or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung says verdict is not an Apple win, but a 'loss for the American consumer' [u]

Samsung says verdict is not an Apple win, but a 'loss for the American consumer' [u]

post #1 of 162
Minutes after the Apple v. Samsung jury handed down a pro-Apple verdict on Friday, Samsung released a statement decrying the ruling, saying the judgment was less of a win for Apple as it was a loss for consumers.

Editor's note: This story has been updated to include Apple's remarks regarding Friday's verdict.

In the statement, first reported by The Verge, Samsung hints that while Apple may have won this battle, the war is not yet over as a number of suits are still in play around the world.

From the statement:

Today's verdict should not be viewed as a win for Apple, but as a loss for the American consumer. It will lead to fewer choices, less innovation, and potentially higher prices. It is unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly over rectangles with rounded corners, or technology that is being improved every day by Samsung and other companies. Consumers have the right to choices, and they know what they are buying when they purchase Samsung products. This is not the final word in this case or in battles being waged in courts and tribunals around the world, some of which have already rejected many of Apple's claims. Samsung will continue to innovate and offer choices for the consumer.

Samsung's statement is in response to a verdict which found the company owing over $1.05 billion in damages to Apple for infringing patents related to device design and software.

Apple has also responded in a statement issued to The New York Times, calling the verdict a message that "stealing isn't right."

From Apple's statement:

We are grateful to the jury for their service and for investing the time to listen to our story and we were thrilled to be able to finally tell it. The mountain of evidence presented during the trail showed that Samsung?s copying went far deeper than even we knew. The lawsuits between Apple and Samsung were about much more than patents or money. They were about values. At Apple, we value originality and innovation and pour our lives into making the best products on earth. We make these products to delight our customers, not for our competitors to flagrantly copy. We applaud the court for finding Samsung?s behavior willful and for sending a loud and clear message that stealing isn?t right.

post #2 of 162

Blah fucking blah.

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

post #3 of 162

QQ MOAR.

post #4 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

..... Samsung will continue to innovate and offer choices for the consumer.

LOL. What has Samesung ever innovated?  All's they do is copy Apple and others.  That is why their name is: Same-sung.

post #5 of 162

Cry me a river. Now clam up and come up with something innovative that you can patent, in which everyone wants. What's that? You have never done that? Too bad.

post #6 of 162

Note to Samsung: get off your arses and create something without stealing someone else's IP. This is a good day for innovation, it should lead to more choice for consumers.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #7 of 162
Quote:

...Today's verdict should not be viewed as a win for Apple, but as a loss for the American consumer. It will lead to fewer choices, less innovation, and potentially higher prices...

Nothing like Samsung (or others) admitting they can't innovate.

Why not just make something better than Apple's offering?

post #8 of 162

In fact it is a win for the consumer because shameless copycats will now have to come up with something original.

post #9 of 162

It will lead to fewer choices… 

Well, yeah. We now get to choose between actual innovation and actual innovation instead of no innovation.

…less innovation…

Only because you were pretending to innovate before and are now legally shown to have never been doing so at all.

…potentially higher prices.

[Link to that thread where Apple's wanting a really cheap iPhone unsubsidized]

It is unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly over rectangles with rounded corners…

No, frigging wait, seriously?! SERIOUSLY?! Samsung themselves said, "rectangles with rounded corners"?! THEY SAID THAT?! And more importantly, they said it after the Galaxy Tab was found to NOT BE INFRINGING ON IT?!

BA H AH AH AH AH AH AHA HAH AH!

"Apathetic bloody company. I've no sympathy at all!"

And spea… speaking of monopolies, YOU WERE FOUND TO BE USING YOUR PATENTS MONOPOLISTICALLY!

Samsung will continue to innovate and offer choices for the consumer.

Well, you just go ahead and "continue" that.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #10 of 162

"It is unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly over rounded corners and rectangles."

What incredible arrogance and ignorance.

A disgusting company !

Grocery Stores FEAR Him
Grocery Stores FEAR Him
post #11 of 162

Agreed.  I am in the market for a new fridge...it won't be a Samsung.

post #12 of 162

They actually claim they were IMPROVING Apples technology !!

I'm . . . .almost speechless . . .

Grocery Stores FEAR Him
Grocery Stores FEAR Him
post #13 of 162

Samsung just proved it is a real "loser" in more ways than one.

post #14 of 162

Does the mean we’ll get more originality from Samsung? More innovation, choice, and variety in the marketplace, and less lazy copycatting? Sounds like a win for consumers to me!

post #15 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

LOL. What has Samesung ever innovated?  All's they do is copy Apple and others.  That is why their name is: Same-sung.

Bigger screens and pens.... 1tongue.gif
post #16 of 162

Yeah.. In Samsung twisted logic, innovation means copying the competition.

post #17 of 162

This event has long time impact on how business should be done. It is not just who-win-or-who-lose. There has been so messy in the past how technology companies doing their business. This is not consumer's choice issue at all. Samsung just cannot do business or make money just in a way to copy or improve Apple's lead.

Actually, this is not a bad thing for Samsung at all. Nor Apple would be safe lead in mobile devices in the future. This will force competition in innovation. Whoever have the most innovation in technology will win consumers. In the end, consumer will have much more choices!

post #18 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

that was my favourite part too. Not only thieves but delusional 

post #19 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

"It is unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly over rounded corners and rectangles."

What incredible arrogance and ignorance.

A disgusting company !

Well maybe they said that to fuel the android fans who think this case is about rectangles. Funny thing is Apple did not win the "rectangle with round squares" patent.
post #20 of 162
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post
Bigger screens and pens.... 1tongue.gif

You misspelled 'penis'. Or were you not referencing the compensation issues some phones seem to have? lol.gif

post #21 of 162
Quote:

Minutes after the Apple v. Samsung jury handed down a pro-Apple verdict on Friday, Samsung released a statement decrying the ruling, saying the judgment was less of a win for Apple as it was a loss for consumers.

From the statement:

Today's verdict should not be viewed as a win for Apple, but as a loss for the American consumer.

Yep, just exactly like World War 2:

Not to be viewed as a win for the Allies, but as a loss for Allied servicemen everywhere...

post #22 of 162

LOL, Samsung are really desperate now .... at least companies like Nokia did true innovation rather than copy others.... Samsung is officially exposed as distant third tier in the smartphone market... iPhone 5, can't wait for that baby! 

post #23 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Yep, just exactly like World War 2:

Not to be viewed as a win for the Allies, but as a loss for Allied servicemen everywhere...

lol, perfect.

post #24 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srice View Post

Agreed.  I am in the market for a new fridge...it won't be a Samsung.

Good because Samsung is ripping GE and Whirlpool off. 

post #25 of 162

i think im not the only one who got a little tingly inside and overfilled with joy when they saw this.... serves samsung right... if your not going to innovate then you deserve to get your ass sued for copying....

post #26 of 162

If making Android run slower, not updating the OS for devices just months to weeks old, or producing display panels that can't reproduce skin tones is innovation, then Samsung doesn't know innovation.

post #27 of 162

If Samsung is forced to come up with their own ideas, instead of taking the easy way out and copying the market leader, it should lead to more innovation for the American consumer, not less.

post #28 of 162

What an impressive win for Apple. Amazing.

Samsung trolls should thin considerably now.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #29 of 162
post #30 of 162
I am curious to know where this leaves Android? Surely Apple can now go after all the iOS IP Google stole covered by this trial.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #31 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post
Funny thing is Apple did not win the "rectangle with round squares" patent.

Yes, and let's hope a major news agency has the guts to call Samsung out on that.

post #32 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Craven View Post

i think im not the only one who got a little tingly inside and overfilled with joy when they saw this.... serves samsung right... if your not going to innovate then you deserve to get your ass sued for copying....

What about Google?  I think it should be forced to pay at least some part of the damages that Samsung will have to pay.

post #33 of 162
Nice spin control. Less than 22 hours for deliberations? Methinks the jury thought Apple had a slam-dunk case.

I wonder if the judge will triple the damages due to willful infringement - 3 Billion would be very interesting indeed!
post #34 of 162
U mad, foreign bros?
post #35 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

What about Google?  I think it should be forced to pay at least some part of the damages that Samsung will have to pay.

I depends. Were the findings against parts that were Samsung unique or Android core? I don't know enough about Android to answer that - I'm sure someone will do an analysis...
post #36 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Samsung trolls should thin considerably now.

HAAHAHAHAHA!

I do admire your optimism, however naive it may be....
post #37 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

If Samsung is forced to come up with their own ideas, instead of taking the easy way out and copying the market leader, it should lead to more innovation for the American consumer, not less.

Ding ding ding!

What really amuses me is all these people who can't stand Apple - unless some other company blatantly rips off their ideas. Then they are perfectly OK and Apple's jerks for stopping others from copying them. Ah, the hypocrisy...

Notice Apple isn't suing Microsoft, RIM or HP (WebOS)....
post #38 of 162

so what Sammy's saying is that we don't know how to move mobile design/innovations forward without Apple showing us the way. Even though we've been in the biz longer than Apple has, we don't know anything.

post #39 of 162

When Michael Phelps' finished first in Olympic races, these were not "gold medals" for the American "Swim Team", but "missed opportunities" for swimming spectators.

When Wayne Gretzky put the puck in the net, these were not so-called "goals" for the Edmonton Oilers, ...

We could write these all night.  

post #40 of 162
Can I upgrade my Samsung phone to the latest version of Android? No? Why not? You said you were good for consumers, right?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung says verdict is not an Apple win, but a 'loss for the American consumer' [u]