or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Availability of Apple's 27" iMac dwindles ahead of expected Ivy Bridge upgrade
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Availability of Apple's 27" iMac dwindles ahead of expected Ivy Bridge upgrade - Page 2

post #41 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

About 30-35% of Apple's customers buy desktops. The amount of that portion of users watching DVDs on their computers is probably very small because you can't really sit comfortably in front of a desktop computer. Optical drives can be noisy too, I'd rather not have drive noise interrupting a movie.
There are many good ways to enjoy a movie at your computer. Sometimes you just want a background fill to keep your mind occupied while you cruise the net, hack some software or design your latest and greatest.
Quote:
There is no reduction of choice though. You aren't forced to use a digital option. You just don't have to pay for a drive you might never use.
I don't understand some of these arguements either. While idbe the first to agree that dropping the optical from an iMac shouldn't be high priority, Apple has demonstrated the ability to make far better computers when given design flexibility.
Quote:
The GTX 680M looks like a good choice. They can also use the 7970M but from this site, it looks like the 680M would be a better choice:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-GeForce-GTX-680M-vs-Radeon-HD-7970M.77110.0.html
Interesting because that isn't what I took away from that sight. For many users AMDs solution is much better. I looked with great interest at some of the CAD numbers and was stunned that NVidia was that far behind. Yeah thermally AMD is a bit behind but then again this is in reality a different generation processor. I'd much rather give up a few watts in power to get a better desktop solution.
Quote:
1GB of memory should be enough at the current resolution. Apple is always tight with video memory for some reason.

Needed Video RAM depends upon what you do with the machine and how your software uses it. lf the iMac is a long term investment though, I'd have to think long and hard about only 1GB of RAM in an iMac. The reality is every year more load is put on GPUs by the system and applications.
post #42 of 54
Isn't 2 GB the max amount of memory the GTX 680M can have?

Edit: It is 4 GB. I would love to see Apple employ that option in the BTO.
Edited by Winter - 9/3/12 at 9:50am
post #43 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Did'ja ever notice that there aren't too many (read: any at all) external floppy drives around anymore?

Did'ja ever wonder why that might be?

 

That's right; your problem is wanting that in the first place. lol.gif

 

Your point on floppy drives makes no sense. Floppies were replaced by a choice of better technologies which offered everything floppies did and much more.

 

The current digital movie options are in some key ways hugely inferior to optical, and that isn't changing anytime soon. I can buy a box set of DVDs for next to nothing, rip them into nice DRM free files, then stream them through PLEX to any device on my network.  How does that compare with a hugely expensive DRM infested iTunes purchase? Or a low quality "HD" Netflix stream which requires a constant connection to work...

 

I just don't see any sane reason to remove the optical drive from a DESKTOP. Portability is a total no issue for obvious reasons, as is weight. Cost is also essentially a non issue as BD drives cost so little now, and DVD drives are pretty much free with Corn Flakes.

 

It seems that for some it's ideologically driven, and that the evidence simply doesn't support that stance. At least not yet, maybe it will in 5-10 years.

post #44 of 54
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post
How does that compare with a hugely expensive DRM infested iTunes purchase? Or a low quality "HD" Netflix stream which requires a constant connection to work...

 

Buy an Apple TV, stream to any television in your house. Digital files are identical in operation to DVDs, and you don't have to have a CLOSET full of them (because you DO have to keep them) to have a closet full of them. A 4TB 3.5" drive can hold ~500 1080p movies right now. In a few months the same capacity drive will be able to hold ~1,000 1080p movies.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #45 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu 
I just don't see any sane reason to remove the optical drive from a DESKTOP. Portability is a total no issue for obvious reasons, as is weight. Cost is also essentially a non issue as BD drives cost so little now, and DVD drives are pretty much free with Corn Flakes.

Cost isn't a non-issue. Apple has to design the optical drive into the form factor and make it part of the milling process. They have to choose what batch of drives to put in and order in bulk from a supplier. They have to adjust the internal layout so the connector cables aren't say crossing a heat pipe. They have to do QA testing on the drives to make sure they aren't broken. They have to allow for training staff to repair/replace broken optical drives. They have to setup information guides on how to use the drives. They have to put eject keys on their keyboards. They have to offer firmware upgrades for their drives.

Those are some reasons why it's $100 for you to buy one with the machine but $30 to buy one from a store. Apple is saving you money by leaving it out and it frees up a lot of their resources to make the rest of the computer better.

You will notice that their machines are gradually being stripped down to the bare essentials. The iPad is probably the best example of hardware that has no superfluous features and the Retina Macbook Pro is the next closest thing on the Mac side.

Think of it from the point of view of Apple shipping a printer with every Mac. We all need to print something at some point but nobody would expect Apple to ship every computer with a printer. They are just putting optical drives in the same category of non-essential components.
post #46 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


The GTX 680M looks like a good choice. They can also use the 7970M but from this site, it looks like the 680M would be a better choice:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-GeForce-GTX-680M-vs-Radeon-HD-7970M.77110.0.html
1GB of memory should be enough at the current resolution. Apple is always tight with video memory for some reason.

Current imacs can be configured with 2 in their top configurations. Going backward there would be odd. It's also not just about display resolution. 256MB could refresh the desktop.

post #47 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

No, you do it by removing the drive. This has worked for every technology Apple has removed from devices.

 

 

So feel free to continue to use last century's technology while Apple moves everyone else forward.

 

 

BR and DVD will be around for some time yet and there are some markets where they have to accommodate these users.  I'm in one. We only started producing BR this spring and still work with DVD, too.  Many of our customers don't own computers nor iPads; they have 50" plasma TVs at home connected to a BR or DVD player.  When Japan went completely digital TV last year, lots of people still had VCRs; I know several who still do, by choice.

 

This is not to say that Apple should keep the OD in the iMac.  Companies that need BR or whatever will by definition have an external (or internal for MacPro) burner or even a duplicator like the Bravo Pro (if the ink weren't so darned expensive we'd have one).  Third parties will support the needs for a while.

 

Apple needs to push forward, but that doesn't mean that everyone will move with them at the same pace, and it certainly doesn't make those people any lesser for it.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #48 of 54
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post
Apple needs to push forward, but that doesn't mean that everyone will move with them at the same pace, and it certainly doesn't make those people any lesser for it.

 

No, certainly not. They absolutely have the right and choice to continue using old technology while new stuff comes out. It's the whining about the fact that there IS new stuff and how they will eventually have to change that is bothersome.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #49 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

No, certainly not. They absolutely have the right and choice to continue using old technology while new stuff comes out. It's the whining about the fact that there IS new stuff and how they will eventually have to change that is bothersome.

This I have to agree with.   I would be surprised to find some of these people with beta video systems still running in their basements.

 

On a side note Apple is apparently releasing iPhone 5 in ten days.   That is good news for many but how many here think we will see a Mini or iMac update on or before that date?    Obviously I want to see what is happening with the Mini but remain hopeful that Apple will pull their head out and build an iMac that I'd want to purchase.

post #50 of 54
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
…how many here think we will see a Mini or iMac update on or before that date?    Obviously I want to see what is happening with the Mini but remain hopeful that Apple will pull their head out and build an iMac that I'd want to purchase.

 

I don't think Apple gives a crap about its computers anymore. We'd be lucky to see a new computer before the end of the year at this point. And iLife and iWork? HA!

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #51 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

I don't think Apple gives a crap about its computers anymore. We'd be lucky to see a new computer before the end of the year at this point. And iLife and iWork? HA!


This is once again more crap. They care about anything which generates significant profit. It just doesn't carry as much weight. The people claiming they would just walk on several billion a year (there are some on here) lack a functional thought process.

post #52 of 54
Not to post too off topic but it's a good thing football season starts tomorrow so I'll have something else to focus on besides waiting for the Apple Store to update.
post #53 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post

Not to post too off topic but it's a good thing football season starts tomorrow so I'll have something else to focus on besides waiting for the Apple Store to update.

I spend way to much time here myself. The best thing to do is to find other interests, build a CNC machine or something. Or go for a hike.

Besides admit to the idea that watching football on a retina display could be very interesting to say the least.
post #54 of 54
There are a few options I have to do though not enough on the internet which is where I spend a lot of my time. Taking a walk/hike is a good idea though not with this hot weather. I prefer the cold.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Availability of Apple's 27" iMac dwindles ahead of expected Ivy Bridge upgrade