or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung guilty of patent infringement, Apple awarded nearly $1.05B [u]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung guilty of patent infringement, Apple awarded nearly $1.05B [u] - Page 9

post #321 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This is how Apple's award reads in a calculator when turned upside down: OOSSBISOI.
If I were on the jury I would have awarded Apple $5,318,008.

 

BOOBIES to you too!

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #322 of 409
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
Apple's image took a beating with these lawsuits.

 

Here, sure. But we're as meaningful to that as we are to anything else. The rest of the world sees Apple for what they are, not the suits.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #323 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

This verdict is so dumb! Apple thinks that they invented the square? You can't patent a square! Apple users are such sheep. They've gotta be brainwashed and dumb to choose the best phone and tablet on the market! Who would ever do such a thing?

Another "in denial" Samesung LOSER fandroid!  Apple = WINNING!  Samesung =LOSERS!

Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
Reply
Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
Reply
post #324 of 409

I am a little surprised it was such a big win for Apple, just because I have little faith in a jury.  I expected some sort of curveball that was a half victory for Apple, but this is pretty cut and dry.

 

Samsung's claim that this is a loss for the American consumer is completely ridiculous. I suppose a marketplace full of cookie cutter phones that all look and operate the same is...what.... beneficial?  Samsung is full of it.  They deserved to loose and deserve to pay every dime.

 

That all said, I am careful not to beat the wardrum.  I really think Apple will need be careful as they move forward.  At some point, people start rooting for the underdog if they perceive you as a bully.  Samsung is a big company and no one feels pity for them.  It was obvious they ripped off Apple.  Some of the other handset makers are not as large as Samsung, and Apple's should consider more reserved tactics.  I think the smart move now is to move into a more covert strategy and keep the war with Android as far from the public eye as possible. At some point, making millions (or even billions) in royalties and licensing off of Android is fitting, less risky and, ultimately, profitable.  

 

Honestly, I don't think Apple is the patent trolling, choice loathing, anti-competitive company some people paint them as.  So I really think they will be a bit more conservative moving forward.  The fact is, Samsung was personal.  They didn't even make their cloning strategy a secret.  We saw plenty of evidence showing they set out to rip off the iPhone and discussed doing so.  They were BLATANT about it and it didn't bother them in the least....until they were called on it. Apple has not been quick to litigate and Samsung thought they could pull this off, but boy were they wrong.  Frankly, I am glad to see Apple win one (EDIT: court case that is).

post #325 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Want to bet? Read Samsung whinefest to the press after the verdict was announced. Not only are they still pretending that they're innocent, but the flat out say that it's not over.
I'm sure there are still years left to go.  Even in a simple case, an appeal takes at least a year.

Yeah, but Apple immediately filed for a prelim injunction...

[=http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/08/24/apple_seeks_preliminary_injunction_against_samsung_devices_in_post_trial_motion.html][/]

This is where Apple can leverage a court decision... Even if it is appealed.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #326 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Who wants to take bets that this thread post count breaks all records on AI?

 

I wouldn't bet against it. BTW, what is the record for a forum thread?

Because it's right before the weekend, if AI doesn't post too many more Apple vs. Samsung stories, this thread has a chance to reach at least 600 by Monday.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #327 of 409

Somewhere, Steve Jobs is smiling.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #328 of 409

It's getting late here in the U.S., but we'll start picking up the angry UK Apple-hating trolls (of which there are seemingly many on these forums) overnight. And we'll start slapping them down in the morning.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #329 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

That's just effing ridiculous.  I know everyone here hates 'Samesung' but they play an important role in the market.  The sad part about this whole stupid bit is it WILL CONTINUE FOR YEARS. Above all other things I hoped in this trial was for some sort of resolution and moving on.  It's just not happening.

Sorry, but it's no one's fault but your own that your expectations were unreasonable.

It will go on until it's over. Whether Apple won or Samsung won, this one was going to be appealed.

I don't expect it to go on for years, though. I suspect it will be essentially done by spring.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #330 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Lol why are you even arguing with a 8 post troll?

 

Maybe because the really angry/noisy/sociopathic trolls are laying low, or at least stay off this thread because they know they can post all the lame PICTURZZZ they want and it WON'T MAKE UP FOR A $1.05 BILLION JUDGMENT AGAINST THEIR INFRINGEMENT IDOL SAMSUNG. lol.giflol.giflol.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #331 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It's getting late here in the U.S., but we'll start picking up the angry UK Apple-hating trolls (of which there are seemingly many on these forums) overnight. And we'll start slapping them down in the morning.

I am guessing they're going to be thoroughly gobsmacked and rendered speechless when they wake up tomorrow (today, for them). Brilliant!

post #332 of 409

it could go that way, yes. but now Samsung has strong reasons to finally settle with Apple, close to the licensing terms we learned from testimony that Apple offered them. because Samsung knows it will lose all of Apple's component supply business if it drags this on for years only to still lose in the end - huge current sales $'s for Samsung which will grow even bigger with time. it is a bad business bet for Samsung to fight to the bitter end.

post #333 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post

He clearly didn't do a good job at the settlement discussions because they didn't settle. So if anything, by allowing the verdict to go to Jury, it shows that Tim Cook did a poor job and couldn't keep Apple's fate in his own hands.

Haven't you ever watched a lawyer drama on TV?  Settlement meetings aren't a negotiation.  Each side believes they will win and neither accepts lowball offers.  In this case I assume Cook was told by his lawyers that Apple was going to win without any doubt.  He rightfully choose to not accept a lowball Samsung offer.

 

And really "keep Apple's fate in his own hands"?  That is hilarious.  If they were trying to do that they never would have sued in the first place.

post #334 of 409

It is so rare that justice is done that when it finally is my reaction is sheer delight.

 

Samsung and the Android folk are in a severe reality-distortion field where they are feel free to copy whatever and to somehow justify it to themselves as competition. They have brainwashed themselves with this nonsense and they cannot back out of it without their entire self-image collapsing.

AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
post #335 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Anyone that disagrees with mstone should post several replies letting him know why you don't think it will.
No thanks, been there, done that, got a t-shirt. Also would not tangle with jragosta either.

Usually agree with both in principle, just sometimes don't always agree in the argument.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #336 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey View Post


How about 2 adults sitting on iPads and 2 kids streaming pandora on iTouches from my hotspot without any lag during this summer vacation on a ocean. Use your imagination.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What's an 'iTouch'?

 

 

Can iTouch your hotspot?

 

lol.gif

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #337 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It's getting late here in the U.S., but we'll start picking up the angry UK Apple-hating trolls (of which there are seemingly many on these forums) overnight. And we'll start slapping them down in the morning.

 

Haha, the circle of life (on AI).

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #338 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Who wants to take bets that this thread post count breaks all records on AI?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Anyone that disagrees with mstone should post several replies letting him know why you don't think it will.

 

Doesn't the announcement of Steve's death hold that record?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #339 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It's getting late here in the U.S., but we'll start picking up the angry UK Apple-hating trolls (of which there are seemingly many on these forums) overnight. And we'll start slapping them down in the morning.

it should be considerably easier with the recent news, chances are all they are going to come up with is the same dull crap that is being spewed all across the net right now. wah wah rectangles, wah wah, innovation, wah wah consumer, wah wah monopoly, wah wah anticompetitive, wah wah corrupt court system, wah wah bias judge, wah wah paid off jury, wah wah diaper change...

 

ya know.. the usual bs from the trolldroids

post #340 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey View Post

How about 2 adults sitting on iPads and 2 kids streaming pandora on iTouches from my hotspot without any lag during this summer vacation on a ocean. Use your imagination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What's an 'iTouch'?


Can iTouch your hotspot?

lol.gif

Can I touch your Google Spot?
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #341 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntpreece View Post

...I do respect that the theft of intellectual property is unlawful and wrong...And no, I would never knowingly buy stolen property. Android may be 'stolen' software, but it's not something I've personally stolen is it? 
We don't dislike you because you like Samsung or Android. We dislike you because of you're ethically challenged and you lack the basic ability to reason.

1) First you admit theft of intellectual propert is unlawful and wrong.
2) Then you say you didn't personally steal it so that's okay.

Those two statements cannot logically or ethically coexist.

Also you say that you wouldn't knowingly buy stolen property - are you invoking "don't ask don't tell"?

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #342 of 409

Seems like, "Everything is coming up Milhouse!," for Apple. :-)

 

post #343 of 409
I am just glad this is finally over.
post #344 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4Ev3r View Post

Another "in denial" Samesung LOSER fandroid!  Apple = WINNING!  Samesung =LOSERS!

Gotcha!

 

I am no fandroid, FYI. I can promise you that.

post #345 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post

I am just glad this is finally over.

Oh, this is just the beginning!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #346 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Whatever they decide...
Hopefully these companies can now get back to the business of making/selling quality gadgets sans all of this silly 'fear of litigation' nonsense.

 

Nothing to fear if you ain't willfully copying.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #347 of 409

Do you care to give examples of your statement [one in bold face]? Koreans in particular see Americans as their saviors during the Korean War. And, South Korea is among the staunchest US ally in Asia and Pacific. The only thing I know how Koreans hate the Japanese to the bone, the sentiment imparted and kept for generations as a result of Japanese occupation of the Korean Peninsula in the early 1900. 

 

The US regimes which had catered and pampered many iron fist dictators in the past, the likes of Saddam Hussein, Pinochet, Suharto, Marcos, Shah Iran, and others, had also produced Park Chung Hee. This military general had requested and subsequently had been given a huge economic aids by the US in the 1960's. Unlike those other named dictators who squandered billions of US aids with almost nothing to show for their respective countries, Park Chung Hee used the aid money to build his country industrial machinations and also to rebuild South Korea's education system. It was his belief that education and the heavy industry will be keys for South Korea's future. He was right. Present day Koreans are among the most highly educated populace in the world. Imagine this: It takes 40 years for the Japanese to rebuild itself after being demolished by the great war and become one of the leading countries in the world at the forefront of industry and technology. But, it takes South Korea even less time than the Japanese to raise itself from the ashes of Korean War, from one of the poorest countries in the world in the late 1950's, to become an industrial powerhouse. South Korean currently ranks as the 12th largest economy in the world. For all of these progresses, South Koreans. old and young, feel that they are deeply indebted to the US. 

 

Their drives to conquer the world of technology and other industries are actually nothing more than their drive to beat the Japanese at the world stage. I still don't quite know how you come up with your opinion about Koreans. The only white people Koreans are still very angry even to this day is the Russians for the one infamy in the 1980's. The Korean Airline jetliner Flight 007 was shot down by a Russian interceptor Sukhoi SU-15 in 1983 for allegedly trespassing the Russian airspace. All 269 passengers aboard the plane perished. Wouldn't you get angry, furious and saddened had that happened to your own compatriots?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

My guess on what is going on here from the considerable Korean diaspora that I see around me is that there is a deep-seeted Korean racism towards whites, Americans in particular


Edited by mcrs - 8/26/12 at 4:35am
post #348 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Whatever they decide...

Hopefully these companies can now get back to the business of making/selling quality gadgets sans all of this silly 'fear of litigation' nonsense.

Nothing to fear if you ain't willfully copying.

That is so insanely, obviously simple.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #349 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


That is so insanely, obviously simple.

 

Yeah, you'd think that, but... some people are pretty dense.

Microsoft isn't "living in fear" of Apple. Nor is Nokia, HP, Amazon, RIM. They know Apple gave Samsung plenty of warning, chances to license and settle out of court. DaHater has as much a distorted worldview as Samsung. In his world, innovation means "everyone copies everyone."

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #350 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You just can't resist feeding FNTs can you?

When they are still crisp the FNTies are best for breakfast.

LOL
post #351 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post




Can iTouch your hotspot?

lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Can I touch your Google Spot?

Had some strong drinks today?

Well I can understand.

I had my share too! LOL

Good luck finding your spots.
post #352 of 409
To those of you wondering if this thread is likely to become the longest on AI: it isn't. Not by a long shot. The accolade of longest thread currently goes to the "Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)" thread, which is 4651 posts long.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #353 of 409

sammy

With many respect. Why you Americans are happy of this? Samsung is not affecting you as consumers because you are 100% free of chose the product you want, so if you don't like Samsung, just ignore it. Personally I like Samsung because it is the best manofacturer with the best hardware for Android, and I love Android because it provides me a freedom that IOS doesn't give me. In the other hand, maybe some of you can say that you are happy because Apple is 100% american and that is good for your economy, but Google and Motorola are also American and you hate their products too.
Personally and with a huge respect to the Apple community I can say that I dont like IOS because their antisharing policies and their lack of customization and for that reason I think Android is superior.
I also think that getting happy because of this is a like be happy of to have less choises to select.
If you reply to my message, please remember that i was friendly, so I as a fan of Android expect the same from you.
Regards...
post #354 of 409

I have three Samsung TV's and a fridge, but they needed to have their ass handed to them.  At least try to be different.  

The devils that drive us do not discriminate
Reply
The devils that drive us do not discriminate
Reply
post #355 of 409
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

To those of you wondering if this thread is likely to become the longest on AI: it isn't. Not by a long shot. The accolade of longest thread currently goes to the "Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)" thread, which is 4651 posts long.

Thanks for the update! 4651 posts!! Holy Cow!!

Just had a sneak peek at the engadget site. Their whining about this verdict is now over 3000 posts long. Absolutely entertaining!
post #356 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Whoa. That seems awfully fast for such a complicated case. I mean complicated in the amount of information and instructions presented to the Jurors not the charge itself.
Methinks this might not be good, hope I am wrong.

Glad I was wrong.
The popcorn needs more butter.
;-P
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #357 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

As much as it's a good thing that Samsung was called out for being the blatant Apple copying machine that they are, it's still tragic that software patents for trivial "inventions" (like one-click shopping) are rampant in the U.S.
Software patent law needs to be reformed, or software patents need to be abolished altogether.
Also, how much you want to bet this gets quickly appealed?

 

Yeah, like something like that would never happen in Europe:-

 

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?FT=D&date=20080924&DB=worldwide.espacenet.com&locale=en_EP&CC=EP&NR=1215867B1&KC=B1&ND=4

 

Samsung is suing Apple over this in Germany.

 

:)

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #358 of 409

Looks like the jury ruled for Samsung on the iPad infringement claim.
I guess that makes it something like:

Apple-15  Samsung-1

 
post #359 of 409

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Not always. Apple has managed to get appeals heard and decided in several months in this trial.

 

Those are interlocutory appeals, which are a different animal and heard far more rapidly.  

 

Any injunctions that now may be ordered will have a rapid appeal process as well.  But the appeal of the actual jury verdict and various other decisions by the judge at trial will take, at minimum, a year.  Federal courts are not as bad as state courts, but they are clogged as well, and that is simply the minimum amount of time it takes to fully brief all issues, schedule oral argument, and get a decision.  18 months, give to take, is probably more likely.

 

Then, if there is any portion of the case that is overturned on appeal, depending on the ruling, it may have to be remanded back to the district court for further proceedings.  This, then, opens up the door to winding up before the court of appeals again.

 

Trust me, this could go on for quite a long time.  Just a few weeks ago I was researching an april 2012 district court opinion from a case that began in 1998, and that case is still not done either!  Obviously that is an extreme example, but my point is that you simply never know, especially when a billion dollars is on the line.

A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #360 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

You meant ALL 150+ 4G LTE patents it got off Nortel? Armed only with these, Apple is indeed screwed. Thankfully, Apple has Qualcomm on its side for the so-called "patent exhaustion" defense, since Apple is using Qualcomm's chip. That being said, any 4G LTE patents outside of Qualcomm's reach, literally thousands of them by numerous parties [Nokia, Samsung, Sony, Ericsson, Panasonic, Interdigital, LG, Motorola,...], will be Apple's nightmare. Since Apple is in aggressive and offensive modes in its "thermonuclear" patent war, you can be sure those companies inside the bracket will be on similar modes as well.

 

Check this out, for some additional readings:

- I-runway 4G LTE Patent Landscape Analysis

- Article One Partners: LTE Essential Patents Now...

- Network World's Watchout Apple...

- Techipm: Mobile/Wireless Patents In Litigation

- Seeking Alpha: Nokia's Patent Goldmine

 

So, Apple has decided to go "thermonuclear", and this will be its ensuing radioactive cloud entrapping Apple thoroughly in it. 

 

 

So the patents will be pooled for the standard, licensed under FRAND, Apple's contribution of "150+ patents" is more than enough to get them in the club.

 

Apple also has cross licensing agreements with Nokia, who stand to do quite well out of todays win, seeing as how they never took the Android bait and so avoided the trap.

 

Total FRAND fail, akin to sitting on your own H-Bomb and pushing the button.

 

"It only takes one bullet to kill" said Samsung's lawyers, who are also Google's lawyers (via Motorola) and HTC's lawyers.

 

Quinn Emmanuel's reputation is plummeting after all these losses, they better be making good money now because who would choose a bunch of losers to represent them.

 

The Android "nukes" have been defused.


Edited by hill60 - 8/25/12 at 5:33am
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung guilty of patent infringement, Apple awarded nearly $1.05B [u]