or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung guilty of patent infringement, Apple awarded nearly $1.05B [u]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung guilty of patent infringement, Apple awarded nearly $1.05B [u] - Page 6

post #201 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post

He didn't initiate the lawsuit, neither did he win it, the lawyers did. I don't see how he deserves any credit for this.

Then you must be blind...

post #202 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

I wouldn't lump Samsung's phone business with the rest of their businesses, which make everything under the sun. They are a conglomerate and they are very good at what they do with technology advancements.

 

 

Actually, Samsung spends a lot of time stealing from others. Sharp sued it for violating its TV patents. If LG hasn't sued it for violating its washer and dryer designs, it should. The company has made fortune using the research and development of other companies. 

post #203 of 409

Court resumes. Two problems. Stay tuned.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #204 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


You don't think Cook had any say in the strategy? You don't think Cook had any part of the settlement discussions? You don't think Cook had to decide whether to file the suit - and then continue it?
You're really confused.

He clearly didn't do a good job at the settlement discussions because they didn't settle. So if anything, by allowing the verdict to go to Jury, it shows that Tim Cook did a poor job and couldn't keep Apple's fate in his own hands.

post #205 of 409

score one for the good guys!  Samesung is lucky. they should have be banned from selling phones and tablets in the USA ever since alls they do is copy Apple.

post #206 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac512 View Post
What was it ?

 

The iPad's "rounded rectangle" patent.

 

OK, Thanks.

 

That leaves room for constructors to build tablets and compete, in a fair way. It's maybe the reason for that.

post #207 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post

He clearly didn't do a good job at the settlement discussions because they didn't settle. So if anything, by allowing the verdict to go to Jury, it shows that Tim Cook did a poor job and couldn't keep Apple's fate in his own hands.

Would you not say this was a much better outcome than any settlement? sheesh 1rolleyes.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #208 of 409

Awkward situation when the verdict was announced: Samsung lawyers looked at Apple lawyers to copy their reaction.

post #209 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asim Soofi View Post

Apple just got a $1 Billion discount on parts...nothing more.

 

So how much of it do the lawyers get?

 

You're ignoring the broad ramifications for the infringements on the products. That's worth well in excess of several billion more.

post #210 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Many people fail to understand how this verdict is to be read. The 1 billion something is the total SM has to pay, the rest that was given per phone was just a breakdown. So basically Apple got half of what they requested, still a big success for them since Sam didn't get a penny.
They answered following the grid they had to fill so it was pretty easy to follow with that as a reference.

 

 

Keep in mind, however, the money judgement can be quite a bit larger. The judge can treble the jury award where the jury found willful infringement. 

post #211 of 409
I thought the sum of damages is 2.3 billion...
post #212 of 409

Do you think before samsungs appeal goes through that they will make sure their laywers are all licensed to practice?

post #213 of 409
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post
He clearly didn't do a good job at the settlement discussions because they didn't settle. So if anything, by allowing the verdict to go to Jury, it shows that Tim Cook did a poor job and couldn't keep Apple's fate in his own hands.

 

… Okay, so when your little brother keeps saying, "No." "No." "No." "No." "No." to everything you say and you have to have your mother moderate instead of breaking his thumbs like a proper gangster, that's YOUR fault? I don't think so.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #214 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post

He clearly didn't do a good job at the settlement discussions because they didn't settle. So if anything, by allowing the verdict to go to Jury, it shows that Tim Cook did a poor job and couldn't keep Apple's fate in his own hands.

 

They did not settle because Samesung wants to steal from Apple.  Cook clearly did a good job and did not "settle" for pennies.  Samesung only knows how to copy, they can not innovate.

post #215 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

 

Agreed.  the man is largely responsible for the resurgence Apple has seen for many years now.  He was just the behind the scenes guy making it happen reliably while Jobs was the front man/rock star.

 

Cook isn't the personality Jobs was.  But he is definitely the mind.  He is not quite as creative.  But he is possibly even more business savvy and disciplined.  

Agreed +++

post #216 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post


No, they didn't:
Obviously the guys over at Cnet got very confused and thought that:
a.) 1 billion, 51 million = $1.5 billion
b.) That that was for the Tab 10.1 when in fact it was the total awarded

Does this really matter? It is a rather trivial sum (did I say that about something in the billions!? lol.gif) in the larger scheme of things. Indeed, irrelevant.

 

Apple could have been awarded $1 in damages, and it would still be beyond HUGE.

post #217 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Awkward situation when the verdict was announced: Samsung lawyers looked at Apple lawyers to copy their reaction.

LOL!!!
post #218 of 409

The image speaks for itself. Before iPhone and after. Blatantly obvious.

post #219 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

 

 

Actually, you could write a hit song using any of those names and it would be OK.

In Korea you sure could, it's done on a weekly basis and called 'K-pop" (really cheesy cringeworthy pop music, often with melodies entirely ripped off from western songwriters, in case you didn't know). 

 

But if you're so cocksure why don't you go ahead and write Imagine, with all those same letters of the alphabet as the original written by John Lennon, and with almost the same melody, and see how many record labels you can rustle up to market it stateside? I'm betting Yoko Ono would ride you like a kayak to Takeshima before you could say kimchee! :)

post #220 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Awkward situation when the verdict was announced: Samsung lawyers looked at Apple lawyers to copy their reaction.

HAAAA!!!
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #221 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I want to add one thing.
There have been endless complaints about Tim Cook and arguments that he's not fit for the job and that he couldn't accomplish anything.
He's just finished his 1 year anniversary and Apple stock is up about $270 billion from when he took over. Under his tenure, Apple just one one of the biggest lawsuits ever in the mobile phone industry.
Congratulations are in order for Tim Cook.

I second that. Absolutely!!

He may not have Steves charisma, but from what I see he does more than an exellent job.
post #222 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

score one for the good guys!  Samesung is lucky. they should have be banned from selling phones and tablets in the USA ever since alls they do is copy Apple.

No, they're not lucky. Bans are coming soon. That's phase two.

post #223 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post

He clearly didn't do a good job at the settlement discussions because they didn't settle. So if anything, by allowing the verdict to go to Jury, it shows that Tim Cook did a poor job and couldn't keep Apple's fate in his own hands.

You can't reach a settlement with irrational thieves. Tim Cook made the wise choice.

post #224 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

 

You're ignoring the broad ramifications for the infringements on the products. That's worth well in excess of several billion more.

Indeed. The market has already awarded Apple over $10B. With more to come, I am sure....

post #225 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta

In the end, though, it won't matter. The money won't mean much to Apple. The fact that they won so many of their claims and had their patents upheld is far more important in the long run.

 

 I think it matters, the closest to the 2.5 billions claimed by Apple the best for Apple.

post #226 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

No, they're not lucky. Bans are coming soon. That's phase two.

This is bad news for the carriers, too.  They will not be able to force a subsidy cut on Apple if the Android phones become weaker.

post #227 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You're severely underestimating the importance that the US has upon other markets.

 

In what way?  

 

Or are you meaning the continuing  pressure of the US to pressure smaller countries to alter their intellectual property laws to suit the USA?

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #228 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

which of the phones are still actually on sale though? I got the feeling that most of the claims against the Galaxy S line stuck, while most against the S2 didn't. With the S3 already out, I think Samsung would just quickly phase out the S and S2 anyways.

True, but count on Apple to quickly file utility patent claims against the SIII and ask for an injunction. Given how convincing this decision was, chances are good that they'll get it.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #229 of 409
1) Bring in the guilty bastards

2) Give them a fair trial

3) Hang 'em


Summarized from my non-infringed iPad
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #230 of 409

Hopefully Samsung will make original designs in future, now that they have no choice. Microsoft was able to.

post #231 of 409
If PSY from Gangnam Style is also a copy of some American pop star I will die

Lol
post #232 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Hopefully Samsung will make original designs in future, now that they have no choice. Microsoft was able to.

Micro- Who?
post #233 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Hopefully Samsung will make original designs in future, now that they have no choice. Microsoft was able to.

Microsoft is actually paying apple for patents in their windows phones. Sammy did not wanted to...
post #234 of 409

post #235 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Brilliant!

post #236 of 409

It'll be appealed.

 

Nobody, no matter how damning the evidence, is just going to roll over & fork out $1 billion.  They're going to exhaust all possible routes first.

post #237 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Awkward situation when the verdict was announced: Samsung lawyers looked at Apple lawyers to copy their reaction.

 

LOL

 

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply
post #238 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Hopefully Samsung will make original designs in future, now that they have no choice. Microsoft was able to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Micro- Who?

Ah now I remember.

This company with the clown in the keynote presentations.
These presentations are really original and definitely not copied from Apple. LOL
post #239 of 409

Samsung should've settled.

post #240 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

 

LOL

 

-kpluck

 

 

I chocked laughing, be careful i may sue you!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung guilty of patent infringement, Apple awarded nearly $1.05B [u]