or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung guilty of patent infringement, Apple awarded nearly $1.05B [u]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung guilty of patent infringement, Apple awarded nearly $1.05B [u] - Page 7

post #241 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

It'll be appealed.

Nobody, no matter how damning the evidence, is just going to roll over & fork out $1 billion.  They're going to exhaust all possible routes first.

Of course. But, as was pointed out a few days ago by someone else, this give Apple the upper hand.

Note that Samsung can not simply ask for an appeal because they didn't like the verdict. They must show that there was an error OF LAW (not just an error in the judge's opinions) and that the error was large enough that it might have changed the outcome.

And even if they're granted an appeal, it's unlikely that it would be broad enough to cover everything.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #242 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post


Classy!
post #243 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

It'll be appealed.

 

Nobody, no matter how damning the evidence, is just going to roll over & fork out $1 billion.  They're going to exhaust all possible routes first.

 

Didn't Apple pay billions to Nokia a couple of years back (settled out of court)?

 

Yeah, this case will be appealed regardless of who wins it.

post #244 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Hopefully Samsung will make original designs in future, now that they have no choice. Microsoft was able to.

They already have.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #245 of 409
Originally posted by The Verge's liveblog
Samsung's attorneys are now arguing that the jury's finding of patent exhaustion not be valid because one of the prerequisites for patent exhaustion is that Apple's devices had infringed in the first place.

 

The things they'll do, you know?


Judge Koh reads a note from the jury. They've asked they be sent down which inconsistencies they are deliberating on.

 

Three Stooges-esque slap on the head: "PAY ATTENTION, WILL YOU?"

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #246 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I want to add one thing.

There have been endless complaints about Tim Cook and arguments that he's not fit for the job and that he couldn't accomplish anything.

He's just finished his 1 year anniversary and Apple stock is up about $270 billion from when he took over. Under his tenure, Apple just one one of the biggest lawsuits ever in the mobile phone industry.

Congratulations are in order for Tim Cook.

+++ Hear, hear.... Oye, Oye, Oye...
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #247 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post

He didn't initiate the lawsuit, neither did he win it, the lawyers did. I don't see how he deserves any credit for this.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


You don't think Cook had any say in the strategy? You don't think Cook had any part of the settlement discussions? You don't think Cook had to decide whether to file the suit - and then continue it?
You're really confused.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post

He clearly didn't do a good job at the settlement discussions because they didn't settle. So if anything, by allowing the verdict to go to Jury, it shows that Tim Cook did a poor job and couldn't keep Apple's fate in his own hands.

 

Tim Cook, as CEO of Apple, gets credit when Apple does good and held accountable when they do poorly. 

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #248 of 409

Kicked them square in the nuts.

post #249 of 409

Well the jury's one hour requested extension is up so this will likely resume on Monday.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #250 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/152115/samsung-guilty-of-patent-infringement-apple-awarded-1-05b/200#post_2175175"]No, they're not lucky. Bans are coming soon. That's phase two.

Most of the devices are no longer available.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #251 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You don't think Cook had any say in the strategy? You don't think Cook had any part of the settlement discussions? You don't think Cook had to decide whether to file the suit - and then continue it?

You're really confused.
He clearly didn't do a good job at the settlement discussions because they didn't settle. So if anything, by allowing the verdict to go to Jury, it shows that Tim Cook did a poor job and couldn't keep Apple's fate in his own hands.

Boy, is that ever screwed-up logic! Apple didn't sue for the money... They sued to protect their IP.. Settlement would have brought them dollars, but little satisfaction -- and no protection.

Now, Apple has drawn a line in the sand for all to see -- and it has been sanctified by the court.

It was risky from a dollar view -- but, that wasn't the issue. I am satisfied that Tim saw it through!

Several precedents have been set.. Legal and political.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #252 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

We'll see how Apple plays its cards. Perhaps, as I suspected, Apple is playing this win for leveraging against its weak position in the possible upcoming war over implementations of 4G LTE standards which its competitors and foes own the majority of the patents of and are far ahead in the game. Apple already lost one battle against Nokia on this front.

 

 

I guess you forgot about all the 4G patents Apple got off Nortel...

 

...nice fantasy, but,

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #253 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

1) Bring in the guilty bastards
2) Give them a fair trial
3) Hang 'em
Summarized from my non-infringed iPad

 

I think you got the wrong thread, the DoJ ebooks one is that-a-way ----->

 

;)

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #254 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Dude, quit your day job and start making the T-shirts; you'll sell those by the score (maybe just send me a freebee?)

post #255 of 409

I don't understand why they didn't settle. It's a shame Steve isn't here to see this. Enjoy is clearly the wrong word. 


Edited by AdonisSMU - 8/24/12 at 6:05pm
post #256 of 409
Apple beware, better do not disappoint with iPhone5 as it was with 4S. My corporate Samsung Galaxy SIII on Verizon 4G LTE with 24mbps made my FIOS with 13Mbps look like junky dial up. Wifey's Verizon iPhone4 "rocks" at 1.1mbps. At least some 1B $ relief for Apple for being one year behind competitors. Rambus was also winning in courts.
post #257 of 409
Originally Posted by Andrey View Post
Apple beware, better do not disappoint with iPhone5 as it was with 4S.

 

Troll somewhere else. Today's not a good day for you.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #258 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

Can I have mine with butter and no salt please?  Also I would like a beer, Bud LIght in the bottle.  Thanks man your the greatest.

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #259 of 409

I like both iOS and Android and most of this was a ruling against TouchWiz not against Android.  There were a couple of rulings against Android OS direct but I know that bounce back has already been removed, not sure about that tap to deal though.

 

I have 2 iPod Touch's and 2 Apple TV's, used to have an iPad 3.  I also have 2 Google TV's, Nexus 7 and a Motorola Photon.

 

I agree with pretty much all of the judgements, although I reserve the right to change my mind because I'm not a patent lawyer.  I see this as more of a judgement against Samsung rather than Google, so this thermonuclear war against Android has not really started, against Samsung, yeah I can see it, but against Android, not yet.

 

PS:  I'm a huge fan of widgets.  I had the iPod touch before I bought any cell phone and widgets and what they could do swayed me to get an Android phone.

post #260 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Today's not a good day for you.

I don't care about both Apple and Samsung. I'll buy best technology. Looks like someone takes it personally. 1smile.gif
post #261 of 409
Ha now the fandroids are moaning that the jury came back with a verdict too soon, and that this will be overturned on appeal. LOL How often do 3 panel judges overturn jury verdicts? Oh and they're also whining about the setting being favorable to Apple even though both companies signed off on the jury. Sorry fandroids Samsung got pwned. And what's really hilarious is TouchWiz seems to be the biggest culprit and most fandroids would prefer stock Android anyways. lol.gif

Microsoft having some fun with this verdict.

s31yk3.jpg
post #262 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey View Post

Apple beware, better do not disappoint with iPhone5 as it was with 4S. My corporate Samsung Galaxy SIII on Verizon 4G LTE with 24mbps made my FIOS with 13Mbps look like junky dial up. Wifey's Verizon iPhone4 "rocks" at 1.1mbps. At least some 1B $ relief for Apple for being one year behind competitors. Rambus was also winning in courts.

 

So how many Blueray quality DVD's do you download or stream using your corporate phone?

 

Like how much faster do you get those corporate emails, is it quicker than the lag between touching something and it doing something on the screen?

 

Your download speed spec means NOTHING to most of the people on earth, it makes very little difference in the real world.

 

It's a useless, stupid pissing contest.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #263 of 409
Samsunk.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #264 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Dude, quit your day job and start making the T-shirts; you'll sell those by the score (maybe just send me a freebee?)

 

Patent it first, NOW ;-)

post #265 of 409

They done gone home, it is over...for now.

 

$1,049,343,540.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #266 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

This is huge in the US, yes. But, elsewhere? I don't think the impact will be that big. Different countries always mean different jurisdictions. Although, many, if not all, of Android phone makers will try harder to make sure that their phones are not infringing Apple's patents just to avoid of being hassled or haggled in the court of law by Apple anywhere on the planet. 

 

 

Even if other jurisdictions don't agree with the U.S. decision, no manufacturer will want to deal with the legal hassle or make two versions of a device with one for the U.S. market. Ultimately, playing nice makes the most money.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #267 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Ha now the fandroids are moaning that the jury came back with a verdict too soon, and that this will be overturned on appeal. LOL How often do 3 panel judges overturn jury verdicts? Oh and they're also whining about the setting being favorable to Apple even though both companies signed off on the jury. Sorry fandroids Samsung got pwned. And what's really hilarious is TouchWiz seems to be the biggest culprit and most fandroids would prefer stock Android anyways. lol.gif
Microsoft having some fun with this verdict.
s31yk3.jpg

 

So that's what FUD stands for - "Fresh. Unique. Different."  Thanks for clearing that up!

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #268 of 409

Keh-Goggi E-Se'o Adashi?  Samsung E-Se'o EEmee Sheemee Peck peck poji-da!!!!!!!!

 

요리하는 개 각하?  Samsung 누군가 엄마는 대머리 털이 있는 버들강아지가 있다

 

Now that is not how it is really spelled. I spelled it this way so you would know how it is pronounced.

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #269 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey View Post


I don't care about both Apple and Samsung. I'll buy best technology. Looks like someone takes it personally. 1smile.gif

Like he said, go away.

post #270 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So how many Blueray quality DVD's do you download or stream using your corporate phone?

Like how much faster do you get those corporate emails, is it quicker than the lag between touching something and it doing something on the screen?

Your download speed spec means NOTHING to most of the people on earth, it makes very little difference in the real world.

It's a useless, stupid pissing contest.

How about 2 adults sitting on iPads and 2 kids streaming pandora on iTouches from my hotspot without any lag during this summer vacation on a ocean. Use your imagination.
post #271 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey View Post


How about 2 adults sitting on iPads and 2 kids streaming pandora on iTouches from my hotspot without any lag during this summer vacation on a ocean. Use your imagination.

What's an 'iTouch'?

post #272 of 409
All these comments I'm seeing on the web about the jury not being smart enough to decide this case because they're not experts in patents...well had Samsung won would these same people still be claiming that? Of course not. We'd hear about how brilliant the jury was and thank god for common sense, blah blah blah.
post #273 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey View Post


How about 2 adults sitting on iPads and 2 kids streaming pandora on iTouches from my hotspot without any lag during this summer vacation on a ocean. Use your imagination.

What's an iTouch? And why - it sounds uncomfortable - are adults sitting on iPads?

 

edit: Damn, beaten to the punch by anantksundaram!

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #274 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What's an 'iTouch'?

Our Nickname for iPod Touch.
post #275 of 409
It's a great day. Nice to finally see some justice served. Well done, Apple!!
Here now.
Reply
Here now.
Reply
post #276 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post

Name calling and belittling others because you have 9,000 posts and no life. How very sad.

It's not the number of posts, it's because YOU'RE WRONG. 

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #277 of 409
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
What's an 'iTouch'?

 

A discontinued Logitech keyboard.


Originally Posted by Andrey View Post
Our Nickname for iPod Touch.

 

Oh, so like my iPod touch is called "The Emulation" or how my iPhone is called "The Triumverate"…


Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post
It's not the number of posts, it's because YOU'RE WRONG. 

 

I'd like to put that in my signature, but I've more important stuff there right now. Crying shame… 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #278 of 409
As much as it's a good thing that Samsung was called out for being the blatant Apple copying machine that they are, it's still tragic that software patents for trivial "inventions" (like one-click shopping) are rampant in the U.S.

Software patent law needs to be reformed, or software patents need to be abolished altogether.

Also, how much you want to bet this gets quickly appealed?
post #279 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac512 View Post

 

Patent it first, NOW ;-)

Damn, Samsung beat me to it ;)

post #280 of 409

I must say I am disappointed. Before the iTrolls pounce on me, I've been a Mac user for many years and love my iPhone 4 and iPad. 

 

But I am also an avid Android user. My Galaxy S3 is leaps and bounds better than my iPhone, but it will never replace it. It sits in harmony alongside my trusty iPhone. They get along well. Each phone does certain things better than the other. It's just down to what phone I feel like using on a certain day. If I want to use my phone in bright daylight, I use my iPhone. If I want to enjoy submersive 3D gaming on a vibrant screen (indoors), then it's the S3.

 

Anyway, back to the point. I don't label myself as a fan of either mobile platform, because neither of them is perfect. Heck, no. I couldn't really care less whether Samsung did copy Apple's ideas or not. If they did, then they incorporated some good ideas into a phone/tablet that combines the best of both worlds. Ethically, I don't give a damn. I pay good money for my devices and the more bang I get for my buck makes the experience so much more enjoyable.

 

Now please excuse me, I'm going to play a few games on my Nexus 7 while I make a few calls on my Galaxy S3. And later on, I think I'll edit some videos and images on my Mac. And then tomorrow I'll take my iPhone out with me for the weekend 'cos my Galaxy S3's battery life blows.

 

Just sayin'.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung guilty of patent infringement, Apple awarded nearly $1.05B [u]