or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › 'iPad mini' will be challengingly thin thanks to 'GF2' technology

'iPad mini' will be challengingly thin thanks to 'GF2' technology - Page 3

post #81 of 120

The iPad ecosystem is maturing rapidly. For this reason I believe that whereas there probably wasn't such a strong argument in favour of a 7" device at the time that Steve made his comments on the subject, there probably is now. An example of this maturing and one quite suited to either the current size or a smaller iPad is this (I'm not connected to these guys by the way):

http://www.oscium.com

Great stuff.

All the best.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #82 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What a silly argument.
They currently sell 2 different sized iMacs (with substantial configurability).
They currently sell 2 different sized MacBook Airs.
They currently sell 3 different sized MacBook Pros (more if you count the retina displays as different devices).
They currently sell 4 different sizes of iPods.
How do you conclude from those facts that they could only sell one size of iPad?

Indeed. I think that as far as the iPad is concerned, it is not so much a question of size than versatility. I mean the existing iPad is probably the best compromise for a multi purpose device,  but that does not mean more specialized devices, with a different form factor, can find their way (eg as a Book reader). If I were an Apple competitor, that would be my strategy.

Now, there are various interesting arguments and counter arguments about multipurpose devices (the best counter argument is the Swiss knife, which nobody actually uses, as everybody knows...).

However, it is difficult to imagine somebody walking around carrying an iPod + an iPhone + an iPad + a MBA (or anything "equivalent" from Apple competitors (if you believe such things can exist ...).

post #83 of 120
I would use the device to replace my phone for sure! Use Bluetooth to talk.
post #84 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

The iPad ecosystem is maturing rapidly. For this reason I believe that whereas there probably wasn't such a strong argument in favour of a 7" device at the time that Steve made his comments on the subject, there probably is now. An example of this maturing and one quite suited to either the current size or a smaller iPad is this (I'm not connected to these guys by the way):

http://www.oscium.com

Great stuff.

All the best.

This is very interesting, connecting things directly into the Pad this way. I am imagining the universe of sensing and control that this opens up. A maturing ecosystem indeed.

The keyboardless all-screen portable computer, otherwise known as the tablet, has many appetites and capabilities hidden within it that weren't visible when it first appeared.

Making the package smaller and lighter will reveal others. A media revolution is happening right before our eyes.
post #85 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

Just curious, but what type of pack are you referring to size wise?  The only ones I am familiar with are the shoulder bags (purses, laptop cases etc), and backpacks which are much larger than the iPad itself.  I don't use mass transit such as a train, but they seem fine on a bus. However, if you are cramped for space, then smaller would be better I guess, and if you are used to reading on an iPhone, then a Mini would definitely help in that regard.  Regarding cellular, are you referring to phone capabilities, internet or both?  If I had a Kindle or Nook e-reader, perhaps I could better understand how people transport them and get the appeal of a smaller device.  Either way, if they make one, they make one.  Nothing to get bent out of shape over.  The only downside I see is all of the Nexus 7, and Kindle Fire fans trying to turn this into some sort of "Apple is scared" b.s. because they relented on the size.  No skin off of Apple's nose financially, but as tiresome to read as the whole notification shade comments.

I use a shoulder pack but it is narrow. Although technically large enough to to fit the iPad it does not do it conveniently. I want something that goes in the front pocket so it can be easily stowed in a moment. In order to carry the regular iPad it has to be placed into the main compartment of the back pack and then other items such as drinks, sandwich, snack and papers would go in on top (imagine loading the pack while it is laying down) Once you are in transit, you cannot remove the iPad without upsetting the rest of the contents making virtually impossible to put it back in the pack without removing everything else first. Very awkward for mass transit as you can probably imagine. A smaller iPad would go in the front compartment of the pack by itself, which would make it quickly accessible.

In terms of cellular, I am simply referring to the same service I have now which is data only. I still plan to carry my iPhone. Even though that sounds redundant I enjoy being able to use the smartphone features during the times that I'm not commuting and of course that is my main voice call device.

As I said there are many different reasons people would want an iPad mini. I'm probably not that typical as I already have an iPhone and an iPad. For me, the mini would be used pretty much exclusively for commuting although occasionally for work as I write a lot of web code and it would be another way to check the usability of the code on iOS while at the office. I currently do that check with just my iPhone although I have noticed in some instances the browser behavior is slightly different between the iPhone and iPad so it would be nice to have that extra data point. I can also imagine using it for casual browsing while eating lunch outdoors during the work week. I don't like browsing on an iPhone except for quick information retrieval. I think the iPad mini would be much more relaxing to use for an extended period of time. Overall, I just think it would be a great addition to my iOS family of devices.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #86 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by paxman View Post
Embrace it, even if it's not for you.

When I hear of even a single purpose for the device that isn't better served as a proper-sized tablet or on a pocketable screen, I'll think about doing that.

Since you're getting bashed for this post, I may as well chime in...

One thing in your post that raises the hairs on the back of my neck is the use of  "proper-sized"  --  like fingernails on a blackboard... bad memories.   It is similar to many posts when the iPad first came out, where they said it would be useless without a "proper OS".

As there are different OSes better suited to different tasks, there, likely, are different sizes suited to different uses or needs.   If a given device's OS and size suit a given buyer's needs -- who are you, or me, to assert that this is not proper?

Actually, it is an improper use of proper!

In a month, or so, we will see (again) how a "proper OS" works on a tablet with Windows 8.  From what I read and seen, it will be an "also ran".

proper |ˈpräpər|adjectiveattrib. ] truly what something is said or regarded to be; genuine: she's never had a proper job | a proper meal.• postpositive ] strictly so called; in its true form: some of the dos and don'tsin espionage proper.• informal, chiefly Brit.used as an intensifier, often in derogatory contexts:she looked like a proper harlot.attrib. ] of the required type; suitable or appropriate: an artist needs theproper tools | they had not followed the proper procedures.• according to or respecting recognized social standards or conventions;respectable, esp. excessively so: her parents' view of what was proper for awell-bred girl | a very prim and proper Swiss lady.predic. ] (proper tobelonging or relating exclusively or distinctively to; particular to: the two elephant types proper to Africa and to southern Asia.• (of a psalm, lesson, prayer, etc.) appointed for a particular day,occasion, or season.• archaic belonging to oneself or itself; own: to judge with my proper eyes.usu. postpositive ] Heraldry in the natural colors.archaic (of a person) good-looking: he is a proper youth!Mathematics denoting a subset or subgroup that does not constitute the entire set or group, esp. one that has more than one element.

Edited by Dick Applebaum - 9/1/12 at 9:30am
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #87 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

You are beginning to sound like 'the iPad is just a toy / big iPod' brigade from post iPad launch. Embrace it, even if it's not for you.

I don't think it is so much an issue of embracing it, it is realizing that if it isn't for you that doesn't make it a bad product. For many the 7" device will be an ideal product. At the moment I doubt I would buy one for my personal needs but I'd jump at the chance to get one for use at work. Different needs require different devices as such a 7" iPad would be very useful for those with a heavy work schedule and those constantly on the move. The current iPad is just too big for use 8-12 hours a day on a plant floor.

Ya' know...

If the iPad Mini has a good rear-facing camera -- it may be superior, and handier to use, than either the iPhone, iPad, or many point and shoots.

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #88 of 120

And this can't be used in the new iPhone...?confused.gif

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

post #89 of 120
Bigger display screen can mean better frame selection for composition, but not as big as the iPad, which some will find more awkward to use.

In other words, every different aspect of a device's design determines its usefulness differentially when compared with other devices.

There must be an easier way to say it, though.
post #90 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Bigger display screen can mean better frame selection for composition, but not as big as the iPad, which some will find more awkward to use.
In other words, every different aspect of a device's design determines its usefulness differentially when compared with other devices.
There must be an easier way to say it, though.

The peculiar genius of individuality. In subjects, ...in objects.
post #91 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissMac2 View Post

I agree with Tallest Skil when he says there are far more leaks about forthcoming Apple products than there were under Steve Jobs. Clearly it's something that Tim Cook is not so worried about, but he was not at Apple when Microsoft stole its ideas and Apple nearly collapsed. The best way of finding who leaks what to whom is to put out some to select individuals in your company, a different and unreal piece of information to each one, and then see which ones get into the press. You sack the people who leak, and keep the ones who don't. Unless you believe it's all hype for the product...

Ridiculous. There are more leaks because Apple has become a huge company that relies on many third parties to manufacturer its products. It is not possible for Apple to completely protect parts made by these third parties. Apple would have a hard time firing the companies as there aren't many companies capable of making such parts. 

post #92 of 120

OOPS! My Mistake, I thought it was about the iPad Mini, what wanted, needed etc, & not about what he and or she saidlol.gif So what my aging eyes wanted/want is a15" Air! 

"TRAVEL is Fatal to Prejudice,Bigotry,Narrowmindedness"mt

TRY IT!

"TRAVEL is Fatal to Prejudice,Bigotry,Narrowmindedness"mt

TRY IT!

post #93 of 120
For the few on here complaining about the price, I think $300 would sell fine if a few rumors are true.
  1. It is thinner than the competition
  2. It has front and back facing cameras
  3. It is sold to iPhone or iPad users who would rather stay withing the Apple system

All of those items are worthy of a minor price hike (especially the last one) when the competition doesn't have it at a lower price.

The real question is whether this tablet can be held comfortably with one hand, like a note pad (without touching the screen). That has been part of the appeal to the 7" Android tablets. I'm wondering if the iPad Mini is going to have a 4:3 screen ratio like the iPad instead of the 16:9 of the Android tablets and therefore be wider and more difficult to hold comfortably with one hand.

I also think analyst Ming-Chi Kuo was wrong when he said
Quote:
"the iPad mini will be responsible for a major shift in market and industry trends, the most important being new demand for small form factor tablets..."
. The demand is already there and I know a few Apple fans have been hoping for a 7" iPad for over a year now. The shift occurred shortly after Amazon released the Kindle Fire and everyone realized how comfortable that was for reading. Apple is just catching up with everyone else on this one.
post #94 of 120
jragosta 2012/08/31 01:58pm
Tallest Skil wrote:
I'm still hoping that New Apple is just pulling off the greatest hoax of their company's history and weeding out leaks.
Why? How in the world does it affect you if Apple releases a product that you don't want to buy? I really can't stand your constant derision and hatred for things like an iPad Mini, NFC, and even the 'Iphone 5' name. The fact that you don't like something doesn't make it evil.

And why does it bother you to the point you have to post a reply....

[and the next person asks why it bothers me, and so on and so on]
post #95 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelstuff View Post
The real question is whether this tablet can be held comfortably with one hand, like a note pad (without touching the screen). That has been part of the appeal to the 7" Android tablets. I'm wondering if the iPad Mini is going to have a 4:3 screen ratio like the iPad instead of the 16:9 of the Android tablets and therefore be wider and more difficult to hold comfortably with one hand.

The first time I used the original iPad, about a week after it went on sale, I was amazed at how thin and light it was. Looking at photos on it was almost magical, web-browsing a pleasure. My single complaint at the time was it being a bit too large for me personally, requiring two hands to use it. It just wasn't comfortable to hold for any length of time, nor convenient to carry around for the day unless stowed in a backpack or "man-purse".

I commented then that I hoped Apple would offer a slightly smaller version, but it took a couple of years for them to listen to me. 1wink.gif

melior diabolus quem scies
post #96 of 120
Quote:

I'm still hoping that New Apple is just pulling off the greatest hoax of their company's history and weeding out leaks.

If anything would be a result of a doubling down of security, it's all this "confirmed" information about a product that was never going to exist in the first place. Leak one thing to one place, another thing to another. Then fire everyone when something on the list leaks out.

Apple learned that strategy watching "Game of Thrones" on the upcoming Gen. 4 Apple TV.

post #97 of 120
Quote:

That's why I don't see the iPad mini being a good product and why I initially didn't believe they'd ever do it (they wouldn't have ever done it under Steve). 

#46: Steve Jobs would never have allowed Apple to do anything that it has done posthumously.

post #98 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrolan View Post

#46: Steve Jobs would never have allowed Apple to do anything that it has done posthumously.

Unfair...lol.gif

post #99 of 120
Quote:

Epic lol.gif But sounds like the very Steve's way lol.gif

post #100 of 120

Hey, kudos. lol.gif

But given that we have a quotation stating exactly this, I'm pretty sure it's okay to say it.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #101 of 120
Quote:

How could anyone possibly believe the next model will be the "iPhone 5"?

Quote:

I've been saying that this is the year of discontinuation for three years.

That's why I don't see the iPad mini being a good product and why I initially didn't believe they'd ever do it (they wouldn't have ever done it under Steve).

Mmm...strikes me that your track record is on par with many Apple analysts...is that you Gene?  Wait, has Gene been dumb enough yet to pull the "they wouldn't have done it under Steve" line?

There are lots of folks wanting an ipad mini whether due to cost or size or both.  I'm really hoping for a LTE+GPS version.  Small enough to comfortably carry around and even mount but big enough to see.  The iPad mini will fit a booqpad or moleskin case (ipad + paper notepad) much better than the full sized ipad.

http://www.levenger.com/Paper-322/Folios-521/Moleskine---Digital-Folio-for-iPad-Core-8224.aspx?utm_source=GoogleFeed&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=GoogleFeed&utm_content=All&utm_campaign=GoogleFeed&gclid=CKf0n6TylLMCFU-d4Aod6j0A9Q

The current ones are bulky and not just because of the paper pad but because the device is large while an iPhone sized device too small.  A thinner and smaller iPad could allow a folio pad about the size of a normal moleskin pad only with half the pages replaced by the iPad Mini.

So there's two use cases (car GPS and work folio) where a mini ipad is superior to both the full sized ipad and an iphone like device.  There are plenty more (ebook reader, fits better in a purse, gaming tablet, etc).  

post #102 of 120
Originally Posted by nht View Post
Wait, has Gene been dumb enough yet to pull the "they wouldn't have done it under Steve" line?

So Steve himself saying it isn't proof enough for you. Got it.

post #103 of 120
Quote:

So Steve himself saying it isn't proof enough for you. Got it.

Eddie Cue:  "I believe there will be a 7-inch market and we should do one. I expressed this to Steve several times since Thanksgiving and he seemed very receptive the last time."

Jason Calacanis: "He looked at me and said, Jason, nobody wants to watch video on their iPod. I looked at him and I was like, but Steve, I'm telling you I do. He goes, you're just a minority, people don't want to watch video, Jason, you're absolutely wrong. He said it so convincingly that I actually thought I was an idiot..."

Tim Cook: "He would flip on something so fast that you would forget that he was the one taking the 180 degree polar [opposite] position the day before...I saw it daily. This is a gift, because things do change, and it takes courage to change."

Steve Jobs: "It doesn’t matter how good or bad the product is, the fact is that people don’t read anymore...Forty percent of the people in the U.S. read one book or less last year. The whole conception is flawed at the top because people don’t read anymore.”

The whole "Steve would never do 7" tablets" meme has already been debunked multiple times.  The guy was a master at misdirection as well as possessed the important ability to change his mind to fit the facts rather than the other way around.  

Other folks seem stuck defending ideas that have already proven to be wrong *cough*iPhone 5*cough*.

post #104 of 120
Quote:

When I hear of even a single purpose for the device that isn't better served as a proper-sized tablet or on a pocketable screen, I'll think about doing that.

I see that you've reneged on this promise...

post #105 of 120

Any iPad Mini that can be used in a car and use 2 bluetooth headphones at the same time is instantly awesome for road trips. And GF2 technology sounds incredible, so I can't wait till tomorrow.

Edited by Strat09 - 10/22/12 at 12:03pm
post #106 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

This is an Apple forum. Both Windows and Android are cheap, knockoff OS'es that are liked and used by people who are aesthetically challenged, and in the case of Android, that very often includes economically challenged people too.

LOL. Made my day.

post #107 of 120

Eddie Cue:  "I believe there will be a 7-inch market and we should do one. I expressed this to Steve several times since Thanksgiving and he seemed very receptive the last time."

I think I'd trust the guy who said it himself rather than someone else claiming something about him. 

The whole "Steve would never do 7" tablets" meme has already been debunked multiple times.

No, it hasn't. If you want to keep pretending that he was lying for "marketing" purposes, feel free. If you want to pretend Apple didn't do all the testing imaginable when making the iPad to know one way or another, feel free. Now that they're supposedly trying to sell one, we still have them on record saying "this size of tablet is worthless for content; they're just inherently bad", so wait for the spin toward that the other way.

I see that you've reneged on this promise...

Where was one that I missed?

post #108 of 120
Quote:

I think I'd trust the guy who said it himself rather than someone else claiming something about him. 

You think that he's going to lie In a private internal email over something that Jobs could easily dispute?  Right.

Quote:

No, it hasn't. If you want to keep pretending that he was lying for "marketing" purposes, feel free. 

If you want to pretend that Jobs didn't change his mind a lot based on what he learned, feel free.  You have a mighty low opinion of Jobs though, and one disputed by folks that actually knew him.

All accounts indicate that the moment that Steve had information that lead to a different conclusion he fearlessly adopted it even if it was 180 degrees opposite of what he believed before.

Quote:

If you want to pretend Apple didn't do all the testing imaginable when making the iPad to know one way or another, feel free. Now that they're supposedly trying to sell one, we still have them on record saying "this size of tablet is worthless for content; they're just inherently bad", so wait for the spin toward that the other way.

And we have Steve on record stating that no one reads anymore and yet we have iBooks.  I find it humorous that you trust Apple's usability testing when Steve says 7" android tablets will suck but don't trust Apple's HIG that states that 44x44 points is a sufficiently large UI target size for the expected iPad Mini display density.

Pretty much all of Steve's negatives are addressed in the expected mini design.

"the screens on the seven-inch tablets are a bit smaller than the bottom half of the iPad display. This size isn't sufficient to create great tablet apps in our opinion."

The 4:3 iPad mini display is 7.85" and larger than the 16:9 7" tablets.  It is the same 1024x768 resolution as the iPad.

"Well, one could increase the resolution of the display to make up for some of the difference. It is meaningless, unless your tablet also includes sandpaper, so that the user can sand down their fingers to around one quarter of the present size."

The expected iPad mini pixel density is identical to that of the iPhone and UI targets designed for 44x44 points will be the same size on the iPad Mini and the iPhone.  No sandpaper required.  They are not 1/4 the size as on the iPad.  UI's rendered on the iPad are only 19% larger than the same UI rendered on the iPad Mini.

"Third, every tablet user is also a smartphone user...Given that all tablet users will already have a smartphone in their pockets, giving up precious display area to fit a tablet in our pockets is clearly the wrong trade-off. The 7-inch tablets are tweeners, too big to compete with a smartphone and too small to compete with an iPad."

At 1024x768 there is no tradeoff in usable display area.  UI elements and interaction targets will be smaller BUT STILL MEET APPLE HIG REQUIREMENTS.  If they did not then they would also be too small on the iPhone.

While the mini will not be as portable as the iPhone it will be much more portable than the iPad.

"Fourth, almost all of these new tablets use Android software, but even Google is telling the tablet manufacturers not to use their current release, Froyo, for tablets, and to wait for a special tablet release next year. "

Not Android.  Not a problem.

"Fifth, iPad now has over 35,000 apps on the App Store. This new crop of tablets will have near zero."

The iPad Mini will have the same number of apps on the App Store as the iPad 2.  The same as the iPad 3 if it is retina.

And sixth and last, our potential competitors are having a tough time coming close to iPad's pricing, even with their far smaller, far less expensive screens.

The iPad mini will be cheaper than the iPad.

Quote:

Where was one that I missed?

Given that you haven't addressed any of the ones presented in this thread then all of them.

post #109 of 120

…Apple's HIG that states that 44x44 points…

Blah de blah de blah. For heaven's sake, show some examples of what this implies!

There is a pocketable UI, there is a carried UI. Trying to shoehorn a device between that doesn't work. People expect it to work like the pocketed UI (and that's all you see people claiming; it's the same DPI as such and such, the buttons are the same size as such and such), but they're forced to use it like the carried UI. 

post #110 of 120
Quote:

Blah de blah de blah. For heaven's sake, show some examples of what this implies!

Given that I've done this twice here and here in posts you've responded to the only conclusions I can draw is that either that you are too lazy to click on a link and see exactly what "this implies" on your own iPad which makes you willfully ignorant OR you don't actually own an iPad and therefore have no clue what you are talking about.

Quote:
There is a pocketable UI, there is a carried UI. Trying to shoehorn a device between that doesn't work. People expect it to work like the pocketed UI (and that's all you see people claiming; it's the same DPI as such and such, the buttons are the same size as such and such), but they're forced to use it like the carried UI. 

At NO point does anyone claim it will work like a "pocketed UI" because at EVERY point everyone states it has the SAME UI layout as the current iPad.  

The comparison with the iPhone is specifically to show that buttons that you see on the current iPad will be no smaller than if they would be if they were rendered instead on the iPhone because it has the same PPI.  If you weren't so pig headed you'd simply click on the links on your iPad and see exactly how regular iPad apps will look on the iPad mini.

I provided an example textbook to compare.  Seveneightyfive.fscked.com has the main springboard, safari, flipboard, garageband (lock your ipad in portrait mode), pages, tweetbot, calendar, iPhoto and the portrait and landscape (lock in portrait again) keyboards.  Which you would have known if you clicked on any of the links provided in those two posts from the other thread.

All of these apps are usable on the iPad mini without any changes in layout or design.  How many more fricking examples do you bloody need?  

Same for use cases where a smaller iPad works better than the full sized one.   There are four or five in this thread alone and you've not refuted a single one.

post #111 of 120

At NO point does anyone claim it will work like a "pocketed UI" because at EVERY point everyone states it has the SAME UI layout as the current iPad.  

Really? Where you've said "it will have buttons at the same size as the iPhone, just on a larger area screen" isn't claiming it'd work like the pocketable UI?

Same for use cases where a smaller iPad works better than the full sized one.

Which are these, is what I'm asking.

post #112 of 120
Quote:

Really? Where you've said "it will have buttons at the same size as the iPhone, just on a larger area screen" isn't claiming it'd work like the pocketable UI?

No.  I'm getting the serious impression that you don't know what UI means.  There are two (and a half) UI layouts for iOS:  iPhone (+iPhone 5) and iPad.  So the "pocketable" UI is defined by iPhone layout and app style conventions (which widgets to use for certain kinds of data, etc).  How the iPhone "works" is not defined by button sizes.  The iPad mini will not work like a "pocketable UI".  It works just like a regular iPad UI only at 84% the size.

You haven't clicked any links have you?  Do you not own an iPad?

Quote:
Which are these, is what I'm asking.

Do you seriously want me to provide links to posts in the same thread?  Especially since you just ignored a whole slew of examples you just asked for and I provided?

mstone:  commuting tablet that fits in a backpack better

wizard69: smaller ipad on the plant floor

gazoobee:  kids iPad

dick:  handier than the iPad as a camera

me: car GPS and Moleskin iPad

An iPad mini would also work better as a kneeboard or yoke mount than the full sized iPad.  Given the amount of press regarding the use of the iPad EFBs for pilots this isn't some esoteric niche application no one has heard of.

Edited by nht - 10/22/12 at 8:37pm
post #113 of 120
There are two (and a half) UI layouts for iOS:  iPhone (+iPhone 5) and iPad.  So the "pocketable" UI is defined by iPhone layout and app style conventions (which widgets to use for certain kinds of data, etc).

Right, so what's your rebuttal? It's a carried device being used like a pocketed device.

How the iPhone "works" is not defined by button sizes.

Sounds like that's exactly what is happening. Or are you saying that the buttons could be smaller (22x22) or larger (one button visible at once) and it would work the same way?

Do you seriously want me to provide links to posts in the same thread?  Especially since you just ignored a whole slew of examples you just asked for and I provided?

mstone:  commuting tablet that fits in a backpack better

wizard69: smaller ipad on the plant floor

gazoobee:  kids iPad

dick:  handier than the iPad as a camera

me: car GPS and Moleskin iPad

Yes, I thought you had some standouts. Thanks. Can you explain why a slower, smaller tablet is better in these situations? What backpacks are too small for an iPad? Why not replace a clipboard with a device the same size? The hundreds of YouTube videos of their use show the iPad needs to be smaller for kids? And where do you propose this GPS device be placed? Remember, it's huge.

Dick's is really the only one I'm finding myself agreeing with, simply because cameras trend physically smaller for stability. And yes, the best camera is the one you have on you at any given time, but it's a tablet! Its final shape, and how it's able to be held, will determine whether his guess is correct.

post #114 of 120
Quote:

Right, so what's your rebuttal? It's a carried device being used like a pocketed device.

Sounds like that's exactly what is happening. Or are you saying that the buttons could be smaller (22x22) or larger (one button visible at once) and it would work the same way?

You haven't clicked a link yet have you?  Why do you ask for examples if you steadfastly refuse to look at them? 

Or is the problem you don't have an iPad?  

A 22x22 button doesn't meet the HIG.  I am saying that given the entire range of pixel densities for iOS devices that Apple has determined the 44x44 points is an acceptable minimum size for buttons. The iPad Mini is expected to reuse an existing pixel density.  If you want to see what this looks like you should try it on your iPad.

You DO own an iPad right?

Quote:

Yes, I thought you had some standouts. Thanks. Can you explain why a slower, smaller tablet is better in these situations? What backpacks are too small for an iPad? Why not replace a clipboard with a device the same size? The hundreds of YouTube videos of their use show the iPad needs to be smaller for kids? And where do you propose this GPS device be placed? Remember, it's huge.

Dick's is really the only one I'm finding myself agreeing with, simply because cameras trend physically smaller for stability. And yes, the best camera is the one you have on you at any given time, but it's a tablet! Its final shape, and how it's able to be held, will determine whether his guess is correct.

There is no reason to believe it will be slower.  The iPhone 5 is as fast or faster than the iPad 3 in many benchmarks so it's not a size constraint.  If Apple decides to drop a A5X in there it will be the same or faster.  If Apple decides to drop a normal A5 in there it'll be a little slower.

A smaller tablet fits in handbags, backpacks, jackets better than larger tablets.  What needs to be explained here?  

What backpacks are too small?  Did you read his post?  Backpacks WITH OTHER STUFF IN THEM.

Why do iPads need to be smaller for kids?  Because typically MOM carries these tablets in their purses for their kids.  YOU tell your wife to carry a bigger handbag to lug around the iPad vs the Kindle.  That goes over really well.  Do you have kids?  Or a wife?  Hell, do you even have an iPad?

Why replace a clipboard with a device the same size?  Because many of these clipboards are smaller than the iPad so it isn't the same size.  Many are leg width for better pilot mobility without needing to take it off your flight suit.  The electronic kneeboards I used to code for are more kindle width than iPad width.  Do you have legs?  Do you have an iPad?  If the answer is yes to both you can easily see why some pilots would prefer a smaller sized tablet by trying it out.  Especially the ones in more cramped cockpits.

The Mini iPad as a GPS device can be dash mounted more easily than the full sized iPad.  It is not nearly as "huge" as the iPad.  It is...amazingly...around the same size as 7" GPS units like the Magellan RoadMate 1700.  This is the same reason why the iPad mini would be better for yoke mounts in some aircraft than the full sized iPad.

post #115 of 120

There is no reason to believe it will be slower.

Note to self: if it has an A5, it won't be slower than an A6. So why was the A6 even made?

If Apple decides to drop a A5X in there it will be the same or faster.

But they WON'T. It doesn't need it. It has no use for quad-core graphics. Of course the iPhone is faster than the iPad. It's using a newer generation chip.

If Apple decides to drop a normal A5 in there it'll be a little slower.

Wow. Where have I heard something like this before? Oh, yes: 

Originally Posted by nht View Post

There is no reason to believe it will be slower.

post #116 of 120
Quote:

Note to self: if it has an A5, it won't be slower than an A6. So why was the A6 even made?

But they WON'T. It doesn't need it. It has no use for quad-core graphics. Of course the iPhone is faster than the iPad. It's using a newer generation chip.

Wow. Where have I heard something like this before? Oh, yes: 

This is what you choose to comment on in a stupid manner?  You asserted it must be slower than the iPad 3.  There are 2 options where it will not be and only one where it would be.

You don't have an iPad do you? 

post #117 of 120
You asserted it must be slower than the iPad 3.

And using an A5, it will be. 

Hey, it could use an A6. I'd actually prefer that to what I'm thinking it'll be. That would clear the speed issue up immediately.

post #118 of 120
Quote:

And using an A5, it will be. 

Hey, it could use an A6. I'd actually prefer that to what I'm thinking it'll be. That would clear the speed issue up immediately.

That was my point.  The iPad Mini does not NEED to be slower than the iPad 3.  We'll know in an hour.

Again, you failed to answer the very direct: "Do you actually own an iPad" question.  

If not then why do you keep asking for examples you cannot see for a device you never cared enough to own?  Have you been talking out of your ass this whole time?

post #119 of 120

Guess you and melgoss was wrong.  Apps are exactly as they were on the iPad.

"We began with a display that has the same resolution as the ipad 2...so all your apps and content look and work the same way..."

iPad mini video starting 0:39

Are you finally going to buy one TS?

post #120 of 120
Guess you and melgoss was wrong.  Apps are exactly as they were on the iPad.

Nah, we're right. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • 'iPad mini' will be challengingly thin thanks to 'GF2' technology
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › 'iPad mini' will be challengingly thin thanks to 'GF2' technology