or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple 'confirmed' to hold iPad mini event in October
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple 'confirmed' to hold iPad mini event in October - Page 2

post #41 of 108

Nothing here is "confirmed" until invitations are sent out by Apple.

post #42 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

How do anonymous sources "confirm" anything? And why does it read like Apple confirmed it? Not sure about the quality of writing here these days.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sounds like a controlled leak.

 

The title is misleading, I was under the impression it was confirm by Apple.

post #43 of 108

IF this device comes to fruition, it will be, hands down, THE item on every kids holiday list.

 

You hear that sound?

 

That's the sound of Nintendo and Sony shutting the doors on their handheld divisions.

 

BOOM goes the dynamite!

   I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

Reply

   I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

Reply
post #44 of 108

According to TFA, "Apple declined to comment on its plans."

 

 

Which means it's UNCONFIRMED.  Not to nitpick, but really AppleInsider, please don't pander to hit whores.

post #45 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

IF this device comes to fruition, it will be, hands down, THE item on every kids holiday list.

You hear that sound?

That's the sound of Nintendo and Sony shutting the doors on their handheld divisions.

BOOM goes the dynamite!

Yep. Assuming the price is somewhere around $299 ($100 below the iPad 2), the demand will be humongous.

The really funny part is when Tallest's kids start begging him for one.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #46 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

That makes a lot of sense, but if they market the "Air" as more portable wouldn't that imply that the bigger model is not portable? I mean the iPad's main selling feature is its portability and ease of use over a laptop.

 

If it's marketed as a Mini it'll be seen as everything the big iPad is except in a smaller form factor. That might be better from a marketing standpoint for both iPads

 

Quite possibly, but I don't think Apple means to imply the 15" MacBook Pros aren't portable just because they offer the Air.  The idea is that if you seek something as portable as possible, you will be willing to make some tradeoffs.  So I could see the  "big" iPad as continuing as the flagship, with the iPad Air giving you that extra dose of portability (again, with implicit tradeoffs, in this case screen size and resolution).  So if you're doing some Garage Band work on the couch, or meeting with clients at a coffee shop, or doing a presentation from Keynote, perhaps the Retina iPad is a good choice.  But if you want something to take camping, or on the bus, or just something cheaper (remember, the 11" MacBook Air is now in the old MacBook slot as the entry level Apple laptop) then you might like an iPad Air.

They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #47 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

Why, in the name of Zeus, are they doing this ....  
Why? 
Why?!?  
NOBODY WANTS/NEEDS A FRACKING "iPAD MINI" 
Jesus ....

I'm betting 1 million+ sold on the first weekend. (assuming of course it is real)

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #48 of 108
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
I'm betting 1 million+ sold on the first weekend. (assuming of course it is real)

 

Same here. Maybe multiples.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #49 of 108

I don't believe it, but we'll see.  I'll toss my Kindle for one.  My Kindle has gone wonky lately asking me to download all my apps again - what a pile of junk.  I'd believe Apple's polished iOS wouldn't give me such a headache.  Bring on the Mini iPad!

post #50 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Did you see the Twitter fight over credit that ensued? Apple bloggers finger-pointing .... all about who speculates and who is truly connected when it comes to Apple events.

 

Between who
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #51 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Well, I think you sort of countered your own point right there.

The Air was the appropriate name for that product, to differentiate it from other laptops, which were so much heavier at that time.

In the case of iPad, its weight has never been a weakness, so touting the iPad mini in that respect doesn't stress its improvement, or anything unique about it.

I always also sort of thought that the "Air" designation, aside from weight, was intended to mark its departure from physical media,
Apple's continuing direction,
and, in that respect, the two sizes of iPad are not different,
so, again, to me at least, calling it the iPad Air doesn't speak to its "nature" the way MacBook Air does.

But weight is an issue. I think that weight is a pinnacle component to making a smaller tablet work. It needs to be very light. It needs to be so light that you can hold it one hand and never wonder if it's too heavy. I think that nearly every aspect of usability on a smaller tablet will revolve around the weight.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #52 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

I don't get it...

Really? That needs to be explained?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #53 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

Someone finally gets it right. There is no such thing as a 'confirmed rumor'

So I know you can be overwhelmed and you can be underwhelmed, but can you just be whelmed?

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #54 of 108
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
So I know you can be overwhelmed and you can be underwhelmed, but can you just be whelmed?

 

Ziggy can.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #55 of 108

I want this so badly I can taste it. I want it more than the new iPhone. 

post #56 of 108
I bet for iPad Air too. Will be good Christmas gift for kids.
post #57 of 108

So where does this leave the 13in Retina MacBook, iMac, and MacPro launches?

post #58 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Yep. Assuming the price is somewhere around $299 ($100 below the iPad 2), the demand will be humongous.
The really funny part is when Tallest's kids start begging him for one.

 

Good one.

   I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

Reply

   I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

Reply
post #59 of 108
Originally Posted by pinkunicorn View Post
So where does this leave the 13in Retina MacBook, iMac, and MacPro launches?

 

 

Next year.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #60 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Really? That needs to be explained?

Yes. Really.

post #61 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

But weight is an issue. I think that weight is a pinnacle component to making a smaller tablet work. It needs to be very light. It needs to be so light that you can hold it one hand and never wonder if it's too heavy. I think that nearly every aspect of usability on a smaller tablet will revolve around the weight.

Not to be argumentative, but I just don't see people staggering around under the oppressive weight of their iPads.  

 

I think the current design is light enough for comfortable one-handed use, and will, itself, only get lighter.

 

So, inconvenient heft isn't the reason for a smaller iPad, I don't think...if it were, wouldn't nearly all the people who opt for other tablets opt for the smaller sizes?

 

Come to think of it, I'm not sure what the reason is, unless it was simply to crush the Kindle-sized market, and dominate that slightly lower price range.

 

Or, maybe, there really won't be one, after all.

post #62 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Yes. Really.

There are women's pads that have wings on them, wings also allow flight through the air.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #63 of 108

If this happens (and I won't believe it until Tim Cook is standing up there with one in his hand, giving out a release date) the question I have is this:  How much difference do you think there is in the cost of components between an iPad and an iPad Mini?

 

I mean, unless it's really, really significant, then the price difference isn't going to be all that great.  That is, assuming Apple wants to maintain a healthy margin.

 

Or is it just that they see a market where people just want something smaller?

 

I dunno.  I guess I just don't get the whole "mini" idea.

post #64 of 108
This "analysis" based on inside info does not convert any of these guys (Paczkowski, Dalrymple and Gruber) in gurus or prophets, it was obvious that Apple would make two events if iPad Mini and iPhone were to be released this year. Also there are a lot of product updates that can't be shown in one single event for a lot of reasons that go from too much in one event to a mix of products that don't mix and match well to make a focused event.

It is obvious that Apple must make these updates and unveilments:

- New iPhone
- iPad Mini
- New iPod Touch
- New iPod Nano
- New iMacs

Of course they couldn't say all that in one single event. I said it in a post of my blog about a month ago, and I don't think I'm a genius for saying that (http://applexpert.tumblr.com/post/27922360921/a-lot-of-things).

These guys have inside info from Apple and they know a lot in advance, they only wait the order to shoot for Apple to gain media traction.

It is so obvious that is beginning to look bad.
lvidal.-
Reply
lvidal.-
Reply
post #65 of 108

So just because some guy says that theres going to be an iPad Mini and 2 other guys assume it as well, you have the right to say there's an iPad Mini in production and will be released after the iPhone??? I think everyone is going crazy thinking there's an iPad Mini and I really have always said there there isn't one coming so that's what I have to say. Why? Because it would take 7 months to make it and Apple just released the new iPad...They'd wait atleast another year to upgrade it, and then maybe they'd release the iPad Mini or upgrade the new iPad to NFC and In-Cell Multitouch retina displays with the new Dock Connector and build AirDrop on it's iOS 7. YOu;d be crazy to believe they'd make an iPad Mini that soon.


Edited by Strat09 - 8/25/12 at 10:21pm
post #66 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Not to be argumentative, but I just don't see people staggering around under the oppressive weight of their iPads.  

 

I think the current design is light enough for comfortable one-handed use, and will, itself, only get lighter.

 

So, inconvenient heft isn't the reason for a smaller iPad, I don't think...if it were, wouldn't nearly all the people who opt for other tablets opt for the smaller sizes?

 

Come to think of it, I'm not sure what the reason is, unless it was simply to crush the Kindle-sized market, and dominate that slightly lower price range.

 

Or, maybe, there really won't be one, after all.

 

But the same argument is often made for why no one needs an Air-- that a MacBook Pro is hardly a huge burden, that if you have a problem carrying around an extra 2 lbs you should probably hit the gym, etc.   But the difference between an Air and a MacBook-- its weight in a bag, how easy it is to use in a cramped situation-- is significant.

 

When it comes to something you hold in your hand for extended periods, a few ounces and a few inches can make a real difference.  As I've been saying, there are tradeoffs, but for some customers I think a significantly lighter, smaller iPad would be a big hit.

They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #67 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

If this happens (and I won't believe it until Tim Cook is standing up there with one in his hand, giving out a release date) the question I have is this:  How much difference do you think there is in the cost of components between an iPad and an iPad Mini?

 

I mean, unless it's really, really significant, then the price difference isn't going to be all that great.  That is, assuming Apple wants to maintain a healthy margin.

 

Or is it just that they see a market where people just want something smaller?

 

I dunno.  I guess I just don't get the whole "mini" idea.

 

When Apple wants to own a segment they find ways to hit a price point.  For instance, you wouldn't think that a MacBook Air would be significantly cheaper to manufacture than a 15" MacBook Pro, but the base model comes in at $500 less.

They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #68 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So what other products will be announced at which event?

 

I truly and honestly hope for Logic Pro X. Considering the rumors of Redmatica having been bought up by Apple (ace move, BTW). The Redmatica website is now dead and gone and you cannot get updates from their website. I hope any Apple "Music" keynote/presentation will feature a newly revamped Logic Pro X with EXSmkIII and a brand new EXS Librarian / AutoSampler equivalent. Would be lush.

post #69 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

 

When Apple wants to own a segment they find ways to hit a price point.  For instance, you wouldn't think that a MacBook Air would be significantly cheaper to manufacture than a 15" MacBook Pro, but the base model comes in at $500 less.

 

I guess.

 

Like I said, I don't "get" the whole iPad mini thing in the first place.  I guess I'm not the target demographic.

post #70 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

But the same argument is often made for why no one needs an Air-- that a MacBook Pro is hardly a huge burden, that if you have a problem carrying around an extra 2 lbs you should probably hit the gym, etc.   But the difference between an Air and a MacBook-- its weight in a bag, how easy it is to use in a cramped situation-- is significant.

 

When it comes to something you hold in your hand for extended periods, a few ounces and a few inches can make a real difference.  As I've been saying, there are tradeoffs, but for some customers I think a significantly lighter, smaller iPad would be a big hit.

Sorry, but the difference between a MBPro and an Air is several pounds, not a few ounces.  One is a relevant difference, one isn't - I'm just not feeling it, that anyone is forced, with no alternative, to hold an iPad long enough to be a discomfort.

 

The one comparison I will give you is, that a medical professional, for example, would probably find a smaller device easier to work around,

but, without knowing how many enterprise uses this would apply to, its still difficult to see the difference as more than a niche variation.  

In my world they are more often personal than professional devices, but, there are other worlds out there!

post #71 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Not to be argumentative, but I just don't see people staggering around under the oppressive weight of their iPads.  

 

I think the current design is light enough for comfortable one-handed use, and will, itself, only get lighter.

 

So, inconvenient heft isn't the reason for a smaller iPad, I don't think...if it were, wouldn't nearly all the people who opt for other tablets opt for the smaller sizes?

 

Come to think of it, I'm not sure what the reason is, unless it was simply to crush the Kindle-sized market, and dominate that slightly lower price range.

 

Or, maybe, there really won't be one, after all.

I agree with the weight argument.  I have the iPad 2.  When I bought it the weight was really the only thing I truly noticed as a flat-out negative.  I've gotten used to it after 18 months though.  Then the poor resolution of the screen was 2nd, but i've grown used to it as well, since I still use my 3GS.  However, even with the improved Retina Display, I would not get the iPad 3 because it's noticeably heavier than the already heavy iPad 2.

 

That all being said.  I have an iPhone and an iPad...so even if they offered a much lighter alternative, I wouldn't buy it because it's redundant to my collection of Apple devices.  And the overall screen size is more important than resolution or weight to me.

post #72 of 108

Despite the need to apparently sharpen fingers to use smaller tablets, I think this is a sensible thing to do.  Sometimes you have to admit you're wrong, and although Apple will never say that directly, they're doing it indirectly by finally releasing a smaller, more portable tablet. As long as they don't cheap out on the GPU (an A5x please) then I'll buy one.

post #73 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Despite the need to apparently sharpen fingers to use smaller tablets, I think this is a sensible thing to do.  Sometimes you have to admit you're wrong, and although Apple will never say that directly, they're doing it indirectly by finally releasing a smaller, more portable tablet. As long as they don't cheap out on the GPU (an A5x please) then I'll buy one.

 

Here's another question that is also probably stupid.  So bear with me. :)

 

Could they put an A5x in an iPad mini?  The battery is going to have to be significantly smaller, so what would the effect be on the battery life?  Or would the need to drive far fewer pixels obviate that problem?

post #74 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Despite the need to apparently sharpen fingers to use smaller tablets, I think this is a sensible thing to do.  Sometimes you have to admit you're wrong, and although Apple will never say that directly, they're doing it indirectly by finally releasing a smaller, more portable tablet. As long as they don't cheap out on the GPU (an A5x please) then I'll buy one.

I'm just surprised they didn't wait longer.  They already have over 70% of the market even after 3 years.  Why not milk the previous models more like the iPhone?

 

Why? because you can't subsidize iPads and if they carried 2 generations prior they would have to lower the unit price to of the 2nd gen to $299.  There...I answered it myself.

 

Still, I think a mini iPad is just gravy.  They really don't need to do it at all.  if you read the other thread about the iPad mini today, you'll see that just about everyone that is in favor of the iPad mini, also mentions a very welcomed lower price-point.  So you can clearly see why everyone wants the iPad mini...cheaper.  Its very very distant 2nd choice is portability.  everyone wants a cheaper iPad.  I think if they lowered the current model to $299 starting price after releasing the 4th gen iPad, you'd see a lot fewer people wanting an iPad mini.

 

This is my perverted future prediction...

They release the iPad mini 4 weeks before black-friday 2012.  It's the most successful launch and best selling apple device since the iPhone...iPad 10" get's cannibalized 50%-75%.  A year or two later, people don't buy the iPad 10" for reasons that the price and size is too close to the Macbook Air 11".  10" iPad is reduced to status as "niche device".  People like me become very sad.

post #75 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

 

Here's another question that is also probably stupid.  So bear with me. :)

 

Could they put an A5x in an iPad mini?  The battery is going to have to be significantly smaller, so what would the effect be on the battery life?  Or would the need to drive far fewer pixels obviate that problem?

 

The A5x is currently a rather large chip, but they can make it much smaller and more power efficient by shrinking it to 32nm. (the current A5x is 45nm) They have to do this anyway to get the A5x into the iPhone 5, so there'd be no reason not to put it into the iPad mini, unless they're desperate to bring their costs down.  I think for reasons of competition they should resist the urge to cut corners though, as the Nexus 7 has a Tegra 3, which is similar in performance, or perhaps slightly quicker, than the A5x.

 

The A5 and the A5x are soon to be replaced though, as the next gen stuff is very close now and should bring a huge performance boost. Expect the A6 to be comprised of a Cortex A15 and a Power VR Rogue. The latter is apparently to deliver X360/PS3 level performance.

post #76 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

 

The A5x is currently a rather large chip, but they can make it much smaller and more power efficient by shrinking it to 32nm. (the current A5x is 45nm) They have to do this anyway to get the A5x into the iPhone 5, so there'd be no reason not to put it into the iPad mini, unless they're desperate to bring their costs down.  I think for reasons of competition they should resist the urge to cut corners though, as the Nexus 7 has a Tegra 3, which is similar in performance, or perhaps slightly quicker, than the A5x.

 

The A5 and the A5x are soon to be replaced though, as the next gen stuff is very close now and should bring a huge performance boost. Expect the A6 to be comprised of a Cortex A15 and a Power VR Rogue. The latter is apparently to deliver X360/PS3 level performance.

 

Thank you very much.

 

This is why I love this site: I get to learn things.  I appreciate it.

post #77 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I like iPad Air.  The idea being (analogous to the MacBook Air) that you give up some screen real estate, resolution and battery life to get a much thinner and lighter device.

 

By the way, doesn't seem like the confidence level on this one is unusually high?  I know rumors always fly fast and thick, and frequently don't pan out, but some pretty well sourced Apple pundits have all but said they know things for sure.  John Paczkowski  just flat out says "confirmed" and "it's going to happen", which he never does unless it's a done deal.  My impression is that in this case Cook's Apple is willing to do some anonymous background stuff in order to throttle sales of the Nexus 7.

 

It definitely worked. I had a Nexxus in hand ready to purchase and held off because of Apple's Mini coming up and Id rather have it before the phone or Nexxus. 

post #78 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Not to be argumentative, but I just don't see people staggering around under the oppressive weight of their iPads.  

 

I think the current design is light enough for comfortable one-handed use, and will, itself, only get lighter.

 

So, inconvenient heft isn't the reason for a smaller iPad, I don't think...if it were, wouldn't nearly all the people who opt for other tablets opt for the smaller sizes?

 

Come to think of it, I'm not sure what the reason is, unless it was simply to crush the Kindle-sized market, and dominate that slightly lower price range.

 

Or, maybe, there really won't be one, after all.

Apple is probably finding people use iPads for surfing and reading books. For many a smaller version is better for them. My concern is size. 7" is way better for my needs. Price is not the issue for me at all or even a consideration here. A lower price is icing on the cake. Apple should let consumers decide what size is best for their needs.

post #79 of 108

I can't wait for Apple to put these in their new generation of products.

These dual-core models can then be replaced later by the quad-core model below:

Remember when SJ used to say in Stevenotes that something was so fast that it "screamed"? He wasn't kidding. 


Edited by carmelapple - 8/26/12 at 4:43am

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply
post #80 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

IF this device comes to fruition, it will be, hands down, THE item on every kids holiday list.

 

You hear that sound?

 

That's the sound of Nintendo and Sony shutting the doors on their handheld divisions.

 

BOOM goes the dynamite!

 

I agree totally with this being a great item for children, just as the iPad is a great item for children as well. This might be more in the "children" category due to portability and price. That being said, this device will not be solely for children. It will be used by adults just as much as children, in my opinion.

 

iPhone, iPod touch, iPad mini, iPad, MacBook Air, Macbook Pro. Ummmm... should the "competition" be worried? Ummm... Yes! What a hell of a line up! Of course, the competition was already worried but at least had a bit of an opening to make a few 7 to 8" tablets. Now, where the heck are they going to go?

 

Shakes head. Apple is on an unprecedented role even if this rumour doesn't pan out, but if it does, the roll just keeps getting bigger!

 

And yep, I hear that sound! :-)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple 'confirmed' to hold iPad mini event in October