or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung's new retail store in Australia has an Apple-like appearance
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung's new retail store in Australia has an Apple-like appearance

post #1 of 89
Thread Starter 
As Apple waits on a jury to decide whether Samsung copied its iPhone and iPad, Samsung has opened a new store in Sydney, Australia, that bears a striking resemblance to Apple's own retail operations.

The new "Samsung Experience Store" is located in Sydney's George Street, just a block from Apple's own retail location. Highlighted on Thursday by The Sydney Morning Herald, the retail location features a glass entrance, employees in blue shirts, and minimalist tables that showcase Samsung's smartphones, tablets and computers.

Though Samsung representatives insist that Apple had nothing to do with the location or the design of its new store. But as author Asher Moses noted, the location is "uncannily Apple-esque."

Tyler McGee, Samsung's vice president of telecommunications in Australia, said the location of Apple's Sydney store "didn't even come into the equation when we were looking for a location." When asked about similarities between the layouts of the Samsung and Apple stores, McGee said the storefront design is "the layout we use around the world, and it's about basically giving the consumers the opportunity to interact, learn and play with our devices."

Samsung came under fire last year for another retail location that featured Apple's App Store and Safari icons on a decorative app wall, but after the story gained traction it was revealed that the app wall inside the store was not commissioned by Samsung, which has a mini-shop inside of a larger Euronics store in Catania, Italy.



The grand opening of the new Samsung store in Sydney comes as a California jury is currently deliberating the patent infringement trial between Samsung and Apple. That legal battle began over a year ago, when Apple first sued Samsung and accused the company of copying the look and feel of the iPhone and iPad.
post #2 of 89

Is there anything Apple makes or does which Samesung does not copy?  A newsworthy item would be if Samesung made or did something which did not rip off Apple or someone else.  Wonder why the Samesung store does not sell TVs, Appliances, Vacuum cleaners, etc... Why only sell phones, computers, and tablets just like the Apple Store.  But of course Samesung is not copying.

post #3 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new "Samsung Experience Store" is located in Sydney's George Street, just a block from Apple's own retail location. Highlighted on Thursday by The Sydney Morning Herald, the retail location features a glass entrance, employees in blue shirts, and minimalist tables that showcase Samsung's smartphones, tablets and computers.

 

I've been to the Samsung Experience Store in London and the Sydney store looks very similar. The main focus of the store was television sets, not computing devices. TVs dominate the store in terms of both space and placement. 

 

But don't let that fact get in the way of a good Samsung-bashing story.

post #4 of 89

What is the problem here?

Was apple patented all store should belong to them ?

Microsoft store is OK. Sony store is OK. But, Samsung store is bad ?

 

And don't forget Apple store itself is copy of "Sony Style store"

post #5 of 89

Interviewer: "Can this be interpreted any other way than 'fast-following' Apple's store?"

Samsung Employee: "No, not at all."

 

I guess that's not what he meant to say, but it's still funny. The blue shirts are pretty shameless, as is the support desk with "Samsung Smart Tutors" (mentioned in the WSJ article: http://allthingsd.com/20120823/samsung-opens-new-apple-store-in-australia/)

post #6 of 89
post #7 of 89

http://media.smh.com.au/technology/tech-talk/samsung-store-is-open-for-business-3576330.html

 

Here is a link to the video. Pathetic losers have no shame.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #8 of 89

Not as a knock or to stereotype, but copying / borrowing ideas, products, etc is a common and accepted practice in the eyes of many Asians.  Of course the same thing could be said of Europeans, North Americans, and others.  If we look, whether it's obvious or not, we will see examples of copying in just about every market, every product.

 

Creating and executing on unique ideas, be they smart phones or store layouts, is not as easy as one would make it out to be.  Sure, Apple has created its share of unique and successful things, including their stores, but they clearly got inspiration from others too.  I'm not supporting Samsung here - I think they are quite blatantly copying a lot of things Apple does because why not use what has shown to be successful as the basis for what you do?

 

I'm not sure it harms Apple in any way, any more than Microsoft's stores harm Apple.

post #9 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

Is there anything Apple makes or does which Samesung does not copy?  A newsworthy item would be if Samesung made or did something which did not rip off Apple or someone else.  Wonder why the Samesung store does not sell TVs, Appliances, Vacuum cleaners, etc... Why only sell phones, computers, and tablets just like the Apple Store.  But of course Samesung is not copying.

apple stores are "inspired" by the snobby NYC stores like bergdorf goodman and the smaller botiques as well. and these are inspired by the snobby european stores like hermes

 

lots of empty space, lots of room between the demo products and the inventory is in the back

post #10 of 89

In 1999, Apple hired Allen Moyer, a former Sony executive who had been part of the company's retail development projects, including the Metreon complex in downtown San Francisco. There, Sony had opened its own Sony Style store where consumers could wander in and get their hands on Sony's gadgets. Being in the middle of a densely populated and tourist-filled city, the store had the potential for big foot traffic. More importantly, it could be an attraction.

 

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/05/19/scitech/main20064261.shtml

post #11 of 89

서울은 당신의 복사기를 시작

post #12 of 89

What's the big deal, isn't it all just rectangles!?

post #13 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

Interviewer: "Can this be interpreted any other way than 'fast-following' Apple's store?"
Samsung Employee: "No, not at all."

I guess that's not what he meant to say, but it's still funny. The blue shirts are pretty shameless, as is the support desk with "Samsung Smart Tutors" (mentioned in the WSJ article: http://allthingsd.com/20120823/samsung-opens-new-apple-store-in-australia/)

Shameless indeed.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #14 of 89

Samsung has had stores like this for some time now. Why is it a story?

iPad 3, Galaxy S4
Reply
iPad 3, Galaxy S4
Reply
post #15 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

What is the problem here?
Was apple patented all store should belong to them ?
Microsoft store is OK. Sony store is OK. But, Samsung store is bad ?

And don't forget Apple store itself is copy of "Sony Style store"

Please stop being so daft. Really.
post #16 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

What is the problem here?

Was apple patented all store should belong to them ?

Microsoft store is OK. Sony store is OK. But, Samsung store is bad ?

 

And don't forget Apple store itself is copy of "Sony Style store"

 

The Sony Style stores came out in 2003.  The first Apple Store opened in 2001.  So how exactly did Apple copy them?  The Sony Playstation Stores did come first however there is zero resemblance between what they look like and what the Apple stores look like.  try again.

post #17 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

 

 

A Store Is Born

Sept. 29, 2000

 

"Apple began revamping its retail strategy last year, hiring away people such as Allen Moyer of Sony Corp.’s U.S. unit, who helped oversee the design of retail centers such as the flashy Sony Metreon, a Sony-anchored mall in San Francisco"

 

http://classroom.wsj.com/cre/2012/02/24/a-store-is-born/

post #18 of 89

All Things D wins for best headline: Samsung Opens New Apple Store in Australia

post #19 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

 

 

 

 

http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/30/sonys-latest-retail-strategy-follow-apples-lead/

 

 

Sony style store -> Apple copied Sony style store, renamed as "apple store" -> Sony copied Apple store

 

 

I have been to the head Sony retain store in japan, you are full of it, it never looked like that 5 years ago.the idea of that type of retain store wasn't apples idea, the presentation is. That same Sony shop had a refitting about a year after the apple store opened up on the same street ;)

post #20 of 89
Everyone knows that this is the natural direction that the industry is going in, and all stores would soon look like that even if Apple hadn't done it first.
post #21 of 89

Can you tell me how much Samsung is paying you 845032 for all your comments against Apple?

post #22 of 89
No shame

The conditions are growing for a Samsung boycott. I personally have pursuaded several friends and family from purchasing a variety of Samsung products over the past year.

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Reply

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Reply
post #23 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by 845032 View Post


Various photos of stores

http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/30/sonys-latest-retail-strategy-follow-apples-lead/


Sony style store -> Apple copied Sony style store, renamed as "apple store" -> Sony copied Apple store

Unfortunately you neglected actually to read the article that you linked, which does not support your argument at all, or check what Sony's stores looked like pre-Apple store, which was nothing like that judging by the results of Google image search.
post #24 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

 

 

I have been to the head Sony retain store in japan, you are full of it, it never looked like that 5 years ago.the idea of that type of retain store wasn't apples idea, the presentation is. That same Sony shop had a refitting about a year after the apple store opened up on the same street ;)

and before sony there was was sharper image and brookstone

post #25 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

In 1999, Apple hired Allen Moyer, a former Sony executive who had been part of the company's retail development projects, including the Metreon complex in downtown San Francisco. There, Sony had opened its own Sony Style store where consumers could wander in and get their hands on Sony's gadgets. Being in the middle of a densely populated and tourist-filled city, the store had the potential for big foot traffic. More importantly, it could be an attraction.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/05/19/scitech/main20064261.shtml

And Andy Rubin used to work at Apple before he started the Android project that was later picked up by Google.

Go figure.
post #26 of 89
Originally it was "Apple is stupid for opening a store when Dell, Sony and Gateway can't even money at it" and "Apple Stores are style over substance." Will we now see those same people claim that this is the only way to design a consumer electronics store?

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #27 of 89

Yes, the stores are similar, but when you consider marketing and general graphic design trends, it's not surprising that a particular trend dominates.

 

As for this particular Samsung store, well there are material differences between it and an Apple store: for a start there's a lot more focussed lighting, where Apple store lighting tends to be very discreet. Also the display units are white melamine or plastic versus Apple's beechwood and they're presented at differing heights versus Apple's uniform heights (children's area excepted). As for the practical demands of a store where people come in and browse the technology on offer, the two companies' products require similar types of browsing from potential customers, therefore the layout of the store will naturally follow the same basic design. If you go into a John Lewis store in the UK you will see arrangements of display units in very similar grid-like patterns, and you would have done in the 1970s before Apple had every been heard of (yes, I'm that old to remember what such a store was like in those days!). Regarding the location of the store - so what if there's an Apple store a block or so away? The two companies are attempting to market to the same people therefore they're going to put their stores in neighbourhoods where those people tend to go. It's like building a garden centre: you wouldn't put it in the middle of the financial district of the City just because other garden centres set up shop in the suburbs!

 

Yes the stores look similar but that's not copyrightable nor is it trade dress. The stores are NOT the same though and anyone who was looking for Apple's signature style of store would be unlikely to mix the two up. They're close, out of a basic necessity of design and customer flow, but they're not that close.

 

Note: I have absolutely no time for Samsung's copying of Apple's products - I think they're gross plagiarists in that area - but I believe in being objective about things rather than play to the tribal audience. I am a fan of Apple's products (own thousands and thousands of £s worth of them) however I say as I see, and I don't see a big problem here.

post #28 of 89

So 845032, do you give Apple credit for anything?  Or are they just copying someone else on everything they do?

 

And what reason do you have for defending Samsung - or are you just purposely doing what you're doing on an Apple-based and Apple biased website?

 

Nevermind.  I'm simply feeding the troll and I know that does no one any good.  Maybe I'll go over to www.samsunginsider.com, or is it www.sammyinsider.com or maybe I should jump over to www.samrumors.com or www.sammyrumors.com or www.samsungrumors.com for inside scoop on what new, great, game-changing products Samsung has ready for us.

post #29 of 89
lots of empty space, lots of room between the demo products and the inventory is in the back
[/quote]

Stop the presses! Samsung copied every American shoe store from the 1960s!
Florscheim should sue!

Calling the people at the stores geniuses is moronic. They are not even helpful.
post #30 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

Yes, the stores are similar, but when you consider marketing and general graphic design trends, it's not surprising that a particular trend dominates.

As for this particular Samsung store, well there are material differences between it and an Apple store: for a start there's a lot more focussed lighting, where Apple store lighting tends to be very discreet. Also the display units are white melamine or plastic versus Apple's beechwood and they're presented at differing heights versus Apple's uniform heights (children's area excepted). As for the practical demands of a store where people come in and browse the technology on offer, the two companies' products require similar types of browsing from potential customers, therefore the layout of the store will naturally follow the same basic design. If you go into a John Lewis store in the UK you will see arrangements of display units in very similar grid-like patterns, and you would have done in the 1970s before Apple had every been heard of (yes, I'm that old to remember what such a store was like in those days!). Regarding the location of the store - so what if there's an Apple store a block or so away? The two companies are attempting to market to the same people therefore they're going to put their stores in neighbourhoods where those people tend to go. It's like building a garden centre: you wouldn't put it in the middle of the financial district of the City just because other garden centres set up shop in the suburbs!

Yes the stores look similar but that's not copyrightable nor is it trade dress. The stores are NOT the same though and anyone who was looking for Apple's signature style of store would be unlikely to mix the two up. They're close, out of a basic necessity of design and customer flow, but they're not that close.

Note: I have absolutely no time for Samsung's copying of Apple's products - I think they're gross plagiarists in that area - but I believe in being objective about things rather than play to the tribal audience. I am a fan of Apple's products (own thousands and thousands of £s worth of them) however I say as I see, and I don't see a big problem here.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that they violated any IP by doing this. It's just rather amusing.
post #31 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

A Store Is Born



Sept. 29, 2000

"Apple began revamping its retail strategy last year, hiring away people such as Allen Moyer of Sony Corp.’s U.S. unit, who helped oversee the design of retail centers such as the flashy Sony Metreon, a Sony-anchored mall in San Francisco"

http://classroom.wsj.com/cre/2012/02/24/a-store-is-born/

I daresay by far the majority of Apple employees previously worked for some company or another before Apple.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #32 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Everyone knows that this is the natural direction that the industry is going in, and all stores would soon look like that even if Apple hadn't done it first.

 

Same idea as arguments made by Samsung about "rectangles" in court. If its so obvious why were things so ugly previously

post #33 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

I daresay by far the majority of Apple employees previously worked for some company or another before Apple.

Then that means everything they've ever done before Apple belongs to the companies that came before¡ You worked at Lou's Car Wash for a Summer when you were 15yo... if you write the next great novel then all the credit for that book should go to Lou's Car Wash¡

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #34 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post


And Andy Rubin used to work at Apple before he started the Android project that was later picked up by Google.
Go figure.

 

Whoops! (^_-)

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #35 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Then that means everything they've ever done before Apple belongs to the companies that came before¡ You worked at Lou's Car Wash for a Summer when you were 15yo... if you write the next great novel then all the credit for that book should go to Lou's Car Wash¡

 

That's right! The credit for everything that Apple made should belong to Atari.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #36 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

 

That's right! The credit for everything that Apple made should belong to Atari.

 

A lot of people say "Thank you Jesus" all makes sense now.

post #37 of 89

A person has to be real cheap and quite ignorant to walk into an Apple copycat store featuring copycat Apple employees, and then proceed to purchase a substandard copycat phone or a third rate tablet ripoff.

 

Is there any wonder that some people might get confused? Samsung is clearly trying to exploit the dumb and the ignorant consumer. Samsung's own lawyer couldn't even identify a Samsung knockoff tablet from an original iPad. 

 

It's like I've always said, Fandroids are cheap people who have no style, they possess piss poor aesthetics, they have lousy morals and they're technologically challenged people, opting for a third rate experience on crappy devices which seek to mimic the original, but fail.

post #38 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post


I don't think anyone is suggesting that they violated any IP by doing this. It's just rather amusing.

 

I guess the question then arises: Why is it even a story then?

 

I know, it's because everyone's now interested in seeing if Samsung are doing something else naughty, but it's a bit tenuous when it's just the opening of a shop that has a glass front and some tables in it. Most shops have those!

post #39 of 89

Its funny how you can read everywhere how "Apple Fanbois" will flame you to shreds if you say something bad about Apple but this Apple based forum has alway got the same google fandroids posting here to defend google, android and samsungs honour and try to start arguments. Must be very lonely people.

post #40 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I don't think anyone is suggesting that they violated any IP by doing this. It's just rather amusing.

I guess the question then arises: Why is it even a story then?

I know, it's because everyone's now interested in seeing if Samsung are doing something else naughty, but it's a bit tenuous when it's just the opening of a shop that has a glass front and some tables in it. Most shops have those!

It's another element in a pattern - not particularly significant on its own, but in the context of all the copying accusations, definitely topical.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung's new retail store in Australia has an Apple-like appearance