VMware Fusion 5 and VMware Fusion 5 Professional are now available for download at a cost of $49.99 and $99.99, respectively
"While the number of users adopting Macs continue to rise, the business environment is still dominated by Windows," said Jason Joel, director, personal products, VMware. "VMware Fusion 5 and Fusion 5 Professional build upon our award-winning platform, adding new capabilities that are in demand among both individual and professional users. Leveraging our experience with consumer and enterprise end-users, we believe this new version of the product is the best solution on the market for users who want to run Windows on Mac simultaneously."
New features in VMware Fusion 5 include:
- Designed for Mountain Lion:
- Windows 8 Optimization: VMware Fusion 5 supports Windows 8 standard, pro and enterprise editions so consumers can optimize the new Windows 8 ?Metro? environment directly on a Mac.
Enhanced Mac Support: Support for the latest Mac technologies include compatibility with Mountain Lion, retina display optimization, USB 3 connectivity, and improved support for large memory Macs.
Additional Functionalities: New, powerful ways to experience Windows on a Mac are available through an updated virtual machine library that enables seamless transitions between multiple operating systems, one click snapshots with improved graphical appearance, a brand new graphics driver for Linux 3D desktops, and a new embedded learning center for immediate support.
In addition to VMware Fusion 5, the company also introduced a new "Professional" version that aims to improve the way businesses deliver applications to users on Macs and PCs. Features of VMware Fusion 5 Professional include:
- Open the Doors to Macs: Whether business applications run on Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 or one of more than 200 other operating systems, VMware Fusion 5 is designed to ensure maximum compatibility with the applications users need.
- Create Restricted Virtual Machines: Create an encrypted corporate image that meets the needs of employees and enables productivity from their first power-on. To avoid tampering of the corporate image, restrictions can prevent users from changing virtual machine settings or attaching USB devices to Windows.
- Easy Deployment Across Multiple Platforms: VMware Fusion 5 Professional includes a commercial license of VMware Player? 5 to deploy and run restricted virtual machines on Macs, Windows and Linux systems. So regardless of the underlying platform, VMware Fusion 5 Professional gives users the business applications they need.
- Reduce Support Costs: Reduce support costs by directing end-users to customized Web resources directly from VMware Fusion 5 Professional?s Help menu.
- Easy Management: VMware Fusion 5 Professional is a full perpetual license which activates both VMware Fusion 5 Professional and VMware Player 5.
Customers who have purchased Fusion 4 on or after July 25, 2012, are eligible for an electronic upgrade to Fusion 5 at no additional costs.
Fusion 3 and 4 customers, as well as Parallels Desktop customers, can also upgrade to VMware fusion Professional 5 for $49.99. The software is available in English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Simplified Chinese and Japanese.