or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Paul Ryan thinks you are a bunch of fucking idiots.

Paul Ryan thinks you are a bunch of fucking idiots. - Page 2

post #41 of 168

Didn't Clint suggest the shouldn't have attacked Afghanistan?

And then Mitt said he wants to make the most powerful military so that others won't challenge the US.  Playing to the base.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #42 of 168

Romney another war monger we really need this now!

post #43 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

With Bush in charge and the looming economic downturn where someone in charge ( yes folks it was a Republican ) largely doing nothing for 8 years previous yes unquestionably. Look what the last administration's actions ( or lack there of ) led to.

You raise a good point. Before slamming an official for something go back and verify that he caused it rather than being the poor sap in office when the shit finally hit the fan.

do we blame the flooding of New Orleans on the mayor at that time. Or on the guy 10 years before that was told the levees would never withstand a major storm and brushed the reports under the table cause he didn't want to spead the money.

Do we blame unbalanced budgets on the current Congress or no the previous one that created tax cuts etc that gave the rich less to pay and put what money there is into military spending with no way to pull it out for something else.

And so on.

It is a question worth considering. Has Obama really caused these problems or has he been stuck cleaning up someone else's bull?

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #44 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

It is a question worth considering. Has Obama really caused these problems or has he been stuck cleaning up someone else's bull?

Please explain how you clean up excessive debt by increasing it.

Please explain how you stop wars and policing the world by expanding it.

Please explain how you close Gitmo by keeping it open.

You see, in just about every way, Obama hasn't done anything to address the problems created by his predecessors. He's continued and expanded upon nearly all of Bush's policies.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #45 of 168
Quote:

People are still trying to spin this yarn?

post #46 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Romney another war monger we really need this now!

You mean the guy who didn't mention war once in his acceptance speech...a fact that was hammered home by the mainstream media?  Oh, and by the way, he's the first GOP nominee since 1952 not to do so.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #47 of 168

That clearly negates everything he said about Iran and Russia during the entire road to the primary, right?  Just because you want to desperately emulate Ronald Reagan so damn much doesn't mean you have to pretend to have Alzheimer's, too.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #48 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

That clearly negates everything he said about Iran and Russia during the entire road to the primary, right?  Just because you want to desperately emulate Ronald Reagan so damn much doesn't mean you have to pretend to have Alzheimer's, too.

No, and why should it?  His comments about Iran and Russia are spot-on.  Russia is not our ally.  They work against our interests at almost every turn.  Iran is a massive threat, one that we are not confronting with the requisite strength.  Romney is right on both of these issues.  

post #49 of 168

Ah, here we go again with SDW speaking out of both sides of his mouth.

"What a massive achievement that Romney didn't talk about war at the convention!  He's no warmonger!"

"We aren't confronting Iran with enough requisite strength!"

Yeah...you don't see a problem with your last two statements?  Really?

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #50 of 168
Quote:

"What a massive achievement that Romney didn't talk about war at the convention!  He's no warmonger!"

Quote:

He's no warmonger!"

Uh huh!lol.gif I notice this kind of stuff so much I don't think he's even aware of it.

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #51 of 168
Quote:

Quote:

With Bush in charge and the looming economic downturn where someone in charge ( yes folks it was a Republican ) largely doing nothing for 8 years previous yes unquestionably. Look what the last administration's actions ( or lack there of ) led to.

You raise a good point. Before slamming an official for something go back and verify that he caused it rather than being the poor sap in office when the shit finally hit the fan.

do we blame the flooding of New Orleans on the mayor at that time. Or on the guy 10 years before that was told the levees would never withstand a major storm and brushed the reports under the table cause he didn't want to spead the money.

Do we blame unbalanced budgets on the current Congress or no the previous one that created tax cuts etc that gave the rich less to pay and put what money there is into military spending with no way to pull it out for something else.

And so on.

Good points! It's easy to see for thinking people.

post #52 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Quote:

Please explain how you clean up excessive debt by increasing it.

Please explain how you stop wars and policing the world by expanding it.

Please explain how you close Gitmo by keeping it open.

You see, in just about every way, Obama hasn't done anything to address the problems created by his predecessors. He's continued and expanded upon nearly all of Bush's policies.

You would only ask the first question if you were a fan of a certain type of economic theory. If you aren't of that group it's easy to see how this could happen and it was even predicted before it happened. It's much better than what could have happened.

As far as useless wars where were you when Bush started his almost decade long debacle? And Romney will be no different only worse because he's smarter.

Quote:

Obama hasn't done anything to address the problems created by his predecessors

That's a matter of opinion. Not one myself ( or many others ) share.

post #53 of 168

Well if you say it fast enough it sounds like it makes sense!lol.gif Kind of like Iraq and 911. Smoke and mirrors.

post #54 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Quote:

People are still trying to spin this yarn?

The yarn is what Republicans want you to believe. That history started when Obama took office.

post #55 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Quote:

Horse Shit.

Look! jimmac has learned a new phrase.

You know saying this twice in a row doesn't make you right, don't you?

Quote:

Those same problems ( that were already present ) are what led to the situation we have now. They aren't separate.

I didn't claim they were. This is just you trying to argue against a straw man. I'm saying that the spiraling spending, even higher deficits and debt and higher unemployment are a result of Obama's actions.

Quote:

I still maintain someone had to do something to keep it from getting much worse ( even if it cost us ). Yes MJ even if you don't feel that way or acknowledge it. I feel these are facts also. I also feel Romney would make things worse yet again.

You can feel all you want. You can even feel that things are facts. None of that makes it so. We have these facts (we don't have to feel that they are facts, they are facts all on their own):

1. Spending is higher under Obama.

2. Deficits are much higher under Obama.

3. The debt is much higher under Obama.

4. Unemployment is higher under Obama (and was much, much higher under Obama for a lengthy period of time.)

5. Workforce participation is lower under Obama.

6. Private sector job creation has not even kept up with population growth under Obama.

Undebatable questions:

• Did Obama inherit a mess? Sure.
  • Did he make it better? Definitely not.

Debatable questions:

• Did he prevent it from getting worse? Highly debatable. In fact there's a lot of reason to believe the actions he took would predictably make things worse and would not prevent things from getting worse, only prolong a bad situation.
  • Did he make things worse short term but better long term? Can't know now, but highly debatable. More likely he, at best, just kicked the can down the road.

Wash, rinse, repeat! Yes we know already. ( eyes roll if they could ) Saying multiple times doesn't make it any more true.

And yes your second statement is highly debate able even if you say it's not.

Quote:

More likely he, at best, just kicked the can down the road.

Wouldn't this be ( according to your logic which seems to say your drawing a conclusion from an unproven scenario and stating it as inplied fact ) your own version of ( even though it's not in question form ) begging the question? ( wink if I could )

Edited by jimmac - 9/2/12 at 2:25pm
post #56 of 168
Quote:

The yarn is what Republicans want you to believe. That history started when Obama took office.

Well you're the one who acted like history started when Bush took office for goodness sake. :rolleyes:

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #57 of 168
Quote:

Wash, rinse, repeat!

So you have no argument. Got it.

Quote:

Yes we know already.

Good.

Quote:

Saying multiple times doesn't make it any more true.

I know. Facts are simply true no matter how many times you say them.

post #58 of 168
Quote:

I never called it a massive achievement.  I was just asking if it makes sense that he's a war monger given the fact he is the only candidate since 1952 not to mention war.  As for his other statements, I fail to see how they make him a war monger, either.  He's simply correct that Iran needs to be confronted with strength, not weakness.  Weakness makes war more likely.  Did you learn nothing from the Cold War?  

Quote:

So you have no argument. Got it.

Good.

I know. Facts are simply true no matter how many times you say them.

You are correct..he has no argument.  Especially against these points you raised: 

1. Spending is higher under Obama.

2. Deficits are much higher under Obama.

3. The debt is much higher under Obama.

4. Unemployment is higher under Obama (and was much, much higher under Obama for a lengthy period of time.)

5. Workforce participation is lower under Obama.

6. Private sector job creation has not even kept up with population growth under Obama.

post #59 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Did you learn nothing from the Cold War?  

Apparently you didn't because you aren't in favor of gutting our defense spending to much more reasonable levels.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #60 of 168
Quote:

Apparently you didn't because you aren't in favor of gutting our defense spending to much more reasonable levels.

I just looked outside to see if any pigs were flying because I agree with this statement.

post #61 of 168
Quote:

Quote:

I just looked outside to see if any pigs were flying because I agree with this statement.

When you talk about cutting defense spending, are you referring to reducing spending on military action in Afganistan and elsewhere, or actually cutting military infrastructure and R&D?

post #62 of 168

Both.  There is absolutely no reason we need to spend more on defense than nearly the entire world combined.  Cut our military spending in half and we still spend more than the next 4 countries combined.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #63 of 168
Quote:

Both.  There is absolutely no reason we need to spend more on defense than nearly the entire world combined.  Cut our military spending in half and we still spend more than the next 4 countries combined.

On infrastructure, where do you see the savings coming from?

post #64 of 168

I think that we can start by not operating 11 aircraft carriers--more than the rest of the world has operating combined.  The size of our military is outrageous--and it's meant to fight conventional wars that are so 20th century.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #65 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

When you talk about cutting defense spending, are you referring to reducing spending on military action in Afganistan and elsewhere, or actually cutting military infrastructure and R&D?

Yes to both. Strong national defense does not require us to have over 900 military bases and a military presence in 140 countries around the world. This is not to maintain our "national security", this is to police the world and meddle in the affairs of sovereign nations. It is not only very costly to maintain such an empire, it is wrong and must be stopped.

post #66 of 168
Quote:

I think that we can start by not operating 11 aircraft carriers--more than the rest of the world has operating combined.  The size of our military is outrageous--and it's meant to fight conventional wars that are so 20th century.

Carriers are certainly not cheap, but they are a very effective platform from which to project military power and, in many ways, rather well-suited to modern military needs, such as counter-terrorism operations. Not sure I'd choose those to cut.

post #67 of 168

Do we need 11?  With 3 more on the way?

Want to know what's also effectively counter-terrorist?  Making the world a better place to live in for everyone.  Inspiring and educating the next generation.  Cutting back on the rampant jingoism that has plagued our nation and the rest of the world for far too long.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #68 of 168
Quote:

Quote:

Yes to both. Strong national defense does not require us to have over 900 military bases and a military presence in 140 countries around the world. This is not to maintain our "national security", this is to police the world and meddle in the affairs of sovereign nations. It is not only very costly to maintain such an empire, it is wrong and must be stopped.

I'm not sure how much the US actually polices and meddles, except in the high-profile cases that would probably happen anyway and tend to involve the UN and/or NATO.  However, it does seem like there should be some savings available in reduction in sheer number of foreign bases. Are you at all nervous of how things might develop elsewhere if the US military presence were substantially reduced around the world?

post #69 of 168
Quote:

Do we need 11?  With 3 more on the way?

Want to know what's also effectively counter-terrorist?  Making the world a better place to live in for everyone.  Inspiring and educating the next generation.  Cutting back on the rampant jingoism that has plagued our nation and the rest of the world for far too long.

Those three are part of the replacement program, so won't be additive in the end. I think the intended total number, long-term, is ten. The world is a large place at carrier speed.

Making the world a better place does sound like a great idea, but it's hard to achieve if significant parts of the rest of the world don't show any sign of wanting to be a "better" place, and certainly don't want to be educated by us. It ends up looking like more of the meddling that jazzguru was complaining about. I'm not convinced that strategy effectively replaces military strength at this stage.

post #70 of 168
Quote:

I'm not sure how much the US actually polices and meddles, except in the high-profile cases that would probably happen anyway and tend to involve the UN and/or NATO.  However, it does seem like there should be some savings available in reduction in sheer number of foreign bases. Are you at all nervous of how things might develop elsewhere if the US military presence were substantially reduced around the world?

Let's take one example: Iran. Do you not realize that the United States is responsible for the current regime there coming into power? This is all well documented and available for all to see, but nobody takes the time to understand the history. Iran is just one of many examples where interventionist policies on the part of the U.S. and other nations have created or exacerbated the problems our governments now claim to be trying to solve.

I'm not saying we should be xenophobic isolationists. I'm saying we should have open and fair trade with all nations, but stay out of their internal affairs. And absolutely, we can still have a strong national defense so that if another nation does want to attack us, we are ready and able to defend ourselves.

post #71 of 168

Where would you cut things then?  I disagree that we need ten, but let's hear what you feel is reasonable to cut, muppetry.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #72 of 168
Quote:

Quote:

Let's take one example: Iran. Do you not realize that the United States is responsible for the current regime there coming into power? This is all well documented and available for all to see, but nobody takes the time to understand the history. Iran is just one of many examples where interventionist policies on the part of the U.S. and other nations have created or exacerbated the problems our governments now claim to be trying to solve.

I'm not saying we should be xenophobic isolationists. I'm saying we should have open and fair trade with all nations, but stay out of their internal affairs. And absolutely, we can still have a strong national defense so that if another nation does want to attack us, we are ready and able to defend ourselves.

Lots of people take the time to try to understand history - you are not the only one. Intervention has a mixed history of success, and I don't disagree that it has had some spectacular failures. I assume that you are crediting the US as responsible for the current Iranian regime on the basis that the revolution was a result of dissatisfaction with the US-backed Shah's regime, but that intervention doesn't seem like a great example of US military power - it was mostly intelligence agency stuff. And the resulting Islamic state might well have happened anyway. Is that really pertinent to the issue of military spending.

Edited by muppetry - 9/2/12 at 5:21pm
post #73 of 168

I will add more later, but defense could really take some over-hauling (cutting and changing).  There is a ton of waste and the military we have is very outdated, designed for a different war.

It isn't just as easy as saying we need 13 carriers or 7.  It is also about modernizing and adapting to present needs. A lot of streamlining, too.  And cutting.  

post #74 of 168
Quote:

Carriers are certainly not cheap, but they are a very effective platform from which to project military power...

And that right there is a huge part of the problem.

post #75 of 168
Quote:

Where would you cut things then?  I disagree that we need ten, but let's hear what you feel is reasonable to cut, muppetry.

Not really competent to judge as I'm not privy to DoD/DoE long-term strategy, but I'll speculate. Possibly reduce military bases and personnel stationed oversees, on the basis that an effective carrier fleet can provide alternative cover. The army may be overfunded - back to your comments on 20th century warfare. Then I'd look for efficiency improvements - the military is notoriously prone to overpaying contract work, and the tendency to cycle people too fast through many of the high-level policy positions leads to very poor continuity in funding prioritization, and a resulting inefficient use of funds. There is a terrible tendency to take a new post and then change things whether needed or not, just to be seen to have had an effect; when this happens every 18 - 24 months it is crippling. Not to mention somewhat questionable competence in those positions, but that's a tougher problem to solve.

post #76 of 168
Quote:

Quote:

Carriers are certainly not cheap, but they are a very effective platform from which to project military power...

And that right there is a huge part of the problem.

That they are not cheap, or that they are effective? Or are you arguing that the US should not wish to be able to project military power?

post #77 of 168
Quote:

Lot's of people take the time to try to understand history - you are not the only one. Intervention has a mixed history of success, and I don't disagree that it has had some spectacular failures. I assume that you are crediting the US as responsible for the current Iranian regime on the basis that the revolution was a result of dissatisfaction with the US-backed Shah's regime, but that intervention doesn't seem like a great example of US military power - it was mostly intelligence agency stuff. And the resulting Islamic state might well have happened anyway. Is that really pertinent to the issue of military spending.

We can only speculate as to whether an Islamic state would have happened anyway. The point is it DID happen, and largely due to U.S. interventionism in the form of black ops.

This and other similar situations are very much pertinent to the issue of military spending, as our current levels of spending and presence around the world is being justified by our leaders as necessary to "fight terrorism" and Iran is often referred to by those same leaders as a major sponsor of the "terrorism" they claim to be fighting.

post #78 of 168
Quote:

That they are not cheap, or that they are effective? Or are you arguing that the US should not wish to be able to project military power?

The last. I should have highlighted what I was referring to.

post #79 of 168
Quote:

Quote:

Lot's of people take the time to try to understand history - you are not the only one. Intervention has a mixed history of success, and I don't disagree that it has had some spectacular failures. I assume that you are crediting the US as responsible for the current Iranian regime on the basis that the revolution was a result of dissatisfaction with the US-backed Shah's regime, but that intervention doesn't seem like a great example of US military power - it was mostly intelligence agency stuff. And the resulting Islamic state might well have happened anyway. Is that really pertinent to the issue of military spending.

We can only speculate as to whether an Islamic state would have happened anyway. The point is it DID happen, and largely due to U.S. interventionism in the form of black ops.

This and other similar situations are very much pertinent to the issue of military spending, as our current levels of spending and presence around the world is being justified by our leaders as necessary to "fight terrorism" and Iran is often referred to by those same leaders as a major sponsor of the "terrorism" they claim to be fighting.

You are arguing that the Iranian Revolution was a direct result of covert US military action? I'm missing the connection - in what sense? In terms of current spending - yes - one justification is to maintain a military force that can combat terrorist activities. Do you disagree that the threat exists, its provenance, its current support base, or how to combat it? Iran quite clearly is such a sponsor, so what are you proposing in relation to that issue? If you are simply suggesting foreign base reductions, I agree that could be a way forwards.

post #80 of 168
Quote:

Quote:

The last. I should have highlighted what I was referring to.

OK right. So how should it react to foreign state or foreign-based terrorist threats if it cannot project military power? That's a weak position to take.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Paul Ryan thinks you are a bunch of fucking idiots.