or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'iPhone 5' appears to adopt internal design elements from iPhone 3GS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'iPhone 5' appears to adopt internal design elements from iPhone 3GS

post #1 of 32
Thread Starter 
Apple's latest iPhone 5 components appear to be reverting back to some design elements of the iPhone 3GS, albeit with a modern twist.

According to a report by RepairLabs, new photos depicting the iPhone 5's front digitizer and display assembly show metal brackets that "suggest that it will be sitting into a housing, similar to a 3GS, but more updated and modern."

The site observes that "it looks like it has a plastic 3GS-type midframe running around the digitizer and glass LCD assembly," adding, "we notice a striking similarity to a 3GS, with the bottom screws and brackets. We think it?s going to pull open from the front."



The report includes photos that detail bottom screw brackets similar to the design of the iPhone 3GS, surrounding the smaller, 9-pin Dock Connector that has been previously reported.





"From the width of the bracket, we can tell the charger port is indeed going to be smaller because it has to fit between the two silver bottom screw brackets, just like a 3GS," the report adds.

"These pictures suggest that the LCD may pull apart from the Digitizer, given the rivets on the sides. (This is similar again to the 3GS, but a departure from the 4 and 4S.)" The site provides additional photos of the digitizer/display in its report.

Apple is expected to introduce the sixth generation iPhone at a media event in California on September 12th.
post #2 of 32
Bottom Screw Brackets Like 3GS Confirms Smaller Charger Port

 

1. How, inherently?

2. How Do The People That Capitalize Every Word In A Sentence Exist? I mean, sure, titles; that I can understand. But when they type every sentence like that, how do they exist? They're having to hit Shift for every word. Did they learn to write like that? And what books are they reading that do that?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #3 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

1. How, inherently?


because the charge port has to fit in between those two screw brackets.

post #4 of 32

I am going to laugh SOOOO hard if all those pics turn out to be the iPod Touch Gen5 and the iPhone 5 is completely different.

 

Then again - if the only major changes outwardly from iPhone4S to iPhone5 is a bit taller and new charging port (along with bigger screen upgraded internals etc etc) I think I may like it. 

post #5 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I am going to laugh SOOOO hard if all those pics turn out to be the iPod Touch Gen5 and the iPhone 5 is completely different.


I'm going to be laughing so hard if Apple is the one leaking all this false info.

I mean what a brilliant way to get the media thinking these leaks are real by putting 3GS internals in a 4S frame. A cheap way to get people thinking these fakes are real.
post #6 of 32
Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post
because the charge port has to fit in between those two screw brackets.

 

lol.gif Yes. But… 

 

…I'll just leave it at that. Yours is probably the best response.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #7 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post


I'm going to be laughing so hard if Apple is the one leaking all this false info.
I mean what a brilliant way to get the media thinking these leaks are real by putting 3GS internals in a 4S frame. A cheap way to get people thinking these fakes are real.

 

i'm going to laugh when you are wrong and the iphone is exactly this (which i expect)

post #8 of 32
This is one change I can believe.

The front glass is the more annoying break that the back and yet they replace the whole unit. Going back to a front piece that can be replaced is better for the customer. Although how that will work with Apple Care + I don't know. I suppose that would be for liquid or major drops hen the insides could be borked. Or maybe replacing the front still counts as 'an incident' and you pay the $49 not something like $99

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #9 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

i'm going to laugh when you are wrong and the iphone is exactly this (which i expect)
That's a possibility.

I don't mind the new design but I still don't feel it's a cohesive design.

Anyway it's the features it has that's going to make or break it.
post #10 of 32

"reverting back" is like saying something is unnecessarily redundant.....

 

;-)

post #11 of 32
Would be easier for me to replace the glass
For sure but I hope it doesn't accumulate dirt
In between the glass and LCD.
Or didn't I also read where it's going to be some
Kind of a new glass & display to make it thinner?
Whatever, I just hope it doesn't get dirt under the glass.
post #12 of 32

Makes total sense, iPhone design is split between two teams. each delivering a tock and a tick release. So elements of design from the 3G/3GS will filter through.

 

iPhone - Team A

iPhone 3G/3GS - Team B

iPhone 4/CDMA/S4 - Team A

iPhone 5/Next Model - Team B

 

Team A & B both worked on iPhone & 3G shells at the same time to see which would win out for the first release. iPhone was then followed by 3G 10 months later.

Whilst Team B delivered the 3GS, Team A worked on the iPhone 4 chassis.

Team A then delivered CDMA & the 4S whilst Team B were working on What we'll see in Sept.

post #13 of 32

Your theory actually makes sense.

post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by daMoog View Post

Makes total sense, iPhone design is split between two teams. each delivering a tock and a tick release. So elements of design from the 3G/3GS will filter through.

 

iPhone - Team A

iPhone 3G/3GS - Team B

iPhone 4/CDMA/S4 - Team A

iPhone 5/Next Model - Team B

 

Team A & B both worked on iPhone & 3G shells at the same time to see which would win out for the first release. iPhone was then followed by 3G 10 months later.

Whilst Team B delivered the 3GS, Team A worked on the iPhone 4 chassis.

Team A then delivered CDMA & the 4S whilst Team B were working on What we'll see in Sept.

 

This makes no sense to me.  I think you are just making this up and inadvertently presenting it as fact because you don't know how to write english sentences properly or clearly.  Please point to the source that indicates Apple designs it's phones with two separate teams, handing the design off every year to the opposite team.  

post #15 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

This makes no sense to me.  I think you are just making this up and inadvertently presenting it as fact because you don't know how to write english sentences properly or clearly.  Please point to the source that indicates Apple designs it's phones with two separate teams, handing the design off every year to the opposite team.  

 

You can't disprove it!

 

/God theory.

post #16 of 32

I believe the new iPhone’s glass face will stick out beyond the metal band. A plastic lip or edge, that holds the glass, much like the current iPhones sticks out in front (and back). I don’t like that, but I know I’ll get used to it.

 

It will still be thinner than current iPhones: the front won’t stick out AS much, and back won’t stick out at all (it’s a single flush piece).

 

We’ve see photos/videos that make the new screen SEEM to be set in flush with the metal band. But if you look closely at the side views, we’re seeing the metal band without ANY screen installed. The part that sticks out is simply not present in the photos. That leads people to think the new iPhone will be thinner than it really will be. In reality, I believe the front won’t quite “match” the back, because the front will have a (slightly) protruding face while the back will be totally flat/flush.

 

Here is the clearest photo showing the lip that sticks out. Look at the white plastic that holds the glass (and AI’s article shows the same plastic element—in black):

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=355303&d=1346429159

 

See the “wall” that sticks up all the way around? Much like the iPhone 4, only smaller and more subtle (and only in front, not in back).

 

I was kind of hoping that plastic frame could be pushed lower and become flush with the metal, but this video (at 15 seconds) clearly shows the “shelf” around the inner edge, where the face assembly must rest. Way too shallow to hide that whole plastic frame in the white photo. So I’m convinced the frame will stick out a bit beyond the metal.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyOqeDfJueM

 

That video also SEEMS to show the glass flush with the metal—but that’s because they are missing a layer: the plastic that holds the glass isn’t there. Add the plastic, and it will all stick out. (I’d also guess that the glass in that video has a bit of wiggle where it rests, due to the tiny surrounding gap for the missing plastic lip.)

 

Final exhibit: look at the right-hand corner here, by the lens flare:

 

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=355300&d=1346427179

 

You can see the edge of the iPhone 4 style lip sticking up. But at least it’s small!

post #17 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by daMoog View Post

Makes total sense, iPhone design is split between two teams. each delivering a tock and a tick release. So elements of design from the 3G/3GS will filter through.

 

iPhone - Team A

iPhone 3G/3GS - Team B

iPhone 4/CDMA/S4 - Team A

iPhone 5/Next Model - Team B

 

Team A & B both worked on iPhone & 3G shells at the same time to see which would win out for the first release. iPhone was then followed by 3G 10 months later.

Whilst Team B delivered the 3GS, Team A worked on the iPhone 4 chassis.

Team A then delivered CDMA & the 4S whilst Team B were working on What we'll see in Sept.

 

Uh, No. Just no. 

post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by daMoog View Post

Makes total sense, iPhone design is split between two teams. each delivering a tock and a tick release. So elements of design from the 3G/3GS will filter through.

 

iPhone - Team A

iPhone 3G/3GS - Team B

iPhone 4/CDMA/S4 - Team A

iPhone 5/Next Model - Team B

 

Team A & B both worked on iPhone & 3G shells at the same time to see which would win out for the first release. iPhone was then followed by 3G 10 months later.

Whilst Team B delivered the 3GS, Team A worked on the iPhone 4 chassis.

Team A then delivered CDMA & the 4S whilst Team B were working on What we'll see in Sept.


This sort of makes sense. But there's a hole.

 

The next model adopts the external antenna design from iP4 and iP4S. It stands to reason to adopt the internals too from those two design generations unless there is a reason not to, and it should be strong reason than mating one team's internal design with the second team's external design.

post #19 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimk69 View Post

Would be easier for me to replace the glass
For sure but I hope it doesn't accumulate dirt
In between the glass and LCD.
Or didn't I also read where it's going to be some
Kind of a new glass & display to make it thinner?
Whatever, I just hope it doesn't get dirt under the glass.

I read this as a poem.

When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
post #20 of 32
Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post
I read this as a poem.

 

LTE and faster, too.

6th iPhone is coming soon!
Burma-Shave.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #21 of 32

The iPhone 3G5S.

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

1. How, inherently?

2. How Do The People That Capitalize Every Word In A Sentence Exist? I mean, sure, titles; that I can understand. But when they type every sentence like that, how do they exist? They're having to hit Shift for every word. Did they learn to write like that? And what books are they reading that do that?

Its the official Chinese way of spelling.  They want to EMPHAsize the very meaning of every word.  Isn't chinese calligraphy capitalized on all title words.

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #23 of 32
Seeing the Home Button i wonder if apple ever engineered into a better Home Button. The amount of Home Button complaint is ridiculously high.
post #24 of 32
Originally Posted by ksec View Post
Seeing the Home Button i wonder if apple ever engineered into a better Home Button. The amount of Home Button complaint is ridiculously high.

 

That's because people don't take care of their possessions. Get dirt under the button, of course it's going to break. Same with any keyboard key. The only way to fix that is with a touchscreen keyboard, but you can't take away the Home Button without redesigning the primary UX of the phone. 

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This makes no sense to me.  I think you are just making this up and inadvertently presenting it as fact because you don't know how to write english sentences properly or clearly.  Please point to the source that indicates Apple designs it's phones with two separate teams, handing the design off every year to the opposite team.  

As a grammar nazi, you should be well aware of the difference between "its" and "it's".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This makes no sense to me.  I think you are just making this up and inadvertently presenting it as fact because you don't know how to write english sentences properly or clearly.  Please point to the source that indicates Apple designs it's phones with two separate teams, handing the design off every year to the opposite team.  

You can't disprove it!

/God theory.

He doesn't need to, the burden of proof lies on the one making charges. Things don't exist until proven otherwise. daMoog is stating something as fact without providing any evidence to support it, there is no reason for anyone else to accept his conclusion because as far as we can tell, at this moment it relies on a baseless belief.
post #26 of 32
Edit: Referring to Tallest Skil's suggestion that it can be dirt under the button:

That, and maybe pushing the button too hard habitually.

iPad I still going strong with daily use of several hours since the day they came out, knock on wood. The battery is getting a bit shallow, though.
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

daMoog is stating something as fact without providing any evidence to support it, there is no reason for anyone else to accept his conclusion because as far as we can tell, at this moment it relies on a baseless belief.

And it makes no sense besides to fragment the design process instead of consolidating the experience over several generations of production.
post #28 of 32

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the massive problem of dust getting in between the screen and digitizer, the 3GS had.  I sincerely hope this isn't the case and the 'updates' listed in the article will prevent this from happening in the 6th gen iPhone.

post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Edit: Referring to Tallest Skil's suggestion that it can be dirt under the button:
That, and maybe pushing the button too hard habitually.
iPad I still going strong with daily use of several hours since the day they came out, knock on wood. The battery is getting a bit shallow, though.

My concern about Home Button longevity has led me to use the iPad gestures for getting to the home screen and switching apps instead of the button, since I won't be getting a subsidized upgrade every two years. If you you don't know, put all five fingers on the screen and push up for the running apps, or pull them all together (like a giant pinch to zoom) to get to the home screen.

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

Reply

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

Reply
post #30 of 32
Originally Posted by LarryA View Post
If you you don't know, put all five fingers on the screen and push up for the running apps, or pull them all together (like a giant pinch to zoom) to get to the home screen.

 

Oh, I've used those on my iPad exclusively since they first came out. They're great. Four finger swiping left and right moves between apps, as well. With the boinging effect if you're at either end of the line (there's a bug in 5.1.1 that they'll never ever fix where if you close an app in the Multitasking Bar while not on the Sprinbgoard, that app doesn't actually close and you can still swipe over to that app). 

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #31 of 32

"The iPhone 5"

 

?

 

 

What did you just say?

 

EDIT: h, it's DED, so whatever.

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply
post #32 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post


That's a possibility.
I don't mind the new design but I still don't feel it's a cohesive design.
Anyway it's the features it has that's going to make or break it.

 

 

Cohesive design? How so? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'iPhone 5' appears to adopt internal design elements from iPhone 3GS