or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung guilty of patent infringement, Apple awarded nearly $1.05B [u]

Samsung guilty of patent infringement, Apple awarded nearly $1.05B [u] - Page 8

post #281 of 409

Thank you members of the jury.

You helped right this wrong.

post #282 of 409
What's kind of funny, is that the jury asked for extra time today so that they could get this trial behind them. And then Samsung brought up all this last minute trivia -- so the jury used up the extra time and still did not finish.... Human nature being what it is…
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #283 of 409

Whats right, is right....

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

post #284 of 409
Originally Posted by ntpreece View Post
I must say I am disappointed. Before the iTrolls pounce on me…

Comes onto an Apple fan website.

Calls us all "iTrolls"… ON AN APPLE FAN WEBSITE…

This should be frigging good… lol.gif

I've been a Mac user for many years…

"I own a Mac, but…" "I love Apple, but…" Come on. Give us something new.

Ethically, I don't give a damn.

So you don't care if someone steals intellectual property from someone else and doesn't get punished, and you don't care if someone steals intellectual property from someone else and does get punished. 

What was the point of creating an account and posting, again?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #285 of 409
Quote:
Ethically, I don't give a damn. 

That just about says it all.

Just sayin'.

post #286 of 409
Interesting...

About the same time AAPLl went up $11, GOOG dropped $9... When the verdict came in...
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #287 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

True, but count on Apple to quickly file utility patent claims against the SIII and ask for an injunction. Given how convincing this decision was, chances are good that they'll get it.

Bingo. Anyone who thinks this ends at whatever the eventual damages end up being is woefully naive.
post #288 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Can I have mine with butter and no salt please?  Also I would like a beer, Bud LIght in the bottle.  Thanks man your the greatest.

Bud Light? I thought you said you wanted a beer.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #289 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

It'll be appealed.

Appeal on what grounds?

An appeal isn't an automatic get out of jail free card or a way to tie it up forever. If they don't have something procedural of consequence they can appeal all they want but it will likely get rejected pretty quickly. If they can't prove there was a procedural error, their toast!
post #290 of 409
Quote:

That was quick.

You were quick!

I was quite uncertain about the jury process and thought the case would overwhelm the jurors.  In fact, with such a sweeping victory, perhaps it did and once they each formed an opinion, stuck to that line all the way through.  Apple deserved the win though - 100%... justification for defending intellectual property.  At least with a trial by jury, we iSheep are vindicated too, not that such was necessary!

Congratulations Apple, Tim and team - well done!

All the best. 

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #291 of 409

I am thinking that possibly Samsung will not appeal. This is actually a very fair outcome. Samsung knows full well they copied iPhone and a billion is just another write off on the taxes that they probably already fudge on since they are just as much a weasel in in their own country as they are internationally. Now at least the word is out that you cannot do a photocopy and call it your own design. Apple doesn't need to do anything more with respect to Google and the core Android will quickly change to not violate Apple's designs. This is good for the entire industry as everyone now knows that coping is not acceptable. From this point on it should become more like the auto industry. Copy but not blatantly. 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #292 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Interesting...
About the same time AAPLl went up $11, GOOG dropped $9... When the verdict came in...

Which is odd because this was a verdict against TouchWiz not against Android.

post #293 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Most of the devices are no longer available.

Yes, but a slam dunk win like this makes it that much easier for Apple to file new claims agains current devices.

Just because current devices weren't included in this lawsuit doesn't mean they are safe in any stretch of the imagination AT ALL.
post #294 of 409
Quote:

Interesting...

.... and yet, people say that markets are not efficient!

post #295 of 409
Quote:

Interesting...

post #296 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMohack View Post

Not necessarily. A ruling like this signals so much more, including the fact that Google is potentially on Apple's target list, and that, realizing business-as-usual is not an option going forward, Google will now have to devote significantly more resources to develop Android and Android-related software.

I can't wait to hear what Schmidt, Page, Brin, et. al have to say in their formal reaction to the verdict.

post #297 of 409

It does seem to follow a particular pattern doesn't it?  Usually if someone either starts or ends their post mentioning the number of Apple devices they own, you pretty much know how the rest of the comment goes.

post #298 of 409
Quote:

Heck, no. I couldn't really care less whether Samsung did copy Apple's ideas or not. If they did, then they incorporated some good ideas into a phone/tablet that combines the best of both worlds. Ethically, I don't give a damn. I pay good money for my devices and the more bang I get for my buck makes the experience so much more enjoyable.

So basically, you signed up to make a first post admitting that you're a person of questionable character and that you don't really care about right or wrong, because you paid "good money" for your devices. Based on your self-admitted lack of ethics, you also sound like the type that would have no problem with buying stolen property. Android seems like a perfect fit for you and your kind. 

Android does have the largest percentage of thieves and criminals as customers, people with no morals, as app piracy is rampant and out of control on Android, not to mention all of the fragmentation issues.

post #299 of 409
Quote:

I must say I am disappointed. Before the iTrolls pounce on me, I've been a Mac user for many years and love my iPhone 4 and iPad. 

Those guys have no sense of reason. This is apple fun site and not iPhone only. I also disign iOS, Mac, windows and android front ends for our medical software and have good experience with those platforms. If I say iPad is best on a market - because it's stable, solid and easy for programming and I enjoy it. But if I say iPhone is behind competitors its not to offend sarcastic moderator or unknown post generator, but because I just sharing my opinion. We were disappointed with 4s and wife still uses original 4.
post #300 of 409
Quote:

Hey, where are our usual trolls? /s

They've gone DEEPER into denial. I didn't think it was humanly possible to be so ignorant and angry about Apple's fight to protect its IP, but there it is.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #301 of 409

Yes! Samsung is an Apple copyist.

post #302 of 409

Who wants to take bets that this thread post count breaks all records on AI?

post #303 of 409

I didn't call you all iTrolls.

When did I say I love Apple?

I actually only love their products. Not the company.

Oh yes, the point of registering and posting was because I am a Reality Troll; some sort of unbiased, obscure Troll who isn't scared to venture out into unfamiliar territory and experience the wonders of mobile platforms that aren't iOS.

But I am seriously looking forward to seeing what the sixth generation iPhone has to offer.

I do respect that the theft of intellectual property is unlawful and wrong, but the sheer scale of the lawsuit and amount of money involved is not the way forward to aid future innovation.

And no, I would never knowingly buy stolen property. Android may be 'stolen' software, but it's not something I've personally stolen is it? 

I'm not the kind of guy to argue, it's not worth it. I've been browsing these forums for 3 years and I had the general concensus that it was more of a forum devoted to revealing news and events within Apple. Not a forum to bash-the-iOS-fan-who-isn't-scared-to-openly-like-Android-too forum.

post #304 of 409

No need for Samsung to copy Apples technology. Shame on Samsung. If Samsung is as tech savvy as they say, why don't they develop their own tech instead of using Apples???

Justice has been done!!!

post #305 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

ok sorry, try again: what is the record?

post #306 of 409

here the first really informative reaction to the verdict, from Foss Patents of course:

http://www.fosspatents.com/2012/08/apples-billion-dollar-win-over-samsung.html

post #307 of 409
Quote:

Anyone that disagrees with mstone should post several replies letting him know why you don't think it will.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #308 of 409
This is how Apple's award reads in a calculator when turned upside down: OOSSBISOI.

If I were on the jury I would have awarded Apple $5,318,008.

post #309 of 409
You just can't resist feeding FNTs can you?

First…  New… Trolls? Fresh New Trolls? 

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
They've gone DEEPER into denial. I didn't think it was humanly possible to be so ignorant and angry about Apple's fight to protect its IP, but there it is.

It's truly astounding, isn't it? From all of the trolls I've seen on other sites that were sure Apple would lose the case, I've now read nothing but slapppy-style arguments today! 

"In two years, Apple's marketshare will be what BlackBerry's is today." "Android is beating the snot out of Apple in Q2 2012 sales" etc. It's so frigging pathetic… 

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post
ok sorry, try again: what is the record?

iPhone 4 introduction thread, maybe?

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
Anyone that disagrees with mstone should post several replies letting him know why you don't think it will.

And then he'll write a script to block you. lol.gif

post #310 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This is how Apple's award reads in a calculator when turned upside down: OOSSBISOI.
If I were on the jury I would have awarded Apple $5,318,008.

How did you come with that amount?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #311 of 409
Quote:

I am thinking that possibly Samsung will not appeal.

Want to bet? Read Samsung whinefest to the press after the verdict was announced. Not only are they still pretending that they're innocent, but the flat out say that it's not over.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #312 of 409
Quote:

I actually only love their products. Not the company.

It's weird to express a dislike for an inanimate -- even abstract -- object like a 'company.' What is it that you do not like about the company, Apple? (And yet, not only do not have a problem with its products, you claim to love it). Did it do something to you or someone you know?

post #313 of 409
Happy birthday to me. Apple stock is higher than google after hours. Finally theiving Samsung gets busted!
post #314 of 409
How did you come with that amount?

Turn it upside down on a seven-bar display.

You got the N & T right, I'm sure you know the F stands for lol

Ah, now I do.

post #315 of 409

Heres to hoping that after years of appeals and money wasted, that billion samsung inevidably has to pay is its last and they go away forever.

and by then I hope apple has moved all its business elsewhere to more reputable companies.

post #316 of 409
Quote:

Want to bet? Read Samsung whinefest to the press after the verdict was announced. Not only are they still pretending that they're innocent, but the flat out say that it's not over.

I'm sure there are still years left to go.  Even in a simple case, an appeal takes at least a year.

A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #317 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by xRCx View Post

Heres to hoping that after years of appeals and money wasted, that billion samsung inevidably has to pay is its last and they go away forever.

and by then I hope apple has moved all its business elsewhere to more reputable companies.

That's just effing ridiculous.  I know everyone here hates 'Samesung' but they play an important role in the market.  The sad part about this whole stupid bit is it WILL CONTINUE FOR YEARS. Above all other things I hoped in this trial was for some sort of resolution and moving on.  It's just not happening.

post #318 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I'm sure there are still years left to go.  Even in a simple case, an appeal takes at least a year.

Not always. Apple has managed to get appeals heard and decided in several months in this trial.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #319 of 409

You meant ALL 150+ 4G LTE patents it got off Nortel? Armed only with these, Apple is indeed screwed. Thankfully, Apple has Qualcomm on its side for the so-called "patent exhaustion" defense, since Apple is using Qualcomm's chip. That being said, any 4G LTE patents outside of Qualcomm's reach, literally thousands of them by numerous parties [Nokia, Samsung, Sony, Ericsson, Panasonic, Interdigital, LG, Motorola,...], will be Apple's nightmare. Since Apple is in aggressive and offensive modes in its "thermonuclear" patent war, you can be sure those companies inside the bracket will be on similar modes as well.

Check this out, for some additional readings:

- I-runway 4G LTE Patent Landscape Analysis

- Article One Partners: LTE Essential Patents Now...

- Network World's Watchout Apple...

- Techipm: Mobile/Wireless Patents In Litigation

- Seeking Alpha: Nokia's Patent Goldmine

So, Apple has decided to go "thermonuclear", and this will be its ensuing radioactive cloud entrapping Apple thoroughly in it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I guess you forgot about all the 4G patents Apple got off Nortel...

...nice fantasy, but,

Edited by mcrs - 8/24/12 at 8:37pm
post #320 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

That's just effing ridiculous.  I know everyone here hates 'Samesung' but they play an important role in the market.  The sad part about this whole stupid bit is it WILL CONTINUE FOR YEARS. Above all other things I hoped in this trial was for some sort of resolution and moving on.  It's just not happening.

I don't hate Samsung, I just find them distasteful and without class and I do not see any viable place in the market for a business who would so blatantly rip off their own business partner. Do I think they are going away anytime soon, of course not, but you cannot stop me from hoping. I am all for a real innovative competitor for apple, even if at some point that is an Android phone maker but id rather them do it on their own innovation rather than shamelessly ripping apple off.

This is not a resolution but it does set a strong precedent and it calls into questions the other suits apple has lost worldwide like in the UK and South Korea. So it does not resolve it but it sends a very strong message and gives apple momentum going forward. Also did you really expect that the things would move on only hours after the verdict like we would all be "oh ok apple won, what else is in the news?"

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung guilty of patent infringement, Apple awarded nearly $1.05B [u]