or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google rumored to launch Nexus 7 with 3G in October

Google rumored to launch Nexus 7 with 3G in October - Page 2

post #41 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Perhaps more so since Google will probably never run out of names of sweet deserts where as the large cats are in very limited supply. Now Apple has to recycle names under synonyms. (not sure how Kodiak started it out but maybe they should have stayed with that theme of fearsome wild animals). But they still painted themselves into a corner with the X = 10 in Roman Numerals.

Google's nomenclature is silly but at least it has a pattern. Each desert starts with the letter of the alphabet. That makes it much harder to continue because there are so few for most letters and probably none, at least in English, for some letters.

Google has also choose this for the whole of Android whilst Apple is only using it for Mac OS X, or in other words Mac OS 10.x. Once Apple states they are introducing Mac OS XI (which I think will probably be written as OS 11*) I doubt anyone will expect them to use the cat naming convention.

I guess Google will just change it MS-style since they've done so already

• 1.0 Astro
  • 1.1 Bender

• 1.5 Cupcake
  • 1.6 Donut
  • 2.0 Eclair
  • 2.2 Froyo
  • 2.3 Gingerbread
  • 3.0 Honeycomb
  • 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
  • 4.1 Jelly Bean

* I'd just prefer they call it Mac OS and leave it as that just as iDevices use iOS.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #42 of 49

I hope Google does this. The competition will respond by trying to include some minimal always-available internet connectivity. Unfortunately, cellular plans, with their exemptions and labyrinth of rules seem to be going in the wrong direction. If Apple can't exert some pressure to simplify these plans and lower their cost, maybe they should look into buying a cellular provider and revolutionizing this industry once and for all. It'd be nice to have one fee that covers all my devices.

On a related note, if Apple does manage to squeeze 3G (or whatever) into an iPad nano, that will free it from the computer once and for all. I'd love to have all my devices sync my podcasts so I can listen and resume without trying to manually syncing or keeping track myself. Kudos to Amazon for seeing this need: Included connectivity on the Kindle so you can download and enjoy (and sync) books anywhere, anytime.

post #43 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Google's nomenclature is silly but at least it has a pattern. Each desert starts with the letter of the alphabet. That makes it much harder to continue because there are so few for most letters and probably none, at least in English, for some letters.
Google has also choose this for the whole of Android whilst Apple is only using it for Mac OS X, or in other words Mac OS 10.x. Once Apple states they are introducing Mac OS XI (which I think will probably be written as OS 11*) I doubt anyone will expect them to use the cat naming convention.
  • 1.0 Astro
  • 1.1 Bender
  • 1.5 Cupcake
  • 1.6 Donut
  • 2.0 Eclair
  • 2.2 Froyo
  • 2.3 Gingerbread
  • 3.0 Honeycomb
  • 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
  • 4.1 Jelly Bean
* I'd just prefer they call it Mac OS and leave it as that just as iDevices use iOS.

Thanks I wasn't observant enough to realize Android names were alphabetical.

I totally agree with you on the Mac OS name. I think they made the wrong decision to drop the Mac part of the name. I would have thought they would drop the X part in preparation of the looming version 11, but everybody likes X for some reason. Just the other day I researched whether I could detect any trend by Apple to actually drop the Macintosh name but it is still quite prominent in their legal documents. Code names have been a tradition in OS releases for a long time. There is some complicated algorithm that Red Hat uses but I haven't figured that one out either.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I would have thought they would drop the X part in preparation of the looming version 11, but everybody likes X for some reason.

From Futurama, Anthology of Interest I: http://www.gotfuturama.com/Multimedia/EpisodeSounds/2ACV16/12.mp3

post #45 of 49

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/google-nexus-7-1087040/review

Apple could win easily against this nexus design. But perhaps since ceo's met last week and google begged for life, apple will be robin hood this time.

"I invented the rectangle"  - Steve Jobs

"We Bomb you" - USA

"I invented the rectangle"  - Steve Jobs

"We Bomb you" - USA

post #46 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

3G?  I'm sure Apple will have 4G/LTE is my guess.  I'll bet Apple at least gives you either a 5 or 8 MP camera on the other side to take photos and videos, which SCHMOOGLE left out to save money. The Nexus 7 is almost useless.  16G on their top of the line product, no camera to take photos/videos, no cellular.  I don't get their mentality. I think they put it out to get attention instead of waiting longer to put something more useful and obviously more expensive.  The 8G model is practically useless for a tablet, but it gets people's attention because it was only $200.  Freaking Google. Google should stay away from developing an OS and hardware, they should focus their energy on making YouTube better and their search engine better.  Google should maybe license the Lexus Nexus taxonomy for the internet search engine and come out with more useful search operators.

Really, the camera on the ipad2 (my only reference point) is basically a novelty. I took a couple of photos with it, realised it looked ridiculous and have taken few photos, if any, since.

However, I have used the forward facing camera to skype, quite effectively and now do the same on nexus 7.

The rear camera is oversold. Anyway, I have an iPhone 4S to take photos with. I need it for the hotspot to nexus 7. It's a good combination. Each does their job well.

post #47 of 49

You know that you CAN actually make phone calls with at least two tablets in the market: the Galaxy Tab 7.7 and the Galaxy Note I/II [this one is a phablet, actually]. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

I still cannot, for the life of me, understand the need for a cellular connection on a tablet.
If you are using it at home, you'll have WiFi.
If you are travelling, you are going to bring your phone with you regardless since the tablet can't do voice calls. So just switch on WiFi tethering on your phone.
post #48 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

• 1.0 Astro
  • 1.1 Bender
  • 1.5 Cupcake
  • 1.6 Donut
  • 2.0 Eclair
  • 2.2 Froyo
  • 2.3 Gingerbread
  • 3.0 Honeycomb
  • 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
  • 4.1 Jelly Bean

Will we have.....

• 5.0 Mac and Cheese
post #49 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If you have HoverZoom (or clicked it), you'll notice the image is actually just… one image. Two portrait shots combined in one single image file. I find that a little weird, myself.
Yes, thanks. It looks like they started putting a few pixels' space in the merged images in the maps article today.

Yay!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google rumored to launch Nexus 7 with 3G in October