or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › BMW designer says Apple made white the most popular color for car buyers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BMW designer says Apple made white the most popular color for car buyers - Page 2

post #41 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

I still say cars ought to be matte. Instead of trying to stand out in the landscape, they should strive to harmonise and blend in, and there are few things in nature (or even in cities) that are highly reflective (water of course, but cars rarely travel on water).
(And yes, I realise that the glossy lacquer is less vulnerable.)


My kids rave about matte. For some of us, matte will be forever associated with primer and therefore unfinished.

post #42 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Oh yes, choose one of the most outrageously styled Italian supercars to make your point...

 

The most popular car in America in its most popular trim, the LE:

 

 

 

 

Should I call the Maytag man? lol.gif

 

The most popular car in America is the Ford F-series truck :)

post #43 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

 

Apple doesn't pay for product placement. There was an article written about it a while ago; how much free publicity Apple gets.

 

Apple's products are prominent in media because they are often the most used behind the scenes and they are nice to look at as well.

 

It's also funny how the good guys use Apple products and the bad guys use some off brand Wintel machine.


That's what Apple claims and that's what I used to believe. But they do proactively make their products available.

post #44 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

White is one of the most boring colors for a car... right next to Toyota Camry Beige. One exception maybe is pearlescent white.

       I agree. White would be my last choice for any car. I personally don't think it is that easy to keep clean either. If I am going to have to wash the car all the time anyway, give me black, it looks the best!!

post #45 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

 

Apple doesn't pay for product placement. There was an article written about it a while ago; how much free publicity Apple gets.

 

Apple's products are prominent in media because they are often the most used behind the scenes and they are nice to look at as well.

 

It's also funny how the good guys use Apple products and the bad guys use some off brand Wintel machine.

I disagree with you. If you look at the credits of about all the TV shows, you see Apple listed along with whatever car company that the actors happen to be driving in that series and all the other products that pay to be used.

post #46 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet_Desperation View Post

 

Actually, yeah, really. That car would look a lot better in red, black or yellow.

My preference:

post #47 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Prior to Apple, white was associated with things like refrigerators or the tiles in your bathroom," McGill told author Brett Berk. "Apple made white valuable."
 

I agree with that, though I still associate white with things like kitchen appliances, and that's one reason why I'd never buy a white iPad, unless I was planning on installing one in a bathroom perhaps.

post #48 of 60

So the BMW designer is both correct and wrong. The top selling car is white, but that is do to the large number of fleet sales to rental car companies, corporations, etc.

 

The most popular color among consumers based upon 10m online inventory searches on dealership websites last month....is Black. Passing silver about 2 years ago.

 

Apple has nothing to do with this....but purchasing agents of major companies....who get a better price when buying white from manufacturers. and lower maintenance cost. White unlike black, red, silver is less likely to fade, oxidize, etc.

post #49 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

 

Once again, I am aware of that, however the psychology of car color choice has been studied pretty extensively and the conclusions generally go in unrelated directions. I'm also not saying it *can't* happen for someone, but to draw that kind of conclusion without even a simple dealer survey leaves his opinion baseless, not to mention other surveys dispute his own claim to begin with that white hasn't overtaken silver. 

 I wouldn't have said anything if your original post had disputed the article and not another person's post that seemed quite accurate to me. I might dispute the validity of the article as well. I don't think iPods would directly influence BMW purchases, although desirable white electronics could make white a more desirable color in general.

When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
post #50 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet_Desperation View Post

 

Actually, yeah, really. That car would look a lot better in red, black or yellow.

 

Agreed. You buy a $400,000, kickass supercar, then get it in WHITE? Seriously? A Lambo deserves so much more:

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

 

The most popular car in America is the Ford F-series truck :)

Reread what you just wrote, then #facepalm yourself lol.gif

post #51 of 60
rumour has it that apple's use of white is also the reason michael jackson bleached his skin ...
post #52 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


I'm having a really hard time believing this. Why would Apple's use of white for a cell phone and tablet influence car buying decisions?

I assume its a vanity thing, people like to have phones and accessories match their cars, the white iphone was heavily desired and so I would assume it would have an influence in color for cars.

post #53 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's psychology. Same reason many consumers prefer a "family" of matching products. Especially Apple gear. Uniform interfaces, even colours. We can develop an affinity for certain colours based on the moods they evoke. 

Futher reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_psychology

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1297510/?tool=pmcentrez

http://www.jgroshek.com/342/color%20and%20emotion.pdf



Colors, like features, follow the changes of the emotions.   
- Pablo Picasso

+1

I have a white iPod, white iPad, white iPhone, and a white Volkswagen.

Ever since Apple starting putting out white products, I noticed how great of a color it is. Simple, clean, fresh, crisp.

jpxEul.jpg


*yes, I have Apple logos on the rear windows
post #54 of 60

Gotta hand it to Apple Insider for another misread article. The troves of iSheep are lapping it up, errors and all. Nary a one reading the original article themselves.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's design influence is felt well beyond consumer electronics, as the iconic white iPod and earbuds sparked demand for white automobiles, according to a designer with carmaker BMW.
Sandy McGill, BMW Designworks' lead designer in color, materials and finish, attributed the popularity of white automobiles to Apple co-founder Steve Jobs. He said in an interview with Motoramic (via Fortune) that though white is a "high maintenance" color for cars, it has become the most popular exterior car color for American buyers.

 

First of all, I am willing to bet Sandy McGill is a female. According to LinkedIn, it's Alexandra "Sandy" McGill. Nothing in the original article indicated Sandy was a male.

Secondly, who said white is a high maintenance color? The way the article was written, there is no way to ascertain who said it. Sandy's comments were in quotes, these were not. Anybody that says white is a high maintenance color is someone that doesn't know a lot about cars

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though white was the primary color for the iPod for years, Apple moved away from white for some time. Last year, Apple began offering the iPhone 4, iPad and iPod touch in white, signaling a comeback for the color in the company's product lineup, while all of Apple's iPod and iOS lineup have shipped with white headphones for years.
 

 

Anybody that believes there is a relation between the color of apple's products and cars is a fool. Why don't we have more RED cars? White is the cheapest car color. With the way the US economy has been the past 5 years, people are cutting back on spending, not paying for more expensive colors.

 

 

The real reason Sandy is crediting apple for the color popularity is because BMW is making their cars' entertainment systems integrate with SIRI. This was mentioned at WWDC 2012

 

I do see a relation between BMW customers and Apple customers though.

 

BMW owners are 42% more likely than the average adult to ‘spend money without thinking'.

They are 35% more likely than the average to find expensive aftershaves/perfumes irresistible.

35% more likely to wear designer clothes.

No matter what type of media...movies, music, books, photos and web pages

look better and sound better on the Kindle Fire HD than any iPad

Reply

No matter what type of media...movies, music, books, photos and web pages

look better and sound better on the Kindle Fire HD than any iPad

Reply
post #55 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

 

Apple doesn't pay for product placement. There was an article written about it a while ago; how much free publicity Apple gets.

 

Apple's products are prominent in media because they are often the most used behind the scenes and they are nice to look at as well.

 

It's also funny how the good guys use Apple products and the bad guys use some off brand Wintel machine.

 

and tv shows cover the logo of apple products, when they don't have clearance to show the apple logo... 

 

from what i understand, while apple does not pay for placement.. they do give the "production" as much apple stuff as they need...  

 

as in computers and stuff.. (I may be wrong but it makes sense...)

 

funny, in the series "My boys" (a series about a female sport writer in chicago, and her poker playing male friends) on the first season she is writing on a dell/windows laptop... half way  through the first season or into the second season she is  writing on an Apple Airbook (this series started in 2006, second season 2007) so it is amazing that they were using Apple Airbook before or right after it was released for sale...

post #56 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

 

Agreed. You buy a $400,000, kickass supercar, then get it in WHITE? Seriously? A Lambo deserves so much more:

 

 

 

If you drive a car like that, it doesn't fucking matter what color it is. I guarantee it.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #57 of 60
Consider the mindshare Apple must have when an inexpensive consumer electronic is the foundation for a purchase that cost several 10s of thousands of dollars. Crazy!

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #58 of 60

I agree. 

 

Btw, have you seen the new X6 in white? wow

 

Oh and matte black is the trend for luxury cars.

post #59 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Knowing that BMW is a very serious car company and knowing that they don't leave any decisions to random chance in their business I think it is safe to say that even though McGill offered no proof, the statement he made is most likely backed by research on BMW's part.  I worked for a while with the BMW USA ad agency and that car company knows everything about their customers.  Huge amounts of research is done to know what they want and why.  Everything BMW did regarding advertising and branding was totally buttoned up and controlled - more than any other company I have had contact with.  Except maybe Apple - heh.

 

So if McGill says Apple had an influence on color preference, I'm thinking he's not lying.  Of course this kind of research is kept very secret so I doubt under any circumstances would they reveal how they came to such a conclusion.

Agree.

 

I would also suggest that the issue is not what McGill said. It was how it was taken out of context by both the AI writer and some here who just haven't done their homework. 

 

It should be noted that the original article stated that 

 

Quote:
Silver was the most popular exterior car color in America for nearly a decade. But while it remains beloved by automotive designers for best showing off a car's styling, its unstinting argent reign was finally overthrown this year. By white. According to Sandy McGill, BMW Designworks' lead designer in color, materials, and finish, this is Steve Jobs' doing. "Prior to Apple, white was associated with things like refrigerators or the tiles in your bathroom. Apple made white valuable."

 

Everyone knows that for decades, black was either the only color or the most popular, either by design or choice. White became popular in the latter half of the 20th century, particularly after studies showed it was deemed 'safer' particularly at night because of greater visibility. Now of course, we have all day running lights. A law that required all cars sold in Canada from 1990 to have. But, apparently not one state in the Union has adopted. Must be in the Constitution.

 

Apparently, for the past few years, white was the favourite color in the US.1-2 Silver in the UK. 4-4

 

I personally would agree with McGill's observations. After all, being BMW Designworks' lead designer, is a position not to take lightly or make assumptions without well-founded research. And lets face it, it is not the first time that Job's started trends either by what he brought to market, wore or directed.

 

And as continued after McGill's statement in the original article, How brown became the red-hot color for new cars and trucksby Brett Bark, and not attributed to McGill,

 

Quote:
Valuable, yet boring. So while the rise in white's snowy stock may be good news for the luxury market — white is high maintenance, thus luxurious — it's a pale palliative for those of us with a bit more pigment in their palette. Fortunately, our expert interviews and analysis reveal that more enticing colors are emerging.

 

Amazing what one learns when they read.

 

1. http://www.colorcombos.com/popular-car-colors-for-2011-article.html

2, http://www.lifeslittlemysteries.com/710-whats-the-most-popular-car-color.html

3. http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motoring/silver-uks-favourite-car-colour

4. http://www.yesinsurance.co.uk/insurance-media-centre/popular-car-colour.html


Edited by Onhka - 8/31/12 at 3:55pm
post #60 of 60

Hitting two birds in one stone! Marketing!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › BMW designer says Apple made white the most popular color for car buyers