or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung guilty of patent infringement, Apple awarded nearly $1.05B [u]

Samsung guilty of patent infringement, Apple awarded nearly $1.05B [u] - Page 4

post #121 of 409

Yeah what happened to Google helping Samsung?  The kinda petered out eh?  Google let them crash and burn. 

iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
post #122 of 409

And BOOM Goes The Dynamite!!!!

Rest in Peace Mr Jobs, congratulations. Huzzahh!! :) 

post #123 of 409

This suit was completely frivolous and without merit. You can't patent a rectangle. Apple, with their huge war chest, must have paid off the jury for this verdict to happen. Samsung will appeal and win.

Signed, DaHarder 

;-)

/Sarcasm

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #124 of 409

Apple just got a $1 Billion discount on parts...nothing more.

So how much of it do the lawyers get?

post #125 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Roughly $2.3 B was the number reported.

i thouht so.. but Appleinsider post here still says "$1.05B"

post #126 of 409

HAHAHHAHA.

The android troll army will be out in force this weekend doing damage control.

post #127 of 409
Quote:

That's not true. Samsung won almost all the design patent issues related to tablets. That's an important win for them. They also won the arguments on whether they abused FRAND / SEP
Not important enough to make up for the massive losses, but it's incorrect to say that they didn't score a single point.

Apple didn't win everything they claimed but that is not a win point for Samsung. They just didn't lose on those points. In the claims that Samsung was making against Apple they did not win a single one so my statement stands as is.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #128 of 409
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
why did the headline change to say 1 billion in damages?  from what I saw, it was much higher... 1 count alone was 1.5, and many other million ones... it should be over 2 billion.
Roughly $2.3 B was the number reported.

I saw that and was about to fix it, but the article still says "Developing". Don't worry, if they don't change it by the time it's fully written, I will. You're both correct that it's wrong.

Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
HAHAHHAHA.

The android troll army will be out in force this weekend doing damage control.

Don't remind me… lol.gif

Not that our rules let me do anything about it…

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #129 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

why did the headline change to say 1 billion in damages?  from what I saw, it was much higher... 1 count alone was 1.5, and many other million ones... it should be over 2 billion.

The Verge initially reported $1.5 BN but neglected to note that was for a single award.

My earlier post:

Total Damages to be paid by Samsung = $2,490,185,000 USD

Total Damages to be paid by Apple = $0 USD

post #130 of 409
Very happy that justice has been served. Well done Apple!

Up yours samscum!
post #131 of 409
not sure where the $2.3 billion is coming from? $1.051 billion was the total awarded; this was announced first and then broken down by device. Perhaps someone took the total, then added on the breakdown with dodgy arithmetic?
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #132 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

Judge Koh just asked the jury "How in the world did you deliberate this case in 2 1/2 days? Are you smoking crack?"

People act as if it should take a long time to decide this matter. The Jury has been living the case for weeks now. They had a questionnaire in which everything was laid our them. Moreover, it is obvious Samsung ripped Apple off. Further, Samsung is still ripping Apple off. Just look at the new Samsung stores. It can't pick a shirt other then blue for their employees? 

post #133 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Apple didn't win everything they claimed but that is not a win point for Samsung. They just didn't lose on those points. In the claims that Samsung was making against Apple they did not win a single one so my statement stands as is.

What you SAID was "Sammy has literally not scored a single point."

That is, as I pointed out, incorrect. Your attempts to change the meaning of your statement notwithstanding, of course.

Oh, yeah. You're going to blame it on language problems. I forgot. /s
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #134 of 409

The thermonuclear war against Android has just begun.

post #135 of 409

So is that $1 billion total or $333 million x 3 for wilful infringement? Remember, wilfully infringing means the damages are tripled. So is Samsung paying $1 billion or will it be changed to $3 billion to reflect the wilful part?

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #136 of 409
Quote:

Interesting. 'No' to the D889 patent on the tablets. That looked to me like one of the ones that was most obvious.

What was it ?

post #137 of 409
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post
not sure where the $2.3 billion is coming from? $1.051 billion was the total awarded; this was announced first and then broken down by device. Perhaps someone took the total, then added on the breakdown with dodgy arithmetic?

No, sir. That's just for the Tab 10.1. Here's a partial list.

Originally Posted by mac512 View Post
What was it ?

The iPad's "rounded rectangle" patent.

post #138 of 409
Quote:

That was quick.

A message to Samsung.

Wah, wah, wah, wah, wah.................

post #139 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Let's see what Samesung can do if they actually have to think for themselves!!

My guess is not bloody much. All Samedung did with their blatant copying was turn me from a potential tv customer into one who will always boycott their products. Sony, Sharp, and Philips have some equal if not better models anyway.

Edited by Radar - 8/24/12 at 4:34pm
post #140 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

The Verge initially reported $1.5 BN but neglected to note that was for a single award.

My earlier post:

Clarification:  Total damages assessed against Samsung: $1.05 billion

post #141 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

My earlier post:

That is what was reported as the judge read the verdict.

If AI was the only one reporting $1.05 B, I wouldn't take it too seriously, but most of the other sites are also reporting $1.05 B. I guess it will take a while for the dust to settle. It could be that $1.05 B is only against one of the 3 Samsung entities and the total is $2.3 B. Or maybe the numbers were reported wrong. Who knows?

ETA:
CNET is now reporting a clarification that the damages were $1.051 B. I wonder why - when all the individual damages add up to $2.3 B.

In the end, though, it won't matter. The money won't mean much to Apple. The fact that they won so many of their claims and had their patents upheld is far more important in the long run.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #142 of 409

Victory at last! Justice was made!

post #143 of 409

post #144 of 409

I have had such a shitty week, but this managed to put a smile on my face :)

(Have legal wranglings of my own)

post #145 of 409

Looks like the numbers being reported each may have been what Apple wanted... that would total 2.5 billion, and not the actual award amounts.

post #146 of 409

[b]Apple has done it -- it's quite literally dealt a death blow to the biggest Android phonemaker's U.S. sales.[/b]

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=25515

Soon, bans will be announced and Samesung will find that many of it's devices will not be allowed to be sold anymore, unless they make massive changes, which could cost many times the amount of damages awarded.

post #147 of 409
Quote:

What you SAID was "Sammy has literally not scored a single point."
That is, as I pointed out, incorrect. Your attempts to change the meaning of your statement notwithstanding, of course.
Oh, yeah. You're going to blame it on language problems. I forgot. /s

If they are found not guilty of a claim against them, they don't win anything. They are just not guilty. As I said Samsung won nothing, nada, nil, zilch!

post #148 of 409

It is a great day for a US company.  I LOVE IT!

I am a US expat living in China for 5+ years.  Local manufacturers in Asia throughout will copy anything without considering intellectual rights.  To them there is no right or wrong, only money in the pocket!  Copying is most wide spread in the fashion industry as there is few patents.  For that reason I never understand why most readers would support Samsung, a foreign conglomerate whose Chairman was once jailed for bribing the Korean President.

post #149 of 409

post #150 of 409

Great day for justice and innovation.

I doubted the jury would get this right.

I'm very VERY happy to be wrong.

Congrats to the American judicial system, and congrats to Apple.

post #151 of 409
Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

As the late Steve Jobs would say, "Boom!"

post #152 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I'd be curious to see the Korean newspaper headlines....lol.gif

"Apple vs. Samsung Case Done"

"developing"

im so funny...........

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

post #153 of 409

its hard to tell if the $1,05B was the total and then they itemised that, or the other figures were in addition.

Its chump change anyway, more important would be costs per device going forward.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #154 of 409

BOOM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8I8PRIRRL8

And a precedent has been set. Message sent. 

ALL THE HATERS CAN NOW STFU. Seriously. Apple's justified position was crystal clear from Day 1 in this entire affair. Samsung's thievery was also clear the entire time. 

post #155 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacerays View Post

Am wondering how the jury comes up with the damages so precisely?

They follow Apple claims, I presume

post #156 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If they are found not guilty of a claim against them, they don't win anything. They are just not guilty. As I said Samsung won nothing, nada, nil, zilch!

That's not what you said. You said that Samsung didn't win a single point. In fact, they did. They won a number of points.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #157 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

This suit was completely frivolous and without merit. You can't patent a rectangle. Apple, with their huge war chest, must have paid off the jury for this verdict to happen. Samsung will appeal and win.

Signed, DaHarder 

;-)

/Sarcasm

Hey I think I'll write a big hit song called Imagine or Happy Birthday or Hound Dog. You can't patent letters of the alphabet.

post #158 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

No, sir. That's just for the Tab 10.1. Here's a partial list.

No, the Cnet liveblog was wrong and has now corrected itself. The total is $1.051 billion
post #159 of 409

For those on this forum (you know who you are), I'd like to say, in your face! I told you Judge Koh was biased against Apple and she tried to trick Apple into last minute settlement by saying that if the trial went to Jury the result wouldn't be favourable for either party. And look what we have here, Apple wins and is awarded $1.05 billion in damages. That Judge Koh is shady!

post #160 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asim Soofi View Post

Apple just got a $1 Billion discount on parts...nothing more.

So how much of it do the lawyers get?

As far as I am concerned the lawyers can take it all.

Apple doesn't need this pittance. The true value of the judgment is upholding the sanctity of Apple's innovations and IP -- incalculable for Apple (and unfortunately, equally incalculable going the other way, for your pals Samsung).

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung guilty of patent infringement, Apple awarded nearly $1.05B [u]