafe power devices have the "any orientation" feature

There would be no interference of usability in the metal case since it's aluminum.

The more I think of it, the more I see this as a great idea.

What common sense? The common sense that there's no way in hell this can function as a magsafe with the amount of length that is inserted into the device, and the fact that the pins make contact from the sides. The shape and insertion method make it impossible. So yes, it is common sense. How do you imagine it would slide out?

post #78 of 100
Quote:

Pretty much none of the docking stations I have include the proper adapter to accept my iPhone 4S with a case on it - I resorted to buying a pack of adapters made for an Agent18 case that is a pretty good fit - but in the end there is very little or no support for my iPhone provided by the dock - and even less for the wife's iPhone which has a thinner case on it - which is still to thick to be used with the adapter made for a bare iPhone. 

post #79 of 100
Quote:

Have you seen the Apple iPhone 4 dock? Very little back support. I also own an alarm clock radio in which the dock connector is the only point of contact.

post #80 of 100
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post
No back support. Relies on connector...

Yes, back support. Specifically does not rely on the connector. It's recessed, for heaven's sake. THAT is the support.

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post
Have you seen the Apple iPhone 4 dock? Very little back support. I also own an alarm clock radio in which the dock connector is the only point of contact.

Those are two completely different scenarios. I'd love to see a shot of that alarm clock, if that's possible.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Image of purported next-gen iPhone USB cable shows smaller dock connector
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Image of purported next-gen iPhone USB cable shows smaller dock connector