or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung vows to keep fighting Apple in memo to employees

Samsung vows to keep fighting Apple in memo to employees - Page 2

post #41 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriskkalu View Post

This is off topic. Is anyone else having trouble browsing the mobile version of this site on iOS?
Recently it just displays a blank page when you click on a post.
I'm union iPhone 4S, iOS 5x, mobile safari.

Me, too. The new forum software is a disaster on IOS. I don't love it on OSX either but on IOS its useless. I spend more time on other sites now as a result. Why on earth would AI use a CMS and forum software package that works so badly for the specific community it serves? 

post #42 of 76
Quote:
"History has shown there has yet to be a company that has won the hearts and minds of consumers and achieved continuous growth, when its primary means to competition has been the outright abuse of patent law, not the pursuit of innovation.

We trust that the consumers and the market will side with those who prioritize innovation over litigation, and we will prove this beyond doubt."

I can't believe they have the audacity to say this publicly after we all got to see the court evidence. Even Apple's side were surprised at some of the evidence that came to light.

If they won't even accept their guilt in the face of so much evidence, it shows that they truly believe what they did wasn't wrong and they'll most likely do it again. The sooner Apple can cut ties with them altogether, the better.

They go on about innovation but what advancements has the Galaxy line brought to smartphones or tablets that the iPhone/iPad didn't before them?
post #43 of 76

It's "memos to employees" that sealed Samsung's fate in this trial in the first place lol.

LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
post #44 of 76

Samsung's new "Rolex"... 

post #45 of 76

It's sad we live in a time when admitting fault is considered by many as a sign of weakness, where the opposite is actually true.  There's also a contingent of people who somehow think it's okay for one person's hard work to be co-opted for 'everyone's' benefit.

Ripping off other companies is so engrained in Samsung's corporate culture, I don't know if they're capable of acknowledging their behavior for what it is, accepting the consequences, and modifying their practices going forward.

post #46 of 76

Hey Samsung how about this approach. "Although we are disappointed in the ruling on this trial we have been hard at work this past year creating fantastic products that go beyond anything you will see coming from Apple. We hope our loyal customers will share our enthusiasm with our coming release of products."

It's would not be true but what does truth have to do with their business model. 

post #47 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by flabber View Post

I'm a bit baffled on why Samsung is confusing innovation with copying. There's nothing wrong (in my mind at least) with using ideas of someone else to spark your own innovation, and even using a similar material (like glass on the back, rounded corners or whatever) to a degree. But when your products are starting to look like 1-on-1 copies (just look at the charger's connector and shape for example), it's not simply using and adjusting someone else's ideas to fit your own innovation, but it's plain copying.

It's either very arrogant or ignorant of Samsung, and I'm quite happy that they lost. I think they do have great products for consumers (I love their TV's for example), but the Asian market in general has a very high "you do things right so I'll do the same" viewpoint on things. To even state that it will stiffle innovation is a clear sign to me that they have no idea what they're talking about. Nokia's Lumia phone is, although not my personal taste, a great and different looking phone… there are plenty of ways to design/create a unique phone, as long as you put the effort and research in it to come to an end result in your own way.

Bah, I really dislike arrogant and/or ignorant companies who cry and call companies mean when they've been found out.

Well said and I would add the baffling reaction by the android fanboys.
post #48 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trblzr View Post

Samsung's 'pursuit of innovation' method is to go after (pursue) and copy Apple's innovation.

Going forward, Samsung should paraphrase Lexus' motto and claim it to be its own: "In pursuit of Excellent Copying".
post #49 of 76

Samsung is a company that consists of nothing more than hooligans and thugs. Samscum has only been in the business for a short time compared to their Asian counterpart Japan, and yet they've already received the most corrupt company in Asia award.

post #50 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

Samsung keeps using the word "innovation", right after being found guilty of copying other companies' products. I think that word doesn't mean what they think it does.

Copying is korean for innovation ... in Samsung's Translation Engine. 

post #51 of 76

I cannot imagine Samsung 'appealing' to anyone.

post #52 of 76

In the mid '80s Samsung started their journey from being primarily an OEM shop to so called "brand name" by copying Sony... They've simply gotten more brazen over the years... I remember reading a PR puff piece in Fortune magazine on how they were going to change their product lines to be unique and the next CE year was startled at CES to see how much they resembled Sony products of the time. But since Sony had some hardware advantages like the Trinitron tube Samsung TV's were lacking in performance....

post #53 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Why on earth would AI use a CMS and forum software package that works so badly for the specific community it serves? 

This forum software gets better news search engine hits due to the URL structure, html <title> and <meta> description which are specific and detailed for the thread topic. The old software only used id=### to identify the page. Better search engine indexing means more advertising money. Mo' Money = better.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #54 of 76

Reminds me of a song...

I've been caught stealing; 
once when I was 5... 
I enjoy stealing. 
It's just as simple as that.
Well, it's just a simple fact. 
When I want something,
I don't want to pay for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrwjiO1MCVs

post #55 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung's statement to employees notes that a final ruling from the judge still remains, along with other "procedures."

That's absolutely true.

We're still waiting for the judge to consider a Rule 50 order which would include the Tab in the damages - increasing the number substantially.

We're still waiting for the judge to consider whether to treble damages - since the jury found that the infringement was willful.

We're still waiting for the judge to extend the injunction to all the other products that are infringing.

We're still waiting for all the other suits against Samsung where Apple is going after their newer products - but now have legal precedent on their side.

The "other procedures" could be very expensive for Samsung.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #56 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jestrada View Post

...'Samsung said it was "disappointed" to have been found guilty of patent infringement...'

Notice that it says 'dissappointed' but not 'surprised'.  You can't hide the obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trblzr View Post

Samsung's 'pursuit of innovation' method is to go after (pursue) and copy Apple's innovation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyc View Post

They are innovative copiers.  Bazinga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Lam View Post

Samsung's management is really a joke.   I don't think they can survive without heavy government subsidies.

Wow. Nice to see some great first-time posts (and posters) here! Welcome, guys.

post #57 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyc View Post

They are innovative copiers.  Bazinga.

And that should send a warning flag up the pole for any potential new clients. "Trust" is no longer an issue when a component is contracted with Samsung. That's going to make alternative companies more attractive for many.

post #58 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

Idiotic remark. Their stock is still up 5% compared to the day before the trial started.

I am sure it must be up 500% compared to the day before Apple was incorporated.ᵢ What's your point? That no other events of significance have transpired in this company's life?

FYI, here's the daily %changes in Samsung's stock price (since the matter went to the jury):

Aug 21: −0.08%

Aug 22: −1.40%

Aug 23: +1.82%

Aug 24: −0.93%

Aug 27: −7.45%

You do the math.

post #59 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

This forum software gets better news search engine hits due to the URL structure, html <title> and <meta> description which are specific and detailed for the thread topic. The old software only used id=### to identify the page. Better search engine indexing means more advertising money. Mo' Money = better.

That seems like a shortsighted approach. Either AI should modify the CMS or else I am guessing people will drift away as it is such a pita to use. Didn't they do any testing at all? Now I can't read any article on my iPhone, and when i could it was such a pain it just wasn't worth it, scrolling left and right for each line. And the spell check.... 

post #60 of 76
Quote:

Me, too. The new forum software is a disaster on IOS. I don't love it on OSX either but on IOS its useless. I spend more time on other sites now as a result. Why on earth would AI use a CMS and forum software package that works so badly for the specific community it serves? 

I completely agree... Ever since they switched I dont read the comment section because it is not easy to navigate on my iPhone...  It is really a shame...,

post #61 of 76
Quote:

This is off topic. Is anyone else having trouble browsing the mobile version of this site on iOS?

Just goto www.appleinsider.com, you are using an iPhone why are you letting them send you to mobile site, once you go to the full site, it adds a cookie so you will always go to the full site.

2004 PowerBook G4, 2005 PowerMac G5, 2008 MacPro, iPhone 4, 2011 MacBook Pro, White iPhone 4s

2004 PowerBook G4, 2005 PowerMac G5, 2008 MacPro, iPhone 4, 2011 MacBook Pro, White iPhone 4s

post #62 of 76
Quote:

That seems like a shortsighted approach. Either AI should modify the CMS or else I am guessing people will drift away as it is such a pita to use. Didn't they do any testing at all? Now I can't read any article on my iPhone, and when i could it was such a pain it just wasn't worth it, scrolling left and right for each line. And the spell check.... 

It is all about the numbers. Because of the better search engine hits, the site probably has doubled its unique page views, as well as increased its new user count and overall back links significantly. The social media and SEO driven design is the primary focus of Huddler. If you view their website there is no mention of mobile devices. It is all about driving traffic to the site. CMS and forum softwares have never been known to be very mobile friendly although Jelsoft did just release a mobile app for the V Bulletin forum which is the software we previously had here, however due to legacy compatibility issues they still aren't up to speed in SEO capability.

I have quite a bit of experience modifying (hacking) CMS and forum software applications since the days of UBB in Perl on Solaris, however once you hack it, you cannot upgrade except by re-hacking it afterwards. In some cases you can write plugins but most of the time you have to rewrite existing core functionality. In my experience most of the packages that are available are overly complex because they integrate different modules from other platforms for their editors, media embed players, and user management control panels, etc.

It is obvious that AI has already commissioned Huddler to customize this software in order to import the users and threads so they could convert over. I'd be interested to know how they plan to maintain the security updates and feature additions with the customized architecture. From what I have uncovered so far, this software does not seem to be very secure at all.

Edited by mstone - 8/27/12 at 11:47am

post #63 of 76

TALKING OUT OF THE ARSE AGAIN

THESE GUYS MUST LOVE IT FROM BEHIND!!!

post #64 of 76
They failed to provide a believable explanation for why their post-2007 phones looked like iPhones. They just attack Apple again. Trying to make Apple the issue to divert attention away from their own conduct. Incredible. The most damning proof is their reference to "patent abuse." Their view is that Apple shouldn't enforce their patents rights. The only reason they want that is so they can infringe on those patents with impunity.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #65 of 76
Quote:

Yes, something seems broken.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #66 of 76
My point?

That this verdict won't change a rat's ass to the valuation of Samsung
post #67 of 76
Quote:

Idiotic remark. Their stock is still up 5% compared to the day before the trial started.

I think your statement actually fits your post better.

It's irrelevant that their stock is up 5% compared to the day before the trial started. The only meaningful comparison is what their stock would be if they hadn't lost as opposed to the current result. The market felt that was worth 7%. In other words:

For example, let's say Samsung's stock is at $100 (simplified for illustrative purposes) when the trial starts.

It rises to $113 right before the verdict (possibly because of overall market forces).

They lose, and it falls to $105. 

That means they lost $8 (or roughly 7%), mostly due to the verdict (as it happened after hours).

If they hadn't lost, they'd likely still be at $113. If they had won, they'd be even higher.

post #68 of 76
Quote:

My point?
That this verdict won't change a rat's ass to the valuation of Samsung

Your point is wrong.

If they hadn't lost, they'd likely be up even higher than 5%, wouldn't they? You're looking only at the net change from the start of the trial to the end, which isn't valid, because it doesn't take into account what the stock price would have been valued at had they not lost (or won).

This is really simple business principles. It's similar to the following: if I have $1,000 and put it in a bank that earns 0.50% interest when I could have invested it in a low-risk investment that pays 10% interest, I didn't make 0.50% — I really lost 9.5%.

post #69 of 76
My point? That this verdict won't change a rat's ass to the valuation of Samsung

Already has. Greatly. And has affected their past (existing monetary holdings), present (stock price), and future (legal incapability of doing what they've done so flagrantly before, and with more potential suits coming down the pipe).

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #70 of 76

Samung, this is what your letter to your employees should have been:

"We have to let go of the notion that for Samsung to win Apple has to lose. For Samsung to win Samsung has to do a REALLY GOOD JOB". (like Steve would have said)

Learn from the best Samsung. Learn from Steve. A good leader doesn't bring excuses, brings solutions.

If I was your employee, this is the way your memo would have sounded to me:

"Sorry guys, we really tried to fight so that you can keep your jobs. But we are powerless and we couldn't do much."

And after that I would have ask for a job transfer from the assembly line to one of the executive offices or the design offices.

Dear AppleInsider readers, Android users, Windows Metro users and even iOS users, I say we all send Samsung and flood their mailboxes with these two things:

1. examples of DIFFERENT usable user interfaces and DIFFERENT hardware designs for their phones and tablets (if Nokia and Microsoft have done it, it shouldn't be so difficult)

and

2. our resumes, applying to be designers and executives (I think we would just need our high school diplomas or GEDs)

post #71 of 76
Originally Posted by rumpels View Post
Samung, this is what your letter to your employees should have been:

"We have to let go of the notion that for Samsung to win Apple has to lose. For Samsung to win Samsung has to do a REALLY GOOD JOB". (like Steve would have said)

Wait, you want them to copy Apple MORE?! lol.gif

post #72 of 76
I'm just glad we got to read the memo....'cause in two weeks, it'll be deleted!

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

post #73 of 76

yes, this site is blank on iPhone.

post #74 of 76

oops, it has been fixed... it is ok now on my iPhone.

post #75 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macncheez View Post

Reminds me of a song...

I've been caught stealing; 
once when I was 5... 
I enjoy stealing. 
It's just as simple as that.
Well, it's just a simple fact. 
When I want something,
I don't want to pay for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrwjiO1MCVs

Apt, and the whining on MacRumours (amongst the other tech websites) sounds very much like Perry Farrell's refrains.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #76 of 76
Samsung vows to keep fighting?

It looks like they copied that, as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjEcj8KpuJw

It's just a flesh wound.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung vows to keep fighting Apple in memo to employees