or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung guilty of patent infringement, Apple awarded nearly $1.05B [u]

Samsung guilty of patent infringement, Apple awarded nearly $1.05B [u] - Page 5

post #161 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asim Soofi View Post

Apple just got a $1 Billion discount on parts...nothing more.

So how much of it do the lawyers get?

According to an article I read last night the average price for Shamsung's  and Apples lawyers is around $1200 an hour.  There making a huge killing on all of this patent litigation.

post #162 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

There I corrected that for you.
;-)

Followed by this story

"As the new owners of The Guardian and The Times, which we purchased with the damages we won when Samsung was found guilty of copying us, we would like to start by complying with Justice Friel's order so here is the ad required under British law, "Samsung did not copy us".

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #163 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ergoo View Post

APPLE WINS!!!! Apple stock is rising after hours. I am looking for BEER!!!

Link? Proof?

According to my IB account that reports minute- by-minute after hours, AAPL is at $675.25.

It closed, today, at $663.22"

It's up $12 and change, and highest it's ever been,

Sorry, there is no way to link this information.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #164 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's not what you said. You said that Samsung didn't win a single point. In fact, they did. They won a number of points.

Ok, I'll be the arbitrator between you two and settle this.

Yes, he was technically wrong in saying that Samsung didn't win a single point. It won a couple of points and Apple won like 127. Now that that's settled, we can all move on. lol.gif

post #165 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

No, the Cnet liveblog was wrong and has now corrected itself. The total is $1.051 billion

There's more involved. The Verge was also reporting as the numbers were read and reported $1.5 B just for the Tab. The numbers must have been reduced for some reason. Either that or the $2.3 B reported was for all three Samsung companies while the $1.05 B being reported now is just for one of the three.

It will take a while for things to settle.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #166 of 409
Quote:

Damages:
$1.5 BILLION - just for the Tab.

I think that's total.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #167 of 409
And still raising!!

AAPLApple Inc. $ 675.10 11.878  1.79% 432,601

How nice to end the week!

Go Apple!!!
post #168 of 409
Quote:

Not really. If Samsung wants to continue selling their phones they must now pay Apple a license fee for whatever patents Apple is willing to license. Or come up with a work around. Apple may be able to collect $10.00 on every smart phone Samsung sells. These are non-FRAND patents. And Apple may also  be able to use this win to go after HTC, LG and Motorola. So it's much more than just a billion dollar win. 

post #169 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post

For those on this forum (you know who you are), I'd like to say, in your face! I told you Judge Koh was biased against Apple and she tried to trick Apple into last minute settlement by saying that if the trial went to Jury the result wouldn't be favourable for either party. And look what we have here, Apple wins and is awarded $1.05 billion in damages. That Judge Koh is shady!

Well, I think she just wanted to avoid the possibility of an appeal. That's been brought up before and it makes total sense. No judge likes having their decision re-examined. In law, a settlement is always the preferred route, anyway. Not necessarily for the participants, though.  ;)

post #170 of 409

Too bad Sj isn't here to witness this.

post #171 of 409

I wouldn't lump Samsung's phone business with the rest of their businesses, which make everything under the sun. They are a conglomerate and they are very good at what they do with technology advancements.

post #172 of 409

This is huge in the US, yes. But, elsewhere? I don't think the impact will be that big. Different countries always mean different jurisdictions. Although, many, if not all, of Android phone makers will try harder to make sure that their phones are not infringing Apple's patents just to avoid of being hassled or haggled in the court of law by Apple anywhere on the planet. You have to remember  that the huge and ever growing market for smartphones is actually outside of the US as the US smartphone market is getting close to saturation point.

We'll see how Apple plays its cards. Perhaps, as I suspected, Apple is playing this win for leveraging against its weak position in the possible upcoming war over implementations of 4G LTE standards which its competitors and foes own the majority of the patents of and are far ahead in the game. Apple already lost one battle against Nokia on this front.

Quote:

This is HUGE. Aside from the monetary damages, it sends a clear message. More importantly, it establishes a precedent that Apple can use against other infringers.
post #173 of 409

In ten minutes Samsung's allotted 30 minute review time will be up.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #174 of 409
No, the Cnet liveblog was wrong and has now corrected itself. The total is $1.051 billion
There's more involved. The Verge was also reporting as the numbers were read and reported $1.5 B just for the Tab. The numbers must have been reduced for some reason. Either that or the $2.3 B reported was for all three Samsung companies while the $1.05 B being reported now is just for one of the three.
It will take a while for things to settle.

Thanks for the corrections, then!

Originally Posted by majjo View Post
wasn't the only claim aganist the tablets the D'889 patent? I thought they ruled that it didn't infringe on that one

Yeah, I don't understand how it could get damages for not infringing. But I'll take it!

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #175 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Ouch. lol.gif

post #176 of 409

Awesome news. Now Samsung will think 1 billion times before copying Apple again.

post #177 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

"Apple vs. Samsung Case Done"

"developing"

It went "smooth."

post #178 of 409
Quote:

Oh no. Not at all. This wasn't for the money. This was for the message that was sent by this entire affair, courtesy of Apple. Apple wasn't here for the money. They were here to put certain "ideas" other companies may have (especially ones with less time and money), right to bed. 

It was all to set an example and to set precedent. 

post #179 of 409

From CNET,

Quote:
Apple will ask the judge for an injunction. If granted, Samsung products will be pulled from the shelves.
  •  
post #180 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

wasn't the only claim aganist the tablets the D'889 patent? I thought they ruled that it didn't infringe on that one

No. That was the only design patent against the Tab - and Samsung won on the question of whether they infringed on the design patent. Apple's utility patents applied to the Tab and they were upheld. The Tab damages would be for infringing the utility patents.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #181 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

How is it possible that Apple's two top lawyers are not present for the verdict reading??? McElhinny and Lee are both not present....

Two possible reasons. First, they weren't expecting a verdict today. Second, they get paid by the hour. Do they really need to be there? 

post #182 of 409

Well that is a very specific verdict.  Line by line, patent by patent, device by device.  Apple did not win on every item or every device.  That to me shows the jury gave some thought to their decision.

The interesting thing will be how and what Samsung tries to appeal and on what justification.  Questioning the juries verdict on individual items would be hard.  It would seem Samsung will need to show some issue with the process of how the trial was run, the evidence permitted, etc.  

post #183 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

But, elsewhere? I don't think the impact will be that big. 

You're severely underestimating the importance that the US has upon other markets.

post #184 of 409
Quote:
From the beginning, legal experts and Wall Street analysts viewed Samsung as the underdog in the case. Apple's headquarters is a mere 10 miles from the courthouse, and jurors were picked from the heart of Silicon Valley where Apple's late founder Steve Jobs is a revered technological pioneer.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/08/24/jury-reaches-verdict-in-apple-vs-samsung-case/#ixzz24VgpTqfp

*rolls eyes*

post #185 of 409

So where's the judge that tells Samsung they have to post a year long portion of text on their website that says"

"We're sorry for copying Apple. We're sorry for copying Apple. We're sorry for copying Apple. We're sorry for copying Apple. We're sorry for copying Apple. We're sorry for copying Apple. We're sorry for copying Apple. We're sorry for copying Apple. We're sorry for copying Apple. We're sorry for copying Apple..."

I mean, if things are going to be fair here...

LOL

Note to big business:

It's not OK to steal.

Note to Samsung:

Hire and R&D department and make real products please.

post #186 of 409
Quote:

For those on this forum (you know who you are), I'd like to say, in your face! I told you Judge Koh was biased against Apple and she tried to trick Apple into last minute settlement by saying that if the trial went to Jury the result wouldn't be favourable for either party. And look what we have here, Apple wins and is awarded $1.05 billion in damages. That Judge Koh is shady!

Give me a break. Juries are unpredictable. Settlement is the right way to go most times. Further, a settlement would have shut down the amount of time both parties are going to face with an appeal. 

post #187 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

As the late Steve Jobs would say, "Boom!"

nice touch Tsar Bomba  that was about what happened in this case (huge ip nuke lol)

post #188 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Two possible reasons. First, they weren't expecting a verdict today. Second, they get paid by the hour. Do they really need to be there? 

Nobody was expecting a verdict today. I read that one of Apple's lawyers showed up in a polo shirt. They were obviously not expecting to be in any courtroom today.

post #189 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlirph View Post

It is a great day for a US company.  I LOVE IT!

I am a US expat living in China for 5+ years.  Local manufacturers in Asia throughout will copy anything without considering intellectual rights.  To them there is no right or wrong, only money in the pocket!  Copying is most wide spread in the fashion industry as there is few patents.  For that reason I never understand why most readers would support Samsung, a foreign conglomerate whose Chairman was once jailed for bribing the Korean President.

I had the exact same experience in Korea and China (though not really in Japan) ...they will commonly steal everything from high tech engine designs to designer clothes to food labels to the Starbucks logo on local coffee shops to western pop songs which are then marketed throughout Asia (albeit even worse sounding) as 'K-pop'. Then they'll turn around and tell the world how smart and creative they are. I reckon it stems from their Confucianist system where a relatively small number of innovators (a few domestic but usually foreign) are copied, and copied, and copied. Copying there is seen as the greatest form of flattery and originality is far less important than simply getting something that will sell at all costs. Unfortunately for them western companies don't see it that way. 

post #190 of 409
I want to add one thing.

There have been endless complaints about Tim Cook and arguments that he's not fit for the job and that he couldn't accomplish anything.

He's just finished his 1 year anniversary and Apple stock is up about $270 billion from when he took over. Under his tenure, Apple just one one of the biggest lawsuits ever in the mobile phone industry.

Congratulations are in order for Tim Cook.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #191 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I think that's total.

It is the total. However, were Samsung was found to willfully infringe, the award can be trebled. Further, the Judge can now issue an injunction on Samsung's products covered by the lawsuit. 

post #192 of 409
Quote:

I want to add one thing.
There have been endless complaints about Tim Cook and arguments that he's not fit for the job and that he couldn't accomplish anything.
He's just finished his 1 year anniversary and Apple stock is up about $270 billion from when he took over. Under his tenure, Apple just one one of the biggest lawsuits ever in the mobile phone industry.

He didn't initiate the lawsuit, neither did he win it, the lawyers did. I don't see how he deserves any credit for this.

post #193 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidW View Post

Not really. If Samsung wants to continue selling their phones they must now pay Apple a license fee for whatever patents Apple is willing to license. Or come up with a work around. Apple may be able to collect $10.00 on every smart phone Samsung sells. These are non-FRAND patents. And Apple may also  be able to use this win to go after HTC, LG and Motorola. So it's much more than just a billion dollar win. 

I think they went after Samsung because of the amount of patents they violated. At least HTC, LG, and Moto have tried not to make a phone that looked like an iPhone, and Moto's tablets are different enough that they cannot be mistaken for an iPad. If Apple does sue them it'll be for utility patents. They've already won one against HTC in which HTC just removed the infringing action from the OS.
post #194 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post

Hey I think I'll write a big hit song called Imagine or Happy Birthday or Hound Dog. You can't patent letters of the alphabet.

Actually, you could write a hit song using any of those names and it would be OK.

post #195 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Second, they get paid by the hour. 

They get paid even if they are on the phone. You are probably correct that they didn't expect a verdict today and perhaps had already started their weekend plans. There were apparently a few Apple attorneys there as it was stated on the Verge that both Apple and Samsung were reviewing the jury's verdict documents.

post #196 of 409
Quote:

Quote:

There's more involved. The Verge was also reporting as the numbers were read and reported $1.5 B just for the Tab.

No, they didn't:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge Liveblog 
4:04:36 PM PDT: 1 billion, 51 million 855 thousand dollars
4:07:30 PM PDT: Going through the damages for each phone.

Obviously the guys over at Cnet got very confused and thought that:

a.) 1 billion, 51 million = $1.5 billion
b.) That that was for the Tab 10.1 when in fact it was the total awarded
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #197 of 409
Quote:

He didn't initiate the lawsuit, neither did he win it, the lawyers did. I don't see how he deserves any credit for this.

You don't think Cook had any say in the strategy? You don't think Cook had any part of the settlement discussions? You don't think Cook had to decide whether to file the suit - and then continue it?

You're really confused.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #198 of 409
Many people fail to understand how this verdict is to be read. The 1 billion something is the total SM has to pay, the rest that was given per phone was just a breakdown. So basically Apple got half of what they requested, still a big success for them since Sam didn't get a penny.

They answered following the grid they had to fill so it was pretty easy to follow with that as a reference.
post #199 of 409
Quote:

I want to add one thing.

Agreed.  the man is largely responsible for the resurgence Apple has seen for many years now.  He was just the behind the scenes guy making it happen reliably while Jobs was the front man/rock star.

Cook isn't the personality Jobs was.  But he is definitely the mind.  He is not quite as creative.  But he is possibly even more business savvy and disciplined.  

post #200 of 409
Quote:

I want to add one thing.

Hear, hear
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung guilty of patent infringement, Apple awarded nearly $1.05B [u]