or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iOS 6 3D Flyovers aim to be more helpful, less creepy than Google Street View
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iOS 6 3D Flyovers aim to be more helpful, less creepy than Google Street View - Page 2

post #41 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Spin it how you want, but working in NYC I can tell you that iOS 6's maps app is way, way less useful than iOS 5. It will be a dramatic downgrade. No subway directions, no street view so you know what the storefront looks like... GPS doesn't work great in the city anyway... I expect Apple to have a PR nightmare on its hands next month...

As long as a free Google app with streetview is available, I don't see this as much of a PR issue.
post #42 of 162

I rarely use Street View because I hardly use an old-style 'PC' any more, and definately dont use one around the time I need these types of directions.

Poking a mouse clumsily around fuzzy pictures is fun, but rarely useful.

 

Want to know what's REALLY useful?

Try walking around a strage area with no orientation as to where you are in a complicated city like Istanbul or a concrete downtown canyon. Fly-over would be a god-send to me in those situations allowing me to get above the buildings, see the landmarks and quickly orient myself.

 

I don't need street view to read a street address or a business sign. I have eyes.

post #43 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

There is absolutely no rational reason even for blurring faces and licence plates (they didn't do it originally of course), but irrationality, sensitivity, and a gigantic sense of self-entitlement wins against logic, reason, and common sense every time nowadays it seems.  ...

 

This very practical and very useful thing will absolutely never happen however because of these same idiotic "privacy advocates."   I put that in quotes because what they are actually protecting is an imaginary privacy that they never had in the first place.  Real privacy advocates wouldn't care a fig about this sort of nonsense issue. 

Good lord... you sound like Eric Schmidt raving about how people should just 'get over' the idea of privacy.

Let me guess... you're 20 years old and tweet photos of all your meals too.

post #44 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckerz View Post

While 3D Flyovers are impressive, I have to remark a feature of StreetView that I would miss: the ability to literally walk into some street shops. For example, see http://goo.gl/maps/2YJCh. Click on the double '>>' on the floor and you get to walk in and see what the shop looks like. 

this is pretty AWESOME.  I've never seen this before, but what a great feature.  Shopping malls should have this feature.  Then I'd know where the best place to park is.

post #45 of 162

Street View data acquisition is like painting the Golden Gate Bridge - you have to keep redoing it. Google is on their third pass in my area. If Apple wanted to replicate the Street View experience they could probably collect enough imagery in about 2 years.

 

When Bing collected their data, they hired a private contractor. I met one of the guys and had a long chat with him and looked inside his rig at all the equipment.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #46 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I really feel bad for all you people who have to rely on a mapping program to find your way and better yet, you need pictures to know if you on the right street or in front of the right store or restaurant. Are you completely lost if your battery dies? Yeah most guys hate asking for direction, but it is not that hard to find a location, you all know streets have names and building have numbers.

Really? How do you navigate your way? a) Pull over in your car and unfold the map, pinpoint your location, b) pull out and drive for 1 minute and pull over again to re-check... (repeat a and b over and over until you reach your destination), or if you travel with your partner, keep driving until you find town hall and head for the divorce registry? You clearly have never driven (as a non-resident) in and around Paris (or just about any other major city). Digital maps have been a major step forward since paper maps. 

 

As for asking directions - sure, that works if there is a place to stop and there are people around and you can do so without killing anyone in the process, but its not always useful. Like when someone plus over and asks directions to a place on the other side of town - its just to damn complicated.

 

I rarely use street-view but when I do it is very useful. It is an amazing feature. What I use most is the basic 2d version, sometimes flipping to the satellite view. It is my primary way of mapping routes at home and also of navigating in my car. I have the TomTom nav app, but google maps is my go-to app in town.I find it hard to imagine Apple thinking they can compete without streetview. 

post #47 of 162

#1. I'm sure Google Maps will be available as a separate app.

 

#2. Apple HAD to ditch Google Maps in order to build in turn-by-turn navigation. Google forbids licensees from using their navigation.

 

#3. There are currently other companies creating "street view" maps, that Apple could potentially license or buy.

 

#4. From what I gathered, Apple is opening up their maps to allow 3rd parties to add data such as miscellaneous locations, transit schedules, etc. (So someone in NYC can download subway routes and schedules from a 3rd party and have it view inside Apple's map.)

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #48 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Street View data acquisition is like painting the Golden Gate Bridge - you have to keep redoing it. Google is on their third pass in my area. If Apple wanted to replicate the Street View experience they could probably collect enough imagery in about 2 years.

Exactly - it is a work in progress and there really are no shortcuts. When Street View came out (and still) there were many areas it did not cover. Apple should strike a deal with UPS and mount camera's on their trucks, just to get going, and develop from there.

post #49 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

#3. There are currently other companies creating "street view" maps, that Apple could potentially license or buy.

 

#4. From what I gathered, Apple is opening up their maps to allow 3rd parties to add data such as miscellaneous locations, transit schedules, etc. (So someone in NYC can download subway routes and schedules from a 3rd party and have it view inside Apple's map.)

This, I think, will be the key to Apple's success in this area.

post #50 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

...  It's becoming increasingly annoying to hear people downplay the importance of Street View. Google automatically = evil to them, so there's no getting through to these people.

 

I don't see a conflict here.  StreetView is indeed very, very useful, but Google is pretty much automatically "evil" as well.  

 

This is what I find most disappointing actually.  I will not use anything from Google unless I absolutely have to and purposely try to keep their applications off of my phone and all of my computers and mobile devices.  So street view (which is useful) is about to disappear for people like me.  

 

Living morally and doing the right thing are far far more important than a simple inconvenience IMO.  In my world, there is no way to rationalise using Google Maps for street view "because you miss it" when you know you are dealing with a company that exists almost entirely to screw you over.  I don't understand how anyone could live with themselves after doing that.  It's not like anyone is going to die without street view.  

 

The current iOS 5 Maps is written by Apple, but uses Google's servers.  I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect that Apple does not send any data to Google other the minimal request for map segments and street views.  If true, then all Google could do is aggregate the requests for statistical purposes -- to refine their map data, provide faster access, etc.  I don't see how this could be put to "evil" use.  Though, there might be some marketing value to something like:  "70% of map requests for Disneyland, in February, come from Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin."

 

AIR, the "evil" was associated with the "street view  trucks" because Google was caught intercepting and saving WiFi traffic as it mapped the streets.

 

I do believe that Google is unethical.  I try to avoid using their services, where alternatives exist.  

 

Loss of street view will mean little to me personally, as I have only used it once this year -- and that was more for entertainment than for necessity.  I tracked my grandkids vacation to canada using FindMyPhone and located their other grandfather's house (the one with the red roof) -- then used iOS 5 Maps street view to walk the block until I found the "red roof" house between two gray roof houses.  I captured the image and emailed it to my granddaughter with the message "Look Familiar?"  This really fooled her -- she thought for a moment that we had followed them up to canada.

 

However, I do understand others need for street view -- and I think that Apple should license that capability from Google until they can get it elsewhere.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #51 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

"...aim to be more helpful, less creepy than Google Street View".

 

I don't even need to look at who wrote this - I know.

 

Too bad, you're wrong again, as the headline was not written by the author. 

post #52 of 162

I anticipate Apple introducing their own version of Street View in 2013 or 2014 for iOS 7 or 8. They could call it DriveThrough or WalkThrough.

post #53 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Exactly - it is a work in progress and there really are no shortcuts. When Street View came out (and still) there were many areas it did not cover. Apple should strike a deal with UPS and mount camera's on their trucks, just to get going, and develop from there.

Good idea but the UPS trucks are perhaps a bit too tall. Dick's idea of crowd sourcing it was along a similar vein but this type of data collection has to be extremely precise and the only way to do that is with dedicated vehicles and equipment using trained operators. When I looked in the Bing contractor's truck it was like a mini data center in there with racks of servers. I got to talk to him while he was waiting for a replacement alternator which I learned was a special heavy duty one to run all the computers. Apparently those vehicles require a lot of heavy duty electrical components. That said I saw a picture of a Google Street View vehicle and it was just an ordinary looking economy crossover type car with a camera tripod on top. Maybe they use a different technique.

sv-car.pngStreet View Trike

Street View Snowmobile


Edited by mstone - 8/30/12 at 8:39am

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #54 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

That was exactly my point when they first unveiled the features of the new Maps App.  Hasn't Apple's philosophy always been to make products and services that were significantly better (in all aspects) than the competition?  To me, this new App is a "Beta" at best.  Before Siri, I can't remember when Apple produced "Beta" versions of software?  This seems very Un-Apple-like.  They've always had the position to produced finished products the first time and only improve with updates.  This new vision seems like a step backwards for Apple.

I only use street view occasionally on iOS, so it's fine for me to have it available in a separate Google app, for now. I actually think, though, that to avoid degrading their product Apple should continue to license street view from Google, keeping it as a low profile feature of iOS maps for the moment while they build their own independent version.
post #55 of 162

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I've been using iOS 6 since the first beta and while Maps has improved significantly I do miss Street View. There is no substitute for finding an address by taking a virtual stroll down the street.

 

 

 

But that's exactly what Flyover provides - a virtual view. I routinely use Street View to picture where I'm going, and to see what a storefront or venue looks like before I arrive. But Flyover provides at least 80% of the same information, and lets you back out and see it from multiple angles, fluently moving the map around. Street View does have value, but no so much that people aren't going to use Flyover instead. And Flyover has value that StreetView doesn't, in addition to being less of a lawsuit magnent.

  

 

After my initial "fun" with FlyOver I have not used it since. I simply don't see how this feature will be useful in finding a location. On top of that, in an area with any substantial structures you can't even begin to see the street because the height of the building is blocking your view.
I have no problem with this feature being included but i do have a problem with a useful being removed. If Apple wanted to compete Google on mapping then why not make their own Street View. I can't imagine there are patents that prevent Apple from strapping a camera to a car, it's in how the tech is executed after that.

 

Couldn't use the tech with FlyOver to get very detailed digital images that are very precise in how far away from the edges of the buildings they are so regardless of how far the vehicle is on the street you could adjust your viewing position to be on the sideway and still get the same perspective. I'd personally like a tech that would recognize every vehicle shape and people so that Apple's version of Street View would eliminate all those elements from the image with the tech that allows FlyOver to see so many angles at once. Nice clean streets without mobile object blocking facades an signage.

 

 

 

 

Flyover can certainly be improved upon (including allowing you to get a more shallow view, figuring out how to navigate better, how to more efficiently load blocks, etc) but for a 1.0 product it is spectacular. They're be the same crowd that hates on Maps just like the people who complained and are still complaining about how they asked Siri a question and got something other than what they expected, or didn't immediately get a response, but those people will be there to complain about anything Apple does.  

 

It's not like Apple can't improve upon software in the future, particularly OS-level software that obtains its data from the cloud.  


Edited by Corrections - 8/30/12 at 9:00am
post #56 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Street View data acquisition is like painting the Golden Gate Bridge - you have to keep redoing it. Google is on their third pass in my area. If Apple wanted to replicate the Street View experience they could probably collect enough imagery in about 2 years.

Exactly - it is a work in progress and there really are no shortcuts. When Street View came out (and still) there were many areas it did not cover. Apple should strike a deal with UPS and mount camera's on their trucks, just to get going, and develop from there.

 

Ohh... Great Idea!  Might be a problem as many UPS trucks have a large opening in the center of the roof -- and I think it is used with special loading devices...

 

So, it may not be as easy as just bolting a camera on the truck.  

 

As I think of it, most cities and towns are strapped for funds and have vehicles that visit most streets on a regular basis.. I wonder if they could get income by providing "street view" services to mapping companies like Apple -- or even Google.

 

I suspect that the camera is a weather-proof, self-contained capsule (battery, GPS, etc.) that runs itself.  You could easily mount (or dismount) it on any vehicle.  

 

...some real possibilities, here...

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #57 of 162

Meh. I enjoy Street View and use it a lot. Flyover doesn't seem to be a complete replacement, but it seems like it'll do if your city is covered. In the above examples, you can get a better idea of a building in downtown San Francisco than using Street View (here's one 50 foot stretch; here's another; here's another). On Flyover, you can get a view of the entire block and see how it connects to the neighboring streets and alleys in a fluid, fun way.

 

Again, not a complete replacement if you're looking for a detailed look at the parking meters or signage. But an easier way to get an "omniscient" block-level understanding of things. That, combined with arguably better vector maps and rotating labels, make for pretty good competition IMO. I'm sure they'll add public transportation soon enough.

post #58 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Me too, but for some reason, spending millions to create a free service just to keep you from using someone else's free service is terribly important to tech companies.

 

Rather than being a political squabble among fools, it's really a strategic effort to avoid sending one's customers to another vendor. It's all about controlling the value of the platform. If I happily rely on Google to provide my iOS maps, I'm more likely to want to get Google's exclusive maps features in the future, and guess where Google is going to deliver them? On its own platform. 

 

So it's not really as silly of a move as you paint. 

 

The more you know (TM)

post #59 of 162

I am a frequent traveler and use Street View a lot. I have been an iphone user since the initial launch of the original iPhone.  This whole maps enhancement/downgrade/change/politics issue will mark the first time that I dont upgrade to the latest version of iOS as soon as it launches.  Crossing my fingers that google launches a native maps application.  Although I am worried that apple may pull the "duplicate functionality" play from the rule book.  Also, why is nobody talking about the ability to set default applications for certain actions?  For example using a native google app to open an address location on a map, or being able to set default browser other than Safari?

post #60 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckerz View Post

While 3D Flyovers are impressive, I have to remark a feature of StreetView that I would miss: the ability to literally walk into some street shops. For example, see http://goo.gl/maps/2YJCh. Click on the double '>>' on the floor and you get to walk in and see what the shop looks like. 

 

But you can't do that on iOS 5 Maps, nor from iOS devices using a web browser, because StreetView on the web requires Flash.

 

So you're identifying a feature iOS has never had before, and worrying that people will miss it. It appears that a large % of iOS users don't even realize that Street View is available in the current Maps. So the only people who will miss is are the handful of bloggers who will try to make a big stink about it.

 

If Google releases its own Maps client for iOS 6 (or enhances Earth), the minority that wants to step along streets one panorama at a time can have that, but I doubt the mass market is looking for some feature that isn't even widely known to exist. 

 

As for finding the occasion interior mapped building, a) those aren't very ubiquitous and b) the company Apple acquired to develop Flyover already has offered similar interior photography services in the past. So Apple won't have any trouble rolling out inside views of malls and lobbies if there is interest in that. 

post #61 of 162

For me personally, with turn by turn navigation, I have no use for streetview.  In fact, I've only used streetview on my computer while looking for a new home, when my wife and I were trying to get a feel for certain neighborhoods before physically driving through them.  

 

If Siri can tell me "your destination is 100 yds on the right" and then "you have arrived at your destination" I don't care if there is a picture of the building or not, I can take it from there.  Do some of you need help finding the front door, too?

 

But as far as flyover goes, it's neat but I can't see me using it for anything more than showing the kids the view Superman has.

post #62 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

No one with even half a brain ever did.  

 

The whole thing was a classic tempest in a teapot manufactured by "sensitive" people.  ...

 

There is absolutely no rational reason even for blurring faces and licence plates (they didn't do it originally of course), but irrationality, sensitivity, and a gigantic sense of self-entitlement wins against logic, reason, and common sense every time nowadays it seems...

 

How people feel is never "rational," by definition. I feel sorry for your wife and/or kids, or if you don't have any, comforted. 

post #63 of 162

I am a loyal Apple user, which is why I come to pro-Apple sites like AppleInsider. But articles like this go well beyond slant, squarely into the territory of spin. I literally felt nauseated from the constant efforts throughout the article to bend the truth, and make any possible dig at Google and say any possible positive thing about Apple. Just how much stock do you own again?

post #64 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugney View Post

I am a loyal Apple user, which is why I come to pro-Apple sites like AppleInsider. But articles like this go well beyond slant, squarely into the territory of spin. I literally felt nauseated from the constant efforts throughout the article to bend the truth, and make any possible dig at Google and say any possible positive thing about Apple. Just how much stock do you own again?

 

If there is anything factually wrong or misleading about the article, it should be easy for you to point out. If not, your baseless assertions aren't very valuable. 

 

When you comment using words and phrases such as spin, nauseated and bend the truth, but don't actually identify anything that made you physically sick, it says more about you than the article. The piece is reviewing Apple's strategy in replacing Google in Maps.  

post #65 of 162

I’m sure I’ll have Google’s (upcoming) maps app on hand as a backup, for transit if nothing else. But it looks like Flyover MIGHT be able to answer most of the purposes I use Street View for: figuring out where a driveway or entrance is, which building to park at, etc.

 

(Street View could still do those jobs even better in some ways—if Google’s images weren’t so blurry and sun-blasted! If I can’t read most signs in EITHER Street View or Flyover, maybe I’ll prefer Flyover’s speed and ease of navigation. If not, Google’s app will be there for me! Google’s app will probably arrive sooner than my city gets Flyover, in fact.)

post #66 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusVanDam View Post

Why include 22 full-size pictures directly in the article? This article took about 10-minutes to load.

 

Pro-tip: Include low-res picture previews that link to the full-size pictures next time...

Pro-tip: Get a decent Internet connection that doesn't take 10 minutes to load a few pictures! It's 2012!!

post #67 of 162

Here's something to consider...

 

Does street view need to be static images stitched together in a panorama?

 

What if that rotating camera took video images that could later be separated into continuous directional video.

 

Then you could play/pause/step the continuous video -- rather than the cumbersome UI that street view currently has.

 

 

Then, you could specify a starting location and an ending location (or just drag your finger) and take a "drive by" or "walk by" tour of your route.  

 

Even more, on your "drive by" or "walk by" tour you could stop and take detours when you see things of interest.

 

 

I believe with the technology available today, you could do a pretty decent job of interactive video for a "drive by" or "walk by" tour.

 

 

Here's a simple animation technique that dates back to 180 AD -- and forms the basis for videos and animation:

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5khDGKGv088

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoetrope

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #68 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

 

How people feel is never "rational," by definition. I feel sorry for your wife and/or kids, or if you don't have any, comforted. 

 

So your suggesting it makes sense to go back on years of legal precedent, when no actual danger or privacy concern actually exists, simply because people "feel" that a privacy concern exists?  That's a very slippery slope indeed.  

 

 

If we are all going to just proceed based on our feelings rather than facts and evidence what's the point of being human at all?  We might as well be monkeys in the jungle instead.  We'd certainly be much happier.  

 

Personally, I'm in favour of this whole "civilisation" thing myself.  I believe that humans are better than the other animals and have the possibility of acting outside of our animal nature, and indeed, possibly overcoming it.  

 

I'm also an atheist, but in fact, pretty much all the major religions even agree with me on this point as well (see "the Fall of Man", Adam, etc.).  

post #69 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by el3ktro View Post

Pro-tip: Get a decent Internet connection that doesn't take 10 minutes to load a few pictures! It's 2012!!

 

I'm in a building wired with Gigabit, just a couple of wiring closets away from the Internet backbone and I experienced a long slow delay downloading these pictures for the article as well.  Not sure why, but yeah it was like a journey back to 1993 downloading this article today for me.  

post #70 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugney View Post

I am a loyal Apple user, which is why I come to pro-Apple sites like AppleInsider. But articles like this go well beyond slant, squarely into the territory of spin. I literally felt nauseated from the constant efforts throughout the article to bend the truth, and make any possible dig at Google and say any possible positive thing about Apple. Just how much stock do you own again?

 

Yeah, I agree strongly on this one.  He even refers to Google's street view cameras as "spy cameras" at one point.  He probably isn't even aware he's doing that though. 

post #71 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugney View Post

I am a loyal Apple user, which is why I come to pro-Apple sites like AppleInsider. But articles like this go well beyond slant, squarely into the territory of spin. I literally felt nauseated from the constant efforts throughout the article to bend the truth, and make any possible dig at Google and say any possible positive thing about Apple. Just how much stock do you own again?

 

Yeah, I agree strongly on this one.  He even refers to Google's street view cameras as "spy cameras" at one point.  He probably isn't even aware he's doing that though. 

 

Yeah, I almost expected DED to call it:  "Paparazzi-View" instead of "Street-View".

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #72 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Good lord... you sound like Eric Schmidt raving about how people should just 'get over' the idea of privacy.

Let me guess... you're 20 years old and tweet photos of all your meals too.

 

Well that description is pretty much the opposite of me. :-)

Eric Schmidt is a card-carrying idiot with no moral sense at all and I resent being compared to him.  I'll have to remember to throw a personal insult your way next time. ;)

 

The issues are not the same at all.  Street view is just pictures of the street.  It's not an invasion of privacy in any way shape or form.  Such images have always been legal and there is no reason for them now to be illegal. The only reason they've now been made illegal is that a lot of "sensitive" people complained and forced various governmental bodies to actually re-write the law to placate them and cater to their "feelings" of violation, which are not based on anything factual or evidentiary.  Google then followed suit and made the changes world-wide based on these few, vociferous objections.  There are no reported cases anywhere of people being at risk, no copyright violations etc. In fact, there was no harm at all (other than "feelings"), and no reason to do it, but it was done anyway.      

 

I think it's perfectly reasonable to get upset about this state of affairs.  It's officially authorised insanity.  You should be alarmed that you live in such a retarded, anti-intellectual culture that allows things like this happen. 

post #73 of 162

I would like to emphasize that the people who post (and read) these forums are not typical consumers.  In my experience (as a technology consultant), the average person doesn't even use turn-by-turn navigation with dynamic routing on their mobile phone.  

 

While I previously believed that many people do use turn-by-turn navigation apps (as I previously lived in Silicon Valley where such is common), I now know that most people don't use such features even on Android-based smartphones.  I regularly meet people who have had smartphones for some time who are unaware of Google Maps with Navigation on their Android-based smartphone or Navigon, TeleNav, Waze, etc.  They are unaware of Google Street View on their smartphones as well.  I usually recommend Waze and get many compliments for suggesting Waze.  According to Matt McGee of Search Engine Land, 50% of his Twitter followers were unaware of Google Street View on the iPhone as of 30 January 2010) (although Google Street View was introduced on the iPhone in 2008).

 

Google Street View has a purpose.  Apple 3D Flyover has a purpose.  I suspect the average consumer will be pleased by the addition of voice-enabled turn-by-turn navigation with dynamic routing and will accept the consequence of losing Google Street View.  The average consumer will be more than satisfied with Apple Maps even if they occasionally must refer to one of several Google apps to accommodate similar features and functionality on Apple Maps.  

 

Here is the high barrier for Google Maps and Navigation on Apple iOS (with the introduction of iOS 6):

 

Currently only Google Earth is available though Google could easily provide more features and functions or replace the app entirely but

Not the default Maps app

Not voice-enabled (at least not as integrated as Siri)

Navigation is not provided

Commuter directions are not provided

Traffic information is not provided

Search function doesn't automatically provide feedback (must push the "Search" button)

Panoramio Photos in Google Earth are no better than Yelp images

Labels are difficult to read in Google Earth 

Scrolling is not smooth

Business listings are difficult to see

 

 

Apple is not finished with Apple Maps.  Apple Maps will almost certainly improve even after iOS 6 is released to the public.  If Apple enables the existing (but hidden) Panoramic Mode in the iPhone, Apple could potentially rival Google Street View within one year by enabling consumers to capture imagery.  Alternatively, Apple could offer to purchase Nokia's NavTeq (including Nokia City Scene) to provide Nokia a much needed cash infusion with a perpetual, non-exclusive, worldwide license back to Nokia.

 

*Fixed the date of Matt McGee's survey to 2010 rather than 2012 as previously listed

 

Edited by MacBook Pro - 8/30/12 at 11:42am
post #74 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Here's something to consider...

 

Does street view need to be static images stitched together in a panorama?

 

What if that rotating camera took video images that could later be separated into continuous directional video.

 

Then you could play/pause/step the continuous video -- rather than the cumbersome UI that street view currently has.

One reason is that the Street View images are much higher resolution than video so you can zoom in.  Among many other technical reasons, the panoramic files are much less data than 30 frames per second of video which makes them ideal for mobile devices which are the most prevalent device for such a technology.


Edited by mstone - 8/30/12 at 9:49am

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #75 of 162
Quote:
Another distinct advantage of Flyover over StreetView is that in StreetView, the user must proceed through panoramic nodes one step at a time. With Flyover, users can hover above a location, viewing the entire street and surrounding streets all at the same time, seeing a continuous representation of an entire path through a given neighborhood.

 

I never liked the "slideshow" effect of StreetView.  Feels too much like Myst.

Therefore I rarely use StreetView.  Looking forward to iOS 6 and the new Maps technology.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #76 of 162

I'm looking forward to Apples new fly over. Google street view is very fun and useful. I am also looking forward to when Google releases it as a stand alone app for iOS. I can have my cake and eat it too.

 

Frankly, as an Apple stock holder, I agree with the strategy of starving Google of data mining and revenue from arguably one of their best products. Google started this war when they developed  Android and Google Maps is the collateral damage,

post #77 of 162

I think this may be the most absurd article of all time on Apple Insider, and no surprise it's from DED, the fanboy extraordinaire. It's wrong on so many levels I wouldn't even know where to begin, so I won't.  Truly astounding stuff though, I mean the guy should get a medal for pushing fanboy insanity to never before reached levels.

post #78 of 162

Street View: It is much better than fly over for virtually visiting a location. I use it all the time and fly over is no replacement. HOWEVER: Most users never even knew that street view was available in the maps app. Even though I did know where it was I never used it in that app. I think that when Google releases a new GMaps app that street view will be a lot easier to use so I see this as a benefit to both the Maps app and Google Maps. I will probably use both apps for different purposes and because having more than one photo image of an area can be quite handy.

 

The real problem with the new Maps app is that the photo images are not as detailed in most areas with low populations. I do expect this situation to improve over time but it will create a lot of user complaints at first.

 

The huge new feature of the new Maps app is this: "Siri, directions to the Los Angeles Convention Center" Once you try this you will be hooked for life. I may never use my Tom Tom again.
 

post #79 of 162

In five years of owning iPhones, I have never actually needed street view. When I did use it, it was to wow someone unfamiliar with modern smartphones. I'm sure there are lots of people who use it often, but I'm not one of them. Since installing iOS 6, I haven't looked back. I also find Apple's Flyover useless. Cool to look at, but useless. I won't even talk about Google Maps' lousy accuracy.

post #80 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Exactly - it is a work in progress and there really are no shortcuts. When Street View came out (and still) there were many areas it did not cover. Apple should strike a deal with UPS and mount camera's on their trucks, just to get going, and develop from there.

Great idea, but UPS doesn't necessarily touch every street, path in the country...I presume? Although they could be paid to.

However the USPS does touch every street(at least with a delivery address).

But your general point is valid, why hire your own fleet when there are others out there that could be equipt to do so and in theory cheaper. Same for foreign countries.

As for flyover versus streetview. Agree, streetview is vastly more usefull.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's iOS 6 3D Flyovers aim to be more helpful, less creepy than Google Street View
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iOS 6 3D Flyovers aim to be more helpful, less creepy than Google Street View