or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › LG exec says mass production of in-cell displays has started ahead of rumored iPhone launch

LG exec says mass production of in-cell displays has started ahead of rumored iPhone launch

post #1 of 46
The CEO of panel maker LG on Wednesday said the company has started mass production of thin and light in-cell displays, a technology many expect will be employed in the next-generation iPhone.

"We just began mass production and we don't expect any disruption in supplies," said chief executive of LG Display Han Sang-beom. His comments were under embargo until early Thursday, Korean time, reports Reuters.

While details are scarce, the CEO's comments are in line with rumors saying Apple will debut the next-generation handset at a special event on Sept. 12, a date only three weeks away. Follow-up reports claim the company will be taking pre-orders on launch day which will be fulfilled in the U.S. on Sept. 21.

Analysts have speculated that Apple will be using new in-cell LCD technology in an effort to slim down the rumored device by up to 0.4mm. Among the suppliers capable of mass producing in-cell units is Sharp, LG and Japan Display, Inc., a new company formed in 2012 from the display arms of Toshiba, Sony and Hitachi. A previous report notes Sony and Hitachi began shipping 4-inch LCD panels to Apple in November 2011 to be used in an unknown iOS device scheduled for release this year.

Wednesday's announcement comes just days after photos of a purported next-gen iPhone display assembly surfaced. The unit was unpowered and not much information could be gleaned from the "leaked" part.

Display Assembly
Photos claiming to be of the next-gen iPhone's display assembly. | Source: UBreakiFix.com

AppleInsider discovered Apple itself recently won a U.S. patent for in-cell touchscreen technology. Embodiments of the invention range from basic in-cell display adaptations, which remove a layer of substrate (glass) by integrating the display's touch sensing and LCD elements, to completely new ideas regarding the manufacture of such screens.

In-cell technology is thought to be a good fit for the sixth-generation iPhone as a thinner display would offset the weight gain associated with an increase in screen size. Because the multitouch display is the iPhone's only method of input, it dictates the handset's design, thus an enlarged screen would mean an overall increase in dimensions. It is not known if Apple will employ the recently-patented inventions or rely on those from third-party display manufacturers.
post #2 of 46

So are the current rumors that it will be unveiled on Sep. 21 and released on Oct. 4th.?

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

post #3 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

So are the current rumors that it will be unveiled on Sep. 21 and released on Oct. 4th.?

So does the announcement happen on the 12th or the 21st????

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #4 of 46

Announced on the 12th and released on the 21st. Products are released on Fridays and announced on Wednesdays.

Edited by Tallest Skil - 8/22/12 at 6:36pm

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #5 of 46

It's good to see LG putting the money they get for these things to good use.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #6 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Announced on the 12th and released on the 21st. Products are released on Fridays and  announced on Wednesdays.

Oh. So a small change since last year.

post #7 of 46
Quote:

Announced on the 12th and released on the 21st. Products are released on Fridays and  announced on Wednesdays.

Kinda hard to believe they'll have millions ready to go a month from now.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #8 of 46
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Kinda hard to believe they'll have millions ready to go a month from now.

Just US launch, I imagine. Not China or anything.

post #9 of 46
Quote:

Just US launch, I imagine. Not China or anything.

We should get them first, again.

Thanks to the International date line.

While you are sleeping in Australia we will have them.

post #10 of 46
Quote:

Oh. So a small change since last year.

Also a change from 2010 when I picked up my iPhone 4 on its June 24 launch day, a Thursday.

And from the iPhone 4S announcement on October 4, 2011, a Tuesday.

I also clearly remember my wife giddily awaiting the delivery of her per-ordered original iPad on its launch day - Saturday, April 3, 2010.
John
John
post #11 of 46
Have you seen the Jack-in-the-Box commercials that parody Siri?
Classic. Too bad it's so true though.
Very happy with my Samsung G2, which has a larger screen than even the new iPhone. Plus, a much more customizable UI.
post #12 of 46

Although the iPhone revolutionized the mobile phone and PDA all in one concept I am worried that this revision of iPhone may not be a big seller as Previous versions.  I think the Slamslung phone and the AT&T attitude (anti Apple Data hog) may hurt the iPhone and its newer versions in the long run.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #13 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post

Very happy with my Samsung G2, which has a larger screen than even the new iPhone. Plus, a much more customizable UI.

Wow. Just looked over your posts. No agenda there. :D

post #14 of 46

Another year, Another iphone.

post #15 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Wow. Just looked over your posts. No agenda there. 1biggrin.gif

She likes a good parody, large screens and customization. What's the issue?
post #16 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateScreenNames View Post

Also a change from 2010 when I picked up my iPhone 4 on its June 24 launch day, a Thursday.
And from the iPhone 4S announcement on October 4, 2011, a Tuesday.
I also clearly remember my wife giddily awaiting the delivery of her per-ordered original iPad on its launch day - Saturday, April 3, 2010.

I am just guessing here, but they likely want to avoid an announcement on Tuesday, September 11...

Just a thought.
post #17 of 46
Quote:

What are those? Do you have a YouTube link?

post #18 of 46

Hopefully they don't have burn in issues like the LG panels are said to have for the rMBP        im hoping for a samsung screen believe it or not

post #19 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

Brilliant, isn't it? Perhaps by this time next year Samsung can build a tablet that doesn't feel like it will fall apart in your hands.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #20 of 46
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

That should give them plenty of extra time to complain about how the LTE doesn't work.

😬

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that absolutely no one here cares in any respect.

Another thread, another troll.

Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post
I am just guessing here, but they likely want to avoid an announcement on Tuesday, September 11...
Just a thought.

They don't do any Tuesday announcements anymore.

Edited by Tallest Skil - 8/22/12 at 9:20pm

post #21 of 46
It's good to hear that production is happening ahead of the launch¡

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #22 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's good to hear that production is happening ahead of the launch¡

Heheh. Who'da thunk it?

post #23 of 46

I'm not concerned much on how the public receives the new iPhone ...everyone has been waiting for this update since the 4th iPhone... and guess what?? The design that they are currently showing of the leaked photos on this website... will not really make them so happy but its okay because it's really thin and it has a widescreen display. But I think most people are expecting something like this... since they aren't AI's.

http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/iphone-5.jpg?w=508&h=362&h=362

( with the edges fixed to look like the 3GS's) and instead they are getting the design we've been seeing all over here, and last time Apple stuck to their old design the stock went down 20 bucks at launch and Steve Jobs passed away the day after. If it was up to him he would of made the iPhone more like the one in the photo I showed... and it would come in all colors like those of the iPod shuffles.

And if Apple is to launch an iPhone during Septemeber you'd be wrong, just like last years predictions... they had an event on October, and I think they will launch it on November just in time for the holiday season shopping.

post #24 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat09 View Post

I'm not concerned much on how the public receives the new iPhone ...everyone has been waiting for this update since the 4th iPhone... and guess what?? The design that they are currently showing of the leaked photos on this website... will not really make them so happy but its okay because it's really thin and it has a widescreen display. But I think most people are expecting something like this... since they aren't AI's.

( with the edges fixed to look like the 3GS's) and instead they are getting the design we've been seeing all over here, and last time Apple stuck to their old design the stock went down 20 bucks at launch and Steve Jobs passed away the day after. If it was up to him he would of made the iPhone more like the one in the photo I showed... and it would come in all colors like those of the iPod shuffles.

And if Apple is to launch an iPhone during Septemeber you'd be wrong, just like last years predictions... they had an event on October, and I think they will launch it on November just in time for the holiday season shopping.

That design is awful! I absolutely hate those mockups. Not all, just the ones that eschew any critical thinking or logic when designing something. It's great someone wants something to "look cool" but it also has to be practical and a solid metal back isn't even close without a lot of qualifiers.
Edited by SolipsismX - 8/22/12 at 9:04pm

post #25 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Wow. Just looked over your posts. No agenda there. :D

No rational person would consider a larger screen with much lower resolution and gaudy, over-saturated images superior.

No rational person would consider “customization” of paramount importance.

Assessing a category of products or services solely on the basis of two properties portends a deficit of thought applied to the assessment.  A rational person would consider the product and service holistically by reviewing importance factors such as:

• battery life 
  • content availability (apps, books, movies, music, podcasts, ringtones, television)
  • cost (TCO)
  • customer service (availability and quality of service)
  • customization (no definition has been provided)
  • display quality (brightness, color gamut, contrast, ppi, size, viewing angle, etc.)
  • ecosystem ("made for iPhone" products)
  • enterprise management
  • ergonomic design (size, weight)
  • lifecycle
  • integration of services
  • reliability
  • security
  • synchronization of services
  • user interface design (consistency, ease-of-use, intuitiveness, latency, etc.)
  • etc.
  • etc.
  • etc.

This suggests a reason that Android-based smartphone proponents seem incapable of properly delineating their reasoning process regarding choice of smartphone.

post #26 of 46
Originally Posted by Strat09 View Post
But I think most people are expecting something like this... since they aren't AI's.

I don't get what people's obsession is with the 3GS' design. It's not really that good anymore, considering. It wasn't very good at all when it was released on the 3G, even. The 1st-gen iPhone had the best design until the iPhone 4 came along.

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
That design is awful! I absolutely those mockups.

I absolutely those mockups, too.

😏

post #27 of 46
Quote:
I absolutely those mockups, too.😏

lol.gif

post #28 of 46

The US and Canada [and the Americas] are ONE DAY behind many countries around the world, including Australia. I am a bit confused by your saying "getting it first" and then "thanking the date line". 

Quote:

We should get them first, again.

Thanks to the International date line.

post #29 of 46
Quote:

Yes this one like it too, many, many good.
post #30 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

The US and Canada [and the Americas] are ONE DAY behind many countries around the world, including Australia. I am a bit confused by your saying "getting it first" and then "thanking the date line". 

That's why, I had had my 3G for about 14 hours when America was still lining up, the 4 launch was delayed here so missed out on having that first, the fifth iPhone model the 4S was launched here the same date, except you write it backwards.

Posted from Australia 2:55pm, 23/8/2012

post #31 of 46

Ahh..that...

Quote:

post #32 of 46
Quote:

That's why, I had had my 3G for about 14 hours when America was still lining up, the 4 launch was delayed here so missed out on having that first, the fifth iPhone model the 4S was launched here the same date, except you write it backwards.

I believe he is confused by the missing comma. He read your post as, "While you are sleeping in Australia, we will have them." When you meant, "While you are sleeping, in Australia we will have them." The lack of a comma made him think that Tallest Skil was in Australia.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

post #33 of 46
Quote:

My dumb TV (2003) has even a larger screen than your Samesung G2!
How cool is that?
Edited by Rabbit_Coach - 8/22/12 at 11:52pm
post #34 of 46

Sweet. In cell tech. Finally they caught up to what Samsung has been doing for about three years now lol.gif

post #35 of 46
Why do people want the new iPhone to look like the iPad or worse the magic mouse.
post #36 of 46
Is customizable screen just codeword for widgets? So we're all supposed to drool over Android because it has widgets?
post #37 of 46
Quote:

You're all ass about face. If it's released on the DAY of the 21st in the US then it's night time here in Australia. So we don't get it until the next morning (22nd).
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #38 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

Sweet. In cell tech. Finally they caught up to what Samsung has been doing for about three years now lol.gif

Which Samsung phones have in-cell LCD? Why is LCD significant over AMOLED? Simple, they are different technologies.

Here's a pic from Apple's patent on the tech. The whole thing is based on TFT-LCDs, not on a completely different display tech.

post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

You're all ass about face. If it's released on the DAY of the 21st in the US then it's night time here in Australia. So we don't get it until the next morning (22nd).

They start releasing the same day for all available markets. They don't start with the US and then start releasing to the other countries after that. We've seen plenty of unboxings that first started in Australia or New Zealand.

post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

That's as accurate as saying that Pacific Time is a day ahead of Central Time because you could argue that there is a time frame in which the days aren't the same.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › LG exec says mass production of in-cell displays has started ahead of rumored iPhone launch