or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Alleged Apple 'iPad mini' cases show rear camera, mystery hole

Alleged Apple 'iPad mini' cases show rear camera, mystery hole - Page 2

post #41 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think people really make far far too much of that "sandpaper your fingers" quote from Steve Jobs.  It's crystal clear if you listen to it in context, that the whole thing was an argument about sales, and not about product feasibility at all.  

I don't have it handy to check, but the way I remember it, he was talking about how the other manufacturers were coming out with 7" tablets and that the reason for it was pricing and product availability as opposed to a design choice.  

Yes, the part about the sandpaper does suggest he was dissing the whole category as unworkable, but that wasn't the chief point he was making.  It was more about how the other manufacturers were making 7" screens because that's all that was left in the supply chain and to not let them fool you into thinking that they were making 7" devices because they were inherently better at that size.    

I too, think people make too much of what SJ said. He was selling a new device and Apple didn't have a 7+ inch device at the time. It would be out of character for Steve to enter into discussion about the pros and cons of a device Apple didn't make. Specially the pros. Nobody cares, really. At the time Apple opened up a market on the back of which another market has grown. Now Apple (we believe) will enter than new market.

And my wallet is open - I have already officially given one away as a delayed birthday present!

post #42 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A handful of third-party cases from overseas allegedly designed to fit Apple's rumored "iPad mini" feature space on the back for a rear-facing camera, as well as a mysterious tiny hole at the center.

Build-to-order Pez dispenser?

Pez bricks are 15mm x 8mm x 5mm.  Right now.  But maybe Apple is secretly working on a new mini-Pez?  Pez Air?

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #43 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I had completely forgotten about that line, that's not what I had in mind, but I think that's an example of something they didn't need to say in order to make the point you say he was making.

In 'their' defence I suggest that the sandpaper comment was not planned and was just a 'hothead' spouting off. 

post #44 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think people really make far far too much of that "sandpaper your fingers" quote from Steve Jobs.  It's crystal clear if you listen to it in context, that the whole thing was an argument about sales, and not about product feasibility at all.  

I don't have it handy to check, but the way I remember it, he was talking about how the other manufacturers were coming out with 7" tablets and that the reason for it was pricing and product availability as opposed to a design choice.  

Yes, the part about the sandpaper does suggest he was dissing the whole category as unworkable, but that wasn't the chief point he was making.  It was more about how the other manufacturers were making 7" screens because that's all that was left in the supply chain and to not let them fool you into thinking that they were making 7" devices because they were inherently better at that size.    

I agree with that. He also very clearly — and probably very carefully — stated that the current lot of 7" tablets were going to be DOA. He was right. He never once made a single statement that said that a 7" tablet could ever be a feasible product, only that the current lot would fail.

We also have to consider that the original iPad project became the iPhone project with is a 3.5" 3:2 display which is almost exactly 1/8th the display area of the 9.7" 4:3 iPad. So why don't you need sandpaper for it? Simple, the idealized the UI for the display size. Apple will surely do the same for any different size iOS-based device. That is not say that iPad apps design for the 9.7" display will be unusable on a 7.85" device but Apple's apps will be idealized and they will update their SDK accordingly. It certainly won't even be close to how iPhone apps looked on the iPad.

So what do we have to except from this iPad "mini" rumour? They use the 163 PPI displays they have over 5 years of production-level experience with and ave long sense paid all foundry and R&D fees for the basis of this new tablet. That has to be a huge cost savings over what anyone else can offer. Now, that 163 PPI display has so far been TN but I'm told that you can replace that with IPS with ease. This seems to be truthful in that the iPod Touch is the same PPI as the iPhone 4/4S but uses TN and not IPS.

One-quater the pixels to push means no super powered GPU to reduce battery life but still sufficient for gaming. I could see them using the 32nm lithography over the older and cheaper chips in this model, but mainly because they can save cost elsewhere from the power savings and increase the usability of the device by making it lighter. I think the weight is a primary concern for this type of device the way a Kindle that weighed as much as an iPad simply isn't feasible.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #45 of 48

Probably a Flash.... Apple has been working on some camera related things. Would be a great way to differentiate the product lines. A 7" iPad without a camera for $199 at the low end would be great for schools, teachers hate to be caught napping on the job...

post #46 of 48

It could just be a small hole for a wrist strap (like cameras have). Asians love taking pictures, and this would be a good size for that 

post #47 of 48

This looks like a stylus hole.

post #48 of 48

Kensington Security Slot lol.gif

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Alleged Apple 'iPad mini' cases show rear camera, mystery hole