or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New video shows realistic mockup of fully-assembled iPhone 5 at IFA 2012
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New video shows realistic mockup of fully-assembled iPhone 5 at IFA 2012 - Page 2

post #41 of 160
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post
I am pretty sure that they will eventually get rid of the bezels along with the Home button maybe as soon as iPhone-7 redesign. Then you entire post will look ridiculous.

 

Suggesting they'll get rid of the top and bottom of the phone where the Home Button and speaker/camera HAVE TO RESIDE already looks ridiculous.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #42 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

I am afraid you are either confusing design with design compromises or in some serious denial. As an end user I should not really care that the fat top bezel is there just to fit the cameras utilizing an entire case depth, and the bottom bezel is there to make a place for the Home button. The fact that they are actually smaller (and not as wide as on previous generations) is that Apple recognizes the problem and tries to fix it as much as the technology allows.

I am pretty sure that they will eventually get rid of the bezels along with the Home button maybe as soon as iPhone-7 redesign.
Then you entire post will look ridiculous.

Your rational for Apple making the forehead, chin and Home Button a little smaller because they don't want them at all is ridiculous. Do you really think we are at a point of putting the camera's pixels into the display and touch matrix while keeping the display quality and camera quality just as good? How about the ear piece for the phone or the proximity sensor? I'm guessing those lose their usefulness when placed on the back of the phone.

If you think it through you'll realize that the slight reduction was required because of the increase in the display NOT because they are are idiots who just realized they are wasting space. If you do some basic measurements you'll see the different in the display height is farther than the difference in device length between models. They compromised to get a bigger display without adding too much additional size. In fact, it could be smaller by volume and weight than the 4S because of the reduced thickness.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #43 of 160

LOL guys, 

It says model no. = A1303  !!

 

refer to Apple official Website it says A1303 => 3GS

 

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3939

post #44 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

 

If that's true, Samsung is going to be all over Apple's backside.

 

Not like it'll matter, this mock-up looks like an Android phone to begin with.

Yup, because Samsung has done so well thus far.

post #45 of 160

Ref: The speaker holes.

 

It reminds me of this.

 

 

 

The fake was 'leaked' before the announcement.

Not a patch on the real thing for style, but - pretty close design wise.

Grocery Stores FEAR Him
Reply
Grocery Stores FEAR Him
Reply
post #46 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

All of these leaks are obviously coming from somewhere, and the lousy and unreliable workers who are responsible need to be punished and fired. The overall security at Foxconn plants and other plants that are producing parts for Apple is obviously far from acceptable. They're a joke!

 

I've said something similar to this before, but they should do full strip searches of everybody entering and leaving the plants. No cell phones w/cameras allowed and everybody should be checked when leaving work to make sure that they don't sneak any parts out with them. They should all have to walk through x-ray machines and be subject to body searches, just like at the airport. There are moles working there and they must be eliminated. If somebody smart and capable was in charge of security, nobody on the internet would have a freaking clue as to what the next iPhone would look like.

 

A few ignorant people worry about the wages at Foxconn plants, even though the wages there are very good, it's far more important to worry about the security at these plants which assembles goods for Apple.

First world problems...

post #47 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by daratbastid View Post

Double down security team... Fired

Maybe they accidentally divided by two instead of multiplying....
post #48 of 160

Oh, and now I'm just shooting hoops with you guys here, not a prediction or nothing, just daydreaming . . .

 

I saw this video for an Omega watch.

 

 

Ceramics and Liquidmetal, materials close to Apple's heart.

Can you imagine an iPhone case made using this process, with Jony Ive's design ?

 

 

aaahh . . . (amoradala drifts off into sweet Apple dream. . . ;) ) 

Grocery Stores FEAR Him
Reply
Grocery Stores FEAR Him
Reply
post #49 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninadpchaudhari View Post

LOL guys, 

It says model no. = A1303  !!

 

refer to Apple official Website it says A1303 => 3GS

 

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3939

Yes. It was mentioned here, BTW:

 

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/01/new_video_shows_realistic_mockup_of_fully_assembled_iphone_5_at_ifa_2012.html

post #50 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/152264/new-video-shows-realistic-mockup-of-fully-assembled-iphone-5-at-ifa-2012#post_2180681"]All of these leaks are obviously coming from somewhere, and the lousy and unreliable workers who are responsible need to be punished and fired. The overall security at Foxconn plants and other plants that are producing parts for Apple is obviously far from acceptable. They're a joke!

I've said something similar to this before, but they should do full strip searches of everybody entering and leaving the plants. No cell phones w/cameras allowed and everybody should be checked when leaving work to make sure that they don't sneak any parts out with them. They should all have to walk through x-ray machines and be subject to body searches, just like at the airport. There are moles working there and they must be eliminated. If somebody smart and capable was in charge of security, nobody on the internet would have a freaking clue as to what the next iPhone would look like.

A few ignorant people worry about the wages at Foxconn plants, even though the wages there are very good, it's far more important to worry about the security at these plants which assembles goods for Apple.
It's a smartphone, not a nuclear bomb or a something of national security. So what if it gets leaked.

It's not like someone is passing around nude pics of your mom on the Internet. Some people are just too emotionally attached to an inanimate object that you have to PAY MONEY FOR.
post #51 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

I just don't see the hand of Jony Ive.
 

Agreed.  Nor the work of the late Steve Jobs.

post #52 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

Oh, and now I'm just shooting hoops with you guys here, not a prediction or nothing, just daydreaming . . .

I saw this video for an Omega watch.




Ceramics and Liquidmetal, materials close to Apple's heart.
Can you imagine an iPhone case made using this process, with Jony Ive's design ?


aaahh . . . (amoradala drifts off into sweet Apple dream. . . 1wink.gif

I know Anand said the 6th gen iPhone won't have NFC because there isn't enough room for the NFC without interference but what if that back plate is invisible to RF? Doesn't LiquidMetal have that capability?

Still, since we haven't any rumours about partnering to make merchant sales feasible I doubt it's coming this year.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #53 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


It's a smartphone, not a nuclear bomb or a something of national security. So what if it gets leaked.
It's not like someone is passing around nude pics of your mom on the Internet. Some people are just too emotionally attached to an inanimate object that you have to PAY MONEY FOR.

Pictures of somebody's naked mom on the internet is far less important than the new design of an Apple phone. People post nude pictures of other people on the internet all of the time, it's hardly a rare event or anything that is of any importance that will affect many people.

 

Anybody who owns even just one Apple stock should care about the insane amount of leaks involving Apple's products. Corporate espionage and industrial theft trumps somebody's naked mom. 

post #54 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/152264/new-video-shows-realistic-mockup-of-fully-assembled-iphone-5-at-ifa-2012/40#post_2180811"]Pictures of somebody's naked mom on the internet is far less important than the new design of an Apple phone. People post nude pictures of other people on the internet all of the time, it's hardly a rare event or anything that is of any importance that will affect many people.

Anybody who owns even just one Apple stock should care about the insane amount of leaks involving Apple's products. Corporate espionage and industrial theft trumps somebody's naked mom. 

Again, you are taking this too personally. And anyone that owns Apple stock right now isn't likely worried about leaks, they're looking at their fast growing investment.

It's damn near impossible to control leaks when you don't control every single aspect of production. When you have multiple suppliers/contractors in multiple factories in multiple countries, it becomes harder to contain.

Besides, all the leaks mean Apple stays in the tech news cycle 24-7 and even the major newspapers get in on the action. Everyone hangs on every word about everything Apple... why else would you even be here? What would AI have to write about if there weren't parts leaks, model number leaks, insider speculation, etc.

You "hate on the leaks" yet indulge on a "leaks" based site. Explain that one.
post #55 of 160

Contrary to what most people believe here, I think the NFC chip will be there; However, it is rendered inactive/unusable until it is being incorporated/activated by one iteration of future IOS fixes/updates. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

The Bad:
-------------
No NFC
 
post #56 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

You "hate on the leaks" yet indulge on a "leaks" based site. Explain that one.

I come here because I own and use a lot of Apple's products, and this is where I get to talk about Apple related stuff, including AAPL, which I happen to own a small amount of. That doesn't mean that I condone leaks and people stealing from Apple, quite the contrary.

 

One thing is shooting the breeze and speculating about which features a new Apple product will have or will not have, but it's something completely different when moles start leaking confidential info or stealing parts. Those criminals should be in jail.

post #57 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

 

Those patents aren't FRAND, chief.

 

The standards essential patents are.

post #58 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/152264/new-video-shows-realistic-mockup-of-fully-assembled-iphone-5-at-ifa-2012/40#post_2180816"]I come here because I own and use a lot of Apple's products, and this is where I get to talk about Apple related stuff, including AAPL, which I happen to own a small amount of. That doesn't mean that I condone leaks and people stealing from Apple, quite the contrary.

One thing is shooting the breeze and speculating about which features a new Apple product will have or will not have, but it's something completely different when moles start leaking confidential info or stealing parts. Those criminals should be in jail.

You are expecting way too much with regards to secrecy. This isn't like the formula for Coca-Cola, or Kentucky Fried Chicken, or Bush's Baked Beans where the recipe is held close to the vest and isn't accessible by many people.

Thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of people come in contact with Apple components. Leaks are going to happen. PERIOD. Get over it, move on.
post #59 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


This isn't like the formula for Coca-Cola, or Kentucky Fried Chicken, or Bush's Baked Beans where the recipe is held close to the vest and isn't accessible by many people.
Thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of people come in contact with Apple components. Leaks are going to happen. PERIOD. Get over it, move on.

 

I agree that many more people will come into contact with Apple components than with any of those other companies "secret" recipes, though I don't agree that Apple's secrets are any less important than any of those "secret" food and drink recipes, which you seem to be implying. Apple is a far bigger company than any of those companies, and there could be better security. Hundreds of thousands of people work for Foxconn, so what? They should step up their security and so should all of Apple's suppliers. Leaks will happen, though that doesn't mean that steps can't be taken to minimize them.

post #60 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/152264/new-video-shows-realistic-mockup-of-fully-assembled-iphone-5-at-ifa-2012/40#post_2180821"]
I agree that many more people will come into contact with Apple components than with any of those other companies "secret" recipes, though I don't agree that Apple's secrets are any less important than any of those "secret" food and drink recipes, which you seem to be implying. Apple is a far bigger company than any of those companies, and there could be better security. Hundreds of thousands of people work for Foxconn, so what? They should step up their security and so should all of Apple's suppliers. Leaks will happen, though that doesn't mean that steps can't be taken to minimize them.
Who's to say they haven't stepped up security? And I wasn't implying that Apple's secrets are less important, just that they open themselves up to bigger security holes based on the nature of its products/production method. As I said, multiple product lines, each with hundreds of parts, handled by hundreds of thousands of people...

You do the math.

Security is enforced/enacted by man. Man is fallible. You can have all the security in the world, and all it takes is one slip-up, and EVERYTHING is on the table. (lost iPhone 4 prototype).
post #61 of 160
I'm so not excited by the next iPhone. There better be something technically interesting about it other than the taller screen, LTE, and new cameras or I won't be replacing my 4S. I'm really not looking forward to having all my cables and accessories rendered useless by the new dock, plus I'm concerned about the component video and analog audio output being ditched in the new connector.
post #62 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by daratbastid View Post

Double down security team... Fired

 

Groupthink is bad, mkay. Think Different is the motto.
Reply
Groupthink is bad, mkay. Think Different is the motto.
Reply
post #63 of 160
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post
I'm so not excited by the next iPhone. There better be something technically interesting about it other than the taller screen, LTE, and new cameras or I won't be replacing my 4S. I'm really not looking forward to having all my cables and accessories rendered useless by the new dock, plus I'm concerned about the component video and analog audio output being ditched in the new connector.

 

So entirely new hardware inside, faster CPU, faster GPU, faster telephony, more RAM, potentially NFC, a larger screen… not gonna cut it for you?

 

Anyway, the idea is that you update every two years.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #64 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

.
AppleInsider also analyzed a high-quality version of the video and discovered further reasons to doubt the device is an authentic iPhone 5. .

Of course it's not authentic.

Some random case maker wouldn't have a real iPhone whatever it gets called at this point.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #65 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

I'm pretty sure this is a hardware kitbash, and not an actual next-gen iPhone smuggled out of Cupertino.

You mean Foxconn.

Unless we are supposed to believe that some Apple test engineer has a craving for authentic German sauerkraut and left it in a bar in Berlin

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #66 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So entirely new hardware inside, faster CPU, faster GPU, faster telephony, more RAM, potentially NFC, a larger screen… not gonna cut it for you?

Anyway, the idea is that you update every two years.

Don't forget a mostly metal back which we haven't seen since the original iPhone in 2007. It's also anodized, an aesthetic element we've never seen on an iPhone. Yep, completely the same except for being the most significant YoY change we've ever seen for the iPhone.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #67 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by daratbastid View Post

Double down security team... Fired

Until the new iPhone is released and is exactly like the 4s shape and we have rumors that Apple started all this so folks wouldn't go looking for real info

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #68 of 160

If this stuff ends up being real, then it'll make Time Cook's line about doubling down on secrecy look pretty empty. I've never seen so many parts of upcoming products.

post #69 of 160
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post
If this stuff ends up being real, then it'll make Time Cook's line about doubling down on secrecy look pretty empty. I've never seen so many parts of upcoming products.

 

STOP. SAYING. THIS. STUFF.

 

I think this might bother me more than "iPhone 5"… lol.gif At least everyone will shut up about that when the device comes out.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #70 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

If this stuff ends up being real, then it'll make Time Cook's line about doubling down on secrecy look pretty empty. I've never seen so many parts of upcoming products.

No it won't.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #71 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

I'm so not excited by the next iPhone. There better be something technically interesting about it other than the taller screen, LTE, and new cameras or I won't be replacing my 4S. I'm really not looking forward to having all my cables and accessories rendered useless by the new dock, plus I'm concerned about the component video and analog audio output being ditched in the new connector.

WTF? You're complaining that having basically everything change *isn't* enough for you, but at the same time changing the dock connector is too much???????

post #72 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

I'm so not excited by the next iPhone. There better be something technically interesting about it other than the taller screen, LTE, and new cameras or I won't be replacing my 4S. I'm really not looking forward to having all my cables and accessories rendered useless by the new dock, plus I'm concerned about the component video and analog audio output being ditched in the new connector.
WTF? You're complaining that having basically everything change *isn't* enough for you, but at the same time changing the dock connector is too much???????

The 4S brought Siri, fixed the antenna gate problems, improved the main camera, CPU and GPU, and added support for the digital AV adapter, all without breaking compatibility with anything purchased for the iPhone 4, and the same goes to the third-generation iPad.

Thing is, at this point I'm not feeling the need for even more performance on the phone, though improved battery life would be appreciated; there is nothing exciting about iOS 6 nor is there anything exclusive that would make me want the new iPhone; I find LTE to be extremely overrated considering that I still disable 3G to conserve battery life sometimes; I don't see much of a point to a taller screen, but a screen that could actually be read in plain sunlight would have been appreciated; I'm concerned with the potential loss of the ability to stream analog audio and video as well as to connect an RS-232 to the phone due to the new connector, and I don't like the fact that many of my peripherals will be rendered useless; and finally, simple features that could sell me the phone continue to be missing, such as an FM radio transceiver (these usually come bundled with BT parts, so there really is no reason for the iPhone not to have one) or support more BT profiles that even featurephones support (like OBEX and OPP to share content and VCards between phones).
post #73 of 160
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post
The 4S brought Siri…

 

Which is software, not hardware, and not dependent on said hardware.

 

…fixed the antenna gate problems… 

 

Probably because there wasn't one to begin with.

 

…all without breaking compatibility with anything purchased for the iPhone 4…
 

Tech changes. These things happen. You have to get used to it. Eventually you'll be buying an iDevice with Dock Connector 2, which means you'll have to buy new stuff or a $10 adapter.

 

…there is nothing exciting about iOS 6 nor is there anything exclusive that would make me want the new iPhone…

 

Then, as I said, wait the full two years of the normal upgrade period.

 

…a screen that could actually be read in plain sunlight would have been appreciated…

 

It can now.

 

I'm concerned with the potential loss of the ability to… …connect an RS-232 to the phone… 
 

😶

…I don't like the fact that many of my peripherals will be rendered useless…

 

$10 adapter or buy new, better stuff when you can afford it.


…finally, simple features that could sell me the phone continue to be missing, such as an FM radio transceiver… 

 

It's a cell phone. Was there a single cell phone before the iPhone that had one? Is there a single cell phone after the iPhone that has?

 

…support more BT profiles that even feature phones support (like OBEX and OPP to share content and VCards between phones).

 

I've always wondered myself about Apple's reticence to expand Bluetooth connectivity. Maybe they just figure it's not good tech. 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #74 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

The 4S brought Siri…

Which is software, not hardware, and not dependent on said hardware.

Actually it did involve sound filtering hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
…fixed the antenna gate problems… 

Probably because there wasn't one to begin with.

Apple disagrees with you; they offered a full refund to anyone affected by the problem, and the iPhone 4S has a different double-antenna design (with the secondary antenna extending downwards) specifically to address the "you're holding it wrong" problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
…all without breaking compatibility with anything purchased for the iPhone 4…
Tech changes. These things happen. You have to get used to it. Eventually you'll be buying an iDevice with Dock Connector 2, which means you'll have to buy new stuff or a $10 adapter.

I'm not denying that, merely stating that, at this point, I don't see how the benefits outweight the drawbacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
…a screen that could actually be read in plain sunlight would have been appreciated…

It can now.

Here on earth, I can't read anything off the phone in plain sunlight, I always need to find shade to read anything, which is annoying and could easily be fixed. Oh and before you start commenting on my sight, remember that it's the phone that is supposed to adapt to the user, not the other way around, so don't even start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
I'm concerned with the potential loss of the ability to… …connect an RS-232 to the phone… 
😶
Quote:
…I don't like the fact that many of my peripherals will be rendered useless…

$10 adapter or buy new, better stuff when you can afford it.

There is absolutely no guarantee that the adapter will have all the functionality, and considering the number of conductors in the new dock connector I'd say the chances of that happening are actually pretty low, especially if you also take into account the fact that, despite having 30pins, the current connector is actually pretty stuffed and you need to provide specific voltages in certain pins in order to enable / disable certain functionality because even the 30 pins aren't enough for everything at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
…finally, simple features that could sell me the phone continue to be missing, such as an FM radio transceiver… 

It's a cell phone. Was there a single cell phone before the iPhone that had one? Is there a single cell phone after the iPhone that has?

Plenty! All current featurephones have FM transceivers, because as I mentioned, they tend to come bundled with the BT chips. The Nokia N95 that I had before the original iPhone launched already had such functionality, it was a pretty standard smartphone feature at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
…support more BT profiles that even feature phones support (like OBEX and OPP to share content and VCards between phones).

I've always wondered myself about Apple's reticence to expand Bluetooth connectivity. Maybe they just figure it's not good tech. 

Or maybe they want to lock you into their ecosystem.
post #75 of 160

 

 

I hope the new iPhone looks something like this.

post #76 of 160

 

 

I hope the new iPhone looks something like this.


Edited by Liski - 9/1/12 at 9:18pm
post #77 of 160
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post
Actually it did involve sound filtering hardware.

 

But it works identically on the iPhone 4.

 

Apple disagrees with you; they offered a full refund to anyone affected by the problem, and the iPhone 4S has a different double-antenna design (with the secondary antenna extending downwards) specifically to address the "you're holding it wrong" problem.

 

Nope. And it had a different antenna design because it's CDMA+GSM. 


I'm not denying that, merely stating that, at this point, I don't see how the benefits outweight the drawbacks.

 

It's entirely new hardware in a brand new case with a larger screen, better physical port, potentially better cameras, further software upgradability, and even more as yet unknown hardware. That doesn't outweigh having to buy a $10 adapter? Or waiting a few months for new accessories to be made? This is a holiday quarter. If you think that the accessory makers aren't going to bang out Dock Connector 2-based accessories faster than you can make a post on here complaining about how Apple dropped analog support, you have another thing coming. lol.gif

 

Here on earth, I can't read anything off the phone in plain sunlight, I always need to find shade to read anything, which is annoying and could easily be fixed. 
 

Sorry, I'm apparently standing at the foothills of Pompeii during its eruption.

 

There is absolutely no guarantee that the adapter will have all the functionality, and considering the number of conductors in the new dock connector I'd say the chances of that happening are actually pretty low, especially if you also take into account the fact that, despite having 30pins, the current connector is actually pretty stuffed and you need to provide specific voltages in certain pins in order to enable / disable certain functionality because even the 30 pins aren't enough for everything at the same time.

 

Right. And so, as with all technologies, you'll eventually have to give up your legacy stuff if you ever expect to have modern devices.

 

Or maybe they want to lock you into their ecosystem.

 

Heaven forbid.

 

 

 

The iPod nano has probably the best FM radio of any device. Rewinding and saving the song name for later purchase shouldn't have taken this long for someone to come up with.


Originally Posted by Liski View Post
I hope the new iPhone looks something like this.

 

We already know it doesn't.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #78 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But it works identically on the iPhone 4.

Not in noisy environments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nope. And it had a different antenna design because it's CDMA+GSM. 

Here's a class action settlement, and here's Apple admitting the problem. I was wrong about the full refund, though, Jobs promised a free case or a refund to anyone who had already bought a case to work around the antenna gate issues. This happened, you can not deny it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's entirely new hardware in a brand new case with a larger screen, better physical port, potentially better cameras, further software upgradability, and even more as yet unknown hardware. That doesn't outweigh having to buy a $10 adapter? Or waiting a few months for new accessories to be made? This is a holiday quarter. If you think that the accessory makers aren't going to bang out Dock Connector 2-based accessories faster than you can make a post on here complaining about how Apple dropped analog support, you have another thing coming. lol.gif

You're already losing track of the argument. The problem is not the adapter, the problem is that a lot of the functionality provided by the 30pin dock connector will most likely not be available even with an adapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Right. And so, as with all technologies, you'll eventually have to give up your legacy stuff if you ever expect to have modern devices.

Except there are no replacements for the legacy stuff, so assuming the new dock connector does not provide these features, it's essentially a downgrade. Right now I can easily record from the analog A/V output; if that output is lost, recording will be pretty much impossible. Same goes for the RS-232, there is no easy replacement for it, USB is too overkill for everything RS-232 is used as it requires software.
post #79 of 160
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post
Not in noisy environments.

 

Neither does Siri on the 4S!

 

Here's a class action settlement, and here's Apple admitting the problem. This happened, you can not deny it.

 

Aside from the fact that no changes were made to the hardware and the problem still went away, of course it happened.

 

You're already losing track of the argument. The problem is not the adapter, the problem is that a lot of the functionality provided by the 30pin dock connector will most likely not be available even with an adapter.

 

No, I specifically mentioned that.

 

Except there are no replacements for the legacy stuff, so assuming the new dock connector does not provide these features, it's essentially a downgrade.

 

If you want to hook up your iPhone to your record player, that's fine. Keep an old iPhone around to do that.


 Right now I can easily record from the analog A/V output; if that output is lost, recording will be pretty much impossible.

 

I forgot that digital recorders haven't been invented yet.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #80 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Neither does Siri on the 4S!

Actually, it does. I can use Siri perfectly in malls and even in the metro without issues, despite the noise, and under conditions where I would have trouble understanding what people are saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Aside from the fact that no changes were made to the hardware and the problem still went away, of course it happened.

Changes were made, an extra smaller antenna was added. You've already agreed with this before, I see no reason other than trolling for you to be making this claim now after having been proven wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, I specifically mentioned that.

Then your point was moot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If you want to hook up your iPhone to your record player, that's fine. Keep an old iPhone around to do that.

No, I want to hook it up to my Elgato EyeTV Hybrid in order to record A/V output from my own apps, which would include recording A/V output from an iPhone with a taller screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I forgot that digital recorders haven't been invented yet.

Where can I find a digital recorder for HDMI?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • New video shows realistic mockup of fully-assembled iPhone 5 at IFA 2012
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New video shows realistic mockup of fully-assembled iPhone 5 at IFA 2012