or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › High-quality images compare alleged next-gen iPhone, iPhone 4S front assemblies
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

High-quality images compare alleged next-gen iPhone, iPhone 4S front assemblies - Page 2

post #41 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

 Sadly, American men, generally speaking, cling to sexual stereotypes that would forbid anything that may be considered effeminate. Even over-the-shoulder messenger bags are many times ridiculed as a woman's purse, and I live in liberal Southern California.

I think it is more of a habits than conveniences. Most smartphones still ring loud enough to be heard above city noises, put them in the front compartment helps too. Candy bar phones usually go into belt pounches rather than pockets. Unzipping the purse for a phone is just natural for Asian men, that's all.

post #42 of 55

That music! I have never been so moved. Bravo, sir, you are a hero!

post #43 of 55
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
That music! I have never been so moved. Bravo, sir, you are a hero!

 

Taken as itself, the music isn't too bad. I liked it, at least. But there's no real explanation for it as the backdrop for an iPhone parts video, unless we take the definition that this is the music that will be played at the funeral of Android after this iPhone is released.

post #44 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

I think it is more of a habits than conveniences. Most smartphones still ring loud enough to be heard above city noises, put them in the front compartment helps too. Candy bar phones usually go into belt pounches rather than pockets. Unzipping the purse for a phone is just natural for Asian men, that's all.

 It is funny how smartphone companies are trying to reduce the number of steps it takes to access a phone's functions via their software, yet increasing the size of the phone increases the number of steps it takes to physically access the phone.

 

For example, reaching around to a bag that is not always in the same orientation on the body, unzipping a compartment, locating the phone in the compartment, removing the phone from the compartment while repositioning the phone into the upright position in the hand. That's a lot of steps to take before even accessing the lock screen. Meanwhile, if the phone is in a pants pocket, you reach into the pocket and pull out the phone. Two steps. Much faster.

 

And all of that is before you consider the ergonomics of one-handed phone use. The goal of every manufacturer should be to create a phone that is as small as possible with a display as large as possible. Admittedly, Apple still employs a rather large top and bottom bezel compared with some of its competitors, but they are using their own styling as every other company is.

When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
post #45 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


AnandTech expressed thoughts on that. I tend to agree with them. Its placement make it better suited as a sheild for the in-cell display electronics, not for NFC.

 

I will note that it's placement is in the coveted top "window" on the back of the device. And NFC antennas aren't really antennas as much as they are inducers, and different rules tend to apply in that respect. And while we're on that subject, I think too much consideration is being given to the "optimum" antenna design. Keep in mind that the range we want is best measured in inches, not feet, yards, or miles, which tends to dispel the "22-meter long" antenna requirement. (Or 11m dp.)

post #46 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

 It is funny how smartphone companies are trying to reduce the number of steps it takes to access a phone's functions via their software, yet increasing the size of the phone increases the number of steps it takes to physically access the phone.

 

If you keep in a purse, a phone perhaps an inch taller isn't going to make much difference. And all of the assumes you're not one of those people whose phone has already been permanently welded to their hands.

 

One might also point out that in the case of NFC, we're replacing a credit card that is almost certainly stored in a wallet and in a pocket or purse. Unlike the aforementioned phone that's probably already at hand...

post #47 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

 

If you keep in a purse, a phone perhaps an inch taller isn't going to make much difference. And all of the assumes you're not one of those people whose phone has already been permanently welded to their hands...

 My point was that the larger the phone the less likely you can fit it in your pants pocket. You would have to agree that physically accessing a phone from a pants pocket is much easier and more convenient than accessing it from a bag you're carrying.

 

I concede if you already carry a phone in a bag, it doesn't matter much how big it is, but then why not just get a tablet with telephony?

When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
post #48 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

 My point was that the larger the phone the less likely you can fit it in your pants pocket. You would have to agree that physically accessing a phone from a pants pocket is much easier and more convenient than accessing it from a bag you're carrying.

 

I concede if you already carry a phone in a bag, it doesn't matter much how big it is, but then why not just get a tablet with telephony?

 

That's probably another reason why Apple made the phone taller, but not significantly wider (like the Note).

 

And part of the tablet issue is that it looks stupid holding one up to your ear. You'd need a headset or a dick tracy watch with mic/speaker. All that said, I remember a day when lots of people wandered around with a Day Planner or Filofax in their hands. Walking around with, say, a 7" tablet isn't that far removed.

 

What we REALLY need, IMHO, is a way to own a phone AND a tablet AND a computer, all with the same "number", and the ability to route calls and messages to the device... err... at hand.

post #49 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post
...I remember a day when lots of people wandered around with a Day Planner or Filofax in their hands. Walking around with, say, a 7" tablet isn't that far removed...

my preferred medium for note taking is a Mead 5"x8" lined notepad.  Oddly enough, it's almost the same size as the rumored iPad Mini.  However I've always thought it was too small.  Granted an 8.5"x11" is just too big most times when at meetings.  but that's off topic.

post #50 of 55

I also am just a little skeptical of these photos. The reason is Cook said Apple was doubling down on security. Now we've seen what allegedly is the entire iPhone. But not one part of the alleged new iPad mini(or whatever it will be called)? So captain obvious says either there isn't going to be an iPad mini or they really are doubling down on security and we're all being flim-flammed on this one. I will buy what ever it looks like and be happy but if it were me, I'd like just a little wider phone.

post #51 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

 

That's probably another reason why Apple made the phone taller, but not significantly wider (like the Note).

 

And part of the tablet issue is that it looks stupid holding one up to your ear. You'd need a headset or a dick tracy watch with mic/speaker. All that said, I remember a day when lots of people wandered around with a Day Planner or Filofax in their hands. Walking around with, say, a 7" tablet isn't that far removed.

 

What we REALLY need, IMHO, is a way to own a phone AND a tablet AND a computer, all with the same "number", and the ability to route calls and messages to the device... err... at hand.

 I think the simplest solution would be to remove voice calls completely. Text messages and email are just as efficient as voice calls and I would argue less intrusive as well. Email clients have already solved your problem and in a way where you can answer the communication at your leisure instead of requiring your attention immediately. I think that's why video calls have never really taken off, not because there hasn't been ease of use or ubiquity, but because it's going the wrong direction in communication convenience. Not many people want to be video recorded while placing a call. You have to "prepare" for it more than a voice call. The only time voice or video calls are appropriate are for intimate moments either for personal or business purposes, using a dedicated piece of technology for it, otherwise a written message should suffice.

When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
post #52 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

I think he just wants the curved back design of 3GS back.

And that's fine. I miss the original iPhone's casing look and feel. That does not mean that the device has not changed simply because it's using a single element one does not find as aesthetically pleasing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

I will note that it's placement is in the coveted top "window" on the back of the device. And NFC antennas aren't really antennas as much as they are inducers, and different rules tend to apply in that respect. And while we're on that subject, I think too much consideration is being given to the "optimum" antenna design. Keep in mind that the range we want is best measured in inches, not feet, yards, or miles, which tends to dispel the "22-meter long" antenna requirement. (Or 11m dp.)

I've never heard NFC described in meters. Everything I've read has an expected range of less than 2" to make the the loop with a max range well under 1 foot.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #53 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


And that's fine. I miss the original iPhone's casing look and feel. That does not mean that the device has not changed simply because it's using a single element one does not find as aesthetically pleasing.
I've never heard NFC described in meters. Everything I've read has an expected range of less than 2" to make the the loop with a max range well under 1 foot.

 

Part of the Anadtech reasoning was that the wavelength for NFC works out to be 22 meters, which means that the "optimum" antenna design would be an 11 meter dipole, hence there's no room for a tightly coiled antenna in the window space provided. My point was that, given the transmission distances involved (a couple of inches, as you state) I'm not entirely sure that you need the optimum design.

post #54 of 55
Originally Posted by SgtFire View Post
The reason is Cook said Apple was doubling down on security.

 

Come ON. This is worse than misuse of the sandpaper quote and as bad as pretending Apple owns rounded rectangles.

post #55 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

Maybe the new chip is an ANT+ receiver. How cool would that be?

The 3GS and later (including 4S) receive ANT+ using Apple's custom firmware driving the Broadcom WiFi SDR baseband.

 

The two ANT+ devices it works with are the Nike+ Remote Watch and the Nike+ shoe sensor.

They are identifiable as only using ANT+ by the Dynastream ANT+ device inside. 

 

I wonder if Apple will still include ANT+ compatibility in the iPhone 5, as the newest Nike+ devices are Bluetooth 4.0.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › High-quality images compare alleged next-gen iPhone, iPhone 4S front assemblies