or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New video shows realistic mockup of fully-assembled iPhone 5 at IFA 2012
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New video shows realistic mockup of fully-assembled iPhone 5 at IFA 2012 - Page 3

post #81 of 160
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post
Changes were made, an extra smaller antenna was added. You've already agreed with this before, I see no reason other than trolling for you to be making this claim now after having been proven wrong.

 

I am not trolling. I did not agree with that. Do you have a source for the "extra antenna" and other changes?

 

Then your point was moot.

 

I don't get it. You raised a concern about compatibility. I offered up two solutions for this problem. You call that moot. How?


No, I want to hook it up to my Elgato EyeTV Hybrid in order to record A/V output from my own apps, which would include recording A/V output from an iPhone with a taller screen. Where can I find a digital recorder for HDMI?

 

Ooh, sounds neat. So something like this, but with HDMI? The page says HDMI, but the images don't show it. And it's not out yet, despite last month having come and gone. It looks like the simplest and cleanest solution, but absolutely there are HDMI capture devices and have been for a long time.

post #82 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I am not trolling. I did not agree with that. Do you have a source for the "extra antenna" and other changes?

On post #76 you said: "Nope. And it had a different antenna design because it's CDMA+GSM.".

On post #78 you contradicted yourself with: "Aside from the fact that no changes were made to the hardware and the problem still went away, of course it happened.".

Make up your mind already! Did the hardware change or did it not? 1wink.gif

Regarding a source, yes, of course I have a source, I make it a point not to spit out embarrassing bullshit like you do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't get it. You raised a concern about compatibility. I offered up two solutions for this problem. You call that moot. How?

You did not offer any solutions at all, you suggested that I either stick to an old device (which is irrelevant since that was the original point of the discussion) or that I should adapt to the changes (which I refuted by stating more than once that adaptation was impossible since there are no alternatives to the features that will potentially be lost), so yes, your point was and is still moot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ooh, sounds neat. So something like this, but with HDMI? The page says HDMI, but the images don't show it. And it's not out yet, despite last month having come and gone. It looks like the simplest and cleanest solution, but absolutely there are HDMI capture devices and have been for a long time.

Yes dude, there are plenty, you just happen to be completely incapable of finding anything that's not a scam without any actual HDMI input ports, right? 1wink.gif

Give up already, you're embarrassing yourself!
post #83 of 160

Ouch..., this favorite design of yours borrows too much from phones already made by either Apple's archenemy Samsung or Apple's secret love Sony,  a twofer special and to be aptly  named as a SamSon Phone. If the new Iphone does look like this- very highly doubtful- then it will just confirm the already widely circulated chatters that Apple is just an aggregator of other companies' design and technology, a company with very little originality of its own. We'll see, it's coming in matter of weeks from now.

 

 

 

Quote:
 
Originally Posted by Liski View Post

 

 

I hope the new iPhone looks something like this.

post #84 of 160
Quote:
 
The Ugly:
-------------
 
The sticky hardware Home button just does not go away (is this a "crisis of design" right here?)
 

 

If they got rid of the home button then that would be a design failure in my opinion.
 
You accidentally brush the soft home key and you're back to the home screen. It's the biggest problem I have with my Windows Phone. The hard button is much better.
 
post #85 of 160

This part is very easily resolved, you just hit the back button, and all will be a OK. But, my biggest problem is the Search/Bing button which got brushed/touched way too easily. Is this Microsoft trick to add the hit tally to its Bing Website? I really hate that button. I think Microsoft should just banish it altogether.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

 

If they got rid of the home button then that would be a design failure in my opinion.
 
You accidentally brush the soft home key and you're back to the home screen. It's the biggest problem I have with my Windows Phone. The hard button is much better.
 
post #86 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liski View Post

 

 

I hope the new iPhone looks something like this.

 

Curved back? You won't be able to use while it lies on a table.

post #87 of 160

Wonder if apple will release some sort of 'smart cover' for the new iPhone, to stop the butter fingers from bitching about how fragile the iPhones are.
id like to see apple do something that's more integrated into the design

post #88 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelapple View Post

I find it strange this person from Israel believes he has a world exclusive...from some cover manufacturer at a show Apple isn't attending (not that they really attend anything anymore, but...). Having been to Israel, this now makes me wonder about the quality of their tech media.

 

!אני מקווה אתה נהנה אייפון חדש שלך חחח

 

.וואוו

 

אני מסכים

post #89 of 160

There is no way Apple would finish the back cover outer rim near the camera this way. Who really cares? We'll see the real thing by the end of the month.

post #90 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

All of these leaks are obviously coming from somewhere, and the lousy and unreliable workers who are responsible need to be punished and fired. The overall security at Foxconn plants and other plants that are producing parts for Apple is obviously far from acceptable. They're a joke!

 

I've said something similar to this before, but they should do full strip searches of everybody entering and leaving the plants. No cell phones w/cameras allowed and everybody should be checked when leaving work to make sure that they don't sneak any parts out with them. They should all have to walk through x-ray machines and be subject to body searches, just like at the airport. There are moles working there and they must be eliminated. If somebody smart and capable was in charge of security, nobody on the internet would have a freaking clue as to what the next iPhone would look like.

 

A few ignorant people worry about the wages at Foxconn plants, even though the wages there are very good, it's far more important to worry about the security at these plants which assembles goods for Apple.

 

If you worked in a factory, would you accept "strip searches" every day?   Would you walk through an x-ray machine every single day and face that risky exposure?     And you say the wages are pretty good - would you work for such a wage?

 

Furthermore, you don't know if the leaks are coming from Foxconn.   It could be coming from one of the many suppliers who supply finished parts to Foxconn.  My understanding is that no actual manufacturing takes place at Foxconn - that Foxconn is actually just an assembly plant.     "Moles" working there?   I think your'e a bit paranoid.     Even if someone from Foxconn did steal something and released it, that doesn't make them a mole.    They'd only be a mole if they were actually also working for someone else.   

 

And in the end, what difference does it make?   Let's say for the moment that this video is showing a real iPhone 5.    So what?    How does it hurt Apple aside from ego?   I would make the case that it helps Apple because it builds up interest about the phone.    And I don't know why you're so protective of Apple in the first place.    If someone snuck onto a movie set and released some photos from the new Hobbit movie, would you say that every employee on the set should be strip searched every day?   

post #91 of 160
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post
On post #76 you said: "Nope. And it had a different antenna design because it's CDMA+GSM.".
On post #78 you contradicted yourself with: "Aside from the fact that no changes were made to the hardware and the problem still went away, of course it happened.".
Make up your mind already! Did the hardware change or did it not?

 

Please try to read in context. It helps a ton. The change was made to the iPhone 4S. Because the iPhone 4S. Has CDMA+GSM in one phone. The iPhone 4. Does not have this. And therefore the antenna was not changed. On the iPhone 4. Unless you have evidence to the contrary, the antenna on an iPhone 4 you buy today. Is identical to the antenna on an iPhone 4 on launch day. And yet the problem. went. away. After a few months. 

 

Could it be. Perhaps. That just maybe. The problem. Wasn't. With. The hardware.


Regarding a source, yes, of course I have a source, I make it a point not to spit out embarrassing bullshit like you do!

 

Ah, so you're fine with making up completely unrelated crap talking about a completely different phone and pretending it's the same phone as the phone we're discussing.

 

You're embarrassing yourself. 

 

You did not offer any solutions at all, you suggested that I either stick to an old device (which is irrelevant since that was the original point of the discussion) or that I should adapt to the changes (which I refuted by stating more than once that adaptation was impossible since there are no alternatives to the features that will potentially be lost), so yes, your point was and is still moot.

 

Except those are the two solutions you have. There are no other solutions while continuing to use Apple's devices. Unless, of course, they DON'T drop analog in Dock Connector 2. There is nothing irrelevant about what I said.


Yes dude, there are plenty, you just happen to be completely incapable of finding anything that's not a scam without any actual HDMI input ports, right? 

 

Could you possibly grow up, please? Or at least read what I'm writing? Again, I specifically addressed that. Guess who, by his own admission, is also incapable of finding one, despite needing it? You'd think you'd either be looking for this sort of thing or looking for a new phone ecosystem. I don't get what your problem is: analog stuff has been receiving hate mail from the grim reaper for about a decade now. Now he has finally got around to your house on his route and is ringing your doorbell and you're not even pretending you're not home, no sirree, you're yelling at him that pretending you're not at home isn't an option AND giving up to him isn't an option. He's laughing.


Originally Posted by jason98 View Post
Curved back? You won't be able to use while it lies on a table.

 

Does anyone really do that? Makes me cringe… And the iPhone 3G/S were like that.

post #92 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

Oh, and now I'm just shooting hoops with you guys here, not a prediction or nothing, just daydreaming . . .

 

I saw this video for an Omega watch.

 

 

Ceramics and Liquidmetal, materials close to Apple's heart.

Can you imagine an iPhone case made using this process, with Jony Ive's design ?

 

 

aaahh . . . (amoradala drifts off into sweet Apple dream. . . ;) ) 

 

The difference is that people buy a very expensive watch and keep it for decades - it's essentially jewelry.    They buy a phone and keep it for two years, if that.      So it's not necessary to have dials that last forever in a phone.     And Apple, being the mass market producer that it now is, builds the phone for the lowest cost possible.     Those high-end watch manufacturers probably don't care all that much about the manufacturing cost because what you're really paying for when you purchase such a watch is image and the sales price is probably 100x the manufacturing cost. 

 

If Apple had never gone to the subsidized phone model and still sold phones for $700 and up, it might have been closer to the watch model.    But they didn't.     It's not esoteric in any way, shape or form.     

post #93 of 160

Could be a smoke screen, leaked / put out there to hide the 'real' new iPhone design.

 

Tim could pull this design out of his pocket saying "everyone say hi to the new iPhone", drop it and say "no really, THIS is the new iPhone, that one was an iPhoney" as he pulls the real one out of another pocket.

 

Now that would be funny. : D

post #94 of 160
Originally Posted by TogetherWeStand View Post
Tim could pull this design out of his pocket saying "everyone say hi to the new iPhone", drop it…

 

*everyone gasps*

 

It starts bouncing across the stage…

 

*some laugh, even more don't say anything at all*

 

Tim: "No, that's not the real iPhone. And it's not LiquidMetal, either."

 

*laughter*

 

Fun to imagine, but it's not what's happening.

post #95 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

If you worked in a factory, would you accept "strip searches" every day?   Would you walk through an x-ray machine every single day and face that risky exposure?     And you say the wages are pretty good - would you work for such a wage?

Furthermore, you don't know if the leaks are coming from Foxconn.   It could be coming from one of the many suppliers who supply finished parts to Foxconn.  My understanding is that no actual manufacturing takes place at Foxconn - that Foxconn is actually just an assembly plant.     "Moles" working there?   I think your'e a bit paranoid.     Even if someone from Foxconn did steal something and released it, that doesn't make them a mole.    They'd only be a mole if they were actually also working for someone else.   

And in the end, what difference does it make?   Let's say for the moment that this video is showing a real iPhone 5.    So what?    How does it hurt Apple aside from ego?   I would make the case that it helps Apple because it builds up interest about the phone.    And I don't know why you're so protective of Apple in the first place.    If someone snuck onto a movie set and released some photos from the new Hobbit movie, would you say that every employee on the set should be strip searched every day?   

Agreed 1000%
post #96 of 160
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srice View Post

 

LOL! I sure hope Samsung tries to beat-up Apple with LTE FRAND licenses.  It'll be nice to see: 1. Anti-Trust investigations against Samsung 2. Korean companies being politely asked to leave all standards bodies.

 

Those patents aren't FRAND, chief

 

 "Thus far, Samsung hasn't won any injunction of that kind. It previously relied largely on standard-essential patents (SEPs), and a Korea Times report published on Friday suggests that Samsung is once again contemplating a multijurisdictional push for preliminary injunctions against a new iPhone (or iPad 4G):

"Samsung confirmed that it will immediately sue Apple if the latter releases products using advanced long-term evolution (LTE) mobile technology."

It tried this trick last year with 3G patent assertions against the iPhone 4S, with a hit rate of zero. I would strongly discourage Samsung from trying to use 4G/LTE-essential patents to shut down the iPhone 5. It won't improve Samsung's position. It will only make things worse, especially with antitrust regulators. In my view, the reasonable approach for Samsung would be to sue for FRAND royalties over its SEPs, not injunctions.

The Korea Times article cites research according to which Samsung owns the world's third-largest 4G/LTE portfolio."

 

http://www.fosspatents.com/2012/09/where-on-earth-could-samsung-get-iphone.html

 

 

/posted without comment, chief.

 

post #97 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac512 View Post

אני מסכים

!ה׳אייפון חדש...איזה חבל על הזמן

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply
post #98 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

Wonder if apple will release some sort of 'smart cover' for the new iPhone, to stop the butter fingers from bitching about how fragile the iPhones are.
id like to see apple do something that's more integrated into the design

 

I don't know that they will do this, but I think it would be smart of Apple to make something like the "bumper" they made previously (for the older iPhone 4's and 4s'), that has a built in port adapter for the 30 pin.  That way you could buy a minimal case for your *old* iPhone that turns it into a *new* one (form-factor wise).  Protection and compatibility in one go.  They have approximately a centimetre of height to put the adapter in because the new phone is also taller.  

 

I'm sure someone will do this if not Apple.  
 

post #99 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I don't know that they will do this, but I think it would be smart of Apple to make something like the "bumper" they made previously (for the older iPhone 4's and 4s'), that has a built in port adapter for the 30 pin.  That way you could buy a minimal case for your *old* iPhone that turns it into a *new* one (form-factor wise).  Protection and compatibility in one go.  They have approximately a centimetre of height to put the adapter in because the new phone is also taller.  

I'm sure someone will do this if not Apple.  

I'm not sure that's feasible since we're talking about a case with a built in dock adapter. I do wonder how they will make an updated Bumper that allows for protection at the bottom whilst allowing for the headphone jack, mic, speaker, and both the new port design and an adapter to be used interchangeably.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #100 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post
 And you say the wages are pretty good - would you work for such a wage?

 

 

If I were a Chinese person with no job prospects living in China, then yeah, I'd probably be lining up outside of a Foxconn plant, with all of the other countless people who are eager to get such a job, since the pay is pretty decent and it probably beats breaking your back in some rice field. If somebody doesn't want to work for whatever reason, then they don't have to, that is their choice, bums do exist all over the world.

post #101 of 160
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
I'm not sure that's feasible since we're talking about a case with a built in dock adapter. I do wonder how they will make an updated Bumper that allows for protection at the bottom whilst allowing for the headphone jack, mic, speaker, and both the new port design and an adapter to be used interchangeably.

 

I'll bet you a Dock Connector to Dock Connector 2 adapter that any case Apple makes for the 6th iPhone won't take any such adapter into consideration whatsoever.

post #102 of 160

I must admit, as a relative new-comer to this site, the amount of information you guys know about iPhones is amazing.  I do not currently have an iPhone, so I thought it a convincing mock-up except for the article mentioning the model numbers already used in the 3GS.  However, I did not think this to be an actual iPhone, as I do believe Apple to have a better grasp on security than most here.  Some of you guys should be detectives or crime scene investigators by the level of detail with which you can scrutinize, but probably already have jobs that pay better.  I have read about the font style of the iProduct lettering on this site before, but I did not think to scrutinize to that detail.  One of the things I enjoy about this site is how all of these leaks get scrutinized.  It is much more interesting than the "my phone is better than your phone" back-and-forth regarding iOS vs. Android.  I enjoy a good debate, but those types often quickly degenerate into a name calling contest.

post #103 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Please try to read in context. It helps a ton. The change was made to the iPhone 4S. Because the iPhone 4S. Has CDMA+GSM in one phone. The iPhone 4. Does not have this. And therefore the antenna was not changed. On the iPhone 4. Unless you have evidence to the contrary, the antenna on an iPhone 4 you buy today. Is identical to the antenna on an iPhone 4 on launch day. And yet the problem. went. away. After a few months. 

1 - You were the one who started posting out of context, because we were talking about the differences between the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S, so it I missed the "context", it was entirely your fault for not making it obvious.

2 - Even in the new context, the simple fact that people were purchasing cases to work around the problem qualifies as a hardware change, so beyond the fact that your context switch wasn't obvious, your assertion that the hardware didn't change doesn't even make sense.

3 - The problem did not go away, as I have demonstrated originally when I pointed out the class action lawsuit that was settled recently as well as the fact that Apple offered users a case to work around it.

You are truly embarrassing yourself at this point, continuing this argument is akin of beating children at this point. No matter what you say, you'll always be proven wrong because you have absolutely nk clue of what you are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, so you're fine with making up completely unrelated crap talking about a completely different phone and pretending it's the same phone as the phone we're discussing.

Moot point, because as demonstrated above, I'm right either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Except those are the two solutions you have. There are no other solutions while continuing to use Apple's devices. Unless, of course, they DON'T drop analog in Dock Connector 2. There is nothing irrelevant about what I said.

Solutions are supposed to address problems. Avoiding those problems or simply accepting them isn't addressing them, and thus not a solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Could you possibly grow up, please?

Sorry dude, I'm 30, my maximum height has been reached, but I also enjoy trolling trolls (more on this below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Or at least read what I'm writing? Again, I specifically addressed that.

No, you didn't. You made a claim that there were many HDMI recorders in the market and the only example you managed to come up with had no HDMI ports, you didn't address anything, you didn't fulfill your burden of proof. Show me an actual HDMI recorder or stop trolling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Guess who, by his own admission, is also incapable of finding one, despite needing it?

The difference between us is that I know enough about the HDCP specification to know that such devices don't exist. I asked that question as a trap and in reply to your trolling about nobody having invented digital recorders in order to make it blatantly obvious for anyone else with a clue who may also be reading this forum that you're way in over your head, thus exposing you as a troll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You'd think you'd either be looking for this sort of thing or looking for a new phone ecosystem. I don't get what your problem is: analog stuff has been receiving hate mail from the grim reaper for about a decade now. Now he has finally got around to your house on his route and is ringing your doorbell and you're not even pretending you're not home, no sirree, you're yelling at him that pretending you're not at home isn't an option AND giving up to him isn't an option. He's laughing.

At this point, I would actually be surprised if you actually knew what the problem is...
post #104 of 160
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post
2 - Even in the new context, the simple fact that people were purchasing cases to work around the problem qualifies as a hardware change…

 

Nope. Please try again with a source that has taken apart an iPhone 4 from launch and an iPhone 4 from after you claim the antenna "problem" was fixed and which shows a difference therein.

 

3 - The problem did not go away…
 

Is that why we hear absolutely nothing about it anymore from the iPhone 4 users who don't use cases?


No matter what you say, you'll always be proven wrong because you have absolutely nk clue of what you are talking about.

 

Yes, you will.

 

Solutions are supposed to address problems.
 

Option 1: Keep a device with analog out. (an option I gave)

Option 2: Buy new secondary hardware that does not require analog support. (an option I gave)

Option 3: Use magic to make analog devices work with purely digital devices.

 

Indeed. And when you won't settle for anything but option 3, there's not much more to be said.

 

No, you didn't. You made a claim that there were many HDMI recorders in the market and the only example you managed to come up with had no HDMI ports, you didn't address anything, you didn't fulfill your burden of proof. Show me an actual HDMI recorder or stop trolling!
 

Sure thing, buddy. 


The difference between us is that I know enough about the HDCP specification to know that such devices don't exist. I asked that question as a trap and in reply to your trolling about nobody having invented digital recorders in order to make it blatantly obvious for anyone else with a clue who may also be reading this forum that you're way in over your head, thus exposing you as a troll.

 

I suppose you're going to pretend that HDCP can't be stripped or bypassed, huh. Or, better yet, can't just be dealt with by the recorder itself. Step two, now, is you telling me why those don't work, and then I go back and find even more until we find what you need.


Or, and I'll keep saying it until you either give up or agree, you can just keep your old hardware since you seem unwilling to even do the simplest imaginable search engine query about this topic. 

 

Does the iPhone really force HDCP for AirPlay and HDMI system-wide video out? Wouldn't it just block the Videos app from playing like OS X does if there's a problem with licensing?

post #105 of 160
The iPhone 5 came out last year. It was called the iPhone 4S.

iPhone = iPhone 1
iPhone 3G = iPhone 2
iPhone 3GS = iPhone 3
iPhone 4 = iPhone 4 (Oh the irony!)
iPhone 4S = iPhone 5

The next iPhone will be the iPhone 6. It is the sixth iPhone running iOS 6! It doesn't even make sense to refer to it as iPhone five because, as the OS name implies, it's the sixth version of the iPhone! I used to hope they would call it just iPhone. Like iMac. Like MacBook Pro. Like (finally) iPad.

But now I hope they call it the iPhone 6 so everyone would just STFU!
post #106 of 160

I hope it's just "iPhone". Within MINUTES, every website will renounce the old name. It'll be just like 2008.

post #107 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I hope it's just "iPhone". Within MINUTES, every website will renounce the old name. It'll be just like 2008.

Are you kidding? Haha. You're right! Even better, every site will claim they never called it the iPhone five ever! Except Gizmodo, they'll accuse Apple of hiding the new phone from the public and releasing the wrong phone with a different name for some insane reason. Like mind control or something.
post #108 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

So entirely new hardware inside, faster CPU, faster GPU, faster telephony, more RAM, potentially NFC, a larger screen… not gonna cut it for you?

 

Anyway, the idea is that you update every two years.

I thought only Fandroids were obsessed with specs?

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Reply
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Reply
post #109 of 160
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post
I thought only Fandroids were obsessed with specs?

 

They're obsessed with clock speeds, amounts, and sizes. Note that I just said everything was improved. "Improved" is something the everyman can understand. The fact that a 1.8GHz Ivy Bridge is leagues faster than a 3.8GHz Pentium 4 is not, particularly with no thanks to Intel.

post #110 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nope. Please try again with a source that has taken apart an iPhone 4 from launch and an iPhone 4 from after you claim the antenna "problem" was fixed and which shows a difference therein.

Where did I claim the antenna problems were fixed in the iPhone 4? I was very specific when I stated that the iPhone 4S fixed the antenna gate issue when I commented on the difference between the iPhone 4 and 4S, so you made this up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Is that why we hear absolutely nothing about it anymore from the iPhone 4 users who don't use cases?

No, that's because they have no reason to complain anymore as they can either get a free case to work around the problem or upgrade to the iPhone 4S, where the problem was properly addressed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure thing, buddy. 

Your burden of proof is now fulfilled, I accept defeat regarding the inexistence of HDMI recorders here. While this device in particular only records standard-definition video and doesn't support HDCP, it does address the problem, so I won't be picky.
post #111 of 160
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post
Where did I claim the antenna problems were fixed in the iPhone 4? I was very specific when I stated that the iPhone 4S fixed the antenna gate issue when I commented on the difference between the iPhone 4 and 4S, so you made this up...

 

OH! Okay, so your point just didn't matter, because there wasn't a problem to begin with. Sorry for the confusion.

 

No, that's because they have no reason to complain anymore as they can either get a free case to work around the problem or upgrade to the iPhone 4S, where the problem was properly addressed...

 

No, it's because there was no problem with the hardware. 

 

While this device in particular only records standard-definition video and doesn't support HDCP, it does address the problem, so I won't be picky.

 

What about the second link? It said it supported HDCP, but perhaps it wasn't the right sort of thing for recording… 

post #112 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

OH! Okay, so your point just didn't matter, because there wasn't a problem to begin with. Sorry for the confusion.

How exactly did you reach the conclusion that it didn't happen even after all the evidence that I provided on post #78 (which you never addressed)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, it's because there was no problem with the hardware.

You have burden of proof since post #78, so prove that it didn't happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What about the second link? It said it supported HDCP, but perhaps it wasn't the right sort of thing for recording… 

You can't record and export with HDCP support, not legally at least. Even if someone implements a device that records HDCP using the leaked master key, that's a lawsuit waiting to happen.
post #113 of 160
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post
How exactly did you reach the conclusion that it didn't happen even after all the evidence that I provided on post #78 (which you never addressed)?

 

You realize I get the reports, right? I don't see how what you posted is evidence of a problem with the hardware, and a problem unlike that which other phones have. Since the software update that fixed the way bars were being portrayed, the complaints have gone away. Use a bare iPhone 4, use a cased one. Same thing. 

post #114 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You realize I get the reports, right?

Hopefully someone else with the power to revoke your privileges does, too, and if they don't, I'll make sure to escalate the issue through other means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't see how what you posted is evidence of a problem with the hardware, and a problem unlike that which other phones have. Since the software update that fixed the way bars were being portrayed, the complaints have gone away. Use a bare iPhone 4, use a cased one. Same thing. 

You don't see how news articles stating that holding the iPhone in a certain way causes problems that other phones don't have constitutes evidence of the problem? You don't see how Apple themselves admitting twice (first in 2010 and then this year with the settlement) is evidence of an existing problem? You don't see how Apple taking steps to specifically address the problem you claim not existing in the following iPhone implementation is a demonstration of admission to the existence of that problem? If none of those things constitute evidence to you, then could you please point out exactly what would be acceptable to you as evidence that the iPhone 4 has an antenna problem so that I can provide suitable evidence? Did you even read any of the articles that I linked to?
post #115 of 160
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post
[questions]

 

Did you see that I asked you if you could provide evidence of a hardware change? Did you find any evidence of a hardware change? Do you have any proof that the hardware of an iPhone 4 purchased on launch day is any different from the hardware of an iPhone 4 purchased today? Do you notice there are no longer any complaints about the antenna of the iPhone 4? Do you think that the lack of said change plus the lack of complaints about the antenna might mean that there wasn't anything wrong with the hardware in the first place?

 

Innocent men can go to jail, you know. 

post #116 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Did you see that I asked you if you could provide evidence of a hardware change?

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Did you find any evidence of a hardware change?

Yes,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Do you have any proof that the hardware of an iPhone 4 purchased on launch day is any different from the hardware of an iPhone 4 purchased today?

No, and I fail to see the relevance of this question. What would that prove, exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Do you notice there are no longer any complaints about the antenna of the iPhone 4?

No, I've never agreed with that, you made that up! Even if you could somehow prove that people are no longer complaining, this would still accomplish nothing since absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Do you think that the lack of said change plus the lack of complaints about the antenna might mean that there wasn't anything wrong with the hardware in the first place?

There were hardware changes, a free case was offered, that's hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Innocent men can go to jail, you know.

Except Apple has essentially pleaded guilty by settling the class action lawsuit...
post #117 of 160
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post
Yes,

 

All right, link? (that's the second yes)


No, and I fail to see the relevance of this question. What would that prove, exactly?

 

That Apple changed the hardware. From the existence of a change and the timing thereof, we can infer reasons.


No, I've never agreed with that, you made that up!

 

Okay, so prove that wrong. Or state what needs to be said instead of this.

 

There were hardware changes, a free case was offered, that's hardware.

 

Nope. Please try again. That's nowhere near a valid statement.


Except Apple has essentially pleaded guilty by settling the class action lawsuit...

 

Sounds more like shutting up the <1% of users who were complaining about this and not wasting their time and money in a drawn-out lawsuit with the ~0.5% of users that brought it up. It was shut up and go away money, not an admission of guilt. With no hardware changed, the problem would have never actually been fixed and the tens of millions of purchasers outside the 'free case' date would be experiencing this problem. They're not. And not because they all bought cases, because that's a silly thing to assume.

post #118 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

All right, link? (that's the second yes)

We're looping, all the information you need is on post #78, which I have mentioned multiple times. Read the links provided there. One talks about the changes made to the antenna between the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S to address this issue in particular whereas the other two talk about the free cases that Apple offered to work around the antenna gate issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That Apple changed the hardware. From the existence of a change and the timing thereof, we can infer reasons.

While that is true, inferring lack of reason when a change under your conditions is not present is not logical, so this question doesn't help your case in any way and thus makes no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Okay, so prove that wrong. Or state what needs to be said instead of this.

I don't need to prove you wrong, you're the one making and unfounded claim! The burden of proof is on your side!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nope. Please try again. That's nowhere near a valid statement.

Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sounds more like shutting up the <1% of users who were complaining about this and not wasting their time and money in a drawn-out lawsuit with the ~0.5% of users that brought it up. It was shut up and go away money, not an admission of guilt. With no hardware changed, the problem would have never actually been fixed and the tens of millions of purchasers outside the 'free case' date would be experiencing this problem. They're not. And not because they all bought cases, because that's a silly thing to assume.

Funny theory, except it's full of flaws:

1 - You somehow assume that most of the people who bought an iPhone 4 in 2010 are still using it;
2 - You somehow assume that most of the people who own an iPhone 4 haven't taken advantage of the free case offer or bought one themselves;
3 - You somehow assume that people aren't complaining anymore;
4 - You made illogical conclusion that absence of complaints means absence of issues;
5 - You claim there was no hardware change while completely ignoring the free case workaround.
post #119 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Sounds more like shutting up the <1% of users who were complaining about this and not wasting their time and money in a drawn-out lawsuit with the ~0.5% of users that brought it up. It was shut up and go away money, not an admission of guilt. With no hardware changed, the problem would have never actually been fixed and the tens of millions of purchasers outside the 'free case' date would be experiencing this problem. They're not. And not because they all bought cases, because that's a silly thing to assume.

 

Well, I had the "death grip" problem with my launch day iPhone 4, and the problem still persists. I prefer to use my phones without a case, and I couldn't use my iPhone 4 without a case because the signal would degrade too much (I never had the problem with my 3GS). And the natural way that I held it in my hand when operating the phone normally (web, email, etc.) also caused the bars to drop all the way.

 

The only way to fix the problem was to use a case -- that solved the problem completely. When I got my iPhone 4S, I gave my wife my iPhone 4. She still has to use it with a case because of signal degradation. My iPhone 4S, however, doesn't have the signal problem at all.

post #120 of 160
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post
One talks about the changes made to the antenna between the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S to address this issue

 

This is irrelevant. This is not what we're discussing.


I don't need to prove you wrong, you're the one making and unfounded claim! The burden of proof is on your side!

 

Okay. Go to a store. Pick up an AT&T iPhone 4. Squeeze it.

 

Why not?

 

Because it seems you've no interest in making any sort of sense. Buying a laptop stand does not changing the hardware make.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • New video shows realistic mockup of fully-assembled iPhone 5 at IFA 2012
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New video shows realistic mockup of fully-assembled iPhone 5 at IFA 2012