or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › 'iPad mini' will be challengingly thin thanks to 'GF2' technology
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'iPad mini' will be challengingly thin thanks to 'GF2' technology - Page 2

post #41 of 120
Originally Posted by Berp View Post
...a beloved moderator who, post a fit of rage, gets to watch the turmoil...in a wee smaller format...

 

Abject nonsense.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #42 of 120

You obviously didn't choose the most popular pubs!

Over here in UK pubs sharing on phones internet content is something that many people do but not one at which the not so large Apple phones excel but the likes of Shamesung do.

However something which is not just an e-book reader but copies the abilities of the existing iPad3 but in a smaller format would be a winner on many different levels.

It has to said looking at comments/criticisms on the various sites about the size of the rumoured iPhone 5 and worries about it fitting into a "pocket" amuse me in that, knowing America ( and CA in particular), what they mean is trouser/pants pockets. Here, UK/Northern Europe, when we talk about pockets we mean jackets (think wet/cold weather gear) which have the capacity to accommodate such a device and with such a device it could keep us amused on our daily commute or lunchtime trip to the pub/cafe/fast salmonella outfit!

post #43 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But Apple hasn't historically been a niche company. They'll build a dart big enough to hit 70% of the dartboard, chuck it, and let it stick where it is. It either falls off or stays up and everyone else's smaller darts fill in the rest. Apple doesn't make a dumb phone, they don't make an el cheapo tower in fifty configurations, they don't make a 24" iMac in between the 21.5" and 27"

 

Again, tell that to the shuffle, nano, mini, and iPod. And to the 11", 13", 15" and (formerly) 17" MBP. And to the 21" and 27" iMac.

 

The point being that they WILL build to hit a niche if they believe it's wanted and if they believe they can build a quality product that fills that need.

post #44 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I want to see Apple continue to build upon its economies of scale so that it can produce the best products for the lowest price and highest margins. 

 

They do. And that's why they're still selling the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS. The easiest way to build upon economies of scale is to keep building a lot more of what you already know how to build...

post #45 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

When I hear of even a single purpose for the device that isn't better served as a proper-sized tablet or on a pocketable screen, I'll think about doing that.

There are three different size MB's and two different size iMacs. What you lack in imagination and vision you make up for in quips, I guess. But a fast tongue and self assurance does not make you right. After a while it tends to make you something else, though. 

post #46 of 120
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
You obviously didn't choose the most popular pubs!

…comments/criticisms on the various sites about the size of the rumored iPhone 5 and worries about it fitting into a "pocket" amuse me… Here, UK/Northern Europe, when we talk about pockets we mean jackets…

 

You're absolutely right, I did specifically choose out of the way pubs rather than potential tourist locations. And your perspective is interesting. Maybe this thing would sell best where it's always winter…


Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post
Again, tell that to the shuffle, nano, mini, and iPod. And to the 11", 13", 15" and (formerly) 17" MBP. And to the 21" and 27" iMac.

 

Listing off products does not an argument make. I recently explained what I'm talking about, but I forget what thread that was in.


Originally Posted by paxman View Post

There are three different size MB's and two different size iMacs. What you lack in imagination and vision you make up for in quips, I guess. But a fast tongue and self assurance does not make you right. After a while it tends to make you something else, though. 

 

Also missed the post I made explaining that, eh?

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #47 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berp View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

When I hear of even a single purpose for the device that isn't better served as a proper-sized tablet or on a pocketable screen, I'll think about doing that.
Beauty of purpose is in the eyes of the beholder.

A son handling with ease a 'luminous' rectangle the size of his dad's slightly overblown frontal cortex... A grandma gathering with one trembling hand the embezzling pictures of her granddaughter while holding her steady and securely on her lap...

...a beloved moderator who, post a fit of rage, gets to watch the turmoil...in a wee smaller format...

 

My... what an interesting way of expressing your thoughts...

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #48 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Also missed the post I made explaining that, eh?

No - but it makes no difference. I was referring to your inability to envisage scenarios where a smaller form factor might be as good or better.

post #49 of 120

Tallest Skil, Jonny Ive went to Newcastle Polytechnic (where I went to University) and he would appreciate the idea of some pocketable device having been educated in such a dire environment (pax Geordies!).

Summer in Newcastle, it is believed, exists for few days between the end of the summer University/Polytechnic term/semester and the start of the Autumn/fall one.

Never saw it, even after 6 years there.

post #50 of 120

I have been thinking about this since the rumors started.  I would like to try a smaller tablet form factor to see if it is useful.  I thought that the B&N Tablet was a better-spec'd device than the Amazon device.  However, lacking any specific need for it, I never would consider buying a non-Apple small(er) tablet.

 

We each have our own iPad, so if the iPad Mini looks good, and is priced right, I'll buy one and see what the family thinks!

 

That's one of the benefits of being an AAPL shareholder... the appreciation in value helps pay for new Apple toys... which, in turn, helps AAPL appreciate in value.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #51 of 120

and what is so great about these devices being thin.  my ipad is hard to hold because it's too thin.  but it's the first thing every reviewer talks about.  what a pile, it's a non-benefit and hardly a feature worth mentioning.  make them a 1/8 thicker and extreme battery life.  easier to hold. both for the ipad (which i use hours every day) and the iphone.

post #52 of 120
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
Summer in Newcastle, it is believed, exists for few days between the end of the summer University/Polytechnic term/semester and the start of the Autumn/fall one.

Never saw it, even after 6 years there.

 

I love British Isles weather stories.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #53 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm still hoping that New Apple is just pulling off the greatest hoax of their company's history and weeding out leaks.


If anything would be a result of a doubling down of security, it's all this "confirmed" information about a product that was never going to exist in the first place. Leak one thing to one place, another thing to another. Then fire everyone when something on the list leaks out.

Yes, this sounds ENTIRELY plausible. Entirely.

Incredible the levels of self delusion and irrationality that some can go to when they don't want to believe in something. I imagine apple has better things to do with their time than to go to such lengths to do something like this, which would do nothing but hurt them as people start anticipating a product that is never released. It's happening. And by the looks of it, Apple is pushing the envelope once again. Deal with it and move on.
post #54 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But Apple hasn't historically been a niche company. They'll build a dart big enough to hit 70% of the dartboard, chuck it, and let it stick where it is. It either falls off or stays up and everyone else's smaller darts fill in the rest. Apple doesn't make a dumb phone, they don't make an el cheapo tower in fifty configurations, they don't make a 24" iMac in between the 21.5" and 27", they don't make a 32" iMac for those crazy peeps, they don't make a twice-the-height Mac Mini with a swappable half-length PCIe slot… 

What a silly argument.

They currently sell 2 different sized iMacs (with substantial configurability).
They currently sell 2 different sized MacBook Airs.
They currently sell 3 different sized MacBook Pros (more if you count the retina displays as different devices).
They currently sell 4 different sizes of iPods.

How do you conclude from those facts that they could only sell one size of iPad?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #55 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmantle View Post

and what is so great about these devices being thin.  my ipad is hard to hold because it's too thin.  but it's the first thing every reviewer talks about.  what a pile, it's a non-benefit and hardly a feature worth mentioning.  make them a 1/8 thicker and extreme battery life.  easier to hold. both for the ipad (which i use hours every day) and the iphone.

But that would make them heavier and harder to hold.

post #56 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post


Yes, this sounds ENTIRELY plausible. Entirely.
Incredible the levels of self delusion and irrationality that some can go to when they don't want to believe in something. I imagine apple has better things to do with their time than to go to such lengths to do something like this, which would do nothing but hurt them as people start anticipating a product that is never released. It's happening. And by the looks of it, Apple is pushing the envelope once again. Deal with it and move on.

He knows but needed a new way to say the same thing he's been saying for weeks.  

post #57 of 120
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
Incredible the levels of self delusion and irrationality that some can go to when they don't want to believe in something.

 

Like the people that say these leaked pictures aren't of the next iPhone because they refuse to believe Apple would use the same design again. lol.gif

 

…do nothing but hurt them as people start anticipating a product that is never released.

 

Yeah, that's never happened before.

 

It's happening.

 

Someone better tell M. Night Shyamalan that we can speak with certainty of the future.

 

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
How do you conclude from those facts that they could only sell one size of iPad?

 

I don't, and I didn't. 

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #58 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

You are beginning to sound like 'the iPad is just a toy / big iPod' brigade from post iPad launch. Embrace the rumour, even if it's not true.

 

There, that looks better.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #59 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post

Lugging an iPad, wonderful as one is, is too much of a problem and also a little irritating/obtrusive to those alongside you.

 

 

A good cigar will help with this, if you are irritating/obtrusive enough, they will go away.

 

/s

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #60 of 120
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
There, that looks better.

 

Ah, I'm having a laugh at the past right now.

 

Funny how the iPad mini and the thought of a ~7" screen device has received the exact same predictions as the product referenced in these posts: 


Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post
OK… no-one has said it yet so ! ! !F A K E! ! !
other than that, ... ummm your all idiots its ACTUALLY an Apple TV remote!
see... now the thread is complete 
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
The iPhone is too big even for my big hands.
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
I fail to see how making a smaller one would make the device significantly cheaper. If anything, wouldn't it make it more expensive? Plus it makes touch interaction much more difficult as the buttons are presumably smaller.
 

Follow the links (they're different articles) to see what product that was.

 

Props to you, hill60, for that "scissors and glue" comment (not quoted here). lol.gif


Edited by Tallest Skil - 8/31/12 at 3:15pm

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #61 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWTHeckman View Post

Are you prepared to eat a truckload of crow if (IMHO, when) Apple announces an iPad Mini?

I must admit I'm starting to see it makes since after initially doubting. Why not take on Amazon and the rest in the small tablet market? I doubt it will impact iPad full size sales.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #62 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Someone better tell M. Night Shyamalan that we can speak with certainty of the future.

 

 

*Sigh* Your quips get old. I say it's happening because there's been far too much evidence that it is. I don't need to be a damn fortune-teller. Just being attentive to the signs, and using some common sense. Anyway, history will decide who's right, and we'll find out soon enough. And I expect at least an apology if you're wrong, as well as many other people on this forum, because I believe we sincerely deserve it after all you've posted about the matter. 

 

PS- The existence of the 11" Macbook Air completely destroys your premise of why a smaller ipad wouldnt be made. The smaller Air is not better at anything, it's simply smaller, lighter, and cheaper. For some, including me, the screensize is too small and cramped for a desktop OS. However, Apple made the decision to create it because they believed that the niche was big enough to fill. I'm not pat of that niche. I wouldn't buy it. But that doesn't mean I believe Apple shouldn't have made it. The iPad scenario is IDENTICAL. The niche it would fill is much larger than that of the 11" Air, not to mention being potentially a MUCH more popular product. Your arguments have no legs to stand on based on Apple's history. 

post #63 of 120
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
I say it's happening because there's been far too much evidence that it is. I don't need to be a damn fortune-teller. Just being attentive to the signs, and using some common sense.

 

There was far too much evidence that an iPhone nano was happening, as well. My common sense told me it wouldn't, and it didn't. 

 

And I expect at least an apology if you're wrong, as well as many other people on this forum, because I believe we sincerely deserve it after all you've posted about the matter. 

 

Nah.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #64 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post

Tallest Skil, Jonny Ive went to Newcastle Polytechnic (where I went to University) and he would appreciate the idea of some pocketable device having been educated in such a dire environment (pax Geordies!).
Summer in Newcastle, it is believed, exists for few days between the end of the summer University/Polytechnic term/semester and the start of the Autumn/fall one.
Never saw it, even after 6 years there.

Hello fellow alumnus ... I too attended Newcastle for my degrees and beer training .... (hello Gosforth folk club) ... both Uni and Poly, my best mate did the same industrial design course as Jonny although he was into yellow, triangular, vac formed cello bodies ... I have to concur, I never witnessed a summer in Geordie Land. I'd go to Greece or Spain for two weeks and when I returned to Newcastle I was always informed I'd missed summer!
Edited by digitalclips - 8/31/12 at 2:48pm
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #65 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

I've said this to you before so probably you just don't buy it, but ... for those of us that type a lot on our iPads, but don't use external keyboards (not a small group actually), the iPad mini would have a much improved (thumb) typing experience.  

 

My bet is that the iPad mini will mostly be marketed as a lighter more portable version of the regular iPad.  That's the sales point.  

 

Again, for those of us that actually use them day in and day out to get real work done, we will benefit from the lighter, and thinner format.  These two aspects of the design alone are more than enough to sell the iPad mini.  When you add in the fact that it's the perfect "kids iPad" and that it will also be (presumably) a lot cheaper, it will undoubtedly be a bigger seller than the original.  

 

I expect sales to take off like a rocket once it's released.  

     Please don't feed the moderator!  lol.gif

post #66 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

When I hear of even a single purpose for the device that isn't better served as a proper-sized tablet or on a pocketable screen, I'll think about doing that.

I have my own purpose for the iPad mini which you would not be interested in but perhaps there is a purpose for the iPad mini that you might have difficulty in arguing against: They will sell millions of them. How can that be bad for your beloved Apple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's why I don't see the iPad mini being a good product and why I initially didn't believe they'd ever do it (they wouldn't have ever done it under Steve). When Steve said the iPad was an "in-between" product, he wasn't claiming that Apple was going to fill all the perceived "cracks" in a lineup of products. 

Honestly, I don't know why you even attempt to make any rational arguments when this is the crux of your opinion. You should just stick with 'Steve said' because all logic points in another direction to an overwhelming popularity of the upcoming iPad mini. If it does not materialize within the next few months then perhaps you do have your finger on the pulse of Apple. We shall see soon enough because if Apple does not release a competitive device to the Nexus 7 within a few months they will have lost that battle and will have huge problem on their hands in my opinion.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #67 of 120

I myself find it difficult to read things on the iPhone 4 so a 7" tablet would be ideal.  who knows, maybe they'll discontinue the iPod Touch and replace it with a 6 or 7" tablet/iPod.  I always thought the iPod Touch should be a 5" screen anyway so it parts more difference away from an iPhone and adds more value with the bigger screen.  Kill two birds with one stone.  Do I think Apple would do that, nope I don't.  

post #68 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

     Please don't feed the moderator!  lol.gif

There is only one?
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #69 of 120
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
Honestly, I don't know why you even attempt to make any rational arguments when this is the crux of your opinion. You should just stick with 'Steve said' because all logic points in another direction to an overwhelming popularity of the upcoming iPad mini. If it does not materialize within the next few months then perhaps you do have your finger on the pulse of Apple. We shall see soon enough because if Apple does not release a competitive device to the Nexus 7 within a few months they will have lost that battle and will have huge problem on their hands in my opinion.

 

Of course. Mhmm.


Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post
There is only one?

 

Only one they hate, at least.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #70 of 120

On general principles, I agree with Tallest Skil on the iPad mini, although I would not necessarily agree with a few of his points. I would suggest that there is more sense in a larger iPod touch, with a screen size about 6" diag. It would still fit trouser pockets, and be comfortable in jacket pockets. I would also look to a lessened stricture against "pens" in that there is a substantial group of users for whom such would be highly desirable, such as artists and scribblers. It would also benefit those with physical infirmities for whom finger poking is difficult.

 

Cheers

post #71 of 120

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

considering how large cell phones have been in the past I don't see that as impossible. Certainly people would look funny with a 7" iPad held to their heads. How ever this is a new age we have other choices like ear buds, and Bluetooth devices.

 

Many use skype on the ipad.  There must be some sort of utility in it...

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #72 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Kuo's note issued Friday also claimed that Apple plans to update its current iPad with Retina display this fall,

 

Perhaps I'm confused, but doesn't the current iPad already have Retina?

post #73 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTMP View Post

 

Perhaps I'm confused, but doesn't the current iPad already have Retina?

Good catch. I think that was meant to say 'update to the mini dock connector'.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #74 of 120
Originally Posted by LTMP View Post
Perhaps I'm confused, but doesn't the current iPad already have Retina?

 

That sentence is a little ambiguous, but it's saying that the current iPad that happens to have a retina display is also rumored to get an update this fall.

 

I think that's nonsense, since the only reason for the rumor is the belief that all iDevices are getting Dock Connector 2 at the same time, but that's me.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #75 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Only one they hate, at least.
Aawwww . ...
post #76 of 120

I don't really get the point of an "iPad Mini" myself.  Without seeing the actual device though, I think it would be too wide to fit in any pocket outside of a large coat pocket (and even then it would have to be a very large coat pocket), especially with the added bulk of most cases out there (outside of something like a smart cover).  I guess it would probably fit in a man-purse or large hand-bag, but when you approach screen sizes larger than the largest cell phones, I think putting it in a pocket is out the window.  At that point you would either carry it or put it in a back-pack/laptop case, which you would do with a regular iPad anyway.  So the only reasons I see for a Mini are: 1) Price, it they come in around $250, and 2) to have a dog in the 7 inch Android arena.  I personally would rather save up the extra $150 for a generation old iPad, but that's me.  It's not going to bother me if they do come out with one, just curious why.  I would rather they come out with a larger (wider and taller) phone.  With all of the voice-recognition, face-time, and blue-tooth functionality, the iPhone does not need to be that small and narrow for complete one-hand operation anymore.  Don't get me wrong, I don't want it to approach Galaxy Note dimensions, but a little wider and taller wouldn't hurt.  Just my $0.02.

post #77 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

I don't really get the point of an "iPad Mini" myself.  

There are as many reason to own one as not to own one. I will definitely buy one as long as it has cellular. Without that I agree with you there is no point. The 10 inch iPad is too big to comfortably put in a day pack along with lunch and other items. There is just something entirely awkward with that large device in a small pack. Sure it fits, just barely, but certainly not conveniently. It is also too big to use in a crowded mass transit situation. A mini iPad does not replace a regular iPad, but is simply an alternative in certain situations. I have never taken my iPad on my commute however I imagine I will take the iPad mini with me everyday.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #78 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That sentence is a little ambiguous, but it's saying that the current iPad that happens to have a retina display is also rumored to get an update this fall.

I think that's nonsense, since the only reason for the rumor is the belief that all iDevices are getting Dock Connector 2 at the same time, but that's me.

I could see an iPad with the new connector, more memory, the rumored A6 processor, a bit thinner, with better battery life. But really, how much more could they change it? Software is where the real room for innovation is.

Based on typical rumors and timeframes, I wouldn't expect that prior to early 2013.
post #79 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

There are as many reason to own one as not to own one. I will definitely buy one as long as it has cellular. Without that I agree with you there is no point. The 10 inch iPad is too big to comfortably put in a day pack along with lunch and other items. There is just something entirely awkward with that large device in a small pack. Sure it fits, just barely, but certainly not conveniently. It is also too big to use in a crowded mass transit situation. A mini iPad does not replace a regular iPad, but is simply an alternative in certain situations. I have never taken my iPad on my commute however I imagine I will take the iPad mini with me everyday.

 

Just curious, but what type of pack are you referring to size wise?  The only ones I am familiar with are the shoulder bags (purses, laptop cases etc), and backpacks which are much larger than the iPad itself.  I don't use mass transit such as a train, but they seem fine on a bus. However, if you are cramped for space, then smaller would be better I guess, and if you are used to reading on an iPhone, then a Mini would definitely help in that regard.  Regarding cellular, are you referring to phone capabilities, internet or both?  If I had a Kindle or Nook e-reader, perhaps I could better understand how people transport them and get the appeal of a smaller device.  Either way, if they make one, they make one.  Nothing to get bent out of shape over.  The only downside I see is all of the Nexus 7, and Kindle Fire fans trying to turn this into some sort of "Apple is scared" b.s. because they relented on the size.  No skin off of Apple's nose financially, but as tiresome to read as the whole notification shade comments.

post #80 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

 

This is an Apple forum. Both Windows and Android are cheap, knockoff OS'es that are liked and used by people who are aesthetically challenged, and in the case of Android, that very often includes economically challenged people too.

Regadles of what you use, you seem to be mentally challenged. Since you see everything so 'challenging'.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • 'iPad mini' will be challengingly thin thanks to 'GF2' technology
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › 'iPad mini' will be challengingly thin thanks to 'GF2' technology