or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple adds Samsung's flagship Galaxy S III, Galaxy Note to amended 'Galaxy Nexus' complaint

Apple adds Samsung's flagship Galaxy S III, Galaxy Note to amended 'Galaxy Nexus' complaint - Page 7

post #241 of 326
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post
Tim Cook's smile is so convincing.  Doesn't look like it's forced one little bit.

He's far better at frownsmiling. Subconsciously, he defaults to it.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #242 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminjayz View Post

apple just love sueing people

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2011/10/26/german-family-owned-cafe-battles-apple-over-logo-dispute/

thats the way the americans live , sue anyone and everyone

even apple fans not happy

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1245890_Apple_upset_over_a_German_woman_s_use_of_an_apple_in_her_cafe_s_logo.html

You know, if I were you, I'd be far more concerned about how your employer is bringing shame to your country around the world, with its ridiculous behavior.

Go away. Worry about things that should really matter to you.
post #243 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Find it as offensive as you want. The American companies aren't stealing IP from the South Korean companies. And, please, let's not pretend that South Korea hasn't benefited enormously from American blood and money, that's offensive. Not rather offensive, disgustingly offensive, sickeningly offensive.

I see a few problems with your statement:

1. "American companies aren't stealing IP from South Korean companies" --> This is a very wide statement that could not possibly be true.

2. "Let's not pretend that South Korea hasn't benefited enormously from American blood and money" --> I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Much of the benefits you mention I'm assuming are related to outsourced American jobs, but this happened as a consequence of American domestic policies encouraging it as a way of driving up profits. Blaming South Korea for benefiting makes no sense.

3. Are we now just equating South Korea with Samsung? If that is the case, then we might as well just equate America with Wal-Mart, a company that has plenty of well known dirty practices.

I think the $1.05 billion win was deserved (perhaps excessive, but I'm willing to give the US court system the benefit of the doubt in that that number roughly portrays Apple's losses as a consequence of Samsung's actions), but in adding the S3 and Galaxy Note Tab, they're over-extending. This case is far from over, as appeals are still on the way and in the upper courts from here on out, juries are not used. The original Galaxy S and S2 variants are very noticeably similar to Apple's designs, both inside and out, but the S3 and Galaxy Note Tab are a whole different beast. I sincerely hope that Apple's lawyers actually have a well thought out plan, and not just acting on hubris derived from winning case after case.

post #244 of 326
In thermonuclear war, the endgame isn’t compromise; it’s annihilation.
post #245 of 326

I'm not sure why there's so much turmoil over the U.S. verdict. The money matters to none of the parties involved. With minor adjustments any sales ban will be circumvented and, in the end, the U.S. court system may be the only one that leans Apple's way. After those minor adjustments are implemented it'll be business as usual for Samsung and they'll continue selling many millions of devices. I don't know that anyone realizes this yet, but Samsung has become part of the pop electronics culture every bit as much as Apple now (helped in no small part by the lawsuits). Ask yourselves this: Has Samsung had a banner year because it's OS borrows some of iOS's features (which they've done from the start) or have their suddenly monstrous sales been driven by what they offer that Apple doesn't? If it winds up being about all those extra features, with a few minor OS adjustments, they'll keep giving Apple a run for it's money.

*edit* I wonder how Samsung's future LTE suit against Apple will fare. I doubt it'd get much traction in the U.S. but, if the U.K. verdict is any indicator, there may be some animosity toward Apple in foreign courts.  I honestly don't believe these suits are going to benefit Apple in the long run.

Edited by Dvoraak - 9/2/12 at 8:53am
post #246 of 326
Originally Posted by Dvoraak View Post
I don't know that anyone realizes this yet, but Samsung has become part of the pop electronics culture every bit as much as Apple now (helped in no small part by the lawsuits).

We don't realize it because it isn't the case.

Ask yourselves this: Has Samsung had a banner year because it's OS borrows some of iOS's features (which they've done from the start) or have their suddenly monstrous sales been driven by what they offer that Apple doesn't?

The former. They copy Apple as close as possible, closer than possible, actually, because they were found to be doing it illegally, and their corner-cutting on quality/cost is why their products are selling well.

post #247 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post

In thermonuclear war, the endgame isn’t compromise; it’s annihilation.

Not necessarily:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086567/
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #248 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

We don't realize it because it isn't the case.

The former. They copy Apple as close as possible, closer than possible, actually, because they were found to be doing it illegally, and their corner-cutting on quality/cost is why their products are selling well.

No. They dominate the smartphone market in general because of so many cheap devices but the Galaxy S3 and the Note aren't budget devices at all. I believe they're at 60 million units between them now. It's a little suspicious that their copying didn't really pay off until the S3 was released and 50 million people proved they were willing to pay top dollar for an Android device and another 10 million surprised everyone by making the Note phablet a success (also paying top dollar).

post #249 of 326
No. They dominate the smartphone market in general because of so many cheap devices but the Galaxy S3 and the Note aren't budget devices at all. I believe they're at 60 million units between them now. It's a little suspicious that their copying didn't really pay off until the S3 was released and 50 million people proved they were willing to pay top dollar for an Android device and another 10 million surprised everyone by making the Note phablet a success (also paying top dollar).

It's a little suspicious the numbers when they were proven to have lied about all their previous models' numbers.

post #250 of 326

Not to hold anyone's candle, but a few responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckVader View Post

1. "American companies aren't stealing IP from South Korean companies" --> This is a very wide statement that could not possibly be true.

I think he means that in a general, not in the literal, sense, i.e., well-known technologies/products/services of well-known companies. If you have a serious counter-example, feel free to provide it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckVader View Post

2. "Let's not pretend that South Korea hasn't benefited enormously from American blood and money" --> I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Much of the benefits you mention I'm assuming are related to outsourced American jobs, but this happened as a consequence of American domestic policies encouraging it as a way of driving up profits. Blaming South Korea for benefiting makes no sense.

I think you need to school yourself on some minor matters of 20th cent. history and geopolitics.

Quote:

3. Are we now just equating South Korea with Samsung? If that is the case, then we might as well just equate America with Wal-Mart, a company that has plenty of well known dirty practices.

I think he means Samsung as a metaphor (as Walmart would, indeed, be for the US).

Quote:

I think the $1.05 billion win was deserved (perhaps excessive, but I'm willing to give the US court system the benefit of the doubt in that that number roughly portrays Apple's losses as a consequence of Samsung's actions), but in adding the S3 and Galaxy Note Tab, they're over-extending. This case is far from over, as appeals are still on the way and in the upper courts from here on out, juries are not used. The original Galaxy S and S2 variants are very noticeably similar to Apple's designs, both inside and out, but the S3 and Galaxy Note Tab are a whole different beast. I sincerely hope that Apple's lawyers actually have a well thought out plan, and not just acting on hubris derived from winning case after case.

Uh-uh. The jury found 'willful' infringement. As a result, many would argue that the amount in question was not just well-deserved, but will be tripled by Ms. Koh. 

As to the rest of that para: thanks for your legal advice. I doubt that you need to lose any sleep over whether Apple's lawyers have a "well thought out plan."

post #251 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

What?

As the owner of a both a Galaxy SIII and a 'current generation' iPod Touch I can only draw one of 3 conclusions from your little 'claim':

01) You Do Not Own Both Devices, therefore you've have never made any such comparisons of the two devices.

02) You Simply Have No Idea of What You Speak, therefore unable to properly discern the differences between the devices.

03) You Are Lying (or at the very least blind), given that the devices in question are of different shapes, aspect-ratios, sizes, colors, substrate/material construction, UI look/configuration, et al.

Anyway... It's going to be quite interesting WHEN Apple's little sue-rage gets to the higher courts and these nonsensical 'patents' are invalidated.

Apple is not suing on the differences but on the specific similarities that are protected by Apple's patents. What's so hard to understand? 

post #252 of 326
Quote:

It's a little suspicious the numbers when they were proven to have lied about all their previous models' numbers.

Well I see that the fandroids aren't the only ones prone to anecdotal rebuttals.

post #253 of 326
Well I see that the fandroids aren't the only ones prone to anecdotal rebuttals.

Is there a third-party marketshare scraper that shows they're not lying?

post #254 of 326
Quote:

No. They dominate the smartphone market in general because of so many cheap devices but the Galaxy S3 and the Note aren't budget devices at all. I believe they're at 60 million units between them now. I

Obviously, that's the number they use when they're trying to convince analysts of how great their sales are. When asked to produce actual sales figures to allocate royalty payments, the numbers are much smaller.

Wonder why?
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #255 of 326
Quote:

Is there a third-party marketshare scraper that shows they're not lying?

*egg on face*

Oops.... Apparently I have a faulty memory. Only took a few seconds to find it's the cumulative S and Sll that hit 50 million. As for lying, I've not seen any reports that say they've lied in the past.

The next few months will be interesting. Seriously, there's no way a sales ban lasts long on the software side of things (it's too easy to update the firmware) and I doubt the form factor can withstand further tests in court. In the end, there's many more days left in court and even if they get everything they want in the U.S..... that doesn't mean there won't be backlash elsewhere. The U.K. verdict blew me away. That judge had a grudge.

post #256 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckVader View Post

I see a few problems with your statement...

I see a few problems with your statement, mostly based on the fact you have no idea what you are commenting on. Either inform yourself of context, or don't bother saying anything. That goes for life in general, as well as this forum.

post #257 of 326

You know what, I love Macs. I have used them since the early 90s, and work with them every day and use them every night.

iPhones too. I aspired to own an iPhone but couldn't justify one until last year, when I finally got myself an iPhone 4.

I even convinced my brother to dump his Galaxy S2 and get a 4s when it came out, and entiher of us are unhappy with that choice.

I own an iPad, and have extolled its virtues to anyone who will listen, and use it for virtually anything that doesnt need a big screen to do. My 5 year old iMac 24" survived a couple of years longer as a result of me not needing it so much for general internet browsing as a result of this!

It does, however, make me unconfortable to read all these negative headlines in the general press about Apple and their litigiousness of late.

While I support their need to protect their uniqueness, and cant understand how anybody else cant see that Samsung quite clearly are using Apple as their template for success in the smartphone business, I do feel that there is, at least in the technology industry, and amongst more tech savvy consumers, an image of 'Apple is Evil'. 

I know that they arent trying to dominate the market by patent litigation, and are quite happy to see other scompeting on a fair and even playing feild, but right now I feel Samsung has the mindshare. 

The oft repeated "Patenting rounded rectangles'" keeps being thrown up in discussions, despite it never actually being about that. Or the "They dont want any competition" argument, which holds no ground to anyone who actually followed the case with any degree of open mindedness.

That said, I sit here contemplating my next computer and Smartphone purchase.

Samsung have, in my eyes, designed some extremely tempting products. The Galaxy Note 2 in particular has me salivating at the prospects of having a mini tablet that does everything I want and more.

As for my computer, I can no longer justify the Apple Premium, and instead am looking to buy a Windows machine instead.

I come to this forum to see a multitude of people polarized on either side. Why cant anyone ever be in the middle gorund?

post #258 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

But, As I can remember correctly, back in the mid 90's, there was a search engine introduced by the DEC [now part of HPQ] called AltaVista. It was my go-to site for searching the web at the time. This search engine predated even Apple's Sherlock by at least two years because it was going online in the late 1995. It was later acquired by Yahoo. "At launch, the service had two innovations which set it ahead of the other search engines: it used a fast, multi-threaded crawler (Scooter) which could cover many more Web pages than were believed to exist at the time and an efficient search running back-end on advanced hardware." 

Interesting historical information to be sure, but, I don't see how your preface of 'But,' fits your reply at all. Normally, 'but' indicates some sort of contradiction of what precedes it. But, your post doesn't in any way contradict the quoted post's historically correct assertion that Sherlock provided a unified local computer and internet search function years ago. Alta Vista didn't provide that functionality, it was just another web search engine.

post #259 of 326

I am completely fed up with Apple's behavior.  Five, six years ago, we had a company that was in a serious spurt of innovation, doing things like for the first time making sure software developers had the proper tools to economically develop applications for smartphones, and aggressively pushing Intel Core processors into the marketplace, while still maintaining a very high quality standard with Mac OS X.  We now have a patent trolling company that funds R&D at a notably low rate compared to other tech firms, has allowed the quality control in Mac OS X to go to seed, and would rather spend its cash pile on lawyers.  Even the Apple Stores are no longer a benefit for the company, with Tim Cook apparently having decided to turn them into a cheap-and-nasty stand-alone retail chain (evidenced by the importation of Dixon's executives from England) rather than a glowing shop window and point of customer contact for Apple as a whole.

I'm also tired of the Apple accusations against Android.  I have used Apple computers for 20 years, out of preference -- but as the software quality control declines, it is trying my patience, despite the obvious superiority of the hardware at the moment.  As for smartphones, I use Android, currently a Galaxy S3, as the iPhone has never met my needs; Apple was slow to get it up to a high-resolution display, slow to get it on Verizon, slow to put even a minimally decent notifications system in the operating system, slow to get 4G on it, and completely non-responsive so far in terms of user customization of the OS.  What, exactly, is Apple patenting?  And don't tell me, "rounded corners."  If that's what it's about, Apple, Samsung and all the rest of the gang should be paying compensation to RIM, who had rounded corners on the Blackberry the better part of a decade ago.

Apple's real innovation with the iPhone was a very simple one; make the process of application development standard enough, easy enough, and cheap enough for software developer and customer alike to foster an environment where people can actually use their phones as a computing platform.  The stuff they're actually suing over, on the other hand, is abuse of the legal system.  If the other firms should be paying royalties, it should be for the likes of the App Store and Xcode -- not rounded corners and icons and bouncing windows.  The fact that Android is now in serious trouble for doing far less than Microsoft did to copy Apple 20 years ago is just another indication of how our current generation of legal professionals and corporate executives have lost sight of what patent law should be about.  This is just another one of those things, rather like the serious possibility that we'll be disallowed from selling our second-hand imported electronics to others without manufacturer permission, that shows the patent system to have spiraled completely out of control.

post #260 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibod View Post

... As for my computer, I can no longer justify the Apple Premium, and instead am looking to buy a Windows machine instead. ...

You almost had us going there until that bit. Nice try. Next time, sweat the details.

post #261 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocseg View Post

I'm sure you all already know where a so called genius Jony Ivy inspiration comes from, but for me this was a complete game changer back in 2007.
http://gizmodo.com/343641/1960s-braun-products-hold-the-secrets-to-apples-future

You know I've seen this picture million times and I still don't get it. Does anyone confuse an iPod with a Braun thermostat? They look nothing alike except they're both white. This Braun own a patent on the color white?

And before anyone chimes in with 'the Galaxy S III looks nothing like an iPhone', many of the patent issues Apple has with Samsung have nothing to do with the look and feel of the hardware but are software related.
post #262 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

... Apple's real innovation with the iPhone was a very simple one; make the process of application development standard enough, easy enough, and cheap enough for software developer and customer alike to foster an environment where people can actually use their phones as a computing platform.  The stuff they're actually suing over, on the other hand, is abuse of the legal system.  If the other firms should be paying royalties, it should be for the likes of the App Store and Xcode -- not rounded corners and icons and bouncing windows. ...

So, what you are saying is that there was practically no difference between the original iPhone and a Blackberry, other than the software development and distribution process? (Ignoring the fact that for the original iPhone there was no software development and distribution process.) I think we can pretty much reject your assertions as being, prima facie, absurd.

It is interesting to note however that Samsung has also knocked off Xcode, the Mac Mini, the MacBook Air, cables and connectors, packaging, ...

post #263 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

You know I've seen this picture million times and I still don't get it. Does anyone confuse an iPod with a Braun thermostat? They look nothing alike except they're both white. This Braun own a patent on the color white?
And before anyone chimes in with 'the Galaxy S III looks nothing like an iPhone', many of the patent issues Apple has with Samsung have nothing to do with the look and feel of the hardware but are software related.

It's the same effect as seeing a face on Mars or Snoopy in a cloud. It's a product of the irrational and possibly insane.

Note that these images are always done with the same angle, lighting and other effects to make sure they have a similar appearance. You can test this with a squint test, something you don't see in a court room to prove that something is the same as something completely different.

Isn't one of the supposed stolen objects a dehumidifier being compared to a Mac Pro? I can't even begin to imagine how crazy one must be to think those are the same products because at a certain angle and lighting they have vaguely the same shape.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #264 of 326

Why cant anyone ever be in the middle gorund?

Because "they started it", despite Apple not starting it.

I am completely fed up with Apple's behavior. …patent trolling company… What, exactly, is Apple patenting? The stuff they're actually suing over, on the other hand, is abuse of the legal system. This is just another one of those things, rather like the serious possibility that we'll be disallowed from selling our second-hand imported electronics to others without manufacturer permission, that shows the patent system to have spiraled completely out of control.

Blah blah, lies about Apple, blah blah, the patent system is broken, blah blah, the legal system is broken, blah blah, I've never created anything worth protecting in my life… 

Also,

I use Android, currently a Galaxy S3, as the iPhone has never met my needs; Apple was slow to get it up to a high-resolution display,

Complaining about Apple not having a high resolution display, yet buying a phone with a worse display than Apple's. Okay.

You almost had us going there until that bit. Nice try. Next time, sweat the details.

He can't; he doesn't want Apple products anymore, so he doesn't get that mentality. lol.gif

post #265 of 326
Quote:

I am completely fed up with Apple's behavior.  ......  As for smartphones, I use Android....

Bravo! You put your money where your mouth is. Good for you.

Now, go put your fingers to the keyboard where your product interest lies. Run along, to some fandroid forums.....

post #266 of 326
Quote:

I am completely fed up with Apple's behavior. 

Why? Are they suing *you*?

Apple's always been this way. They've always been very litigious and very aggressive about protecting their intellectual property. 

It's just that today, infringement of Apple's IP is occurring on a grand scale. So naturally, Apple's response is far-reaching. 

There's really nothing to see here. 

post #267 of 326
Quote:

I come to this forum to see a multitude of people polarized on either side. Why cant anyone ever be in the middle gorund?

Color me in the middle. 4 iPhone's and 3 Android devices later, I've seen the best and worst they have to offer. I'm not at all open minded to Macs because I'm a gamer and, of course, PCs have much more to offer in that market but Apple hit on a winning formula with the iPhone. Samsung and others have ABSOLUTELY copied aspects of iOS and I don't necessarily have a problem with Apple going after infringers in court. However, I think Apple is being incredibly short sighted. Android manufacturers may copy aspects of iOS but they are also making huge strides into new technologies and improvements. Anyone who can't see that, beyond the basic UI, Apple has stayed behind the curve in advancements simply isn't being honest. That blanket claim that the fandroids make about every new improvement coming to iOS having been on Android for a year or two is true more often than not. Up 'till now Android has had performance issues that meant it wasn't generally as responsive as an iPhone (one Android that I own has horrible lag) but that won't last. Manufacturers are nearing the sweet spot in Android's true hardware requirements and, presumably, Google is designing each new ridiculously named OS to be more efficient. Android is here to stay and Apple needs to come to terms with it and try getting ahead of the curve again. As for patents, nobody owns enough patents to put out a successful cell phone that'll conform to existing standards. If Apple stays so short sighted and creates enough ill will, the courts may wind up being the last place they want to find themselves. If patent law was at all cut and dried, Apple would be cleaning up world wide right now. They're not.

post #268 of 326
Quote:

Color me in the middle. ...

How 'bout we color you "paying lip service to the middle". There is nothing of the 'middle' in your comments, other than some hand-waving intended to create an impression of "balance".

And, contrary to popular belief, not every issue has a middle. Not every story has two sides. And this is one of those.

Apple's choice is to a) use the courts to protect it's intellectual property from unscrupulous thieves like Samsung and Google or, b) sit back and watch them steal it and devalue Apple's products and brand. And that's not really a choice at all.

post #269 of 326
Quote:

Apple's choice is to a) use the courts to protect it's intellectual property from unscrupulous thieves like Samsung and Google or, b) sit back and watch them steal it and devalue Apple's products and brand. And that's not really a choice at all.

There's no arguing your point there. That doesn't mean it's wise. You do know that Apple and Google are talking now right? Android's really not going anywhere. Even Apple pointed at an Android device that didn't infringe. Minor adjustments will get around the patents (only necessary in the U.S.) and it's business as usual. Do you really think after the adjustments are made Android sales will fall? So, the question is, what was gained? And what was potentially lost?

post #270 of 326

All of the ignorant people who defend Samsung have chosen their path, and their path is one of ignorance and one that follows the dark side.

post #271 of 326
Quote:

Minor adjustments will get around the patents (only necessary in the U.S.) and it's business as usual. Do you really think after the adjustments are made Android sales will fall? So, the question is, what was gained? And what was potentially lost?

Suppose Apple doesn't/will not fight patent theft. Ever.

Do you think Apple's sales will fall? What would be potentially lost? What would be gained?

post #272 of 326
Quote:

There's no arguing your point there. That doesn't mean it's wise. You do know that Apple and Google are talking now right? Android's really not going anywhere. Even Apple pointed at an Android device that didn't infringe. Minor adjustments will get around the patents (only necessary in the U.S.) and it's business as usual. Do you really think after the adjustments are made Android sales will fall? So, the question is, what was gained? And what was potentially lost?

Well, actually, if there's no arguing the point, then there's no arguing the point that Apple's course of action is the only "wise" thing to do.

No one's talking about making sure, "Android sales will fail." The point is, if they do their own innovation, if they stop stealing from Apple, they are a) welcome to succeed, if they can do so on the strength of their own efforts, and b) consumers really will benefit from increased innovation, whereas all we have now is rampant copying.

The last point cannot be emphasized enough. Despite Samsung's disingenuous statements to the contrary, not a single consumer will experience less innovation as a result of these legal actions decided in Apple's favor. There will either, by necessity, be more innovation as Google, Samsung, et al. stop copying Apple OR there will be exactly the same amount of innovation if Google were to give up on Android. The latter isn't going to happen, but, since those are the only two possibilities, increased innovation is the guaranteed outcome of cases decided in Apple's favor.

post #273 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Suppose Apple doesn't/will not fight patent theft. Ever.

Do you think Apple's sales will fall? What would be potentially lost? What would be gained?

Pick your battles. Samsung will probably make good on their threat to sue over the LTE patents they hold. Can anyone predict how any case will go in another country? So far, nobody outside the U.S. has been very receptive to Apple's claims. Samsung isn't the only company holding LTE patents or any of the other technologies that are considered standardized. Who can predict what a European or Asian court will consider fair use? Would Apple be talking to Google right now if not for the Moto patent portfolio?

post #274 of 326
Quote:

Well, actually, if there's no arguing the point, then there's no arguing the point that Apple's course of action is the only "wise" thing to do.

No one's talking about making sure, "Android sales will fail." The point is, if they do their own innovation, if they stop stealing from Apple, they are a) welcome to succeed, if they can do so on the strength of their own efforts, and b) consumers really will benefit from increased innovation, whereas all we have now is rampant copying.

The last point cannot be emphasized enough. Despite Samsung's disingenuous statements to the contrary, not a single consumer will experience less innovation as a result of these legal actions decided in Apple's favor. There will either, by necessity, be more innovation as Google, Samsung, et al. stop copying Apple OR there will be exactly the same amount of innovation if Google were to give up on Android. The latter isn't going to happen, but, since those are the only two possibilities, increased innovation is the guaranteed outcome of cases decided in Apple's favor.

I agree with you. This won't limit choices. It will promote innovation. Hopefully some from Apple too.

post #275 of 326
Quote:

Pick your battles. Samsung will probably make good on their threat to sue over the LTE patents they hold. Can anyone predict how any case will go in another country? So far, nobody outside the U.S. has been very receptive to Apple's claims. Samsung isn't the only company holding LTE patents or any of the other technologies that are considered standardized. Who can predict what a European or Asian court will consider fair use? Would Apple be talking to Google right now if not for the Moto patent portfolio?

Ah, to think that, for a moment, I thought you were actually beginning to make sense in your postings.

Oh well, moving along.....

post #276 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ah, to think that, for a moment, I thought you were actually beginning to make sense in your postings.

Oh well, moving along.....

If you're not all in for Windows/Android/Apple or whatever.... nobody wants to hear from you. Hold this post for as long as you like. I'll not be back.

post #277 of 326
Quote:

If it's so trivial to get around the patents, why hasn't anyone done so? Some estimates say that Samsung spent well over $50 M on legal expenses for the California case (not counting the $1 B in fines). So why didn't they simply work around the patents if it was so easy?

The most likely scenario is that it's not as easy as you and all the other Samsung shills claim.

The other possibility is that even if they can work around the patents, they believe it will cost them more in lost sales than their paid shill army claims. Clearly, it would have SOME impact since so many Tab tablets were returned to Best Buy when people found out that they weren't iPads (by Samsung's own testimony).

So, again, if it's trivial to get around the patents and it wouldn't cost Samsung any business, why haven't they done so?

In the REAL world, though, there is ample evidence that Samsung's blatant copying was done intentionally with the hope of confusing the market and obtaining more sales than they would have otherwise. Their rapid growth in market share while all of the other competitors (who weren't as obvious about copying Apple) confirms that.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #278 of 326
Quote:

As for my computer, I can no longer justify the Apple Premium, and instead am looking to buy a Windows machine instead.

I won't pay any premium. I'll just keep using my three year old MacBook, it's still working fine with Mountain Lion.

My two year old iPhone 4, I'll update as soon as a new iPhone comes out, I'm out of contract and ready to go, I wonder what the pricing will be like?

I'll update it to iOS 6 and sell it, I've already had offers.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #279 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminjayz View Post

it says on wiki that android 1st developed 2005 and the 1st iphone came out in 2007

so looks like apple was the theives .

quotes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone

The first iPhone was unveiled by Steve Jobs, late CEO of Apple, on January 9, 2007,[1] and released on June 29, 2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)

Google financially backed the initial developer of the software, Android Inc., and later purchased it in 2005.[8] The unveiling of the Android distribution in 2007 was announced with the founding of the Open Handset Alliance

ive had all the iphones and about 5 android phones ,and id rather have the freedom i have with my samsung galaxy s3 than be forced by apple how to have my phone any day .

i rest my case .

Did you really just compare the iPhone's unveiling to Android's classified development?

Do you think things through before you post???

TalkAndroid anyone?
TalkAndroid anyone?
post #280 of 326
Quote:

Only one country has shown a willingness to allow STANDARDS ESSENTIAL patents to prevail in a court case and that is South Korea.

Should we get rid of standards altogether, due to the litigious nature of some of the participants?

People complain about a "broken" patent system while ignoring a far more insidious threat the abuse of standards essential patents threatening the setting of standards.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple adds Samsung's flagship Galaxy S III, Galaxy Note to amended 'Galaxy Nexus' complaint