or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › 'iPad mini' will be challengingly thin thanks to 'GF2' technology

'iPad mini' will be challengingly thin thanks to 'GF2' technology

post #1 of 120
Apple's new, smaller iPad will reportedly be so thin and light that production of the device has posed a particular challenge to the company.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo with KGI Securities said in a research note issued on Friday that the so-called "iPad mini" will feature industry leading "GF Ditto," otherwise known as GF2, touchscreen technology. He said that Apple will be the first company in the world to commercialize and mass produce GF Ditto technology.

The new method is apparently an improvement from the "G/G touch structure" Apple currently utilizes in its third-generation iPad with Retina display. The switch will allow the new iPad to be not only thinner but significantly lighter.

The iPad mini will be about as thin as Apple's next-generation iPhone, according to Kuo. He estimates that the iPad mini's panel thickness will be below 2.2 millimeters alone, or below 4.2 millimeters including the printed circuit board — both numbers that he said are thinner than the average tablet on the market today.

Production of a device so thin and light has become a particular challenge for Apple in the manufacturing process, he said. In particular, the thinness of the new iPad "poses a challenge to panel assembly yield," as well as passing the company's "drop test" for durability.

Difficulties in manufacturing the iPad mini allegedly led to an internal delay in launching the device, according to Kuo. He believes that shipments of the smaller iPad will begin in the first half of October, and the device will become available to consumers in late October.

Comparison Mockup
Mockup comparing sizes of iPads, Google's Nexus 7 and Amazon's Kindle Fire. | Source: iMore

In addition to the ultra-thin design, he also said the iPad mini will feature a high-definition forward-facing FaceTime camera, and a 5-megapixel rear camera.

Given the rumored supply constraints with the new design, Kuo has cut his projected iPad mini shipments this year from 15.1 million to 10.2 million. He said that Apple has increased orders for the iPad 2 as of July to "cope with delays in iPad mini launch."

Kuo's note issued Friday also claimed that Apple plans to update its current iPad with Retina display this fall, giving the device a new 9-pin dock connector but leaving the rest of the device largely unchanged.
post #2 of 120

I'm still hoping that New Apple is just pulling off the greatest hoax of their company's history and weeding out leaks.

If anything would be a result of a doubling down of security, it's all this "confirmed" information about a product that was never going to exist in the first place. Leak one thing to one place, another thing to another. Then fire everyone when something on the list leaks out.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #3 of 120

If we ever get to a reliable VOIP solution and Retina for this device, I'd be REALLY tempted to make an LTE version of this my only device.

I'm dead serious.

post #4 of 120
Originally Posted by GQB View Post
If we ever get to a reliable VOIP solution and Retina for this device, I'd be REALLY tempted to make an LTE version of this my only device.

I'm dead serious.

You'd hold a 7", 3:2 phone to your face?

post #5 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Given the rumored supply constraints with the new design, Kuo has cut his projected iPad mini shipments this year from 15.1 million to 10.2 million. He said that Apple has increased orders for the iPad 2 as of July to "cope with delays in iPad mini launch.".

You've got to love analysts:

"We don't have any evidence that there's really going to be a product, we don't know the price, we don't know the features, don't know the launch date (if any), we don't know anything about it - and can't even be sure of its existence, but we predicted that Apple would sell 15.1 M units this year.

But now, on the basis of unfounded rumors about supply of this product that may or may not exist and which may or may not have an attractive price/features, and which still has unknown features, price, launch date, etc, we are now going to reduce our estimate to 10.2 M".

Yes, with that kind of detail, I can see whey they're giving estimates with a 1% error margin. /s
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #6 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ironically, one wouldn't hold an iPhone or Mini to one's face for FaceTime.

post #7 of 120
Quote:

I'm still hoping that New Apple is just pulling off the greatest hoax of their company's history and weeding out leaks.

Why? How in the world does it affect you if Apple releases a product that you don't want to buy? I really can't stand your constant derision and hatred for things like an iPad Mini, NFC, and even the 'Iphone 5' name. The fact that you don't like something doesn't make it evil.
Quote:

Where did he say that?

Maybe bluetooth headsets are another of those things you hate.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #8 of 120
Quote:

Are you prepared to eat a truckload of crow if (IMHO, when) Apple announces an iPad Mini?
post #9 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Why? How in the world does it affect you if Apple releases a product that you don't want to buy? I really can't stand your constant derision and hatred for things like an iPad Mini, NFC, and even the 'Iphone 5' name. The fact that you don't like something doesn't make it evil.

You know, I feel the same way about a lot of products here. Android, Windows...

Oh well.

post #10 of 120
Quote:

If anything would be a result of a doubling down of security, it's all this "confirmed" information about a product that was never going to exist in the first place. Leak one thing to one place, another thing to another. Then fire everyone when something on the list leaks out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWTHeckman View Post

Are you prepared to eat a truckload of crow if (IMHO, when) Apple announces an iPad Mini?

He is expressing his wish. One doesn't need to eat crow if one's wish doesn't come true. Otherwise, there would be a crow restaurant next to every wishing well.

post #11 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

You know, I feel the same way about a lot of products here. Android, Windows...

Oh well.

This is an Apple forum. Both Windows and Android are cheap, knockoff OS'es that are liked and used by people who are aesthetically challenged, and in the case of Android, that very often includes economically challenged people too.

post #12 of 120
How in the world does it affect you if Apple releases a product that you don't want to buy?

It affects Apple, which in turn affects the customers. I'd prefer they be as successful as possible. The fewer bad products the better.

I really can't stand your constant derision and hatred for things like an iPad Mini, NFC, and even the 'Iphone 5' name.

I've nothing at all against NFC.

Where did he say that?

Where he said "VoIP".

Originally Posted by EWTHeckman View Post

I'll eat some Humboldt pie once the first quarter's sales and reviews thereafter come in. Maybe.

post #13 of 120

RIP Kindle Fire 2.

post #14 of 120
Quote:

You are beginning to sound like 'the iPad is just a toy / big iPod' brigade from post iPad launch. Embrace it, even if it's not for you.

post #15 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

He is expressing his wish. One doesn't need to eat crow if one's wish doesn't come true. Otherwise, there would be a crow restaurant next to every wishing well.

Well, he has repeatedly said the iPad mini will be a poor product.

post #16 of 120
Once again this week we're getting all these windows 8 laptop, tablet, hybrid concepts. Samsung just showed off a front and back dual screen laptop concept. To be honest most of this is throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks and a lot of it is gimmicky. I'm glad Apple doesn't show us concepts and prototypes they're working on. Just show it to us when you're ready to sell it. And I'm glad Apple knows when something should see the light of day or not. It's clear with Samsung anything that comes to their mind gets built and announced to the public. lol.gif
post #17 of 120
Originally Posted by paxman View Post
Embrace it, even if it's not for you.

When I hear of even a single purpose for the device that isn't better served as a proper-sized tablet or on a pocketable screen, I'll think about doing that.

post #18 of 120
What's also interesting is all these windows OEM's are going all in with laptop/tablet hybrid concept. As well as touch screen on the AIO's. Will be interesting to see how these fare in the marketplace, especially with Tim Cook stating that converged devices give the end user a compromised experience.
post #19 of 120
Quote:

Well, he has repeatedly said the iPad mini will be a poor product.

Sounds more like a problem related to disagreeing with Steven Jobs', in my opinion not his best, remarks about the impossibility of making a good product at a smaller size. I am confident Apple can do that, and I will never buy an iPad before I can have one that fits into my jacket pocket. My wife carries a handbag, I don't, so until then she will be the only one of us carrying an iPad.

post #20 of 120

Tallest Skil, I have the greatest respects for your opinions and judgements on this and other Mac websites. 

However I think you are missing a couple of points about the possible virtues of an iPad "mini".

In a café or bar and wanting to access the interweb and read the content on an iPhone it almost requires glasses.

Lugging an iPad, wonderful as one is, is too much of a problem and also a little irritating/obtrusive to those alongside you.

If, and it is a big if, a wifi/3 or 4 G mini iPad duplicates/uses all the functions of a big iPad with iOS6 and is with a thin bezel it would certainly for those who have hand/man/bags or large pockets be a near perfect solution.

No I wouldn't use it to make calls I would use the iPhone 5 (and the not Samsung et al monster screen sizes not being mimicked by the iPhone would be explained by the mini iPad) in conjunction with the mini iPad.

post #21 of 120

I agree with the VOIP idea; it's the exact thing I've been waiting for, too. For portability, I'd much rather use an iPad Mini with a bluetooth earpiece than both an iPhone and a full-sized iPad. A single iPad Mini is a much less expensive solution, too.

Edited by Gamrin - 8/31/12 at 12:15pm
post #22 of 120
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
Lugging an iPad, wonderful as one is, is too much of a problem and also a little irritating/obtrusive to those alongside you.

Is it? And 'lugging'? I guess I can't comment on that; I've not been in Ireland (Europe/small pubs) since aught eight, so I don't have firsthand experience seeing iPads in a pub setting. Would it really be in the way? I don't recall the barstools being that close together… 

post #23 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

This is an Apple forum. Both Windows and Android are cheap, knockoff OS'es that are liked and used by people who are aesthetically challenged, and in the case of Android, that very often includes economically challenged people too.

Without commenting on whether it's money well spent, I'm certain (because of their inefficiency and bureaucratization if nothing else) that MS has spent far more money and engineering resources on Windows 8 than Apple spent on Lion + Mountain Lion over a similar time frame, and it's hardly a knock off of anything I know of.  And it may not be my aesthetic, but it has its design and UI points (and problems).

It's also true that MS historically has consistently invested a higher percentage of gross income into R&D than Apple - and AAPL's R&D last I researched things (about two years ago), is actually below the industry average in general. 

That may be because of focus, good project selection etc. - no Kin/Zune/three years late OS's etc. disasters at Apple that I can recall of late - but it is of interest.  Personally there are a few small old rough edges I would've liked to have seen dealt with with a few bucks of said focus, but the point of my post is there's no need to build up Apple by misstatement - they've simply executed better on so many levels. 

And a lot of the ugly Win aesthetic was set in stone by Fortune 1000 companies having too much custom software embedded in their corporate structures going back to Win 95 and certainly the Fisher/Price XP days that they're still not ready to give up because a) tech is not their primary focus and mission and b) they lack the resources to check how changes in their internal software will propagate across their whole enterprises 

Further, I do believe Google's spending big on Android development.  It's a strategic bet though - MS and soon maybe Apple are the companies collecting royalties on Android devices rather than Google.  Ironic, but I kinda love it....

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #24 of 120
Quote:

Parlez vous BlueTooth 4.0 Monsieur?

post #25 of 120
Quote:

It affects Apple, which in turn affects the customers. I'd prefer they be as successful as possible. The fewer bad products the better.

And what makes it so sure that it's a bad product?

Oh, I know. You are smarter than Apple's design team. They could never figure out how to make a good 8" product, so they'll just ship a pile of crap, instead.
Quote:

Then why did you say "I agree. I certainly hope there's no dedicated "NFC hardware" in Apple's digital wallet implementation." in the NFC thread?
Quote:

Where he said "VoIP".

So? What makes you think that VOIP won't work through a bluetooth headset?
Quote:

I'll eat some Humboldt pie once the first quarter's sales and reviews thereafter come in. Maybe.

That's humble pie - and, yes, you will.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #26 of 120
And what makes it so sure that it's a bad product? Oh, I know. You are smarter than Apple's design team. They could never figure out how to make a good 8" product, so they'll just ship a pile of crap, instead.

Yep. That's certainly not the opposite of my position and not something I've talked about before.

Then why did you say it was garbage in the NFC thread and insist that BT was the only good solution?

… Bluetooth for NFC. NFC isn't hardware, it's a set of standards. I see Bluetooth (over specialized hardware) being a better solution to push out a type of NFC chosen by Apple.

So? What makes you think that VOIP won't work through a bluetooth headset?

Nothing. I never said anything about that.

That's humble pie - and, yes, you will.

I know what it is; I'm making fun of the idea that I would ever be. I won't. Simple.

post #27 of 120
Quote:

Hey that's in my neck of the woods!

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Humboldt,+SK&hl=en&ll=52.200874,-105.122681&spn=4.070791,11.969604&sll=62.657328,-95.989235&sspn=110.015937,23.027344&oq=humboldt&hnear=Humboldt,+Division+No.+15,+Saskatchewan&t=m&z=8

post #28 of 120

I've cut slices so thin, I couldn't even see them!

The_Slicer.jpg

post #29 of 120

I agree with Tallest Skil when he says there are far more leaks about forthcoming Apple products than there were under Steve Jobs. Clearly it's something that Tim Cook is not so worried about, but he was not at Apple when Microsoft stole its ideas and Apple nearly collapsed. The best way of finding who leaks what to whom is to put out some to select individuals in your company, a different and unreal piece of information to each one, and then see which ones get into the press. You sack the people who leak, and keep the ones who don't. Unless you believe it's all hype for the product...

post #30 of 120
Quote:

The problem is your saying it will be a bad product doesn't make it so. Success comes from offering your customers the hardware that they want, as such I believe there is a bigger demand for 7" devices than you might want to admit too. Of course demand doesn't mean that Apple will produce a "good" product, that is a function of design and components contained.
Quote:

Where he said "VoIP".
considering how large cell phones have been in the past I don't see that as impossible. Certainly people would look funny with a 7" iPad held to their heads. How ever this is a new age we have other choices like ear buds, and Bluetooth devices.
Quote:

It would be better to get over yourself now. Seriously why is it that you have nothing to say about iPod classic or other slower sellers in Apples catalog? Products have a niche to fill and iPad Mini is simply a device to fill a niche. I believe that it will sell rather well, maybe it won't compared to the current iPad but I honestly see it selling just as well or better. Even at half the sales of the iPad per quarter it would still be a roaring success.

Frankly your nonsense here makes about as much sense as raging on the 11" air because you prefer the 13" or whatever. If you prefer one machine, fine that is your choice but don't knock another device just because it isn't for you. Other wise you look a bit more than silly here.
post #31 of 120
Quote:

When I hear of even a single purpose for the device that isn't better served as a proper-sized tablet or on a pocketable screen, I'll think about doing that.

By that logic, they never should have offered an iPod mini, nano, or shuffle in place of the iPod . Or an Air, or 13" MBP in place of the 15" MBP. All sacrificed usability and functionality upon the alter of size and portability. But. For some people -- probably not you -- the increase in portability and the decrease in size and weight made one of those devices a better choice for them.

Plenty of other people have stated that they'd like one. And the 7" form factor is really the only competition that Apple has in the Android/Kindle arena.

And as has been pointed out time and again, Apple would rather cannibalize it's own product line than let someone else do it for them.

It's coming, and it may not sell as well the full size iPad. Or they may sell more. Regardless, those are APPLE sales, and not Android/Windows sales.

post #32 of 120
Quote:

You are beginning to sound like 'the iPad is just a toy / big iPod' brigade from post iPad launch. Embrace it, even if it's not for you.

I don't think it is so much an issue of embracing it, it is realizing that if it isn't for you that doesn't make it a bad product. For many the 7" device will be an ideal product. At the moment I doubt I would buy one for my personal needs but I'd jump at the chance to get one for use at work. Different needs require different devices as such a 7" iPad would be very useful for those with a heavy work schedule and those constantly on the move. The current iPad is just too big for use 8-12 hours a day on a plant floor.
post #33 of 120
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
Seriously why is it that you have nothing to say about iPod classic or other slower sellers in Apples catalog? 

I've been saying that this is the year of discontinuation for three years. It's obviously not selling as slowly as I'm thinking it is, and not even as slowly as the 17" MacBook Pro. I still think they'll do it once a 128GB iPod touch exists, if the iPod touch keeps existing, that is.

Products have a niche to fill and iPad Mini is simply a device to fill a niche. 

But Apple hasn't historically been a niche company. They'll build a dart big enough to hit 70% of the dartboard, chuck it, and let it stick where it is. It either falls off or stays up and everyone else's smaller darts fill in the rest. Apple doesn't make a dumb phone, they don't make an el cheapo tower in fifty configurations, they don't make a 24" iMac in between the 21.5" and 27", they don't make a 32" iMac for those crazy peeps, they don't make a twice-the-height Mac Mini with a swappable half-length PCIe slot… 

That's why I don't see the iPad mini being a good product and why I initially didn't believe they'd ever do it (they wouldn't have ever done it under Steve). When Steve said the iPad was an "in-between" product, he wasn't claiming that Apple was going to fill all the perceived "cracks" in a lineup of products. The iPad isn't a laptop without a keyboard, it's a tablet. And it's not a big iPhone, it's a tablet. It's a whole new thing and operates in an entirely new way. The iMac isn't a crack-filler between the Mac Mini and Mac Pro, for example. And the MacBook wasn't a crack-filler between the Macbook Air and MacBook Pro. Each… what am I trying to say here… it's not that socialist saying; that's completely wrong… Each product fills a matrix; none is a stopgap. An iPad mini is a stopgap.

And it has nothing at all to do with my needs or what works for me. A Mac Mini wouldn't work for me in any situation for any of my needs. It's not a bad product, and that's stated both subjectively (me) and objectively (sales, reviews, and continued sale). It has purpose, it serves said purpose, and it does it successfully, as per the sum total of what the community believes.

post #34 of 120

Whether the rumors are true or not, Apple needs to push its manufacturing capabilities far beyond what rivals can deliver.  Even a six month lead will leave the rivals grabbing for crumbs.  As long as Apple can sell every device, it doesn't matter what the competitors do.  It will be very costly for competitors to try to keep up because they'd also have to purchase the best equipment which will be too expensive for them to do in any quantity.  As Apple acquires more money, they should turn any extra back to R&D and invest in the latest manufacturing equipment and facilities.  Even if a rival has a hit product, they're not going to be able to deliver it to consumers as well as Apple can and it will end up as just another product lost in the shuffle.

At one point I thought that Apple would be able to share components among several product, but I wonder if that is even possible.  I thought the iPhone and iPod Touch might share a lot of internal components, but it seems that isn't true, because the iPod Touch has been left to stagnate as Apple puts everything into the iPhone because that's the main money-maker.  I want to see Apple continue to build upon its economies of scale so that it can produce the best products for the lowest price and highest margins.  More Apple retail stores will also help move products and improve customer service. I honestly don't see how companies like Amazon and Google can compete against Apple when it comes to hardware.  It always seems to silly to hear the pundits claim that Apple is under threat from smaller companies that are barely making any profits and only selling a few devices.  Aside from Samsung, it doesn't appear that Apple has any rivals worth worrying about.  Microsoft may have plenty of money to throw around, but so far that hasn't helped it sell mobile products.

One thing I'd like to see Apple make strides in and that's battery technology.  Why can't Apple get the best battery technology available in put it in its products.  Although maybe there's a risk involved with new technology that Apple isn't willing to take the risks if something goes wrong.

post #35 of 120
This certainly goes along with what I've been saying about the weight being a keynote concern for making a smaller Apple tablet a viable product.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #36 of 120
Quote:

I've said this to you before so probably you just don't buy it, but ... for those of us that type a lot on our iPads, but don't use external keyboards (not a small group actually), the iPad mini would have a much improved (thumb) typing experience.  

My bet is that the iPad mini will mostly be marketed as a lighter more portable version of the regular iPad.  That's the sales point.  

Again, for those of us that actually use them day in and day out to get real work done, we will benefit from the lighter, and thinner format.  These two aspects of the design alone are more than enough to sell the iPad mini.  When you add in the fact that it's the perfect "kids iPad" and that it will also be (presumably) a lot cheaper, it will undoubtedly be a bigger seller than the original.  

I expect sales to take off like a rocket once it's released.  

post #37 of 120
Quote:

Increased portability and lower price point are valid enough reasons. You'll be hard pressed to find apps are better on an 11" MBA than on a 15" MBP or larger Mac/Display but I'm sure you know the 11" MBA has a solid market because of its portability, and on a less note because of it's low entry price for a Mac notebook.

As an aside, I've come across plenty of privately owned companies that have expressed desire to use iPads over other tablets for various jobs but have decided to go with other options because of the $499 entry price for the current iPad even though app development and usability is considerably cheaper and better.

post #38 of 120
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post
…the iPad mini would have a much improved (thumb) typing experience.  

Do you mean that you type a lot on the iPad in portrait mode?

My bet is that the iPad mini will mostly be marketed as a lighter more portable version of the regular iPad.  That's the sales point.

Okay. But that's what the iPad is doing to itself naturally. They'll make it ever thinner and the weight ever less. Messing with the screen size (and some say ratio!) doesn't make it that, as it ceases being a regular iPad.

Again, for those of us that actually use them day in and day out to get real work done, we will benefit from the lighter, and thinner format.

You'll benefit from a screen half the size to get… work done? People always complain about how iWork on the iPhone is for touchups… If you've ONLY an iPhone prior, I can see how it would be an improvement, but then the actual iPad exists (and has for years) and it is already a massive improvement for that purpose. 

post #39 of 120

Well, the iPad mini works for me atleast. lol.gif

Firstly, it might be quite cheap compared to what Apple offers currently. (hey, I cannot afford the current iPad)

Secondly, its going to serve a lot of purposes being lighter, and atleast a tad more portable than the current iPad.

When Apple brings the iPad mini out, the world would piss like a dog and millions of people would be buying it.

iPhone 4. That's the only Apple Device i own.

I wish all these devices were subsidized here too.

iPhone 4. That's the only Apple Device i own.

I wish all these devices were subsidized here too.

post #40 of 120
Quote:

Beauty of purpose is in the eyes of the beholder.

A son handling with ease a 'luminous' rectangle the size of his dad's slightly overblown frontal cortex... A grandma gathering with one trembling hand the embezzling pictures of her granddaughter while holding her steady and securely on her lap...

...a beloved moderator who, post a fit of rage, gets to watch the turmoil...in a wee smaller format...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • 'iPad mini' will be challengingly thin thanks to 'GF2' technology
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › 'iPad mini' will be challengingly thin thanks to 'GF2' technology