or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Review: Google's Nexus 7 tablet with Android 4.1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Google's Nexus 7 tablet with Android 4.1 - Page 2

post #41 of 112
So does this thing have a built in GPS chip?
IMO that would be a great feature... GPS without cellular contract... And built in google maps.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #42 of 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

http://www.neowin.net/news/bloomberg-ipad-mini-arrives-in-october-with-785-inch-screen

 

Well, that'll be it for the Nexus (not that it's got much of a shot against the current iPad.) Hope Google can sell as many as possible in the meantime. 

I doubt we will see Apple selling an iPad Mini for $199, so the Nexus ought to have its own niche of being an inexpensive tablet that is adequate for most users' needs.

 

If the rumors are true that the iPad Mini is based around the iPad 2, then it ought to be inexpensive to manufacture so there is no reason not to target $199 unless there is an Apple tax.

post #43 of 112

you need cellular data for google maps because it only loads the map tiles as you use them

post #44 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

So does this thing have a built in GPS chip?
IMO that would be a great feature... GPS without cellular contract... And built in google maps.

Yes -- it has GPS.

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nexus_7

post #45 of 112

As for cheap, the paperbacks work best for me:)

 

Skip

post #46 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

 

That's what makes the Nexus 7 great. It runs all android phone apps natively at full screen. It has literally hundreds of thousands more apps than the iPad does because of this. And, I have never come across an app that my iPhone had that my Galaxy Nexus does not.

That's just a lie and you know it.

Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
post #47 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

you need cellular data for google maps because it only loads the map tiles as you use them

That's why Google wants you to download all your maps into 16GB storage. YAY!

Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
post #48 of 112

I think you have it backward by saying it as a FUD. A FUD is usually originated by the incumbent product's maker or users. How on earth a statement opined by a user of an Android tablet and its minuscule market share can actually create Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt to users of an IOS tablet and its superly massive [i.e. near monopolistic] market share?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Pure FUD.
Keep in mind that there are hundreds of thousands more iOS apps than Android apps. So for your statement to be correct, there must be MANY hundreds of thousands of iOS apps that won't run on the iPad.
I'll settle for you naming just 10.
post #49 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Historically the animosity (and ridicule) was mostly in the other direction. Having been using Macs since the original, I know from first hand experience. There may be a bit of "payback" going on now that Apple is so successful.

Wel said. Then we have to remember Android fans are either old died in the wool PC users who hate Apple or youngsters that don't know any better. /smile
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #50 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

you need cellular data for google maps because it only loads the map tiles as you use them

google maps allow for download of maps for offline use.

post #51 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

I think you have it backward by saying it is a FUD. A FUD is usually originated by the incumbent product's maker or users. How on earth a statement opined by a user of an Android tablet and its minuscule market share can actually create Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt to users of an IOS tablet and its superly massive [i.e. near monopolistic] market share?

'Utter drivel' would have been more accurate.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #52 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


Wel said. Then we have to remember Android fans are either old died in the wool PC users who hate Apple or youngsters that don't know any better. /smile

What is a wool PC?

 

Must be horrible, to die in a wool PC!  ;-)

post #53 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

 

I hate to be the one to tell you, but you're wrong. Android has 600,000 apps in the Play store as of June 2012.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_market) iOS has 650,000 as of June 11, 2012 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/App_Store_(iOS)) This seems to be very common among Apple users. They don't realize how much the Play store has caught up. Android has seen insane growth. Apps seem to be the thing Apple users always point to as a reason not to switch and I think it no longer applies anymore.

 

Edit: And P.S. based on current growth of the number of apps, the Play store is going to take over the lead for number of apps this year. This doesn't even include the other app stores available to android. I'm not going to argue quality of the apps because that is too subjective and there are far too many apps to make a blanket statement.

 

In raw numbers the Play store has caught up, but the quality of many of those apps is suspect. This is more true of the Play store than the iOS store.

 

Further, while any app can run on the iPad with scaling, many of the apps in the play store won't install on the Nexus 7. For example, I can't install Washington Post or USA Today on my Nexus 7, but they work great on my Galaxy Nexus.

 

New app development generally seems to occur on iOS first, and then move to Android (hopefully). That may (probably will) change, but right now, iOS is still in the lead for apps.

post #54 of 112

I got the Nexus 7 (16G) as well, originally the idea was that it was cheaper and smaller to travel with than the iPad 3.

 

I have been very positively surprised.  I prefer the size to the iPad.  All the primary apps work very well on the Android and Jelly Beam feels the first really usable Android version and most of all, feels very competitive to iOS -- in fact some features are already better such as the multitasking UI.

 

I have also an retina iPad 3 but 3/4 of the time I carry the Nexus instead.  The market is getting tougher for Apple for sure, takes a while for the Apple-blind audience to notice though.  (I'm all Apple in general and consider myself a fanboy, too)

post #55 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

you need cellular data for google maps because it only loads the map tiles as you use them

 

Google maps supports offline usage. Portland has an awesome network of hiking trails in Forest Park. The Nexus 7 is small enough to fit in a large pant or coat pocket; I have the Forest Park region downloaded to google maps, and use it offline for wandering around the trails.

post #56 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

All current android apps run full screen natively right out of the box on the Nexus 7. Something that the iPad mini might not be able to say.

Of course it can say that, the screen dimensions are the same as the iPad 1/2.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
Reply
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
Reply
post #57 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by igxqrrl View Post

In raw numbers the Play store has caught up, but the quality of many of those apps is suspect. This is more true of the Play store than the iOS store.

Further, while any app can run on the iPad with scaling, many of the apps in the play store won't install on the Nexus 7. For example, I can't install Washington Post or USA Today on my Nexus 7, but they work great on my Galaxy Nexus.

New app development generally seems to occur on iOS first, and then move to Android (hopefully). That may (probably will) change, but right now, iOS is still in the lead for apps.

There's a large occurrence of dual releases nowadays, but the junky apps in Android market Google Play Store are still far too many.

I'm just glad a lot of the big players are using the guidelines introduced with Android 4.0
post #58 of 112
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post
Of course it can say that, the screen dimensions are the same as the iPad 1/2.

 

 

And here comes the hit box/graphics/UI size discussion.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #59 of 112

I think it's a classic symptom of undiagnosed "commaphobia".

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips


Wel said. Then we have to remember Android fans are either old died in the wool PC users who hate Apple or youngsters that don't know any better. /smile

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post
 

What is a wool PC?

 

Must be horrible, to die in a wool PC!  ;-)


Edited by mcrs - 8/31/12 at 9:44am
post #60 of 112

Wow, 4/5. 

 

I always like reading your reviews. Sure you constantly get bashed for being partial when you give a non-Apple product a negative, but I find you're always fair and honest with your asessments, often comparing the product to the Apple product its competing against, and don't go for the fake, bullshit guide of 'equality' that other review sites go for, apologizing for a product's weak points simply because it is not made by Apple and not wanting to be seen as pro-Apple. I played around with this at Best Buy, considered picking it up, but then decided against it. The app situation just isnt there for me and still seems like a redundant device if owning an iPad. 

post #61 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Keep in mind that there are hundreds of thousands more iOS apps than Android apps.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

 

I hate to be the one to tell you, but you're wrong. Android has 600,000 apps in the Play store as of June 2012.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_market) iOS has 650,000 as of June 11, 2012 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/App_Store_(iOS))

 

Lol... It cracks me up with jrag pulls info out of his butt and then gets disproven.  One of my daily highlights.  Then it's better when he tries to still argue his point.  lol.

 

Android apps are hideous and need more regulation for google's UI.  But with several different aspect ratios, processors, features, etc- continuity is hard.  Android doesnt necessary have to raise the bar- just make a standard- and force everyone to abide by it.  Then the phones will follow suit with aspect ratios, more up to date technology, etc. (I'm speaking of the cheaper ones).

 

Regardless... give me an iPad mini!

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #62 of 112
'I played around with this at Best Buy, considered picking it up, but then decided against it."

Does Best Buy carry the Nexus 7 now?
post #63 of 112

I really enjoyed all the erroneous and untrue statements reading the Android proponents comments about the Google Nexus 7.

 

The truth if anyone can consider Google Nexus 7 "buttery smooth" it is due to the use of a twelve core graphics processor.  Notably, the use of a twelve core graphics processor on a relatively small 7 inch screen with only 216 pixels per inch.

 

Interesting how "quality of apps" isn't a consideration of Android proponents because "it is too subjective."  No, you simply don't understand design and are unfamiliar with the requirements of a high quality user interface.

 

 

 
post #64 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

I doubt we will see Apple selling an iPad Mini for $199, so the Nexus ought to have its own niche of being an inexpensive tablet that is adequate for most users' needs.

 

If the rumors are true that the iPad Mini is based around the iPad 2, then it ought to be inexpensive to manufacture so there is no reason not to target $199 unless there is an Apple tax.

 

Apple sold over 17 million iPads last quarter alone. iPad sales numbers are fast approaching iPhone sales numbers.

 

Folks are willing to pay up to get an iPad. Competing with Apple on price in the tablet market (or rather, iPad market) is usually a losing proposition. 

 

What's an "Apple tax"?  Apple does not levy any additional tax on products above the standard rate you're already paying. 

post #65 of 112

this AI short Nexus 7 review is ... too short. it omits one really important fact and misses the most important "big picture."

 

the important missing fact is the Nexus 7 is wifi only. that of course is a very significant practical limitation on everyday use. especially since its smaller size makes it so portable. sure, Google will likely come out with a cellular model for, say, $275, but hasn't yet. wouldn't surprise me if they announce it in a week or two, ahead of the iPad Mini launch - there will certainly be a 3G Mini.

 

the missing big picture is the ecosystem. Google's strongest feature is its very extensive ecosystem, which is very very convenient for consumers who are totally set up with it. i would think that is the best reason to buy any Android device. ecosystems are far more important than isolated apps - the app supply issue, which isn't really that important.

 

the Google and Apple ecosystems are the two widest-reaching certainly. the don't match up completely, but certainly overlap predominantly. the big advantage of Apple's is its consistency enables all third party software to integrate with it smoothly, making it very easy for non-techie consumers to use increasingly sophisticated apps. whereas Android's fragmentation has resulted in pervasive inconsistencies among third party software and a general lowest-common-denominator dumbing-down - the app quality issue, which really is very important.

post #66 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

Impressively unbiased review. The Nexus 7 is a fantastic piece of hardware and software. I love that your only negatives are about it are android apps and the iPad mini. I actually think the android apps are more of a plus than a negative. All current android apps run full screen natively right out of the box on the Nexus 7. Something that the iPad mini might not be able to say. That being said, do you think apple can(will) compete on price? $199 is quite cheap. If the iPad mini is $299 I'd go for a Nexus 7. If it's $199, I'll take the iPad mini.

 

$199 is for the Nexus 7 with only 8 gigs of storage (and some taken up by the OS).   Will Apple sell an iPad mini with only 8 gigs?   Certainly all previous iPads have started at 16 gigs.    So it's possible that you'd really be comparing a $249 Nexus 7 vs. a $299 iPad mini (with the same amount of storage). Is the iPad worth $50 more?

post #67 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

this AI short Nexus 7 review is ... too short. it omits one really important fact and misses the most important "big picture."

 

the important missing fact is the Nexus 7 is wifi only. that of course is a very significant practical limitation on everyday use. especially since its smaller size makes it so portable. sure, Google will likely come out with a cellular model for, say, $275, but hasn't yet. wouldn't surprise me if they announce it in a week or two, ahead of the iPad Mini launch - there will certainly be a 3G Mini.

 

the missing big picture is the ecosystem. Google's strongest feature is its very extensive ecosystem, which is very very convenient for consumers who are totally set up with it. i would think that is the best reason to buy any Android device. ecosystems are far more important than isolated apps - the app supply issue, which isn't really that important.

 

the Google and Apple ecosystems are the two widest-reaching certainly. the don't match up completely, but certainly overlap predominantly. the big advantage of Apple's is its consistency enables all third party software to integrate with it smoothly, making it very easy for non-techie consumers to use increasingly sophisticated apps. whereas Android's fragmentation has resulted in pervasive inconsistencies among third party software and a general lowest-common-denominator dumbing-down - the app quality issue, which really is very important.

 

 

It was the same thing when the Kindle Fire was released. A lot of fanfare over nothing much. Great device, supposedly, and all that jazz, but the consensus was: "it's good but it's no iPad." 

 

And the whole effort fizzled after a few quarters.

post #68 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

That's just a lie and you know it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Pure FUD.
Keep in mind that there are hundreds of thousands more iOS apps than Android apps. So for your statement to be correct, there must be MANY hundreds of thousands of iOS apps that won't run on the iPad.
I'll settle for you naming just 10.

 

Angry birds phone version on Nexus 7. Click to enlarge

 

 

Angry birds phone version on iPad 2 Click to enlarge

 

 

Example of scaling.

 

 

Total fud, You are right! /s

"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
Reply
"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
Reply
post #69 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


It was the same thing when the Kindle Fire was released. A lot of fanfare over nothing much. Great device, supposedly, and all that jazz, but the consensus was: "it's good but it's no iPad." 

And the whole effort fizzled after a few quarters.

Agree 100% Quadra. I have a Kindle Fire and it is no iPad but for me it doesn't need to be. I mainly use mine as an e-reader which can do some ligght web surfing and in that regard it works just fine. If I want to get some good work done on a tablet however my iPad is my go-to device. I think Amazon's biggest mistake was in positioning the Fire against the iPad. They two are CLEARLY not equal but in my case there's a place for both.
post #70 of 112
I have an old double-din car stereo that's begging to be replaced with a 7-in tablet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0o1zkqEuec

I haven't figured out how to integrate the hands-free phone feature.

Another possibility is the Clarion Mirage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1TFiy2Dsdg

Personally, I think Google, Microsoft, and Apple are missing HUGE opportunities by not making carputers.

(Yes, I know about Ford Sync by Microsoft, but it's not the same thing.)
post #71 of 112

No camera to take photos and videos.  Oops.  I would think that that is a normal thing for mobile devices now.  I guess they didn't want to charge an extra $50 for about $10 worth of electronics.  I wouldn't buy one.  I would give that product a SIngle Star and tell Google to hang it up and stick to their search engine and put more resources into getting YouTube to behave better.

post #72 of 112

The iPad mini will probably come with a decent camera and maybe some other technology Apple has yet to announce.

post #73 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojala View Post

I got the Nexus 7 (16G) as well, originally the idea was that it was cheaper and smaller to travel with than the iPad 3.

 

I have been very positively surprised.  I prefer the size to the iPad.  All the primary apps work very well on the Android and Jelly Beam feels the first really usable Android version and most of all, feels very competitive to iOS -- in fact some features are already better such as the multitasking UI.

 

I have also an retina iPad 3 but 3/4 of the time I carry the Nexus instead.  The market is getting tougher for Apple for sure, takes a while for the Apple-blind audience to notice though.  (I'm all Apple in general and consider myself a fanboy, too)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

 

 

Angry birds phone version on Nexus 7. Click to enlarge

 

 

Angry birds phone version on iPad 2 Click to enlarge

 

 

Example of scaling.

 

 

Total fud, You are right! /s

This argument is rendered invalid by the following:

 

Almost all popular iPhone apps have a specially optimized Tablet version. 

 

Lets also not forget that not all Android apps scale correctly. Here is a prime example of a phone app being scaled on a tablet screen:

 

... at night.

Reply

... at night.

Reply
post #74 of 112
I keep going back to that unboxing video... that is truly a classic! No one will ever accusing them of copying Apple's packaging! eh Samsung?!
post #75 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

The iPad mini will probably come with a decent camera and maybe some other technology Apple has yet to announce.

 

yes. taking snapshots and vids is absolutely one of the very most important/popular uses of smartphones, and the iPhone does a great job, both hardware and software. the iPad is too big/clumsey for everyday snapshot use. but a Mini might be an excellent size for it. the larger screen will make it easier to see what you are doing at least. Apple definitely should give the Mini the same camera as the iPhone.

post #76 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

 

This argument is rendered invalid by the following:

 

Almost all popular iPhone apps have a specially optimized Tablet version. 

 

Lets also not forget that not all Android apps scale correctly. Here is a prime example of a phone app being scaled on a tablet screen:

 

Are you sure that's a tablet?? If so that's a mighty big thumb he has. . . 

 

 As far as the OP's point being "invalid" I'd disagree. I wasn't aware of the appearance difference between scaled apps on the two platforms and was surprised to see how well scaling works on Android apps, which would seem to negate the need for a "tablet-optimized" versions in many cases. Perhaps even most cases. 

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #77 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

What is a wool PC?

 

Must be horrible, to die in a wool PC!  ;-)

 

Look it up. ``died in the wool'' is an old idiom that you know but are mocking due to the fact the person didn't write, ``dyed-in-the-wool.''

post #78 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Are you sure that's a tablet?? If so that's a mighty big thumb he has. . . 

 

 As far as the OP's point being "invalid" I'd disagree. I wasn't aware of the appearance difference between scaled apps on the two platforms and was surprised to see how well scaling works on Android apps, which would seem to negate the need for a "tablet-optimized" versions in many cases. Perhaps even most cases. 

 

Bingo. That is exactly why Google chose 7". The larger tablets DO need tablet optimized apps. The Nexus 7 has a size such that it is not needed. I'm not arguing what size tablet is best. Just saying that's exactly why Google chose to go with 7".

post #79 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

 

This argument is rendered invalid by the following:

 

Almost all popular iPhone apps have a specially optimized Tablet version. 

 

Lets also not forget that not all Android apps scale correctly. Here is a prime example of a phone app being scaled on a tablet screen:

 

 

I can't say I have a single phone game that doesn't scale perfectly with my Nexus 7. All of the below were bought on my Phone and all work without "tablet optimised" special versions that would require a separate purchase. A selection of some below:

 

      

 

 

 

Universal apps on iOS are super cool but am not a fan of sd and HD versions of the same app. I also openly agree there must be apps that scale like crap on the Nexus or are purely broken.

"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
Reply
"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
Reply
post #80 of 112
Edit: Double Post. Sorry

Edited by NexusPhan - 8/31/12 at 11:21am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Review: Google's Nexus 7 tablet with Android 4.1