or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple 'confirmed' to hold iPad mini event in October

Apple 'confirmed' to hold iPad mini event in October

post #1 of 108
After introducing its new iPhone in September, Apple will hold a separate event in October to introduce its new, smaller iPad, a new report has been able to confirm.

John Paczkowski of All Things D reported on Saturday that the event for Apple's so-called "iPad mini" will be held in October, after the anticipated Sept. 12 iPhone event. That means Apple has two "blockbuster events" lined up for product debuts this fall.

"Only after the next generation iPhone is out the door and on sale will Apple announce the smaller iPad it's been working on," Paczkowski wrote. "That device, which is expected to have a display of less than eight inches, will be uncrated at a second special event, which sources said is currently scheduled for October."

The anonymous sources who spoke with Paczkowski confirm earlier comments from both Jim Dalrymple of The Loop and John Gruber of Daring Fireball, both of which indicated this week that they expect Apple to hold two separate events for the new iPhone and iPad mini. Gruber said an event in the first or second week in October would be in line with iPod events that Apple has held for the last decade.
post #2 of 108

Yes, the one for which we've seen nothing but third-party guesses cases.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #3 of 108
So what other products will be announced at which event?

What will be the name of this smaller tablet?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #4 of 108
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
So what other products will be announced at which event?

I wonder if they think it's iPhone+iPods and iPad or iPhone and iPad+iPods…

Maybe the iPods should have a third event in November.

Or each iPod can get its own event.

September: iPhone

October: iPad mini

November: iPod touch

December: iPod nano

January: iPod shuffle

February: real iPad

March: real iPad ships

April: iPod nano mini

May: iPod shuffle mini

June: iPhone nano (WE WERE ALWAYS RIGHT)

July: iPad mini mini

August: iPad mini (not iPad mini, but regular iPad mini, iPad mini)

September: iPhone 4 again, because numbers.

post #5 of 108
Quote:

What will be the name of this smaller tablet?

I'm going with iPad mini, that's the most obvious choice.

post #6 of 108
The name of the new mini iPad?

I'm sure: the i/iiPad (aka the halfpad)
post #7 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The iTouch, because it will replace Apple's currently best selling device to kids!

/S

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

post #8 of 108
Quote:

umm...how about the iPod Whopper? 'Cause it's gonna whop the hell out of all the 7" tablets. 

Besides, it take two hands to handle the Whopper.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #9 of 108

Did you see the Twitter fight over credit that ensued? Apple bloggers finger-pointing .... all about who speculates and who is truly connected when it comes to Apple events.

post #10 of 108

And this is not confirmed.

post #11 of 108
How do anonymous sources "confirm" anything? And why does it read like Apple confirmed it? Not sure about the quality of writing here these days.
post #12 of 108

I like iPad Air.  The idea being (analogous to the MacBook Air) that you give up some screen real estate, resolution and battery life to get a much thinner and lighter device.

By the way, doesn't seem like the confidence level on this one is unusually high?  I know rumors always fly fast and thick, and frequently don't pan out, but some pretty well sourced Apple pundits have all but said they know things for sure.  John Paczkowski  just flat out says "confirmed" and "it's going to happen", which he never does unless it's a done deal.  My impression is that in this case Cook's Apple is willing to do some anonymous background stuff in order to throttle sales of the Nexus 7.

They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #13 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

How do anonymous sources "confirm" anything? And why does it read like Apple confirmed it? Not sure about the quality of writing here these days.

Sounds like a controlled leak.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #14 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's the thing, which goes where? I'd think the iPods go with the iPhone and the Macs with the iPad, but I certainly don't feel strongly about that, especially when we're considering a new product in the lineup.

Nov and Dec are typically dead months for releasing new products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/152132/apple-confirmed-to-hold-ipad-mini-event-in-october#post_2175765"]

iPad mini seems the most reasonable to me, too, but I've heard some reasonable arguments that Mini and Air should stay with the Mac line and that neither are a good name to market a smaller tablet from Apple. If they do choose something else I'd think it would be to focus the branding on a specific usage type for marketing.

post #15 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I like iPad Air.  The idea being (analogous to the MacBook Air) that you give up some screen real estate, resolution and battery life to get a much thinner and lighter device.

By the way, doesn't seem like the confidence level on this one is unusually high?  I know rumors always fly fast and thick, and frequently don't pan out, but some pretty well sourced Apple pundits have all but said they know things for sure.  My impression is that in this case Cook's Apple is willing to do some anonymous background stuff in order to throttle sales of the Nexus 7.

Totally, iPad Air FTW. Not /s. That's actually a pretty cool name for a tablet.

post #16 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

Just like the Apple TV that Eddy Cue supposedly said wasn't coming and then we find out from the source that he never said any such thing. Reporting on rumor sites can be quite shoddy at times.
post #17 of 108
Quote:
iPad mini seems the most reasonable to me, too, but I've heard some reasonable arguments that Mini and Air should stay with the Mac line and that neither are a good name to market a smaller tablet from Apple. If they do choose something else I'd think it would be to focus the branding on a specific usage type for marketing.

Mini is not exclusive to the Mac line, there's an iPod mini, so iPad mini would work out just fine. Air is obviously exclusive to the Macbook, and I think that it should stay that way for the moment.

post #18 of 108
Quote:

My impression is that in this case Cook's Apple is willing to do some anonymous background stuff in order to throttle sales of the Nexus 7.

There is also that Kindle event that was recently announced. I expect Amazon to have made the Fire a considerably better product YoY. Perhaps even with a price drop.

I like Air the best but I do think Mini is most likely despite Mini making it sound small and Air making it sound lightweight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/152132/apple-confirmed-to-hold-ipad-mini-event-in-october#post_2175785"]
Mini is not exclusive to the Mac line, there's an iPod mini, so iPad mini would work out just fine. Air is obviously exclusive to the Macbook, and I think that it should stay that way for the moment.

Your original point was that it can't be Air because it's used with a Mac product. I pointed out that Mini was also used with a Mac product. Now you're claiming that it can't be Air because there is no iPod Air. That is irrational. It's like saying back in 2004 there could never be a Mac Mini in 2005 because there is now an iPod Mini.

And where do you get this exclusivity claim? Where is it written that Air can only be used with Mac nomenclature? It's currently used on only one product by Apple. That's it! Nothing more! It doesn't mean that no product could possibly use it if Apple's marketing felt it was the best name for the product.

post #19 of 108
Quote:

Your original point was that it can't be Air because it's used with a Mac product. I pointed out that Mini was also used with a Mac product. Now you're claiming that it can't be Air because there is no iPod Air. That is irrational. It's like saying back in 2004 there could never be a Mac Mini in 2005 because there is now an iPod Mini.
And where do you get this exclusivity claim? Where is it written that Air can only be used with Mac nomenclature? It's currently used on only one product by Apple. That's it! Nothing more! It doesn't mean that no product could possibly use it if Apple's marketing felt it was the best name for the product.

I'm simply saying that mini already appears throughout multiple product lines, from Mac Mini to iPod Mini. Air is only associated with one product line, their Macbook Air laptop.

Apple could very well release some other "Air" product in the future, who knows, I'm not claiming that they won't. I just think that it's not a great name for the smaller iPad which they will be releasing soon.

post #20 of 108
Quote:

I'm simply saying that mini already appears throughout multiple product lines, from Mac Mini to iPod Mini. Air is only associated with one product line, their Macbook Air laptop.

Apple could very well release some other "Air" product in the future, who knows, I'm not claiming that they won't. I just think that it's not a great name for the smaller iPad which they will be releasing soon.

I think they will just call it iPad. We don't have different names for 11" and 13" Air or 13" and 15" MBP. Of course then what would the size reference be for this new iPad? 7" or 8" or 7.84"?

post #21 of 108
Quote:

You left out the iPad Maxi.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

post #22 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think they will just call it iPad. We don't have different names for 11" and 13" Air or 13" and 15" MBP. Of course then what would the size reference be for this new iPad? 7" or 8" or 7.84"?

I don't think that they will just call it an iPad, as iPads are much more of a generic appliance product than their laptops. A grandmother is not going to walk into Best Buy and ask for an iPad 7.85", but they will walk in and buy an iPad mini with no problems. Either way, we'll find out for sure in October, according to the "rumors" at least.

post #23 of 108
Quote:

I like iPad Air.  ...to get a much thinner and lighter device.

iPad Air...is that the one with wings?

post #24 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplication View Post

I don't get it...

post #25 of 108
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post
I don't get it...

Feminine stuff.

post #26 of 108
Quote:

I don't get it...

Obviously you don't watch an excessive amount of tv like I do, otherwise you too would be overwhelmed by feminine product commercials.  Hey, when they originally named it the iPad, you knew these jokes were coming. (notice that I didn't say "good" jokes)

post #27 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplication View Post

lolz

post #28 of 108

Please tell me it's not true. I really don't think that there is a place for iPad Mini. It is a lame format size - unless if it is strictly for eBook purpose or a giant universal remote control for different things. Though I do think they are targeting for a family where mom and dad already has the iPad and kids wants one for themselves and it is targeted for them and that is why it is right before Christmas! Now that I think about it! Go for it Apple! I portfolio is just waiting to get another bump after the one we are going to get on Monday!

post #29 of 108

So it's confirmed it's still a rumor?

Good stuff!

post #30 of 108
Quote:

So it's confirmed it's still a rumor?

Good stuff!

Someone finally gets it right. There is no such thing as a 'confirmed rumor'

post #31 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

Please tell me it's not true. I really don't think that there is a place for iPad Mini. It is a lame format size - unless if it is strictly for eBook purpose or a giant universal remote control for different things. Though I do think they are targeting for a family where mom and dad already has the iPad and kids wants one for themselves and it is targeted for them and that is why it is right before Christmas! Now that I think about it! Go for it Apple! I portfolio is just waiting to get another bump after the one we are going to get on Monday!

If they pick the right size, it shouldn't be too bad. Here's an 8" Android tablet that is styled a lot like the iPad and it gives a good idea of what to expect:

Very child- and purse-friendly in size I'd say.
post #32 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

Someone finally gets it right. There is no such thing as a 'confirmed rumor'

Sure, but we can judge quality of sources and how willing they are to say things outright.  The tone of referenced article makes me think that he's gotten off the record confirmation from someone at Apple, so he's not at liberty to just come right out and say "Apple told me."  This allows Apple to maintain its aura of not commenting on unreleased products while sending stronger than usual signals to the market to hold off on choosing a 7" tablet till we see what Apple has up its sleeve.

We've all seen the rumor mill at work, and noticed how many of these "sure things" don't pan out.  But if you go back and look, the false leads don't typically take the form of someone with as much to lose in credibility as Paczkowski to flatly state "confirmed" and that "sources say"  "it's so."  There's no wiggle room in that level of confirmation, no "I'm told that it's likely" or "sources indicate" or "what I'm hearing."  Just, yes, absolutely, done deal.  So unless he has some pretty damn solid leads I don't think he'd go that far out on a limb.

post #33 of 108

personally i'd rather see them drop the price of the 10 inch and add a 13 or 15 inch ipad

i use it to read lots of pdfs and mags and i'd rather have a larger screen...

post #34 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If they pick the right size, it shouldn't be too bad. Here's an 8" Android tablet that is styled a lot like the iPad and it gives a good idea of what to expect:Very child- and purse-friendly in size I'd say.

I had the earlier iPad and now iPad 3 and they are fine for home but I never take them with me when on the go because they are too big. I take mass transit to work and carry a small-ish backpack. Almost all the men onboard are carrying some attache or bag of some sort or another so it is not just for purses. All the kids are carrying backpacks to school too. The full size iPad is a little too big and heavy for many small backpacks. The fact that the new mini is not going to be pocketable only means that it is simply not part of the design or target market. I don't think that will affect its success one bit. I expect it to sell very well.

post #35 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

I don't get it too... iPad mini = iPod maxi ? Are they giving up the iPod and filling the gap with an iPad?

post #36 of 108
Quote:

I like Air the best but I do think Mini is most likely despite Mini making it sound small and Air making it sound lightweight.

It's currently used on only one product by Apple. That's it! Nothing more! It doesn't mean that no product could possibly use it if Apple's marketing felt it was the best name for the product.

Well, I think you sort of countered your own point right there.

The Air was the appropriate name for that product, to differentiate it from other laptops, which were so much heavier at that time.

In the case of iPad, its weight has never been a weakness, so touting the iPad mini in that respect doesn't stress its improvement, or anything unique about it.

I always also sort of thought that the "Air" designation, aside from weight, was intended to mark its departure from physical media,

Apple's continuing direction,

and, in that respect, the two sizes of iPad are not different,

so, again, to me at least, calling it the iPad Air doesn't speak to its "nature" the way MacBook Air does.

post #37 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Well, I think you sort of countered your own point right there.

The Air was the appropriate name for that product, to differentiate it from other laptops, which were so much heavier at that time.

In the case of iPad, its weight has never been a weakness, so touting the iPad mini in that respect doesn't stress its improvement, or anything unique about it.

I always also sort of thought that the "Air" designation, aside from weight, was intended to mark its departure from physical media,

Apple's continuing direction,

and, in that respect, the two sizes of iPad are not different,

so, again, to me at least, calling it the iPad Air doesn't speak to its "nature" the way MacBook Air does.

Those are pretty good points.  I like Gruber's reasoning on this, however, that it's possible that an 8" iPad will be noticeably thinner and lighter than the existing model.  Enough so that Apple might want to foreground those attributes with the "Air" designator, implying (as in the case of the laptop) that you're trading some stuff (screen size, resolution) for super portability.  You're right, there can't be the differential that exists between laptops, but perhaps the story Apple wants to tell is that an iPad Air is insanely portable, which makes up for the fact that it's a tad cramped.

Note that these kind of tradeoffs don't apply to the other "Mini" products in Apple's lineup-- the Mac Mini has exactly the same (potential) screen real estate as every other Mac and portability doesn't apply, while the iPod simply shrank the enclosure and switched to flash memory while giving nothing up in terms of display.  The only directly analogous product that trades screen size for weight and thinness is the MacBook Air.

post #38 of 108
Quote:

Sure, but we can judge quality of sources and how willing they are to say things outright.  The tone of referenced article makes me think that he's gotten off the record confirmation from someone at Apple, so he's not at liberty to just come right out and say "Apple told me."  This allows Apple to maintain its aura of not commenting on unreleased products while sending stronger than usual signals to the market to hold off on choosing a 7" tablet till we see what Apple has up its sleeve.

We've all seen the rumor mill at work, and noticed how many of these "sure things" don't pan out.  But if you go back and look, the false leads don't typically take the form of someone with as much to lose in credibility as Paczkowski to flatly state "confirmed" and that "sources say"  "it's so."  There's no wiggle room in that level of confirmation, no "I'm told that it's likely" or "sources indicate" or "what I'm hearing."  Just, yes, absolutely, done deal.  So unless he has some pretty damn solid leads I don't think he'd go that far out on a limb.

Well yes, but I can interpretate it different ways.

post #39 of 108
Quote:

If they do have 2 separate events there probably will be a few "one more thing" type products. Maybe we'll see that $200 prepaid iPhone at the iPhone event and the 13 inch Retina Macbook at the iPad event?

iPods for the most part are almost not news worthy unless we see a true iPod Nano Watch concept that beats all the others.

post #40 of 108
Quote:

Those are pretty good points.  I like Gruber's reasoning on this, however, that it's possible that an 8" iPad will be noticeably thinner and lighter than the existing model.  Enough so that Apple might want to foreground those attributes with the "Air" designator, implying (as in the case of the laptop) that you're trading some stuff (screen size, resolution) for super portability.  You're right, there can't be the differential that exists between laptops, but perhaps the story Apple wants to tell is that an iPad Air is insanely portable, which makes up for the fact that it's a tad cramped.

Note that these kind of tradeoffs don't apply to the other "Mini" products in Apple's lineup-- the Mac Mini has exactly the same (potential) screen real estate as every other Mac and portability doesn't apply, while the iPod simply shrank the enclosure and switched to flash memory while giving nothing up in terms of display.  The only directly analogous product that trades screen size for weight and thinness is the MacBook Air.

That makes a lot of sense, but if they market the "Air" as more portable wouldn't that imply that the bigger model is not portable? I mean the iPad's main selling feature is its portability and ease of use over a laptop.

If it's marketed as a Mini it'll be seen as everything the big iPad is except in a smaller form factor. That might be better from a marketing standpoint for both iPads

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple 'confirmed' to hold iPad mini event in October