or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.1 with iMessage, Migration Assistant fixes

Apple releases Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.1 with iMessage, Migration Assistant fixes

post #1 of 62
Apple on Thursday released OS X 10.8.1, the first security and maintenance update for its Mountain Lion operating system, featuring fixes for iMessage, Migration Assistant, and audio on Thunderbolt displays.

OS X 10.8.1 is now available for download through the Mac App Store. Users can also obtain a manual installer of the update direct from Apple.

Apple's release notes state that the update will improve the stability and compatibility of a user's Mac. The list of fixes provided by Apple are:
  • Resolve an issue that may cause Migration Assistant to unexpectedly quit
  • Improve compatibility when connecting to a Microsoft Exchange server in Mail
  • Address an issue playing audio through a Thunderbolt display
  • Resolve an issue that could prevent iMessages from being sent
  • Address an issue that could cause the system to become unresponsive when using Pinyin input
  • Resolve an issue when connecting to SMB servers with long names
  • Address a issue that may prevent Safari from launching when using a Proxy Automatic Configuration (PAC) file
  • Improve 802.1X authentication with Active Directory credentials.

Only two developer previews of OS X 10.8.1 were made available prior to Thursday's official launch of the software. Mountain Lion became available on the Mac App Store less than a month ago, on July 25.

Just this week, Apple began inviting developers to begin testing OS X 10.8.2, signaling that the release of OS X 10.8.1 was imminent. No details are yet available on what fixes OS X 10.8.2 may provide when it eventually debuts to the public.
post #2 of 62
It should be "two developer previews of OS X 10.8.1 we're made available...". Not 10.8.2.
post #3 of 62

No mention of addressing the speculative battery issues makes me wonder if that was an issue after all. (There may well have been people experiencing some issues but it may have been indirectly related.) Also, a notably short list of fixes. It sounds like they just about nailed it on the initial release.

post #4 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

Also, a notably short list of fixes. It sounds like they just about nailed it on the initial release.

Yeah for me the update weighed in at 7.28MB
post #5 of 62

Hope this increases the battery life, previous reads on the beta state that there was an increase in battery life.  On another note, also hoping for one of these updates to help fix the new Mac Book Pro Retina's webcam issues....but not holding my breath.

post #6 of 62
Quote:

No mention of addressing the speculative battery issues makes me wonder if that was an issue after all. (There may well have been people experiencing some issues but it may have been indirectly related.) Also, a notably short list of fixes. It sounds like they just about nailed it on the initial release.

Never had the battery issue myself, so I've always assumed it had something to do with third-party software. That said I did have issues with Reminders crashing consistently on street addresses with non-ASCII characters (silently fixed) and rendering on safari (unknown -- this takes a while to happen after Safari is restarted and I haven't figured out what causes it yet).
post #7 of 62

I have a feeling this update doesn't fix the updates people were expecting. I'd be curious to see if they fixed the WiFi issue many were having. This could be the reason why they're pushing out 10.8.2 so quickly. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5
120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5
120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #8 of 62
I hope this fixes the hot corners expose issue I have. Since upgrading the bottom left corner does not reveal the desktop like I've set it too. Seriously annoying to say the least!
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #9 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I have a feeling this update doesn't fix the updates people were expecting. I'd be curious to see if they fixed the WiFi issue many were having. This could be the reason why they're pushing out 10.8.2 so quickly. 

You mean the one where the computer has no network connection after waking from sleep, and then crashes when you try selecting a network? That's the fix I'm waiting for. I've never had to restart so many times as in the last two weeks.

post #10 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

What were they 'expecting'? What 'wifi issues'?

post #11 of 62

I've just update to 10.8.1. I'll post my findings here. 10.8.0 gave me a battery life around 4-5hrs. To be fair, that's same battery life I had with lion. I'm going to charge it fully and see if I find a significant difference.

post #12 of 62

Is Perian still broken in 10.8.1?

post #13 of 62
Development on the Perian project was discontinued about a year ago.

More info: http://perian.org/

I suggest downloading VLC instead.
post #14 of 62

My WiFi seems to have improved connectivity...but that may just be coincidence. This was a small update from the App store. It only registered 7.8 MB for me.

"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."
"Those who would give up essential liberties to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Ben Franklin
"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."
"Those who would give up essential liberties to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Ben Franklin
post #15 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post

Is Perian still broken in 10.8.1?

Didn't you get the memo. EOL.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #16 of 62

Smallest OS X update ever? I can't remember one weighing in at less than 7.5MB.

post #17 of 62
Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

Finally actual delta updates… Gigabyte+ 10.x.x updates were sort of insane.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #18 of 62

Looks like it does not fix the broken audio Aggregate Device behavior.  Pretty big shot in foot.  

post #19 of 62

This update is broken. I updated via the website, and it installed successfully, but when I go to the App Store software updater it still shows that 10.8.1 isn't installed yet. 

post #20 of 62

So, off the bat I can say that the update has solved my Thunderbolt audio issue. Audio now properly switches to the display without me having to do all sorts of funky deals to get it to work. With regards to battery, time will tell if it solves my battery issue. On Lion (I have an Early 2011 MBP 15"), I did about 5-6 hours of battery with sometimes being able to get 7 when not doing a whole lot. With 10.8.0, I was averaging about 1.5-3 max. Since installing the update, I have noticed that my battery now says that I have over 5 hours remaining again (haven't seen that in a while) so we'll see if I get that or if it is still around 3 max.

post #21 of 62
My wake on LAN access stopped working when I installed (upgrade) 10.8.

Still not working with 10.8.1.

There are several notable discussion threads referring to it. Mid-2011 iMac.
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
post #22 of 62

I still get this message every time iTunes opens... No one at Apple seems to know why.

post #23 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

I still get this message every time iTunes opens... No one at Apple seems to know why.

Talk to your Mom or Dad. But probably they have their reason.
post #24 of 62

For those wondering, yes the GM does update from the App Store.   :)

post #25 of 62
I love reading the "well they didn't fix the bug I just know everybody has because there are 6,346 views in the Apple forums. Come on Apple!" posts. Hilarious. Funnier still are "I can't find the update laments." Everybody's glitch is a well known, pandemic issue that Apple refuses to fix because their engineers are incompetent, right?
post #26 of 62
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post
For those wondering, yes the GM does update from the App Store.   :)

Was a retail paid version tied to the same account through whose App Store you opened?

post #27 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Was a retail paid version tied to the same account through whose App Store you opened?

No.  :)  I haven't purchased the retail version yet. Still running the GM. 

Edited by Quadra 610 - 8/23/12 at 1:26pm
post #28 of 62

I have had Mountain Lion crash my iMac consistently since installation. I even corrupted the disk when I had to power off and had to do a reinstall. Thought everything had been stable for a few days and then the SBBOD. I hope this patch release fixes things. I hate to say it because its a running joke on App Insider but Safari seems to be running a lot quicker :)

iMac 27" 2.93ghz i7 MacBook Air 13" iphone4 ipod classic AppleTV 

iMac 27" 2.93ghz i7 MacBook Air 13" iphone4 ipod classic AppleTV 

post #29 of 62

My wife‘s MacBook Pro appStore.app does not recognize that there is an update, so i am downloading the whole thing for her, i do not like the appStore.app it is Not fast and have no tabs.

post #30 of 62
Still no fix for broken Notes application (IMAP account)!
post #31 of 62
Quote:

You sure like to kiss Apple's butt, don't you?     You've got to me kidding me.     Battery life is most certainly an issue.  Enough so that Apple called me personally about it (really!).   And my Mac is still freezing up about every other day which it never did before installing Mountain Lion.

I was extremely disappointed in the QC by Apple in this OS release.    Made me lose a bit of faith and have concerns that Apple has become too big a company and isn't paying attention to the details.       If .1 doesn't resolve these issues, I'm really gonna be pissed.   The only thing I blame myself for is being stupid enough to upgrade on the .0 release.  I've never done that before.  

post #32 of 62
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post
Battery life is most certainly an issue.

For some. Not all.

I was extremely disappointed in the QC by Apple in this OS release.    Made me lose a bit of faith and have concerns that Apple has become too big a company and isn't paying attention to the details.

Sounds like the same thing said at every single release that is quietly shoved into the background a few weeks out. Kind of like now.

post #33 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What were they 'expecting'? What 'wifi issues'?

Computer partially freezes up but when it does so, WiFi doesn't work.  The icon at the top only has one randomly "lit" bar (that bar in black, the other bars in grey).    I usually don't even notice it's happened until Entourage goes out to get mail and I hear a whole bunch of error sounds.  Then I look up and see that there's no WiFi.

At this point, one app is usually not responding.  I force-quit that app, but then another app goes into "not responding" mode when it tries to quit.  And so on.   Finally, everything has closed and the machine can reboot.  On reboot everything is okay again for a day or two.    Then either while it's sleeping (or being awoken) or while I'm using it, it will freeze up again.  I initally thought iTunes was the culprit, so I keep that app out of memory unless I need to use it.    That has slowed down the number of freezes, but hasn't eliminated them.    I think any app that goes out to the web can cause the problem, even if all it's doing is checking for an update. 

Many other people are reporting this same problem.   I'm using a late 2008 MBP.

Had absolutely no problems under Snow Leopard. (I had never upgraded to Lion).   I'm having the battery life issue as well.  Even in sleep mode, battery dissipates in about an hour.   When Apple called me, battery went from 98% to 75% while we were on the phone  (but using the machine).  

post #34 of 62

Well i did the update and if nothing else it made the battery even worse off.  Not sure why.  Now battery at 100% shows a whopping 1:50 Hr:min.  A far cry from the original 8.5 hours.

I've already done all the other tips that ive read up on and thought this would be "the" fix.  I can only hope the next fix will do it.  

post #35 of 62
Quote:

For some. Not all.

Sounds like the same thing said at every single release that is quietly shoved into the background a few weeks out. Kind of like now.

Sounds like an Apple apologist.    Go to the Apple complaint boards.  There are thousands of complaints on these issues.    I've been using Macs since the very first one in 1984.    Aside from an OS upgrade some years ago where almost everything stopped working (that turned out to be a bad font, even though the OS had no problems with the font before the upgrade), I've never had to call Apple about anything before now -- every other OS upgrade has gone perfectly.    This is the first one for me that has caused big problems.    My opinion is that Apple's obsession with secrecy is causing them to miss things that would have been caught by external beta-testers.     Having Developers test isn't good enough because they're only testing to see if their own apps work, not if the machine works in general.   Or, because computers are becoming an ever smaller percentage of the overall business, Apple simply doesn't give a crap.

post #36 of 62
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post
Sounds like an Apple apologist.    Go to the Apple complaint boards.  There are thousands of complaints on these issues.

For. some. Not. all. I fail to see how that could be any clearer.

I've been using Macs since the very first one in 1984. …I've never had to call Apple about anything before now… This is the first one for me that has caused big problems.

It's obviously the end of the world, then.

My opinion is that Apple's obsession with secrecy is causing them to miss things that would have been caught by external beta-testers.

But this somehow hasn't been a problem for the past 28 years.

Apple simply doesn't give a crap.

*snap* That's gotta be it.

post #37 of 62
Quote:

For. some. Not. all. I fail to see how that could be any clearer.

It's obviously the end of the world, then.

But this somehow hasn't been a problem for the past 28 years.

*snap* That's gotta be it.

you are paid for being a moderator right?

i‘d not have the patience, even if paid.

I am having trouble to, as i pointed above. 

lol.gifIt's obviously the end of the world, then.

Funny but Ain‘t that trolling!, being sarcastic?

post #38 of 62
Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post
you are paid for being a moderator right?

i‘d not have the patience, even if paid.

Oh, no. And I sometimes lose it, but I usually respond at that point by poking fun more than anything else. 

post #39 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

Well not for me.......it was 4+GB.  I guess Apple insisted on the combo update for me. Took about 50mins and two restarts. However, all is well and much snappier:-)

post #40 of 62
Originally Posted by haddy View Post
Well not for me.......it was 4+GB.  I guess Apple insisted on the combo update for me. Took about 50mins and two restarts. However, all is well and much snappier:-)

There's no such thing as a combo update for the first update to an OS. Odd that it would be so large. Are you sure you HAD Mountain Lion before it? lol.gif

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.1 with iMessage, Migration Assistant fixes