or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple brings online Specialist chat support to UK, Germany, more
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple brings online Specialist chat support to UK, Germany, more

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Following an extended overnight period of downtime, Apple's online store returned on Wednesday with live online chat with company Specialists in four new countries.

Customers in the U.K., Germany, Spain and Brazil can now chat with a trained specialist about the iPhone and iPad, according to Pocket-lint. Company employees will help customers make the purchase that is right for them, and even help them set up features such as e-mail and iCloud backups once they receive their iOS device.

In addition to a regular text chat, customers in the four new countries can also take part in a guided tour where an Apple Specialist can share their computer screen to show information to the customer.

"Our Specialists will take the time to understand your needs and answer all your questions," Apple's website reads. "We won't work on commission, so we care only about making sure you're completely satisfied with your purchase."

The new online Specialist help with screen sharing is unique to the four countries where it launched on Wednesday. The service is not available in the U.S., where a majority of Apple's brick-and-mortar retail stores are located.

Specialists


Apple's expanded online support comes as a new survey revealed that the company's helpful employee assistance helps to drive product sales. The NPD Group found that nearly 60 percent of customers who had an experience with Apple's technical support said it made them more likely to purchase another Apple product.
post #2 of 11

next thing they'll be downgrading the genius bar to a bunch of chat terminals....oh dear, oh dear where for art thou Stevie

post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbox View Post

next thing they'll be downgrading the genius bar to a bunch of chat terminals....oh dear, oh dear where for art thou Stevie

I wouldn't panic quite yet. Much as I get depressed whenever the name Browett is mentioned, this is not necessarily a bad move. A chat service is a useful additional means to access expert advice. There are many people who live too far away from a Apple Store to take advantage of the Genius Bar.

post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman 
A chat service is a useful additional means to access expert advice. There are many people who live too far away from a Apple Store to take advantage of the Genius Bar.

It is but it doesn't look like that's what this is. It seems to be a sales and setup support channel for iPhones and iPads.

A full online Genius Bar like the forum section we have would be much better except only common problems would be addressed publicly.
post #5 of 11

I STRONGLY DISLIKE CHATS! They are a way of saying:  

 

I don't really want to SPEAK to you in real time, like over the phone, I'd rather set up a barrier for you, by making you type, so to wear you out, get you frustrated, so that you Quit sooner! 

 

In theory, the Chat Side could say:

we just want the customer to really focus, and that's why we make them type their thoughts, so that they become a searchable text, which we might use later… 

 

To me, that's a JOKE! It should be Voice, or maybe even a Video Chat, so that it's almost like being there in person! The other truth might be that Chat Side, Apple in this case too, don't want the customer to get too comfortable, thus making the Conversation, Visit, last too long! They want to processes as many Chats as possible! Fast! Sell, Sell, Sell!!!! 

 

With Dictation Software, our Talking can become Searchable Text anyway, and, between Typos and Dictation Imperfections, it might not be that far apart. But then again, I strongly suspect that the philosophy of the Chat  - SELL FAST, NEXT "CALLER", FAST, FAST!!!! 

 

The only Excuse in the Chat Favor might be that ISPs charge a lot for Data, and thus Text is Cheaper than VOIP, Voice Over IP, which is Audio, and thus more Data Heavy!!! 

 

Nothing is better than IN PERSON appointment, but FaceTime could and SHOULD be available as the CLOSEST Alternative!!! Text Chat are a JOKE!!!! 

 

Go  Apple, AAPL!!!

Reply

 

Go  Apple, AAPL!!!

Reply
post #6 of 11

hopefully no-one takes my comment too seriously ;)

post #7 of 11

I think this is a good idea, at least for a pilot test. Not everyone is close to an Apple Store and from what I hear, the Genius bars are super busy as it is. This will help answer simple questions without clogging space up at the Genius queue.

post #8 of 11

Probably so that they could have people who (for illogical reasons) type "Apple are" instead of "Apple is".

Don't get me started, except to note that they don't say "Great Britain are..."

post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by macologist View Post

I STRONGLY DISLIKE CHATS! They are a way of saying:  

 

I don't really want to SPEAK to you in real time, like over the phone, I'd rather set up a barrier for you, by making you type, so to wear you out, get you frustrated, so that you Quit sooner! 

 

In theory, the Chat Side could say:

we just want the customer to really focus, and that's why we make them type their thoughts, so that they become a searchable text, which we might use later… 

 

To me, that's a JOKE! It should be Voice, or maybe even a Video Chat, so that it's almost like being there in person! The other truth might be that Chat Side, Apple in this case too, don't want the customer to get too comfortable, thus making the Conversation, Visit, last too long! They want to processes as many Chats as possible! Fast! Sell, Sell, Sell!!!! 

 

With Dictation Software, our Talking can become Searchable Text anyway, and, between Typos and Dictation Imperfections, it might not be that far apart. But then again, I strongly suspect that the philosophy of the Chat  - SELL FAST, NEXT "CALLER", FAST, FAST!!!! 

 

The only Excuse in the Chat Favor might be that ISPs charge a lot for Data, and thus Text is Cheaper than VOIP, Voice Over IP, which is Audio, and thus more Data Heavy!!! 

 

Nothing is better than IN PERSON appointment, but FaceTime could and SHOULD be available as the CLOSEST Alternative!!! Text Chat are a JOKE!!!! 


Wouldn't help in getting new customers, since FaceTime is limited to existing Apple customers.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by macologist View Post

I STRONGLY DISLIKE CHATS! They are a way of saying:  

I don't really want to SPEAK to you in real time, like over the phone, I'd rather set up a barrier for you, by making you type, so to wear you out, get you frustrated, so that you Quit sooner!

Texting/messaging is quite a popular way of communicating:

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/2223/teens-cellphones-texting-phone-calls

It makes some things easier like posting a crash log, which you can't do over the phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark 
This will help answer simple questions without clogging space up at the Genius queue.

If it works like the Genius Bar definitely but for some reason they don't say they will cover questions about your Mac, just iPhone and iPad. An online Genius Bar would be so much more efficient.

Normal Genius Bar:
- make an appointment
- haul computer to appointment
- wait in queue
- issue resolved
- haul computer back

time to solution - at least 24 hours

Online Genius Bar:
- type "hey, how do I... "
- reply " you just have to... "

time to solution - 5 minutes

If they can't resolve the issue, they can tell you if you need to bring the computer in or sell their training events.
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post


Wouldn't help in getting new customers, since FaceTime is limited to existing Apple customers.

 

Oops, when I used words "FaceTime" I simply meant any kind of Online Video Chat, and not specifically Apple's FaceTime Video Chat Application! Yes, I understand that it might be Awkward for Apple to use Skype in addition or instead of its own FaceTime!!! Video with Screen Sharing, where Apple Tech Support can see the User's Mac. They already have it in https://ara2.apple.com/GetRemoteAdvisor.action  which is powered by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomgar So, if Apple can Unify it with Video Chat like FaceTime and or Skype, it would be the best of all worlds, plus Text Chat, like in Skype!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


Texting/messaging is quite a popular way of communicating:
http://pewresearch.org/pubs/2223/teens-cellphones-texting-phone-calls 

It makes some things easier like posting a crash log, which you can't do over the phone.
If it works like the Genius Bar definitely but for some reason they don't say they will cover questions about your Mac, just iPhone and iPad. An online Genius Bar would be so much more efficient.
Normal Genius Bar:
- make an appointment
- haul computer to appointment
- wait in queue
- issue resolved
- haul computer back
time to solution - at least 24 hours
Online Genius Bar:
- type "hey, how do I... "
- reply " you just have to... "
time to solution - 5 minutes
If they can't resolve the issue, they can tell you if you need to bring the computer in or sell their training events.

 

Yes, Text Chats can be useful, but, as I wrote above: Video + Text Chat, plus Screen Sharing Remote Control - all those things Unified would be The Best Of All Worlds!!!!

As to Texting, it's OK for situations like: Honey, buy milk on your way home!
Otherwise, Texting is not a replacement for Email…. In Email one can see Long Conversations, Threads, At A Glance. Forwarding Email is possible…. 
Texting is a Cheaper Alternative for Kids, because the parents don't want to pay a full Cell Phone Bill… 
It is silly to do Serious Business via Texting instead of Email…  
 
I totally agree about Online Genious Bar, particularly if it was to use Unified Video Chat like FaceTime, and or Skype, it would be the best of all worlds, plus Text Chat, like in Skype!
 
But, I don't want to turn this into a Rant again Texting… To each their own!

I just happen to have seen a lot of misunderstandings, screw ups in business, when Texting was used instead of Email… In all those cases Texting was used by Tech Unsophisticated people who thought that Texting would be better than Email. So they ended up losing $$$ due to the screw ups!!!

 

Go  Apple, AAPL!!!

Reply

 

Go  Apple, AAPL!!!

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple brings online Specialist chat support to UK, Germany, more