or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's 7.85-inch iPad will in fact be named 'iPad mini' - report
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's 7.85-inch iPad will in fact be named 'iPad mini' - report - Page 3

post #81 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

You're conveniently leaving out typing the same way everybody has already been doing on 7"ers for quite a while, however their choice has been.  Personally I do it one fingered, no thumbs.  If it's a mini friggin' keyboard it's a mini friggin' keyboard.  The keyboard on the current iPad isn't exactly, um, shall we say, without any downside?

 

That's like complaining about the iPad3 because you can't watch movies on it from across the room, so it's a stupid device. 

 

      Exactly! Besides that, the most things a lot of people will ever type on it is username/password combos and google searches!!! How long can that take with one finger?!

 

       Another advantage to the size besides what has already been mentioned is that the weight will likely be lower making for a better e reader. I have a kindle that is much lighter than any ipad and I would much rather read on it because it is so much lighter!!

 

       Say what you will, a smaller iPad would sell a LOT!  Still a bad idea?  HARDLY!!!  Ask the stockholders next year if it was a bad idea.

post #82 of 208

How can this site declare this to be "in fact" when it is just another rumor?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #83 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

How can this site declare this to be "in fact" when it is just another rumor?

Because they have massive issues.

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply
post #84 of 208

I get the feeling Apple will discontinue the iPad 2. Then, they will have the iPad and iPad Mini, both with Retina displays. The Mini will have lots of competition so they will need it to have the best display on the market. The price point would conflict with the iPad 2, especially if the Mini is offered with higher RAM at a price nearing $400.

 

So would you rather buy a 16GB iPad 2 10" without a Retina display or a 32GB iPad Mini 7.85" with Retina and faster processor? I think that's a tough call for many people. My wife for example doesn't have the best eyesight so she can't appreciate a Retina display and would rather have the 10".

 

Apple will take away the quandary for people I think and offer only the new iPad in 10". They'll drop the price of the iPad 2 by 50-100 to clear them out. Lots of people will buy them up for Christmas presents and maybe institutional purchases. I might buy 3 or 4 for my work.

 

Probably, we will see both new iPads introduced in October with the new dock connector. Will the 10" get any other refreshes? I say no on that and we may see a refresh in March for that model back on the regular cycle.

 

Just speculation of course but that's what makes watching all this fun for us geeks.

post #85 of 208
Originally Posted by faster View Post
…the most things a lot of people will ever type on it is username/password combos and google searches!!! 

 

Seems Apple will have truly made a 'toy' in that case. How much work can really get done with one finger?

 

 

Say what you will, a smaller iPad would sell a LOT!  Still a bad idea?  HARDLY!!!

 

++ Sales  good idea.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #86 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

Dude, it was a fucking 5 minute photoshop job.mad.gif

 

A 'shop chop! lol.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #87 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Seems Apple will have truly made a 'toy' in that case. How much work can really get done with one finger?

 

 

 

I dunno. They keep talking to their computers on Star Trek: TNG. I use the dictation features in iOS 5 instead of typing into my iPad where possible. A real time saver.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #88 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Seems Apple will have truly made a 'toy' in that case. How much work can really get done with one finger?

 

 

 

++ Sales  good idea.

Apple just spent many millions in facebook integration, instant messaging, facetiming, on and on, and you're using getting work done as something that should be on their foremost radar?  Where've you been the past three years?

post #89 of 208
Originally Posted by jlandd View Post
Apple just spent many millions in facebook integration, instant messaging, facetiming, on and on, and you're using getting work done as something that should be on their foremost radar?

 

That's not a rebuttal. An opinion of what Apple intends for the devices isn't significant. How the devices are actually being used is. We've seen iPads fall up into every industry under the sun for the purpose of actual work. If Apple isn't working to make future models even more suitable for said industries, they can enjoy their lost revenue, lost marketshare, and lost market when someone else comes in and makes a tablet that does. And since Apple seems to be absolutely spectacular at not losing revenue, marketshare, and the market itself once they're in it, I doubt they'll ignore people who want to do work with their tablets.

 

Now if only they'd do the same with Macs.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #90 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

None. So stop this crap. I won't be saying one word apologetic or inversely or anything if one is released. I don't have to. There's no social or moral obligation to apologize for thinking a terrible idea is a terrible idea. I'm certainly no longer certain that there won't be one, I'm just certain it's a useless product. 

 

No one ate any hats when the iPhone nano never happened. That's that.

 

I have a very hard time believing there will be a small iPad also. I'll believe it when it's in the Apple Store.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #91 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

That's not a rebuttal. An opinion of what Apple intends for the devices isn't significant. How the devices are actually being used is. We've seen iPads fall up into every industry under the sun for the purpose of actual work. If Apple isn't working to make future models even more suitable for said industries, they can enjoy their lost revenue, lost marketshare, and lost market when someone else comes in and makes a tablet that does. And since Apple seems to be absolutely spectacular at not losing revenue, marketshare, and the market itself once they're in it, I doubt they'll ignore people who want to do work with their tablets.

 

Now if only they'd do the same with Macs.

Did you miss the whole iPod era?  iPodTouch era?  Apple makes appliances, they don't fulfill the particular market you're talking about.  

 

Weren't you railing against the "pro" users who felt abandoned by Apple in their worlds, saying they just need to get with the program?

 

Dude, get with the program.

post #92 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

If they are going to price this puppy competitively to compete at around the $199 level they will have to skimp on a few bits and pieces. It will be entry level. Otherwise it might cannibalize the iPad 3 sales if the specs are too good.

That would go against when SJ said "The reason we [won't] make a 7-inch tablet isn't because we don't want to hit that price point, it's because we think the screen is too small to express the software. As a software driven company we think about the software strategies first." He went on to say the 7-inch form factor "isn't sufficient to create great tablet apps."

From a previous thread
Quote:
Asked by an analyst how he would respond -- and whether Apple would lose share -- if the market suddenly moves to a lower price point with fewer features, Jobs said "You're looking at it wrong, […] looking at it as a hardware manufacturer who doesn't know much about software who assumes the software will take care of itself."

"Hm, how can we make this cheaper? Well let's put a smaller screen, slower processor, less memory, and you just assume the software will somehow come alive on this product but it won't," Jobs quipped. "Developers have taken advantage of faster processors and bigger screens to make better apps for customers."

I just dont see it.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #93 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

That's not a rebuttal. An opinion of what Apple intends for the devices isn't significant. How the devices are actually being used is. We've seen iPads fall up into every industry under the sun for the purpose of actual work. If Apple isn't working to make future models even more suitable for said industries, they can enjoy their lost revenue, lost marketshare, and lost market when someone else comes in and makes a tablet that does. And since Apple seems to be absolutely spectacular at not losing revenue, marketshare, and the market itself once they're in it, I doubt they'll ignore people who want to do work with their tablets.

 

Now if only they'd do the same with Macs.

In the medical industry for example you can use an iPad. As someone earlier said the extent of typing is reduced to username and password. Then you type in the case number with one finger. After that you are presented with icons of x-rays and patient data which is for the most part simply swiping from one screen to the next. Whatever data you need to enter is in form fields which doesn't warrant setting the device down on a flat surface to touch type. Most of the time you need to adjust the angle of the device anyway to avoid reflections on the screen. I'd say 99% of the time it is going to be a one finger data entry task. Most business uses of the iPad are not related to extended typing sessions. Some can be but that is rarely the intended function of most apps.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #94 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMan View Post

he has almost 15,000

21 message a day for two straight years. Impressive dedication.
post #95 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

In the medical industry for example you can use an iPad. As someone earlier said the extent of typing is reduced to username and password. Then you type in the case number with one finger. After that you are presented with icons of x-rays and patient data which is for the most part simply swiping from one screen to the next. Whatever data you need to enter is in form fields which doesn't warrant setting the device down on a flat surface to touch type. Most of the time you need to adjust the angle of the device anyway to avoid reflections on the screen. I'd say 99% of the time it is going to be a one finger data entry task. Most business uses of the iPad are not related to extended typing sessions. Some can be but that is rarely the intended function of most apps.

Medical industry actually has two possible area of use. First - physicians and iPad hands down is the king here. I see no place for mini here. Second and absolutely MASSIVE scenario is phlebotomy and Apple is absolutely out of the picture so far for absence of infrared scanner on device. Some big hospitals have as many as 8K users and they all want to scan labels - specimens, tubes, patient braslets etc. On this field our best seller is pocket PC version even though we offer software for iOS/Android with Bluetooth scanner. Btw they login to the system with badge scanning too.
post #96 of 208

I used to be of the thought that a 7~8" iPad mini is unnecessary until I started commuting in the subway trains of Seoul, Tokyo and other densely populated cities around the world over the past year or so. I live in Southern California so that's about as opposite as the geography gets for large metropolitan centers. Here in So Cal, I definitely don't see the need for a smaller iPad when I have the iPad 2 that I'm very happy with. Still, whenever I go into a Starbucks or B&N, I always see a decent number of Kindles and Nooks and most of them are browsing the web or typing up emails. Ditto for the airports...

 

When I go to Asia, I start seeing a lot more 7~8" tablets from the likes of Samsung, Asus and whoever else (it's hard to discern the brands). I'll sometimes be in Seoul for weeks at a time taking the subway trains and walking a whole lot like the majority of the population. Seriously, people there probably walk more in one day than Southern Californians typically walk in one month. Due to the traffic and extreme parking difficulties, it's just not worth driving a car around for most people. I could drive there but definitely prefer to get around Seoul in the subway system.

 

Virtually everyone in a subway train has his or head buried in a smartphone or a small tablet. You'd really be surprised how many people have the 5.3" Galaxy Note there, even women with small hands. It's become such a common sight that I don't smirk anymore like I first did when I saw someone talking on the thing. It's not often that one can get to sit down on a subway train. Normally, you're standing in the train - more than half the time and the train is very cramped. Your personal space gets very limited and taking out an iPad to kill 30~60 minutes while standing is not very practical nor pleasant after about 10 minutes. I was thinking, "Man, an iPad mini right now would feel like a godsend."

 

But I wouldn't really need one at home in Southern Cal although my kids would certainly enjoy it. The iPad 2 is great for what I need to do here and most of the time in Asia as well, but when commuting (which makes up a significant amount of time for the populace there), the iPad mini would indeed be a better form factor. Seoul has 4G and super fast Wi-Fi virtually in every corner. Technologically, it's definitely the most advanced city I've ever seen. I can find free and very fast Wi-Fi connection virtually anywhere I walk into - a restaurant, a coffee shop, a department store, a hospital, wherever... But it's almost always crowded and the space is tight wherever you go as well. A smaller tablet would just be more convenient to break out in such environments there.

 

We have to understand that the world is actually quite big. We can't see the rest of the world from the perspective of our own neighborhoods and our small insulated worlds of our work, family, leisure, etc. Many billions of people around the world don't live like we do and have different needs. The iPad mini will be a huge hit in countries like Korea, China, and Japan as well as in Europe where most people also commute on foot and by mass transit. If I lived there, the mini would probably become my primary device whenever I'm on the move, which would be a lot. I'm looking forward to it. I won't be getting the new iPhone since I still have another year left for the 4S but a mini would definitely be something I'd pick up for myself as well as the kids for this Xmas.

post #97 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

That's not a rebuttal. An opinion of what Apple intends for the devices isn't significant. How the devices are actually being used is. We've seen iPads fall up into every industry under the sun for the purpose of actual work. If Apple isn't working to make future models even more suitable for said industries, they can enjoy their lost revenue, lost marketshare, and lost market when someone else comes in and makes a tablet that does. And since Apple seems to be absolutely spectacular at not losing revenue, marketshare, and the market itself once they're in it, I doubt they'll ignore people who want to do work with their tablets.

 

Now you've just completely lost me, sorry.  I expressed no opinion on either Apple's intent for a device nor how the device actually gets used.  What I did express is that since a huge market of Apple's is one which isn't thinking about getting work done at the moment they're engaged with the widget, it makes no sense to dismiss an upcoming model because of any shortcomings as far as being able to get work done.  If it makes you crazy that it's almost like a big iPod instead of a bigger, better iPad, well, I don't know what to tell you.  Except that you're pointing out a major shortcoming of a banana's value is that it's not crunchy.

post #98 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

A smaller iPad would be worse at everything the iPad can do. Lower resolution, shorter battery life, slower processor, worse graphics, gimped connectivity, and we're hearing it might have a plastic back. The only benefit, if you can call it that, is that it's smaller. Big whoop.


There's no reason it has to be worse at anything. If the tech can be put into an iPhone, it can certainly go into a slightly smaller iPad.

Quote:
People say, 'portability'. You can't put this thing in a pocket. You have to carry it around in a hand, just like you would a regular iPad, only this one is so small that it barely justifies carrying it around in that manner. "So they put it in their purse," they say. So Apple's supposed to make a product only for women? I mean no disrespect to men who carry purses, but come on. That's not a valid reason to make a product.


A 7-8" tablet can fit into a lot of places that a full size iPad can't. A glove box, a map pocket, a jacket pocket, and yes, even the back pocket of a pair of jeans.

Quote:
People say, 'cost'. That's why the iPad 2 is still for sale. In seven more months, the iPad 2 will be $299. That kills every other tablet on the market right now, even more so than the 70+% shipment and 95% use of the iPad over other tablets already does. Cost is the reason the iPhone 4 and 3GS are still for sale. They fill the low-end gap that the "iPhone nano" was imagined to fill without making compromises in the way of features like a smaller simultaneous iPad would. 


Lower cost seems to be the direction it's heading, but there's no reason it has to. Apple will sell millions of them, even if it's exactly the same price as the 10" version. I know I want a smaller one bad enough that would gladly pay exactly the same price. It wasn't that long ago that if something was smaller, that meant it cost more.


 
Quote:
People say, 'usability'. I say, "Yes, lessened." Size-wise it comes out to, what, about half the size of the iPad. Cut an iPad in half and that's about what a 7" one would be, right? And let's assume the "thinner side bezel" bit is true. That drops at least one way of holding it in landscape and nearly every comfortable way in portrait. But even if there's a uniform bezel, it's going to be just large enough to not be graspable (not holdable, graspable) with a single hand. The size (specifically width) makes it psychologically close enough to a phone that people'll desire to hold it like one. And when they can't, there'll be trouble. And this whole bit has just been about hardware; imagine the keyboard on this thing. No ten finger typing for anyone, no sir. Not even children. 


No one has any problem holding or typing any of the current crop of 7" tablets. many of them are very useful and capable devices that really only have one major flaw: they run on Android. My 7" tablet is very functional, very capable, a lot easier to carry around than my iPad, much easier to use as an eReader, etc, etc. It's only issue is that Android sucks donkey balls.
Edited by bsenka - 8/25/12 at 6:52pm
post #99 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

 

A 'shop chop! lol.gif

definitely.

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply
post #100 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

None. So stop this crap. I won't be saying one word apologetic or inversely or anything if one is released. I don't have to. There's no social or moral obligation to apologize for thinking a terrible idea is a terrible idea. I'm certainly no longer certain that there won't be one, I'm just certain it's a useless product. 

 

No one ate any hats when the iPhone nano never happened. That's that.

You're correct that the contents of your posts rejecting the possibility of an iPad Mini hardly warrant an apology (which should be saved for much more substantive things than rumor-mongering), you are being a bit disingenuous to claim that you've only expressed your opinion about whether Apple will release a smaller iPad. You've actually made substantive arguments, and those arguments appear to be on the verge of being disproven. It's not just that you now believe it's going to happen, you also were just plain wrong in your analysis. It happens to the best of us, but it's not like there was one final "this proves it" thing. Credit is due to those who discovered and reported (not commented in a forum) the evidence which revealed that the iPad Mini is happening.

post #101 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Seems Apple will have truly made a 'toy' in that case. How much work can really get done with one finger?

Yeah, no one could ever do anything on a screen smaller than 10". It's absolutely inconceivable that anyone could ever use a 3.5" screen for accessing the internet, playing games, or watching movies, for example. /s

You still haven't explained how a screen 4 times the size of an iPhone is impossible to work on when lots of people have no problem using an iPhone.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #102 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey View Post

Medical industry actually has two possible area of use. First - physicians and iPad hands down is the king here. I see no place for mini here. Second and absolutely MASSIVE scenario is phlebotomy and Apple is absolutely out of the picture so far for absence of infrared scanner on device. Some big hospitals have as many as 8K users and they all want to scan labels - specimens, tubes, patient braslets etc. On this field our best seller is pocket PC version even though we offer software for iOS/Android with Bluetooth scanner. Btw they login to the system with badge scanning too.

Thanks for your information. Clearly there are multiple uses for iPads within each medical/scientific niche. We use ours exclusively for X-rays.
Edited by mstone - 8/26/12 at 3:12am

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #103 of 208

The release of a 7" iPad is all about maintaining or increasing market share. It probably won't be as nice to use as a 10''.

But it's should crowd out some competitors and bring more people into the Apple house.

And of course it will push up Apple's stock.  Hold on to your stock.

post #104 of 208

Personally, I'd rather they go the same route as the Mac-book line.  If they're going to offer the iPad in differing sizes, why not do what the Mac-books do.

 

For example:

iPad 9 = 9.7" current model

 

iPad 7 = 7.85" future model.

 

It might be argued that they round-up the size but it seems everyone keeps calling the 7.85" the iPad 7"...but then again everyone seems to call the current model the 10" iPad, when it's only 9.7", which is inconsistent, since if you were rounding up, the 7.85 is closer to 8" than 9.7" is to 10".  Granted the competition has already established this kind of nomenclature, but it would make more sense since it's on Par with the rest of the Apple lineup (i.e. Macbook Pro 13, Macbook Pro 15, MBAir 11, etc...)

 

Or, it could be 10" iPad and 7" iPad.  That would be way better that iPad, and iPad mini, IMO


Edited by antkm1 - 8/25/12 at 7:57pm
post #105 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Macotakara's report on Saturday also claimed that Apple is planning to introduce a new iPod nano and iPod touch later this year. In particular, the new iPod nano "may equip" a Wi-Fi antenna in order to make content from iTunes available wirelessly.
The same site reported in July that Apple's next iPod nano could be like a small iPhone, with a rectangular touchscreen and a home button. That report also said that it would feature a dedicated built-in iTunes service.
 

Looks like Gruber might be right about the separate events.

I really hope this is true about adding a WiFi antenna to the iPods.  I just hope it's not true that the nano get's the larger touchscreen.

 

What apple needs to do is redesign the iPods so that they are more user friendly for "eyes-free" use.  Bring back more tactile functionality.  I thought the click-wheel was perfect for that.  No matter what Apple does, having a touchscreen on a dedicated audio device just doesn't work.  The iTunes and Music and podcast apps on iOS really SUCK!  They're slow, extremely unresponsive, they take too many "taps" to get to where you want to get.  There is no quick way to go back, forward, play/pause or volumes quickly in iOS, especially if the device is in your pocket.  IT JUST PLAIN SUCKS.

 

What I want to see, not that anyone cares:

1. the Nano and Shuffle converge into a single device...keep the nano form and touchscreen but add a way to play/pause FF/RW button on the device.

2. keep the Classic, but replace the HDD with an SDD in 64gb and 128gb, add Wifi with iTunes sync.  Add a still photo camera, and keep the form factor and click-wheel, but lighter weight and slightly smaller.

 

IMO, the classic was almost perfect, it just seems like since iOS became so huge, they decided to forget about it.  Now I think many people (at least the ones i talk too and read from)  still want a dedicated audio device that's not iOS-based.  So I really hope we get a great swan-song iPod classic and a much more converged micro-iPod line.  

 

Is that so much to ask?

 

However, I've been preparing myself for Apple to drop the classic for about 2 years now so i'll be first in line to get a couple new classics should they be discontinued and Apple goes full-iOS with the entire iPod line too.

post #106 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by starburst View Post

The release of a 7" iPad is all about maintaining or increasing market share. It probably won't be as nice to use as a 10''.
But it's should crowd out some competitors and bring more people into the Apple house.
And of course it will push up Apple's stock.  Hold on to your stock.

The market share is huge already, why does it need to get bigger?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #107 of 208

People refuse to face the fact that the 10 inch iPad is designed for home use, people walking with it look ridiculous outside. This is why the 7 inch iPad is more than welcome!

post #108 of 208
Originally Posted by jlandd View Post
Did you miss the whole iPod era?  iPodTouch era?  Apple makes appliances, they don't fulfill the particular market you're talking about.

 

I don't understand; Apple doesn't make products for people who want to get things done?


Originally Posted by bsenka View Post
There's no reason it has to be worse at anything. If the tech can be put into an iPhone, it can certainly go into a slightly smaller iPad.

 

Can we establish, though, that there are sizes at which tablets will not work?


Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post
What apple needs to do is redesign the iPods so that they are more user friendly for "eyes-free" use.

 

Siri.


Originally Posted by Ewan View Post
People refuse to face the fact that the 10 inch iPad is designed for home use, people walking with it look ridiculous outside.

 

No one has ever walked around carrying a book. Of any size. That would be ridiculous. 

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #109 of 208

After reading all this, it's clear why this crowd doesn't work for Apple's design or marketing team.

post #110 of 208
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
After reading all this, it's clear why this crowd doesn't work for Apple's design or marketing team.

 

You gotta clarify, you mean my side or the other side? Please say "all of us".

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #111 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No one has ever walked around carrying a book. Of any size. That would be ridiculous. 

No one has ever carried around a paperback book, either. Those 10" coffee table books are good enough for everyone. /s
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The market share is huge already, why does it need to get bigger?

It doesn't NEED to, but why wouldn't they try to increase their sales and market share?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #112 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

No one has ever carried around a paperback book, either. Those 10" coffee table books are good enough for everyone. /s
It doesn't NEED to, but why wouldn't they try to increase their sales and market share?

Because Apple wouldn't release a inferior product to increase sales and market share.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #113 of 208

Dear dasanman69, I hope you're kidding.

 

Here are Gartner’s figures for worldwide unit sales and market share for tablet computers in 2011 and projections for 2012.

The figures are broken down by operating system. Android includes Samsung’s Galaxy tablets along with modified versions of Android used in Amazon.com Inc.’s Kindle Fire and Barnes & Noble Inc.’s Nook Tablet. Tablets based on Windows will come out later this year with the Oct. 26 release of Windows 8. The report came out before Research in Motion Ltd. announced yet-another delay in its new BlackBerry 10 operating system, which could affect sales for 2012.

iOS (Apple Inc.’s iPad) — 40 million units, 66.6 percent share in 2011; projected 73 million units, 61.4 percent share in 2012

Android (Google Inc.) — 17.3 million units, 28.8 percent share in 2011; projected 37.9 million units, 31.9 percent share in 2012

Windows (Microsoft Corp.) — none in 2011; projected 4.9 million units, 4.1 percent share in 2012.

QNX/BlackBerry (Research in Motion Ltd.) — 807,000 units, 1.3 percent share in 2011; projected 2.6 million units, 2.2 percent share in 2012.

Other — 1.9 million units, 3.2 percent share in 2011; projected 510,000 units, 0.4 percent share in 2012.re aGartner’s figures for worldwide unit sales and market share for tablet computers in 2011 and projections for 2012.

The figures are broken down by operating system. Android includes Samsung’s Galaxy tablets along with modified versions of Android used in Amazon.com Inc.’s Kindle Fire and Barnes & Noble Inc.’s Nook Tablet. Tablets based on Windows will come out later this year with the Oct. 26 release of Windows 8. The report came out before Research in Motion Ltd. announced yet-another delay in its new BlackBerry 10 operating system, which could affect sales for 2012.

iOS (Apple Inc.’s iPad) — 40 million units, 66.6 percent share in 2011; projected 73 million units, 61.4 percent share in 2012

Android (Google Inc.) — 17.3 million units, 28.8 percent share in 2011; projected 37.9 million units, 31.9 percent share in 2012

Windows (Microsoft Corp.) — none in 2011; projected 4.9 million units, 4.1 percent share in 2012.

QNX/BlackBerry (Research in Motion Ltd.) — 807,000 units, 1.3 percent share in 2011; projected 2.6 million units, 2.2 percent share in 2012.

Other — 1.9 million units, 3.2 percent share in 2011; projected 510,000 units, 0.4 percent share in 2012.

Note:  Apple's Market share for tablets was 66.6% in 2011, projected to be 61.4% in 2012. I believe I remember when Apple's share was over 75%.

            The android smaller tablets have eroded Apple's share and I am for one happy to see Apple respond.

post #114 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

A smaller iPad would be worse at everything the iPad can do. Lower resolution, shorter battery life, slower processor, worse graphics, gimped connectivity, and we're hearing it might have a plastic back. The only benefit, if you can call it that, is that it's smaller. Big whoop.

 

People say, 'portability'. You can't put this thing in a pocket. You have to carry it around in a hand, just like you would a regular iPad, only this one is so small that it barely justifies carrying it around in that manner. "So they put it in their purse," they say. So Apple's supposed to make a product only for women? I mean no disrespect to men who carry purses, but come on. That's not a valid reason to make a product.

 

People say, 'cost'. That's why the iPad 2 is still for sale. In seven more months, the iPad 2 will be $299. That kills every other tablet on the market right now, even more so than the 70+% shipment and 95% use of the iPad over other tablets already does. Cost is the reason the iPhone 4 and 3GS are still for sale. They fill the low-end gap that the "iPhone nano" was imagined to fill without making compromises in the way of features like a smaller simultaneous iPad would. 

 

People say, 'usability'. I say, "Yes, lessened." Size-wise it comes out to, what, about half the size of the iPad. Cut an iPad in half and that's about what a 7" one would be, right? And let's assume the "thinner side bezel" bit is true. That drops at least one way of holding it in landscape and nearly every comfortable way in portrait. But even if there's a uniform bezel, it's going to be just large enough to not be graspable (not holdable, graspable) with a single hand. The size (specifically width) makes it psychologically close enough to a phone that people'll desire to hold it like one. And when they can't, there'll be trouble. And this whole bit has just been about hardware; imagine the keyboard on this thing. No ten finger typing for anyone, no sir. Not even children. 


Where do you get your information? Obviously not from simple logic/common sense.

Lower resolution, It will be the same resolution as a regular iPad, only with a higher DPI because of the smaller screen. The iPad 2 is perfectly usable and while we also have an iPad 3, it's not a big difference unless you switch between them
Shorter battery life: How do you figure this? Smaller screen means less power. Components become more efficient. The A5 die has been shrunk.
Slower processor: Slower than what? The iPad 3 processor is the same as the iPad 2 but with faster graphics. This would be a die shrunk version of the iPad 2. No performance difference.

Worse graphics: See above
Gimped connectivity: It would have the same connectivity as the iPad 2 and there's no reason it wouldn't. Worst case scenario is no 3G or no 4G. Most people don't care and don't use it anyway.
And we're hearing it might have a plastic back: Do you have some really, really reliable source where you've gotten that information? I haven't seen anything to support that and there's no reason for Apple to use plastic if they are going for thinness. I was pricing manufacturing a product and aluminum is still the best material from a cost standpoint.

 

Portability: I would use an iPad Mini and I'm a man. Why? Simple.  It will have the same function as my iPad 2, but weight half as much and be small enough to fit in a cargo pocket. That's not a primary reason for the size.  I'm not sure if you have a family or not but any child/teen would want an iPad and being a little smaller is good for a) little fingers b) overloaded backpacks. My manliness is not dependent on having the biggest device.

 

Cost: The new product will be less than the iPad 2 and the iPad 2 will most like stop being produced, or will maintain the $399 mark. I think you are assuming that technology does not change. Apple can produce a product that weighs less, is thinner, offers the same user experience if not better, updates all the ports and sensors and hits the same, if not cheaper price point.

 

Usability: You have some valid points. A 7" device is 1/2 the size of the iPad, but an 8" device is 60% of the size. I don't think this will be a huge difference for *most* people since most people don't use the device to type essays like this comment. If you do a lot of typing, get a keyboard, use Siri dictation, etc.  *Most* people will use this to search the web, play games and check email and most people will love it for that.  What you are also discounting is using this device to control a second screen with enhanced AirPlay, etc.

 

For the rest of us... there's the regular iPad.

post #115 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

I won't be saying one word apologetic or inversely or anything if one is released. I don't have to. There's no social or moral obligation to apologize for thinking a terrible idea is a terrible idea. I'm certainly no longer certain that there won't be one, I'm just certain it's a useless product. 

 

No one ate any hats when the iPhone nano never happened. That's that.

You are wrong. It is not a terrible idea - it is a great idea. You are simply feeding your own prejudice by being locked into a position. You need to learn to brainstorm and open up to possibilities. I'd wager you are not employed in any kind of creative work. You speak with certainty but I doubt if anyone here cant see that its just chest beating bull. You are certain it will be a useless product? Really? Like so many here declared the iPhone and the iPad  few short years ago. 

post #116 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

If they are going to price this puppy competitively to compete at around the $199 level they will have to skimp on a few bits and pieces. It will be entry level. Otherwise it might cannibalize the iPad 3 sales if the specs are too good.

If they start this off at $199...mark my words it will cannibalize the IPad 3 by at least 50-75% this Holiday season. It will be THE GIFT to buy.

Edit: And that kind of scares me. Because despite what people say, the 10" iPad will take a huge hit for no other reason than price. When it all comes down to it...the average consumer will 100% of the time choose price and sacrifice usability. All we will hear is, "yeah, I went or the 7" because it was cheaper, I dont need the bigger screen anyway, this is just as good and sooo much cheaper".
Edited by antkm1 - 8/25/12 at 8:55pm
post #117 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post


If they start this off at $199...mark my words it will cannibalize the IPad 3 by at least 50-75% this Holiday season. It will be THE GIFT to buy.
Edit: And that kind of scares me. Because despite what people say, the 10" iPad will take a huge hit for no other reason than price. When it all comes down to it...the average consumer will 100% of the time choose price and sacrifice usability. All we will hear is, "yeah, I went or the 7" because it was cheaper, I dont need the bigger screen anyway, this is just as good and sooo much cheaper".

Like the 11" mba over the 13" mba, and 13"mbp over the 15"mbp?

post #118 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by starburst View Post

Dear dasanman69, I hope you're kidding.

Here are Gartner’s figures for worldwide unit sales and market share for tablet computers in 2011 and projections for 2012.

The figures are broken down by operating system. Android includes Samsung’s Galaxy tablets along with modified versions of Android used in Amazon.com Inc.’s Kindle Fire and Barnes & Noble Inc.’s Nook Tablet. Tablets based on Windows will come out later this year with the Oct. 26 release of Windows 8. The report came out before Research in Motion Ltd. announced yet-another delay in its new BlackBerry 10 operating system, which could affect sales for 2012.



iOS (Apple Inc.’s iPad) — 40 million units, 66.6 percent share in 2011; projected 73 million units, 61.4 percent share in 2012



Android (Google Inc.) — 17.3 million units, 28.8 percent share in 2011; projected 37.9 million units, 31.9 percent share in 2012



Windows (Microsoft Corp.) — none in 2011; projected 4.9 million units, 4.1 percent share in 2012.



QNX/BlackBerry (Research in Motion Ltd.) — 807,000 units, 1.3 percent share in 2011; projected 2.6 million units, 2.2 percent share in 2012.



Other — 1.9 million units, 3.2 percent share in 2011; projected 510,000 units, 0.4 percent share in 2012.
re aGartner’s figures for worldwide unit sales and market share for tablet computers in 2011 and projections for 2012.

The figures are broken down by operating system. Android includes Samsung’s Galaxy tablets along with modified versions of Android used in Amazon.com Inc.’s Kindle Fire and Barnes & Noble Inc.’s Nook Tablet. Tablets based on Windows will come out later this year with the Oct. 26 release of Windows 8. The report came out before Research in Motion Ltd. announced yet-another delay in its new BlackBerry 10 operating system, which could affect sales for 2012.



iOS (Apple Inc.’s iPad) — 40 million units, 66.6 percent share in 2011; projected 73 million units, 61.4 percent share in 2012



Android (Google Inc.) — 17.3 million units, 28.8 percent share in 2011; projected 37.9 million units, 31.9 percent share in 2012



Windows (Microsoft Corp.) — none in 2011; projected 4.9 million units, 4.1 percent share in 2012.



QNX/BlackBerry (Research in Motion Ltd.) — 807,000 units, 1.3 percent share in 2011; projected 2.6 million units, 2.2 percent share in 2012.



Other — 1.9 million units, 3.2 percent share in 2011; projected 510,000 units, 0.4 percent share in 2012.



Note:  Apple's Market share for tablets was 66.6% in 2011, projected to be 61.4% in 2012. I believe I remember when Apple's share was over 75%.



            The android smaller tablets have eroded Apple's share and I am for one happy to see Apple respond.



Your point is? Since when has Apple cared about market share? Did they make a cheap net book to counter the ones flooding the market? Have they lowered the price of Macs to compete with PCs? No. None of their product lines have ever been a response to what the competition is doing. Why start now? A smaller iPad will cannibalize sales of the current iPad.
Edited by dasanman69 - 8/25/12 at 9:16pm
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #119 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplication View Post

No, thats ridiculous. Have you forgotten that even now it's not called the iPod Touch...the Android trolls still call it the iTouch!

My theory,
It's referred to commonly as the iTouch because people are too stinking lazy to type it all out. Seriously, twitter and texting have nearly ruined comprehensible type-based writing for normal human beings.

Really people is Pod touch that much more effort?
Edited by antkm1 - 8/25/12 at 10:25pm
post #120 of 208

Dear Dasanman69,

 

Apple has cared about market share from Day One,  and your not kidding your jus . . . . .

I have listened to interviews and presentations of Steve Job's discuss Mac's market share over the years

and Tim Cook discuss the iPhone's share of the world's market share and especially in China.

Apple needs an entry level product in the tablet market, iPad 2's are still too costly for many consumers when they see other $199 tablets on the market. 

Apple has addressed the entry level issue in the phone market by continuing to sell the iPhone 3GS, a three year old phone that by today's standards is an inferior product. An inexpensive 7" tablet would be perfect for those consumers who might buy any other $199 tablet.

It's all about bringing in new customers, whom one day might buy a Mac or a larger more expensive iPad and so forth. In other words maintaining or increasing market share.


Edited by starburst - 8/25/12 at 10:06pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple's 7.85-inch iPad will in fact be named 'iPad mini' - report
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's 7.85-inch iPad will in fact be named 'iPad mini' - report