or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › RIP Neil Armstrong

RIP Neil Armstrong

post #1 of 14

We lost a great American today Neil Armstrong who died of heart complications. A dedicated pioneer in Space Travel and the first American Astronaut to walk on the moon.A gentle man who never had a harsh word to say about anyone. Tonight Neil you are in peace up there and shall always be remembered in our hearts and minds forever.

post #2 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

We lost a great American today Neil Armstrong who died of heart complications. A dedicated pioneer in Space Travel and the first American Astronaut to walk on the moon.A gentle man who never had a harsh word to say about anyone. Tonight Neil you are in peace up there and shall always be remembered in our hearts and minds forever.

You know I started a thread about this on Appleinsider and at least 3 people cared. Probably one of the biggest events in history and I think it's sad more people don't care to comment. I guess they're too caught up in other things ( tiny little things by comparison ). And yes he'll be remembered forever. Long after those other things are forgotten.

Edited by jimmac - 8/30/12 at 9:10am
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Quote:

You know I started a thread about this on Appleinsider and at least 3 people cared. Probably one of the biggest events in history and I think it's sad more people don't care to comment. I guess they're too caught up in other things. And yes he'll be remembered forever. Long after those other things are forgotten.

I don't think the lack of comments is a reflection of how much he meant to everyone. Sometimes its just hard to know what to say, and easier to talk about other stuff.

post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Quote:

Quote:

You know I started a thread about this on Appleinsider and at least 3 people cared. Probably one of the biggest events in history and I think it's sad more people don't care to comment. I guess they're too caught up in other things. And yes he'll be remembered forever. Long after those other things are forgotten.

I don't think the lack of comments is a reflection of how much he meant to everyone. Sometimes its just hard to know what to say, and easier to talk about other stuff.

Well I think Marv seemed to come up with something to express his feelings. Even you did. This was the first human to do this. No one else can say that about setting foot on the moon. It's a pretty big thing. Also as we move farther out in the universe it will always be looked on as one of the first steps ( kind of like the Wright Brothers and flight ). I just think with items of this magnitude it's only proper to acknowledge him and his achievement ( especially now that he's gone ). It is a big deal and it will always be a big deal and needs to be remembered. Just like anything else that has in the long run changed the basic nature of mankind forever.

post #5 of 14

Thanks for expressing your caring about Neil Armstrong who will missed by everyone who shared his triumph in space travel  and the history he made in our lives growing up.

post #6 of 14

I thought I would post on this one more time as it proves this man and the event he took place in did matter to a lot of people who did express their sadness at his passing and support for his achievement. ( just not the idiots here I guess ).

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48861170/ns/technology_and_science-space/

Quote:

Lunar pioneers and VIPs honor astronaut Neil Armstrong

'America has truly lost a legend': Praise is effusive for first man to walk on the moon

post #7 of 14
Quote:

I thought I would post on this one more time as it proves this man and the event he took place in did matter to a lot of people who did express their sadness at his passing and support for his achievement. ( just not the idiots here I guess ).

Quote:

'America has truly lost a legend': Praise is effusive for first man to walk on the moon

Classy, jimmac.  Call people "idiots" because they don't post in a thread that has nothing to do with political outsider. Nice.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Classy, jimmac.  Call people "idiots" because they don't post in a thread that has nothing to do with political outsider. Nice.  

Well like usual if you'd read the entire thread you'd have seen I posted a thread in AO first but got an even worse response.

Neil Armstrong was a great american and shame on you for using this in a political way to throw a little dirt on me ( however it is PO isn't it? ). ( eye's roll if they could )

As you'd say " Wow! Just wow! "

post #9 of 14

What idiots are you pertaining to?

post #10 of 14
Quote:

What idiots are you pertaining to?

He's quoting me saying " The idiots here " because there was barely a mention of Mr. Armstrong's passing. I still maintain it's a sad commentary on this place. This was an important momment and of course SDW was using it to throw a little dirt my way since the subject doesn't belong in PO. I reminded him that if he'd read the entire thread he would have seen I started one in AO. I really think it's a big enough event that it ok to mention it anywhere myself.

post #11 of 14

Well, anything can be construed as political. People bitch and moan about the cost of the space program - saying that the money would be better spent here on Planet Earth. The cost is actually miniscule compared to, for example, our penchant for invading foreign nations who never attacked or threatened us, firing at everything that moves and flattening anything that doesn't, at a cost of $Trillions to the taxpayers.... and then spending huge sums to do reconstruction work - where privileged contractor croneys get the juicy deals.... 

If Romney wins in November, maybe he could reinvigorate the US space program further, by announcing that a manned mission to the planet Kolob will be launched before the end of the decade. 

"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #12 of 14
Quote:

You know I started a thread about this on Appleinsider and at least 3 people cared. Probably one of the biggest events in history and I think it's sad more people don't care to comment. I guess they're too caught up in other things ( tiny little things by comparison ). And yes he'll be remembered forever. Long after those other things are forgotten.

Perhaps its because Armstrong was a really fine example of humanity. The corporate gutter-media weren't that interested because they couldn't rake up any dirt, inappropriate sexual exploits, drinking n' drugging, criminal past or other tawdry examples of human fucked-up-ness. And Armstrong, AFAIK had no connection with Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, the Kardashians, or other examples of cookie-cutter big budget mediocrity with which so many folk, in the both the media and the public at large - seem obsessed.

Whatever... The lunar mission series was a shining example of human endeavor.. and Armstrong was a hero, in my book, as are all those who venture into space and help make it happen. Likewise, the current Mars Curiosity Mission... the world sees what we have accomplished there and think... wow, America really does some awesome stuff that nobody else can even come remotely close to.... at a cost of just $2 billion.

post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

Quote:

Perhaps its because Armstrong was a really fine example of humanity. The corporate gutter-media weren't that interested because they couldn't rake up any dirt, inappropriate sexual exploits, drinking n' drugging, criminal past or other tawdry examples of human fucked-up-ness. And Armstrong, AFAIK had no connection with Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, the Kardashians, or other examples of cookie-cutter big budget mediocrity with which so many folk, in the both the media and the public at large - seem obsessed.

Whatever... The lunar mission series was a shining example of human endeavor.. and Armstrong was a hero, in my book, as are all those who venture into space and help make it happen. Likewise, the current Mars Curiosity Mission... the world sees what we have accomplished there and think... wow, America really does some awesome stuff that nobody else can even come remotely close to.... at a cost of just $2 billion.

Sammi while I do agree with you about him being a fine example of humanity I was complaining about him not being mentioned much by our members here ( which I suppose would go along with your analysis ). The media in general gave him tons of coverage. As they should. I just think the apathy over a great example of what's best about America and such a momentous event for the entire world is appalling. In the future and in the scheme of things this will be viewed as a first step that began to change everything. And yes it was expensive. Firsts usually are When you consider what other things we spend money on that are really stupid like say oh Iraq ( $757.8 billion ) that's really cheap. I suppose part of it is that we haven't been back in over 40 years. So if you just read about it the event might seem less real or relevant. In the scheme of things however 40 years is nothing. I'm really glad you care though and can see it for what it is.

Edited by jimmac - 9/16/12 at 11:47am
post #14 of 14
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › RIP Neil Armstrong