or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's 7.85-inch iPad will in fact be named 'iPad mini' - report

Apple's 7.85-inch iPad will in fact be named 'iPad mini' - report

post #1 of 208
Apple's still-unannounced smaller iPad, which has been referred to in the media as the "iPad mini," will in fact use that name when the product launches in October, according to a new report.

Though it will be known as the iPad mini, only the name "iPad" will be printed on the back, much like various iPod models only say "iPod," according to a source who spoke with Macotakara. The 7.85-inch iPad is rumored to feature the same 1,024-by-768-pixel resolution display as the currently available iPad 2, but at a size smaller than the regular iPad's 9.7-inch display.

An apparent confirmation of the iPad mini name comes as news also broke on Saturday that Apple will hold a media event in October to introduce the new, smaller iPad. That event is expected to be held just weeks after Apple introduces its next-generation iPhone on Sept. 12.

Macotakara's report on Saturday also claimed that Apple is planning to introduce a new iPod nano and iPod touch later this year. In particular, the new iPod nano "may equip" a Wi-Fi antenna in order to make content from iTunes available wirelessly.

The same site reported in July that Apple's next iPod nano could be like a small iPhone, with a rectangular touchscreen and a home button. That report also said that it would feature a dedicated built-in iTunes service.

iPad mini Mockup
Mockup of alleged "iPad mini." | Source: iMore

Finally, as for the new iPod touch, Saturday's report made note of a "mysterious hole" found beside the rear-facing iSight camera on leaked components of the device. The same feature has also been seen on purported parts for the iPad mini and next-generation iPhone.

Author "danbo" speculated that the hole could be for near-field communications technology, which would suggest that the new iPod touch could also allow e-wallet style functionality.
post #2 of 208

I wonder if the number of "guaranteed" rumors about this thing is greater or less than the number of "guaranteed" rumors about the iPhone nano…

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #3 of 208

What's the DPI of the iPad mini?

post #4 of 208

A shame they're not going with iPad Air, as John Gruber theorized. It's a nice extension of the brand. 

post #5 of 208
Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post

What's the DPI of the iPad mini?

post #6 of 208

@marcus Not sure, but I have a hard time believing Apple would introduce a new form factor ipad that isn't using a retina display.

post #7 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Forbes View Post

A shame they're not going with iPad Air, as John Gruber theorized. It's a nice extension of the brand. 

That's a terrible name.

iPad mini is much better, because it sounds cuter, it sounds more obvious, and the smaller iPad will indeed look cute. 

There's no need to confuse people and combine the "air" name with "iPad. The Macbook Air is a laptop of course, and the iPad is a tablet. 

Those confused people who claim to want both, should just go out and buy a terrible product like the Asus Transformer Prime.

post #8 of 208

OK - we have the IPHONE 5, IPAD Tiny, how about Mac Book Pro 13" everyone mentioned here OR 15" Airs - Need computers for my 5th graders - 13" air is a bit small .. would go w/ the 15" .. or maybe the 13" Mac Pros we discussed here around a month ago.

Anyone here hear about 13" Mac Pro Laptops .. OR bigger 15" airs?

By the Way - HOORAY  for American Justice - Jury rocks - without this SJ verdict - all American engineering, science (pharma) was at risk. SIGNAL TO ASIA- PARTICULARLY KOREA - YOU WILL LOSE IF YOU STEAL OUR TECHNOLOGY OR PHARMA - OR AUTO DESIGNS. DO YOUR OWN (which they are not good at, we are).

post #9 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Don't be sloppy, it's 163.057!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuestateplanninglawyer View Post

YOU WILL LOSE IF YOU STEAL OUR  AUTO DESIGNS. DO YOUR OWN (which they are not good at, we are).

Since when?

Edited by smalM - 8/25/12 at 11:22am
post #10 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/152133/apples-7-85-inch-ipad-will-in-fact-be-named-ipad-mini-report#post_2175784"]There's no need to confuse people and combine the "air" name with "iPad. The Macbook Air is a laptop of course, and the iPad is a tablet. 

Mini also refers to a Mac.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #11 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalM View Post

Don't be sloppy, it's 163.057!

No, it's not.

7.85 inches has 3 significant figures, so the correct answer is 163.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #12 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Yes, and to iPod also.

post #13 of 208

More news out now than ever before about upcoming Apple products. I recall that Tim Cook mentioned just recently at an Earnings conference call that Apple was going to 'double down on secrecy'.

So why all the leaks etc. Normally Apple wouldn't want to give the competition any info either.

Just doesn't make sense unless alot of the info is bogus.

post #14 of 208
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post
…Tim Cook mentioned just recently at an Earnings conference call that Apple was going to 'double down on secrecy'. So why all the leaks etc. Normally Apple wouldn't want to give the competition any info either.

😩やれやれ。。。

Though I agree; we've really not seen anything from the smaller iPad. I'd love for it to be true that it's not real.

post #15 of 208

So iPad Air is good!

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

post #16 of 208
Quote:

I wonder if the number of "guaranteed" rumors about this thing is greater or less than the number of "guaranteed" rumors about the iPhone nano…

Time to eat your hat is coming up, Tally boy !!

What is it going to be? A beret, a stetson, a fedora, a sombrero, a deerstalker, or a beanie?  Let us know which one you are planning to eat, OK?

post #17 of 208
sarcasm... mysterious hole ? LOL "gl*ry hole"... LOL
post #18 of 208
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post
Time to eat your hat is coming up, Tally boy !!

What is it going to be? A beret, a stetson, a fedora, a sombrero, a deerstalker, or a beanie?  Let us know which one you are planning to eat, OK?

None. So stop this crap. I won't be saying one word apologetic or inversely or anything if one is released. I don't have to. There's no social or moral obligation to apologize for thinking a terrible idea is a terrible idea. I'm certainly no longer certain that there won't be one, I'm just certain it's a useless product. 

No one ate any hats when the iPhone nano never happened. That's that.

post #19 of 208

Makes sense. Maybe the iPod Touch should be called the iPad Nano.

(Or, maybe the Touch should be called the iPod Nano Max? No... the iPod Nano should be called the iPad Nano Nano.)

post #20 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Makes sense. Maybe the iPod Touch should be called the iPad Nano.

(Or, maybe the Touch should be called the iPod Nano Max? No... the iPod Nano should be called the iPad Nano Nano.)

NO! The iPod touch will continue to be called the iPod touch. I guarantee it.

post #21 of 208
Quote:

None. So stop this crap. I won't be saying one word apologetic or inversely or anything if one is released. I don't have to. There's no social or moral obligation to apologize for thinking a terrible idea is a terrible idea. I'm certainly no longer certain that there won't be one, I'm just certain it's a useless product. 

No one ate any hats when the iPhone nano never happened. That's that.

C'mon !! You didn't just say that it was a terrible idea.  You said that it was never going to happen.  

So, let's see.  A rastacap, a porkpie, or a slouch maybe?  A planter's hat, a patrol cap, or a panama? Oh, I know.  A dunce cap !!

And, about the iPhone nano.  You can never say never.  Can you?

post #22 of 208
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post
C'mon !! You didn't just say that it was a terrible idea.  You said that it was never going to happen.  

I did. I've changed my mind since. It was that orange mold fill that did it.

Oh, I know.  A dunce cap !!

Once again, come off it. I'm certain you've been sure of things that were utterly ludicrous before. 

And, about the iPhone nano.  You can never say never.  Can you?

Can and will. Until I see another orange mold fill, that is. This Universe operates differently than others.

post #23 of 208
I heard they'll also finally release a 13" iPad Pro that includes FireWire and an optical drive.
post #24 of 208
Originally Posted by jb510 View Post
…a 13" iPad…

As facetious as you're being, I'd love one of these.

Tablets are only gonna get bigger!

post #25 of 208
Quote:

I did. I've changed my mind since. It was that orange mold fill that did it.

Once again, come off it. I'm certain you've been sure of things that were utterly ludicrous before. 

Can and will. Until I see another orange mold fill, that is. This Universe operates differently than others.

Relax, Tally !!

As someone (Churchill, Keynes, Samuelson?) responded once, "When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir"?

You are allowed to change your mind.

post #26 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

If they are going to price this puppy competitively to compete at around the $199 level they will have to skimp on a few bits and pieces. It will be entry level. Otherwise it might cannibalize the iPad 3 sales if the specs are too good.

That is what I am afraid of. I want one that is every bit as powerful and full featured as my iPad 3, just smaller

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #27 of 208
Quote:

You don't have to apologize for anything.  But it's a great idea, will be a very useful product and will sell very well.

post #28 of 208

Well at least this will wash all the bottom feeders out of the 7in market in a big hurry; c'ya Kindle Fire. Love the smaller bezel too. Only thing I probably wouldn't do with it is Netflix / videos - letterboxing at 7in? No Thanks.

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #29 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

NO! The iPod touch will continue to be called the iPod touch. I guarantee it.

No, thats ridiculous. Have you forgotten that even now it's not called the iPod Touch...the Android trolls still call it the iTouch!

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

post #30 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There's a difference.

In the case of the iPod, 'iPod' is the device name and 'Mini' is the descriptor.

In the case of the Mac, 'Mac' is the device name and 'Mini is the descriptor.

In the case of the iPad, 'iPad' is the device name and 'Mini would be the descriptor.

Now, 'Air' is also used as a descriptor, but only in the case of the MacBook - when the meaning of 'air' is clear. It's not so clear that an 8" iPad Mini would be all that much lighter than an iPad, other than the 40% reduction in size, so 'Air' isn't as good a descriptor. Now, if they were to release one that was less than half of the weight of the 10" iPad, then 'Air' might make sense.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #31 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplication View Post

No, thats ridiculous. Have you forgotten that even now it's not called the iPod Touch...the Android trolls still call it the iTouch!

OMG that makes me so mad. Some people I know call it the iTouch and it pisses me off.

post #32 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

OMG that makes me so mad. Some people I know call it the iTouch and it pisses me off.

Nah, it makes it easy.  Whenever someone says iTouch , you can go ahead and ignore anything they have say,  If they can't get the name right, what are the chances they get the stuff right that actually requires thinking?

post #33 of 208
Rather than try and compete with the $199 price point (leave that to Amazon and Google) Apple should make this product better spec and feature wise so they can sell it at say, $299. Better quality product people will be willing to pay for. But if they skimp and still try to sell it at $249 or $299 I think it could be a dud.
post #34 of 208
Quote:

There's no social or moral obligation to apologize for thinking a terrible idea is a terrible idea. I'm certainly no longer certain that there won't be one, I'm just certain it's a useless product.

Why is it such a terrible idea? You keep saying it's a terrible idea, but you never explain why.

post #35 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrided View Post

@marcus Not sure, but I have a hard time believing Apple would introduce a new form factor ipad that isn't using a retina display.

The retina display is the most expensive component.  Plus it will be heavier and thicker due to battery.  So if Apple wants it at $200 and it to be lightweight and have long battery then retina is not an option.

post #36 of 208
Originally Posted by RealMan View Post
Why is it such a terrible idea? You keep saying it's a terrible idea, but you never explain why.

A smaller iPad would be worse at everything the iPad can do. Lower resolution, shorter battery life, slower processor, worse graphics, gimped connectivity, and we're hearing it might have a plastic back. The only benefit, if you can call it that, is that it's smaller. Big whoop.

People say, 'portability'. You can't put this thing in a pocket. You have to carry it around in a hand, just like you would a regular iPad, only this one is so small that it barely justifies carrying it around in that manner. "So they put it in their purse," they say. So Apple's supposed to make a product only for women? I mean no disrespect to men who carry purses, but come on. That's not a valid reason to make a product.

People say, 'cost'. That's why the iPad 2 is still for sale. In seven more months, the iPad 2 will be $299. That kills every other tablet on the market right now, even more so than the 70+% shipment and 95% use of the iPad over other tablets already does. Cost is the reason the iPhone 4 and 3GS are still for sale. They fill the low-end gap that the "iPhone nano" was imagined to fill without making compromises in the way of features like a smaller simultaneous iPad would. 

People say, 'usability'. I say, "Yes, lessened." Size-wise it comes out to, what, about half the size of the iPad. Cut an iPad in half and that's about what a 7" one would be, right? And let's assume the "thinner side bezel" bit is true. That drops at least one way of holding it in landscape and nearly every comfortable way in portrait. But even if there's a uniform bezel, it's going to be just large enough to not be graspable (not holdable, graspable) with a single hand. The size (specifically width) makes it psychologically close enough to a phone that people'll desire to hold it like one. And when they can't, there'll be trouble. And this whole bit has just been about hardware; imagine the keyboard on this thing. No ten finger typing for anyone, no sir. Not even children. 

post #37 of 208
Wonder if Tallest Skil is on suicide watch.

EDIT: ****, he doesn't stop. You've parroted ALL THAT STUFF countless times. Why do you need to keep repeating it, as if you're imparting some new insight on everyone? Just don't buy the damn thing. Meanwhile, Apple will sell a shitload, it will getgreat reviews, consumers will buy it in the hundreds of millions, and theywill love it. Nothing else matters. Apple will not release a piece of crap product. The current iPad size will always be available. Your constant bitching is so pointless.
post #38 of 208
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Haven't been reading the thread, eh? And what idiot would actually commit suicide?

post #39 of 208

I got an iPad for my daughter. Personally, I lug a 7" Samsung Tab around in a special "gun belt" or just a bigger pocket. It works as a phone, too, and is just perfect for me and my local but often remote activity.

For all I care, the iPad mini could cost up to $1000 with a Retina display and phone capabilities.

post #40 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

EDIT: ****, he doesn't stop. You've parroted ALL THAT STUFF countless times. Why do you need to keep repeating it, as if you're imparting some new insight on everyone? Just don't buy the damn thing. Meanwhile, Apple will sell a shitload, it will getgreat reviews, consumers will buy it in the hundreds of millions, and theywill love it. Nothing else matters. Apple will not release a piece of crap product. The current iPad size will always be available. Your constant bitching is so pointless.

I asked him to explain his reasoning. If he explained it in an earlier posts that I missed (he has almost 15,000 so that would be a daunting task), forgive me. All I have seen is that he calls it a "terrible" idea all the time, I wanted him to clarify his reasoning. He was "imparting some new insight" on me.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple's 7.85-inch iPad will in fact be named 'iPad mini' - report
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's 7.85-inch iPad will in fact be named 'iPad mini' - report