or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Alleged Apple 'iPad mini' cases show rear camera, mystery hole
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Alleged Apple 'iPad mini' cases show rear camera, mystery hole

post #1 of 48
Thread Starter 
A handful of third-party cases from overseas allegedly designed to fit Apple's rumored "iPad mini" feature space on the back for a rear-facing camera, as well as a mysterious tiny hole at the center.

The protective cases were discovered and highlighted on Friday by Giz-China.com, and show space for a camera at the top left of the device. That suggests that like all other portable iOS devices, including the iPhone and iPod touch, the smaller iPad will feature a rear-facing camera.

Also shown on the cases is a small, centered hole atop the back. That's consistent with leaked parts claimed to be from Apple's next iPhone which also show a new mystery hole on the back of the device, located between the camera lens and LED flash.

It has been speculated that the space on the new iPhone could be for a new rear-facing microphone that would improve audio quality when shooting video. It's possible that the empty space on the third-party cases purportedly for Apple's smaller iPad could also be accommodating for a new rear-facing microphone.

Another case available for sale includes a rendering of Apple's rumored smaller iPad featuring both the smaller dock connector as well as a forward-facing FaceTime camera.

iPad mini 1


Last month, alleged engineering samples of Apple's smaller 7.85-inch iPad appeared online and showed off the use of a smaller dock connector, but gave no indication of a rear-facing camera or microphone. The rumored device was shown to be noticeably thinner than Apple's current third-generation iPad with Retina display.

iPad mini 2


However, one alleged rear casing for Apple's "iPad mini" which surfaced earlier this month did not show a rear-facing camera or the mystery space found in the new third-party cases. But that alleged part also lacked the legally required technical info and disclaimer text usually found on the back of Apple's devices, casting some doubt on the part's authenticity.

iPad mini 3


Rumors have pegged Apple's smaller iPad to launch in October ahead of the holiday shopping season. It's been suggested that Apple may hold a separate media event from its anticipated Sept. 12 unveiling of a new iPhone to launch a smaller iPad model.
post #2 of 48

Not sure if this is real or if this is 2011's Tear drop iPhone 5 all over again.

post #3 of 48

Enough already. It seems most of your posts recently are about the speculation and often likely legally questionable revelations about the new iPhone or iPad.

 

I fully support journalists who cross the legal line to reveal unethical and legitimately questionable or illegal behavior, but to spread rumors or facts about a product that is supposed to be confidential serves no good purpose. To devote so much time and bits to it is a waste of time; mine and yours. Speculate and express desires if you want but please stop sharing the latest visual rumors, no matter how maybe valid you think they might be. You are collaborating with, encouraging, and/or supporting questionable activities. You are trying to peek before Christmas, and speculating whether Santa left some decoys.

 

We will all see them when the Apple Santa wants us to see them.

post #4 of 48
Very clearly looks like a hole for a noise-canceling/video recording mic to me.
post #5 of 48

What about an IR Transmitter?  If this truly is the remote for the new Apple TV, they could be including an IR transmitter for backwards compatability with various players/tuner boxes.

post #6 of 48

I have always been wary of a mystery hole.

post #7 of 48

 

 

Quote:

Enough already. It seems most of your posts recently are about the speculation and often likely legally questionable revelations about the new iPhone or iPad.

 

I fully support journalists who cross the legal line to reveal unethical and legitimately questionable or illegal behavior, but to spread rumors or facts about a product that is supposed to be confidential serves no good purpose. To devote so much time and bits to it is a waste of time; mine and yours. Speculate and express desires if you want but please stop sharing the latest visual rumors, no matter how maybe valid you think they might be. You are collaborating with, encouraging, and/or supporting questionable activities. You are trying to peek before Christmas, and speculating whether Santa left some decoys.

 

We will all see them when the Apple Santa wants us to see them.

 

And yet, you read the article.   And felt a need to comment on it.   Why didn't you stuff your fingers into your ears and start shouting - "NaNaNaNaNa - I can't hear you."?

 

Get a grip.  Rumors about potential products is half the fun of web sites like these.   I got a chuckle out of the special screw that was rumored a week or two ago.  Good fun.   And the panic from rumor mongers who panicked because they fell for the story.   Again, fun for all.

post #8 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_tuff View Post

What about an IR Transmitter?  If this truly is the remote for the new Apple TV, they could be including an IR transmitter for backwards compatability with various players/tuner boxes.

I think that would have been to include on an iPhone/Touch years ago but at this point I'd think BT 4.0 now has options that make it better all around going into the next 5 years. Plus, I don't think the size of this rumoured device is great for a remote control. It's considerably bigger and wider than the Kindle at 7.85" 4:3 and yet the Kindle is far too big as a remote.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #9 of 48
I know it's stupid, but what about a lanyard slot? A mic slot sounds the most plausible, the problem being there are two slots near each other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

And yet, you read the article.   And felt a need to comment on it..

You commented on his comment. How far down this pointless rabbit hole do you really want to go? If you're going to call his comment without value, maybe you should be honest and admit your own comment was without value as well. This whole site and being here is about pointlessness.
post #10 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I have always been wary of a mystery hole.

 

Add glory holes to that list...

Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
post #11 of 48

It's the MIC hole.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #12 of 48

is it me or the first 2 pics show a case with a 16:9 ratio?   That puzzle me because I expect Apple to make an ipad mini with 1024x768 (4:3) resolution (ipad1, ipad2)  Or Apple could make a 5" ipod touch with iphone 5 resolution.  But a 7" tablet with iphone 5 resolution would look horrible.  I dont think Apple will support more than 2 resolution on new products.

 

Product collections I would like Apple to release:

 

Watch style ipod nano.

4" iphone / ipod with 16:9 resolution.

5" ipod touch with same resolution of iphone

8" ipad mini with same resolution of ipad1,2

10" ipad with retina display

15" ipad XL with same resolution of retina display ipad.

 

in the future:  4.5" iphone with 720p resolution (1280x720)

 

On the TV side I would like to see:

 

Classic 99$ Apple TV with :  App store. ATSC tuner, DvR support on optional external USB drive or on a NetDrive. Support for itunes serveur on a net drive. A good device for people who wants to cut cable.

 

IPTV set-top box with :  Classic 99$ Apple TV functions + Full integration of live IPTV feeds with itunes on demand content. The distributor would get a cut on all on demand rentals, sales, apps. Apple bring its ecosystem and the distributor brings the live IPTV feeds and ensure reliable live feeds and on demand content that doesnt use any internet bandwigh on youre internet plan.

 

Full Apple TV set. For clients that want everything in the set without any external device.  So ITPV set-top box functions + Bose integrated speakers for high quality "fake" surround sound. A deluxe product, expect high price.

post #13 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

They copied Samsung's strategy. just saying

 

Not to mention RIM, Motorola, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Dell, Toshiba, HTC, Asus, Lenovo, Archos, Google…>whew!< Bad Apple. Bad, bad, bad.

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

Reply

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

Reply
post #14 of 48

The new hole is for the iPad new Laser, working with the new iPad ChemCam.

Check out Curiosity.
 

post #15 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

is it me or the first 2 pics show a case with a 16:9 ratio?   That puzzle me because I expect Apple to make an ipad mini with 1024x768 (4:3) resolution (ipad1, ipad2).

 

The screen is 4:3, but because the bezels are not the same on the sides and are far thinner the device itself will look more like 16:9 than 4:3.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #16 of 48

Obviously a mic hole. 

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply
post #17 of 48
Well, how else would you securely mount the digital SLR lenses on?

Whoops!

Did I just turn the 'Apple iPad Mini' rumours into 'Apple Digital iSLR' rumours?

My bad.
Pot is legal in North Korea.
That explains a considerable amount.

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."
Reply
Pot is legal in North Korea.
That explains a considerable amount.

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."
Reply
post #18 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

is it me or the first 2 pics show a case with a 16:9 ratio?   That puzzle me because I expect Apple to make an ipad mini with 1024x768 (4:3) resolution (ipad1, ipad2)  Or Apple could make a 5" ipod touch with iphone 5 resolution.  But a 7" tablet with iphone 5 resolution would look horrible.  I dont think Apple will support more than 2 resolution on new products.

 

Product collections I would like Apple to release:

 

Watch style ipod nano.

4" iphone / ipod with 16:9 resolution.

5" ipod touch with same resolution of iphone

8" ipad mini with same resolution of ipad1,2

10" ipad with retina display

15 12" ipad XL with same resolution of retina display ipad.

I'd be cool with that.  :-)

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #19 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A handful of third-party cases from overseas allegedly designed to fit Apple's rumored "iPad mini" feature space on the back for a rear-facing camera, as well as a mysterious tiny hole at the center (sic) ...

 

This is a bit thin isn't it?  

 

Only the second case (the rubber ones) are even based on a model of the iPad that fits the latest parts leaks which everyone seems to agree are the real deal.  The first and the third clearly show the audio jack at the top.  

 

The entire premise of the article is the "mystery hole," even though it's obviously for a microphone, and the fact that the holes on number one and two don't even match what we've come to expect from the hardware isn't even mentioned? (on purpose? or through incompetence?).  The only thing that's even "evidence" of anything new here is the rubber one and it looks both cheap and fake to me.  

 

Edit: The rubber one seems to have an audio jack at the top also, so they are all fake, or the parts leaks are fake.  The parts leaks are far more convincing IMO.  


Edited by Gazoobee - 8/24/12 at 8:55am
post #20 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

 

Top Apple Executive Saw Market for 7-Inch Tablet in 2011, Said Company Should Do One

“I believe there will be a 7-inch market and we should do one,” Cue wrote in the email, which forwarded an article written by a reporter that switched from the iPad to a 7-inch Samsung tablet.

http://allthingsd.com/20120803/apples-eddy-cue-saw-market-for-7-inch-tablet-in-2011-said-should-do-one/

 

They copied Samsung's strategy. just saying

 

I think they've knew there was a market for it, but at the same time thought the 10" was "the best" size.

 

The rumoured size of the mini tablet is 7.85" not 7", just saying. It could make a functional difference.

post #21 of 48

I'm simply amazed that the case makers have information about the size and shape of unreleased products.  What real advantage do it give them? Is the case market so cut-throat that you have to have a product before the main unit is announced or released.

 

The cost of building molds must be significant so I'm surprised it is worth the effort.  Maybe its just a way to get some cheap advertising.

post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I have always been wary of a mystery hole.

Urethra. This will be the world's first liquor-powered tablet.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #23 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

I think they've knew there was a market for it, but at the same time thought the 10" was "the best" size.

The rumoured size of the mini tablet is 7.85" not 7", just saying. It could make a functional difference.

I really don't like how they rule out or so ridicule a feature, it looks silly later when they do change their mind.
post #24 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


I really don't like how they rule out or so ridicule a feature, it looks silly later when they do change their mind.

 

All Apple did was to attack the competitors, companies make claims even they themselves don't believe in all the time in order to win market share. The emails proved people in Apple were not against a smaller device, they just couldn't make it work at that time.  

post #25 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrook View Post

Enough already. It seems most of your posts recently are about the speculation and often likely legally questionable revelations about the new iPhone or iPad.

 

I fully support journalists who cross the legal line to reveal unethical and legitimately questionable or illegal behavior, but to spread rumors or facts about a product that is supposed to be confidential serves no good purpose. To devote so much time and bits to it is a waste of time; mine and yours. Speculate and express desires if you want but please stop sharing the latest visual rumors, no matter how maybe valid you think they might be. You are collaborating with, encouraging, and/or supporting questionable activities. You are trying to peek before Christmas, and speculating whether Santa left some decoys.

 

We will all see them when the Apple Santa wants us to see them.


Legally questionable?

 

journalists who cross the legal line to reveal unethical ...?

 

Relax. People are just having fun speculating. No one is getting hurt. It's not like ... shooting missiles from drones at another nation, for example.

post #26 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


I really don't like how they rule out or so ridicule a feature, it looks silly later when they do change their mind.


But that's Apple's history, isn't it? And I'm not just talking about Jobs.

post #27 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

 

Top Apple Executive Saw Market for 7-Inch Tablet in 2011, Said Company Should Do One

“I believe there will be a 7-inch market and we should do one,” Cue wrote in the email, which forwarded an article written by a reporter that switched from the iPad to a 7-inch Samsung tablet.

http://allthingsd.com/20120803/apples-eddy-cue-saw-market-for-7-inch-tablet-in-2011-said-should-do-one/

 

They copied Samsung's strategy. just saying

 

Choosing a device size is not a *strategy*. Just sayin' ...

post #28 of 48

I believe this is the new Apple proprietary hole, or "A-hole" for short.

post #29 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

All Apple did was to attack the competitors, companies make claims even they themselves don't believe in all the time in order to win market share. The emails proved people in Apple were not against a smaller device, they just couldn't make it work at that time.  

I don't think it was about not being able to make it work, but choosing another focus. I don't think poisoning the other options is a solution to the problem though. Apple tends to be measured in scaling up its product variety, focusing on just one size at first had other benefits too, some of which help keep support manageable for app developers.
Edited by JeffDM - 8/24/12 at 8:54am
post #30 of 48
Likely an IR Blaster... :-/
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #31 of 48
Originally Posted by dan brook View Post
…to spread rumors or facts about a product that is supposed to be confidential serves no good purpose.

 

This is a rumor website. You have no idea why we exist.


Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post
I really don't like how they rule out or so ridicule a feature, it looks silly later when they do change their mind.

 

If.

 

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post
The emails proved people in Apple were not against a smaller device, they just couldn't make it work at that time.  

 

The e-mail proves that one person at Apple was not against the smaller device and that he said (no proof) Steve Jobs agreed.

post #32 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If.

Right, in this case, if, but they've changed their minds before, where they went from something that sounded almost as emphatic as "never" then doing it a year or two later just doesn't strike me as a good way to go.
post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I have always been wary of a mystery hole.

lol..... lanyard?

post #34 of 48
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post
…they've changed their minds before, where they went from something that sounded almost as emphatic as "never" then doing it a year or two later just doesn't strike me as a good way to go.

 

Agreed completely.

post #35 of 48

At last, the first phone designed with the sexting crowd in mind.
 

post #36 of 48
Originally Posted by dcflack View Post
At last, the first phone designed with the sexting crowd in mind.

 

Does someone else want to make the joke about how a 7" device being called a "phone" is "compensation" or have I?

post #37 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


Right, in this case, if, but they've changed their minds before, where they went from something that sounded almost as emphatic as "never" then doing it a year or two later just doesn't strike me as a good way to go.

 

They sure like to be assertive at times. At the same time, it's also about how they present a new device/feature that they previously almost said never to. If they say "it's new, the greatest, we invented it" it'll come off poorly, but if they somehow manage to say "you know, there are times when we look back and we see we were wrong, there is something about a tablet this size that people want and we listened", it'll come off much better

post #38 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


I really don't like how they rule out or so ridicule a feature, it looks silly later when they do change their mind.

 

I think people really make far far too much of that "sandpaper your fingers" quote from Steve Jobs.  It's crystal clear if you listen to it in context, that the whole thing was an argument about sales, and not about product feasibility at all.  

 

I don't have it handy to check, but the way I remember it, he was talking about how the other manufacturers were coming out with 7" tablets and that the reason for it was pricing and product availability as opposed to a design choice.  

 

Yes, the part about the sandpaper does suggest he was dissing the whole category as unworkable, but that wasn't the chief point he was making.  It was more about how the other manufacturers were making 7" screens because that's all that was left in the supply chain and to not let them fool you into thinking that they were making 7" devices because they were inherently better at that size.    

post #39 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think people really make far far too much of that "sandpaper your fingers" quote from Steve Jobs.  It's crystal clear if you listen to it in context, that the whole thing was an argument about sales, and not about product feasibility at all.  

I don't have it handy to check, but the way I remember it, he was talking about how the other manufacturers were coming out with 7" tablets and that the reason for it was pricing and product availability as opposed to a design choice.  

Yes, the part about the sandpaper does suggest he was dissing the whole category as unworkable, but that wasn't the chief point he was making.  It was more about how the other manufacturers were making 7" screens because that's all that was left in the supply chain and to not let them fool you into thinking that they were making 7" devices because they were inherently better at that size.    

I had completely forgotten about that line, that's not what I had in mind, but I think that's an example of something they didn't need to say in order to make the point you say he was making.
post #40 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


I had completely forgotten about that line, that's not what I had in mind, but I think that's an example of something they didn't need to say in order to make the point you say he was making.

 

The sandpaper line was so stupid and so roundly rebuked (within minutes of him saying it), that I think it was just a mistake on Jobs' part.  He was talking about something else entirely, then to emphasise, he says that, which is really (IMO and also of many others), ridiculous and nonsensical.  

 

Needless to say the sandpaper part lives on but no one remembers the other part about the sales channels and the scarcity of the 10" screens.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Alleged Apple 'iPad mini' cases show rear camera, mystery hole