or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Want to know how Republicans and Democrats will run the country? Observe their national conventions.

Want to know how Republicans and Democrats will run the country? Observe their national conventions. - Page 2

post #41 of 98

Democrats: "The government is the only thing we all belong to."

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #42 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Without Reagan forcing the brokered convention, he would not have had the political clout to succeed in 1980.  Your political party had rules.  They also had a process for changing the rules.  They ignored both.

Hell, your candidate should FUCKING LOVE WHAT RON PAUL DID.  He found every loophole possible for his own personal gain.  Sound familiar?  Romney's taxes?  You have no problem with finding every goddamn loophole in the tax code and shortchanging America as a result.  Why the problem with loopholes here?  Oh wait, because it's inconvenient to your guy.  What a fucking sack of hypocrites.

1.  But Reagan had a real chance to do so.  Ron Paul wasn't going to force a brokered convention.  

2.  That's a tough comparison to make.  Minimizing one's tax burden doesn't equate to exploiting technicalities to potentially disenfranchise millions of voters.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #43 of 98

Recording the DNC convention (it's Wednesday morning for me)...  had a short peek, though.  The crowd is very diverse.  Nice to see.  So refreshing after the mostly plain image last week.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #44 of 98

Some boring data just for the heck of it.

Grade level for various speeches.  Got texts from net and ran an analysis in a word processor.  Will do more later.

Mitt: 7.7.

Ann: 5.9.

Michelle: 12.4.

Castro: 7.3.

Clint: 5.0.

Priebus: 8.1

Edited by Bergermeister - 9/5/12 at 6:54am

post #45 of 98

You don't run Ann Romney's speech through? Don't be a sexist.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #46 of 98

I'm not even sure what the point is.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #47 of 98

Michelle Says “I” or “Me” 83 times

Quote:

In her address to the Democratic Convention Tuesday evening, First Lady Michelle Obama used the words “I” or “me” 83 times, an average of more than three self-references a minute during her 25 minute speech.

The emphasis on herself is of note not only because of the strikingly personal nature of the speech, but because of the remarkable suggestion by the first lady that her political views and those of her husband arise much from their own experiences than a reasoned assessment of policies and facts.

Time and again in her remarks, Michelle cites examples from her life and President Obama’s that lead to policies they have tried to implement during his presidency.

From the transcript:

So when it comes to rebuilding our economy, Barack is thinking about folks like my dad and like his grandmother.  He’s thinking about the pride that comes from a hard day’s work.  That’s why he signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act to help women get equal pay for equal work.  (Applause.)

That’s why he cut taxes for working families and small businesses, and fought to get the auto industry back on its feet.  (Applause.)

Michelle talks about how deeply in student loan debt she and her husband were, saying:

That’s why Barack has fought so hard to increase student aid and keep interest rates down — (applause) — because he wants every young person to fulfill their promise and be able to attend college without a mountain of debt.  (Applause.)

President Obama’s personal experiences, she suggests, guide his entire political outlook, from economic policy to gay marriage.

So in the end, for Barack, these issues aren’t political — they’re personal.  Because Barack knows what it means when a family struggles.  He knows what it means to want something more for your kids and grandkids.  Barack knows the American Dream because he’s lived it.  (Applause.)

And he wants everyone in this country — everyone — to have that same opportunity, no matter who we are, or where we’re from, or what we look like, or who we love.  (Applause.)

Obama has been criticized here and elsewhere for conducting a self-indulgent presidency in which he focused on his personal priorities rather than securing the economy.

Writing in today’s Wall Street Journal, Holman Jenkins notes that Obama misused the stimulus to fund Democratic priorities and spent his political capital on health reform instead of focusing on issues like revamping the tax system.

Bill Clinton, who speaks to the Democratic convention Wednesday night, once lamented that he didn’t have a world-historical crisis to deal with on his watch. The irony is that President Obama had one and was too busy with his own priorities to notice or give the country the leadership it needed . . .

Faster growth would have done a lot more to advance Mr. Obama’s own professed aims—improved access to health care, jobs and opportunity—than any of his own big initiatives have done. Faster growth would have done a lot more to prepare the country to face its large challenges, with less conflict and less zero-sum bitterness, than any post-partisan magic he hoped to spread around.

In that context, it’s not surprising that Mrs. Obama used the word “I” – including six uses of “I’ve” – 59 times, and “me” 24 times.

In her own convention speech, which was in its own ways self-indulgent, Ann Romney nevertheless managed to limit herself to 60 self-references.

post #48 of 98

post #49 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Recording the DNC convention (it's Wednesday morning for me)...  had a short peek, though.  The crowd is very diverse.  Nice to see.  So refreshing after the mostly plain image last week.

Yes, the "plain" image (which is RACIAL CODING on your part).  That image was put forth by the media.  Had you flipped channels, you'd have seen something very different. 

post #50 of 98

By the way, the Democratic convention has been a near disaster thus far.  Clinton speaking during the NFL opener.  Obama with 50,000 less people at his acceptance.  Having it in state that he has no chance of winning.  Removing "God-given" from the official platform.  A radical, pro-abortion agenda.  Cartoon character speakers and celebs, like Eva Longoria and Sandra Fluke.  The national debt topping $16 Trillion on the first day of the convention.  Total message disarray on the "Are You Better Off?" question.  No one is really paying attention right after the holiday weekend, which the ratings and polls will reflect shortly.  No one believes that Bill Clinton really wants Obama to win.  Face it...it's one big shit show. 

post #51 of 98

post #52 of 98

"Once you vote black you never go back"

Those racist Republicans.

Oh, wait...

post #53 of 98

Looking forward to today's speeches, but I have a long delay before I can watch them (time zone difference and a soccer match I have to watch live tonight).

BTW, the reason behind the grading (which was just a simple run-through) is to give a ball-park of where the speech lies so that I can give advice to students here (in Japan) who like to use them to practice their English.  Flesch-Kincaid grade level is just one guide, but actually one that is used to check many documents in the US.  Just thought I would share here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flesch–Kincaid_readability_test

"The F-K formula was first used by the US Army for assessing the difficulty of technical manuals in 1978 and soon after became the Department of Defense military standard. The commonwealth of Pennsylvania was the first state in the US to require that automobile insurance policies be written at no higher than a ninth grade level of reading difficulty, as measured by the F-K formula. This is now a common requirement in many other states and for other legal documents such as insurance policies."

I only ran a check on a drag-and-dropped document.  There can be punctuation marks in a speech that would not normally appear in written text.  I did not try to check for that ad just ran the script.

There's a new word processing app out that checks density levels within text, something I might play with this weekend.  F-K works on the document as a whole whereas this new app checks each paragraph.  (Of course, F-K can be used to do this, but it would be tedious to select and check each.)

Edited by Bergermeister - 9/5/12 at 4:24pm

post #54 of 98

post #55 of 98

Any comments from the OP about recent "votes" at the DNC convention?

post #56 of 98

Not from the OP, but from me.  I started a new thread about it.  The DNC pulled an RNC with their voice votes.  It's bullshit.  

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #57 of 98

What, BR? The party you support is no better than the party you despise? The emperor has no clothes?

Join the club.

post #58 of 98

False equivalence.  The GOP is many many degrees worse.  I am vocally upset about the DNC shenanigans, however, they are still leagues better than the GOP.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #59 of 98
Quote:

False equivalence.  The GOP is many many degrees worse.  I am vocally upset about the DNC shenanigans, however, they are still leagues better than the GOP.

I like how you get to just declare this.

post #60 of 98

It's in the platforms.  It's in the events of the last decade.  Yes, I didn't support my statement explicitly here, but I believe the totality of my postings certainly does.

The Democrats have marriage equality in the party platform.  The GOP has legislated discrimination in the party platform.  The latter is abominable.  That's just one teeny example.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #61 of 98
Quote:

It's in the platforms.  It's in the events of the last decade.  Yes, I didn't support my statement explicitly here, but I believe the totality of my postings certainly does.

The Democrats have marriage equality in the party platform.  The GOP has legislated discrimination in the party platform.  The latter is abominable.  That's just one teeny example.

Oh I get that you have a strong opinion about the relative evil and corruptness of these two branches of the establishment party.

post #62 of 98

So what's your fucking point, then?

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #63 of 98
Quote:

So what's your fucking point, then?

Just that you assert your opinion like it is indisputable fact and act as if anyone who sees it differently is an idiot.

post #64 of 98

The GOP is objectively worse.  The Democrats didn't hold the country hostage over a completely fabricated noncrisis.  The Democrats didn't hide the true cost of two wars and then cry foul when the money was actually accounted for in the yearly budget.  These are facts.  Anyone who does attempt to push a false-reality, a revisionist history with no connection to the observable world--those folks are either liars or idiots.  

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #65 of 98
Quote:

The GOP is objectively worse.

See, there you go.

Quote:

The Democrats didn't hold the country hostage over a completely fabricated noncrisis.

What's most frightening is that you actually believe that.

Quote:

The Democrats didn't hide the true cost of two wars and then cry foul when the money was actually accounted for in the yearly budget.

I notice you limit your accusation here to only hiding the true costs of two wars.

Quote:

Anyone who does attempt to push a false-reality, a revisionist history with no connection to the observable world--those folks are either liars or idiots.  

Agreed. And I imagine you assume the Democrats are never guilty of exactly that.

post #66 of 98

Not never guilty, but not nearly as often and not to the same egregious degree.  Nice strawman you have of me, there.

And the debt ceiling was completely manufactured crisis.  You are not entitled to your own alternate set of facts.  See, when your view of reality does not contain facts (like your nonsensical denial of evolution), you lose your right to be taken seriously.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #67 of 98
Quote:

Not never guilty, but not nearly as often and not to the same egregious degree.

There you go again. lol.gif

Quote:

And the debt ceiling was completely manufactured crisis.

In what way?

Quote:

You are not entitled to your own alternate set of facts.  See, when your view of reality does not contain facts (like your nonsensical denial of evolution), you lose your right to be taken seriously.

Nor are you, though we are each entitled to our own interpretation of the facts. Clearly we have differing opinions and interpretations of many facts. The difference is that you assume anyone that holds an opinion and interpretation different from yours is an idiot disconnected from reality. With that (not to mention your obvious partisanship and virulent responses toward those with whom you disagree) you give up your right to be taken seriously.

post #68 of 98

Denying evolution requires denying the entire foundation of modern biology.  You have no right to be taken seriously in that regard.  

I'm not rehashing the entire debt noncrisis argument.  There are plenty of threads in which this was fully discussed and plenty of objective sources a few mouseclicks away.  Sorry, not going with this any further with you.  

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #69 of 98
Quote:

Denying evolution requires denying the entire foundation of modern biology.  You have no right to be taken seriously in that regard.

I'm fully aware of your strongly held opinion on that subject.

Quote:

I'm not rehashing the entire debt noncrisis argument.  There are plenty of threads in which this was fully discussed and plenty of objective sources a few mouseclicks away.  Sorry, not going with this any further with you.  

OK. I get it.

post #70 of 98

Yea like the health care crisis wasn't manufactured. Then the law written behind closed door and passed on a bogus procedural move. The media allies couldn't be bothered to get out of their seats to write about it or maybe too busy painting the Tea Party as racist.

post #71 of 98

Queue: "No, that was a real crisis and the Democrats did what they had to do to get around the obstructionist Republicans."

post #72 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Yea like the health care crisis wasn't manufactured. 

Yup, 8 annual 9/11s due to lack of health insurance is a made-up crisis.  We spent over a trillion dollars based on the deaths of 3000.  20,000+ per anum?  Who gives a shit, am I right?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/20/us-usa-healthcare-deaths-idUSBRE85J15720120620

MJ, your ridiculous post doesn't change these facts.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #73 of 98
Quote:

Yup, 8 annual 9/11s due to lack of health insurance is a made-up crisis.  We spent over a trillion dollars based on the deaths of 3000.  20,000+ per anum?  Who gives a shit, am I right?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/20/us-usa-healthcare-deaths-idUSBRE85J15720120620

Ha. Mission Accomplished right?

post #74 of 98

TV viewership for the open nights (last week, this week)

4 million more for the DNC than for the RNC.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/1st-night-of-democratic-national-convention-reaches-262m-viewers-nearly-4m-more-than-rnc/2012/09/05/f0e372f6-f7cd-11e1-a93b-7185e3f88849_story.html

How in the heck does Nielsen figure this out?

Also data on Twitter:

Michelle's speech got more tweets than Mitt's.  I wonder if there is a usage difference between liberals and conservatives?

post #75 of 98

No.  The health reform law was a good first step.  Unfortunately all the major provisions don't kick in until 2014.  Unlike some Republican presidents, I won't declare Mission Accomplished until the mission is...actually accomplished.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #76 of 98
Quote:

And your ridiculous claims about the national debt not being a crisis doesn't change the fact of it.

But more importantly, the key issue is the proposed "solutions" to these crises. The solutions that you and your party propose will do nothing to fix either of them and will, in fact, make them worse with the health care "solution" contributing more to the debt crisis. But...oh well.

post #77 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

TV viewership for the open nights (last week, this week)

4 million more for the DNC than for the RNC.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/1st-night-of-democratic-national-convention-reaches-262m-viewers-nearly-4m-more-than-rnc/2012/09/05/f0e372f6-f7cd-11e1-a93b-7185e3f88849_story.html

How in the heck does Nielsen figure this out?

Also data on Twitter:

Michelle's speech got more tweets than Mitt's.  I wonder if there is a usage difference between liberals and conservatives?

Are you going to continue littering this thread with irrelevant and meaningless "factoids"?

post #78 of 98
Quote:

Here's another interesting fact.

According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), since 1973, roughly 50 million legal induced abortions have been performed in the United States.

That's 50,000,000 less people the government can tax. 50,000,000 fewer chances that someone will become a scientist who discovers the cure for cancer or an unlimited energy source.

Do we really want to see how far down the rabbit hole goes?

post #79 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

And your ridiculous claims about the national debt not being a crisis doesn't change the fact of it.

But more importantly, the key issue is the proposed "solutions" to these crises. The solutions that you and your party propose will do nothing to fix either of them and will, in fact, make them worse with the health care "solution" contributing more to the debt crisis. But...oh well.

The debt ceiling and the national debt are two very different things that were intentionally conflated to manufacture a crisis, take the country hostage, and eventually caused our credit rating to be lowered.  For someone who's soooooooooooo Independent, you bought the bullshit conflation hook, line, and sinker.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #80 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Here's another interesting fact.

According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), since 1973, roughly 50 million legal induced abortions have been performed in the United States.

That's 50,000,000 less people the government can tax. 50,000,000 fewer chances that someone will become a scientist who discovers the cure for cancer or an unlimited energy source.

Do we really want to see how far down the rabbit hole goes?

Not going to let you change the subject and start up a full fledged abortion debate between those Pro-Birth and Pro-Choice.

-Sagan

-Sagan
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Want to know how Republicans and Democrats will run the country? Observe their national conventions.