or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google rumored to launch Nexus 7 with 3G in October

Google rumored to launch Nexus 7 with 3G in October

post #1 of 49
Google and its manufacturing partner Asus are reportedly planning to launch a new version of the Nexus 7 tablet in October with a cellular radio for wireless data connectivity on the go.

The new hardware will arrive next month, according to a "well placed insider" who spoke with MoDaCo. The new device will include a wireless radio for mobile data, but there will be no other changes to the hardware from the current Wi-Fi-only model.

The report said the new model will be a "3G" version. It did not indicate whether the rumored device will be able to connect to high-speed 4G LTE networks.

Asus is said to be ramping up production of the new device, and is on schedule to launch in about six weeks. A launch date and availability have yet to be nailed down.

A 3G version of the Nexus 7 would go beyond Amazon's current Kindle Fire, which is only available with Wi-Fi connectivity. However, Amazon is set to hold a media event on Thursday where it is expected to unveil new Kindle Fire models, which could potentially include a 3G or 4G LTE variant.

Nexus 4

Apple has offered cellular data connectivity with its market leading iPad since the first model launched in 2010. This year's third-generation iPad was the first Apple device to include high-speed 4G LTE connectivity.

With the Wi-Fi Nexus 7 now available a 3G version rumored to be forthcoming, and Amazon apparently gearing up to debut new models, competition is heating up in the smaller tablet space. Apple is expected to throw its hat into the ring in October, when it is rumored to launch a smaller 7.85-inch iPad that will be available alongside its existing 9.7-inch model.
post #2 of 49

So let me get this straight, Apple is planning to release a iPad Mini supposedly, that would with no doubt have 3G. Apple is rumored to hold the event in October a seperate one from the iPhone.

Google is going to release the nexus with 3G also a rumor.

Although this sounds odd that both these rumors would coincide, it wouldn't  surprise if Google tried to beat Apple to it?

post #3 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

So let me get this straight, Apple is planning to release a iPad Mini supposedly, that would with no doubt have 3G. Apple is rumored to hold the event in October a seperate one from the iPhone.

Although this sounds odd that both these rumors would coincide, it wouldn't  surprise if Google tried to beat Apple to it?

I'm not so sure about cellular in the iPad Mini. It makes complete sense for cellular connectivity to be part of a more portable internet-capable device but it does increase the price substantially by doing so, as well as reduce battery life. How many that would buy a budget tablet that doesn't have high capacity, a Retina display, latest CPU tech (except for the lithography which is used to reduce power consumption), will then spend $100+ for cellular connectivity.

Perhaps they could lower it by not including 4G LTE but I'm thinking they'd still want to use Qualcomm's 28nm tech and there are still so many licenses and costs with 3G that even then I'd expect it to be around $80 and be a 20% or more power hit.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #4 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm not so sure about cellular in the iPad Mini. It makes complete sense for cellular connectivity to be part of a more portable internet-capable device but it does increase the price substantially by doing so, as well as reduce battery life. How many that would buy a budget tablet that doesn't have high capacity, a Retina display, latest CPU tech (except for the lithography which is used to reduce power consumption), will then spend $100+ for cellular connectivity.
Perhaps they could lower it by not including 4G LTE but I'm thinking they'd still want to use Qualcomm's 28nm tech and there are still so many licenses and costs with 3G that even then I'd expect it to be around $80 and be a 20% or more power hit.

But Apple could find a way of figuring it out, without having to raise the price too high.

post #5 of 49
Quote:

But Apple could find a way of figuring it out, without having to raise the price too high.

Without raising the price too high? I dropped the price by $50 in my example while still using the latest lithography.

post #6 of 49

If the rumours aren't true & apple don't release an iPad mini a nexus 7 with 3G would be the best 7 inch tablet around (price to specs) & could get some decent sales.

I hope apple do bring out the iPad mini, id want one but wouldn't really need it, i have an iPad & iPhone.

post #7 of 49

K.

post #8 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

If the rumours aren't true & apple don't release an iPad mini a nexus 7 with 3G would be the best 7 inch tablet around (price to specs) & could get some decent sales.

At least until Apple adds it to their string of law suits and has it banned.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #9 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

True dat haha

something weird i've noticed amongst alot of my friends on Facebook, their impression of samsung throughout the court case & even now is like Samsung is robin hood & its trying to help the poor & rich apple is the evil sherif, so I kind of hope apple picks its battles more carefully or people might forget they make amazing products & just think of the law suits.

post #10 of 49

I think you are the only person on this planet who asks lawyers to ban a rumor.

Quote:

post #11 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

True dat haha

something weird i've noticed amongst alot of my friends on Facebook, their impression of samsung throughout the court case & even now is like Samsung is robin hood & its trying to help the poor & rich apple is the evil sherif, so I kind of hope apple picks its battles more carefully or people might forget they make amazing products & just think of the law suits.

Samsung is half way to being Robin Hood. They've stolen from the rich (Apple) but they haven't gotten around to giving to the poor.

(Paraphrased from Black Adder.)

post #12 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

I think you are the only person on this planet who asks lawyers to ban a rumor.

I'm not asking lawyers to ban a rumor. I'm suggesting that Apple will probably add the new Nexus 7 to their lawsuit if it does, in fact, exist and if Samsung has not removed all the infringing technologies (and given their recent actions, it's unlikely that they would have removed all the infringing technologies).
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #13 of 49
It is certainly true in the UK that Samsung's reputation has shot up since the case. People think that Samsung are being bullied by Apple.

Although they have no understanding of the details in the case, public perception ( no matter how baseless it is ) does matter.
post #14 of 49

Having LTE on my iPad has really spoiled me. I can't see buying something with only 3G. When I use my iPhone to browse the web on cellular it feels like a 56k baud modem.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #15 of 49
Quote:

I'm not asking lawyers to ban a rumor. I'm suggesting that Apple will probably add the new Nexus 7 to their lawsuit if it does, in fact, exist and if Samsung has not removed all the infringing technologies (and given their recent actions, it's unlikely that they would have removed all the infringing technologies).

I don't think Samsung has anything to do with the Nexus 7

post #16 of 49
Quote:

Nexus 7 is made by Asus, not Samsung

post #17 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

The Nexus 7 is sold exclusively by Google right? Is there any Asus branding on it?

post #18 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The Nexus 7 is sold exclusively by Google right? Is there any Asus branding on it?

I think that it has Asus engraved in the back

post #19 of 49
F google and all their sh*t.
post #20 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

On the iPad 1,2,3 you can turn off cellular data -- I believe that significantly reduces or eliminates that battery hit.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #21 of 49
Quote:

I don't think Samsung has anything to do with the Nexus 7

Quote:

If that's the case, I withdraw my statement.

The branding of 'Nexus' devices is confusing. Different manufacturers make and sell Nexus products - which is a crazy way to do things. For example, the Galaxy Nexus is made by Samsung.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #22 of 49
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

AI: "Asus is said to be ramping up production of the new device...."

This reading-with-eyes-open thing is so over rated. 

I don't like Samsung but since found guilty and it's in so many people's minds, they now seem to be one that will always be guilty regardless of who Google partners with.

You talkin' to me?
You talkin' to me?
post #23 of 49

The market needs differentiated products. I think a 3G enabled Nexus 7 would provide that.  I would like to see Google sell it for $300 with 16gb.  A slight markup on a $20 component unlike others who charge an whopping extra $129 for 3G enabled tablet.

post #24 of 49

If they can keep the price down, it would make absolute sense. It would put a device that is already far ahead of its' competitors (face it. It doesn't even compete with the iPad) even more ahead and give it a greater appeal. A cellular option means that people who need cellular for travel, but want something smaller or cheaper than the iPad will have a good option.

Come visit and chat with me about Apple: Appstorechronicle.com

Email Me: Editor@appstorechronicle.com

Come visit and chat with me about Apple: Appstorechronicle.com

Email Me: Editor@appstorechronicle.com

post #25 of 49
Quote:

The branding of 'Nexus' devices is confusing. Different manufacturers make and sell Nexus products - which is a crazy way to do things. For example, the Galaxy Nexus is made by Samsung.

Yeah I think Nexus even makes shampoo biggrin.gif

My bad that is Nexxus.

post #26 of 49
Quote:

If that's the case, I withdraw my statement.

No, Nexus devices are only sold by Google
post #27 of 49

Slightly off-topic, but I think the real threat for Google and Samsung will be the rumored new Nokia Lumias (820 and 920; see, e.g., http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57505226-94/new-nokia-lumia-920-820-to-feature-wireless-charging/). Granted, they're only phones initially, but I would not be surprised to see a tablet soon.

They look stunning. They may even end up affecting Apple's phone/tablet sales in the Windows world (of course, one can always reasonably expect that Ballmer and Co. will quite royally mess up the interface).

post #28 of 49
Quote:

3G?  I'm sure Apple will have 4G/LTE is my guess.  I'll bet Apple at least gives you either a 5 or 8 MP camera on the other side to take photos and videos, which SCHMOOGLE left out to save money. The Nexus 7 is almost useless.  16G on their top of the line product, no camera to take photos/videos, no cellular.  I don't get their mentality. I think they put it out to get attention instead of waiting longer to put something more useful and obviously more expensive.  The 8G model is practically useless for a tablet, but it gets people's attention because it was only $200.  Freaking Google. Google should stay away from developing an OS and hardware, they should focus their energy on making YouTube better and their search engine better.  Google should maybe license the Lexus Nexus taxonomy for the internet search engine and come out with more useful search operators.

post #29 of 49
I don't think a smaller version of the IPad would mean a budget tablet.
post #30 of 49

It kind of stinks for those who already bought the Wifi  only version if they want 3 or 4G, LTE. It's funny how many discussions people have over "rumored devices". I'm glad you put that in Thanks

post #31 of 49

Why do your posts contain yellow? Are you copying and pasting them from somewhere else?

post #32 of 49

This doesn't have a rear facing camera does it?

post #33 of 49
Quote:

Yeah I think Nexus even makes shampoo biggrin.gif

My bad that is Nexxus.

As far as I'm concerned, I would use Nexxus shampoo before I buy a Nexus tablet.  What's even more confusing about Google's naming convention for Android OS releases is all of the various product names for all of the Android products.  Talk about confusing the public.  Samsung is just as bad.  Samsung Galaxy S III.  WTF?   Just trying to decide what product to compare against Apple products for price comparison is just confusing from even the desktop and laptop systems by the Windows box mfg.  Out of shear model confusion on WIndows and Android products, is enough for me to rather use Apple.  I'd rather spend my time doing something else than trying to figure out what computer/idevice to buy.  

The only thing I can see Apple doing from a tablet perspective is offering 3 different sizes.  Large, medium and small for different markets.  I can see a 5 inch model, a 7+ inch model and a 10inch model.

post #34 of 49

I wish, Apple made a 7 inch model with special software that did exactly what auto makers have in their in dash navigation systems, but had an easy pop out/lock system design so we can also use them as a Tablet, and then when a new model comes out, we can upgrade our navigation systems in the car.  

post #35 of 49
Quote:

It's important to beat Apple to it because in about 3-4 years, some Einstein will post a Wikipedia link to the dates both were first announced, and if Google's 3G tablet was announced just a month before Apple's iPad "Mini" they can claim LOL @ Apple copied Google and say, "I rest my case."

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #36 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

What's even more confusing about Google's naming convention for Android OS releases is all of the various product names for all of the Android products.  Talk about confusing the public.  Samsung is just as bad

Where is the confusion on OS names and product names? Or do you think that OS X namig is also confusing?

post #37 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanExtremists View Post

The market needs differentiated products. I think a 3G enabled Nexus 7 would provide that.  I would like to see Google sell it for $300 with 16gb.  A slight markup on a $20 component unlike others who charge an whopping extra $129 for 3G enabled tablet.

Are you kidding? One tablet will provide that? If you truly believe the market needs differentiated products, you'd talking about the RIM PlayBook, the HP TouchPads, the Kindle Fire, or plethora of Windows-based tablets made since the days of Windows 3.11, all the way through the upcoming post-iPad generation of Windows 8 and RT tablets. But I'm sure you're pretending the tablet universe is just Apple vs. Google. But even if I were to indulge your false dilemma, and ignore all the differentiated products out there, there are still a lot of choices. You can buy a ThinkPad 10" Tablet or Samsung Galaxy Tab with Android and 3G radios today. In fact, the 7" Galaxy Tab with 16GB and 3G sells for $299 (with data contract). No, to me, a 3G Nexus 7 isn't differentiation: it's more of the same.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #38 of 49

Dear AppleInsider:

When you're posting screen shots, please put some white space between different screen shots so that it's clear that you're posting two portrait screen shots side by side as opposed to one landscape screen shot.

Sure, you could study the screen shots and eventually figure out that there are two sets of navigation bars on the bottom (meaning that it's two portrait screenshots side by side). But, really, you'd be doing your readers a favor if you just spaced them a few pixels apart.

Thanks,

A loyal reader.

post #39 of 49
Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post
When you're posting screen shots, please put some white space between different screen shots so that it's clear that you're posting two portrait screen shots side by side as opposed to one landscape screen shot.

If you have HoverZoom (or clicked it), you'll notice the image is actually just… one image. Two portrait shots combined in one single image file. I find that a little weird, myself.

post #40 of 49
Quote:

Where is the confusion on OS names and product names? Or do you think that OS X namig is also confusing?

Perhaps more so since Google will probably never run out of names of sweet deserts where as the large cats are in very limited supply. Now Apple has to recycle names under synonyms. (not sure how Kodiak started it out but maybe they should have stayed with that theme of fearsome wild animals). But they still painted themselves into a corner with the X = 10 in Roman Numerals.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google rumored to launch Nexus 7 with 3G in October