or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung says it will review 250 suppliers for labor violations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung says it will review 250 suppliers for labor violations

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 
Samsung has said it will investigate 250 Chinese manufacturing partners after a third-party audit found the use of child labor.

The U.S.-based operation China Labor Watch found seven children younger than 16 wroking in a factory that makes DVD players for Samsung. The company responded on Monday and said it will inspect 250 Chinese companies that make its products, but its own investigation found no under-aged workers at the HEG Electronics facility in question, according to Reuters.

Samsung's audit did, however, find inadequate management and potentially unsafe practices, including improper safety measures and overtime beyond what local regulations allow.

In a statement, Samsung said it has "demanded that HEG immediately improve its working conditions." If the partner fails to meet Samsung's "zero-tolerance policy on child labor, the contract will be immediately severed."

Attention has not traditionally been paid to Samsung's overseas manufacturing partners. However, Apple, which is now the largest company in the world by market capitalization, has routinely come under fire for its reliance on overseas assembly, particularly at manufacturer Foxconn.

For years, Apple has conducted its own supplier audits and put out an annual report detailing their findings. But earlier this year, facing growing criticism, Apple also allowed a third-party organization, the Fair Labor Association, to conduct its own audits. Apple is the first technology company to partner with the FLA.
post #2 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung said it has "demanded that HEG immediately improve its working conditions." 

 

Well, now that Apple's done it . . . and taken the heat *for everyone else*.

 

Lord only knows how long this has been going on with Samsung's partners, and has gone on with little to no media attention. 

post #3 of 38

When Mike Daisey heard of this, he immediately yawned and said, "Nope. Don't care. It's not connected to Apple, so they get a free pass."

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #4 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But earlier this year, facing growing criticism, Apple also allowed a third-party organization, the Fair Labor Association, to conduct its own audits. Apple is the first technology company to partner with the FLA.

 

I’m not sure that’s quite how it happened:

 

Apple announced the FLA partnership in January along with their annual supplier responsibility report. It seems more likely to be a planned part of this report and of the next year’s phase of improvements, than to be in response to “growing criticism.” In fact, as I recall, although Mike Daisey had been on the fictional warpath for some time, and got his lies on This American Life shortly before the annual report, I don’t recall any big wave of Apple criticism at the end of last year or the first days of January this year. It seems like that had died down by then, and then resurged AFTER Apple partnered with the FLA. (Apple’s own positive actions actually helping to get the matter back on people’s radar. With plenty of help from Mike Daisey’s interviews!)

 

And any “growing criticism” should be termed “spreading lies,” since nothing new had emerged about Apple’s situation. This American Life later returned to the story with an apology, and it turns out that all of the problems found to be true are the ones Apple themselves had already reported on.

 

I’m pretty certain nobody has dug up a single thing beyond what Apple self-reported, despite their efforts to do so. (Including going to China: Mike Daisey wasn’t the only one to look for fresh dirt in person, just the only one to invent it when it couldn’t be found.)

 

So “growing criticism” means “continued honesty from Apple plus lies from Mike Daisey” (both of which were spun Apple being evil) and that’s about it.

post #5 of 38

Dear Samsung,

 

No-one really cares.

 

You wanna know why?

 

In spite of all your attempts at mimicry...

 

...you aren't Apple.

 

P.S. keep sending us cheques so we can make a pretence you are.

 

Signed

 

The World's journalists.

 

P.P.S What are conditions like in your Vietnamese factories?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #6 of 38

Ah, awaiting the outrage from our resident tro... fandroids.

 

Chirp, chirp, chirp......

post #7 of 38

HEY!!!

SAMSUNG!!!!

 

Now's the time to copy Apple...

post #8 of 38
"Samsung says it will review 250 suppliers for labor violations"

I thought Samsung made everything themselves, well not really but that's the impression created by their advocates.
post #9 of 38
@Apple][ - With as much as you like Apple, you sure do give users a bad name. Nearly every post is a hate filled rant. Everyone gets upset occasionally, but hate and arrogance seem so common in your posts. You should show more confidence in your ability to have a rational discussion.
post #10 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

@Apple][ - With as much as you like Apple, you sure do give users a bad name. Nearly every post is a hate filled rant. Everyone gets upset occasionally, but hate and arrogance seem so common in your posts. You should show more confidence in your ability to have a rational discussion.

Ain't it GREAAT!!!!

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #11 of 38
Child labor (and labor abuses generally) would strike anyone with principles as being an unfortunate reality that should be addressed, by whatever means possible. It's unfortunate that rabid Apple psychopaths try to turn it into a conspiracy theory every time those abuses come to light. (Perhaps somewhere, to a lesser degree, Samsung fans are floating the same tired rhetoric that you see all too often on these forums in defense of human rights abuses.)

In this case, instead of saying, "Hey, it seems like this is a fundamental issue across all manner of manufacture that could, and should, be addressed," you get the typical tribalistic babble on these forums. It's absolutely disgraceful.

I'm glad that people who DO possess principles are putting pressure on yet another corporation that would undoubtedly ignore these issues if it didn't pose a threat to their profits.
post #12 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

@Apple][ - With as much as you like Apple, you sure do give users a bad name. Nearly every post is a hate filled rant. Everyone gets upset occasionally, but hate and arrogance seem so common in your posts. You should show more confidence in your ability to have a rational discussion.

I don't give a crap about giving Apple users a bad name, I speak only for myself, and I tell it like I see it.

 

You would be gravely mistaken if you believe that I am the least bit interested in having a rational discussion with any Fandroid or Apple hater. I come here to converse with Apple users, anybody else is irrelevant to me, and I wouldn't even give them the time of day.

post #13 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

@Apple][ - With as much as you like Apple, you sure do give users a bad name. Nearly every post is a hate filled rant. Everyone gets upset occasionally, but hate and arrogance seem so common in your posts. You should show more confidence in your ability to have a rational discussion.

 

So tell us, Doctor David, how does one have a rational discussion over the fact that every other company that manufactures in China gets a pass from the media and only Apple gets pages and pages of outraged editorials? And how does one have a rational discussion about bringing jobs back to the U.S. when it's only Apple that is required to do this? 

 

Oh, and I just checked the headlines over at C|net. Not a peep about this report. Not one jot, not one tittle. Is that rational?

post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't give a crap about giving Apple users a bad name, I speak only for myself, and I tell it like I see it.

 

You would be gravely mistaken if you believe that I am the least bit interested in having a rational discussion with any Fandroid or Apple hater. I come here to converse with Apple users, anybody else is irrelevant to me, and I wouldn't even give them the time of day.

Amen!

 

I feel the same way, I come to this site to talk about apple products with like minded enthusiasts, when fandroids come in and piss on the things I enjoy they deserve no attempt at a rational discussion and should be flamed into oblivion.

 

On a different note, does anyone remember any point when Foxconn used child labor? I don't recall it ever happening but im sure that will be overlooked and people will still sympathize with samsung, if for no other reason than blatant ignorance.

post #15 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty of Bath View Post

"Samsung says it will review 250 suppliers for labor violations"

I thought Samsung made everything themselves, well not really but that's the impression created by their advocates.

Surprise, Samsung isn't honest! shocker!

post #16 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

HEY!!!

SAMSUNG!!!!

 

Now's the time to copy Apple...

Yeah, but they have to review 250 suppliers.

 

I'd be willing to bet that no one really goes into these Samsung stores after about a month after they open.  Meanwhile, most of Apple stores are packed with people and when the iPhone 5 hits, you'll see the lines forming.

post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

Child labor (and labor abuses generally) would strike anyone with principles as being an unfortunate reality that should be addressed, by whatever means possible. It's unfortunate that rabid Apple psychopaths try to turn it into a conspiracy theory every time those abuses come to light. (Perhaps somewhere, to a lesser degree, Samsung fans are floating the same tired rhetoric that you see all too often on these forums in defense of human rights abuses.)
In this case, instead of saying, "Hey, it seems like this is a fundamental issue across all manner of manufacture that could, and should, be addressed," you get the typical tribalistic babble on these forums. It's absolutely disgraceful.
I'm glad that people who DO possess principles are putting pressure on yet another corporation that would undoubtedly ignore these issues if it didn't pose a threat to their profits.

 

So are you saying Samsung (and others) only started doing this AFTER the attempted vilification of Apple in the press over it?

 

The "pressure" should have been applied months or years ago, when Apple was singled out.

 

Where were you then, were you one of the sociopaths ignoring other company's abuses?

 

At the time when a lot of the "Apple psychopaths", as you call them were stating it was an industry wide problem, where were you?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #18 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't give a crap about giving Apple users a bad name, I speak only for myself, and I tell it like I see it.

 

You would be gravely mistaken if you believe that I am the least bit interested in having a rational discussion with any Fandroid or Apple hater. I come here to converse with Apple users, anybody else is irrelevant to me, and I wouldn't even give them the time of day.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRCx View Post

Amen!

 

I feel the same way, I come to this site to talk about apple products with like minded enthusiasts, when fandroids come in and piss on the things I enjoy they deserve no attempt at a rational discussion and should be flamed into oblivion.

 

On a different note, does anyone remember any point when Foxconn used child labor? I don't recall it ever happening but im sure that will be overlooked and people will still sympathize with samsung, if for no other reason than blatant ignorance.

 

And I lay the blame on the management of this site for letting these bottom feeders continue to post their venom. They do not have any right to do so on a private forum but AI allows it anyway. It's the Fandroids and iHaters that give their camp a bad name. They are so insecure about their choices that they feel compelled to take a dump in places like AI. You see virtually NO Apple enthusiasts joining Android or Windows centric forums for the express purpose of denigrating that universe. I wouldn't join one of those forums for any reason. I don't need to.

post #19 of 38
@Hill60

I was here, making the same argument that I am now.

It IS an industry wide issue, but trying to use that as an "out" for any company that catches heat for it is like saying we shouldn't throw ANY murderer in jail unless we throw EVERY murderer in jail. In a perfect world, sure, all the murderers would be caught, and all the corporations would answer for human rights abuses, but until then I'd say catching the ones you can catch is a better policy than giving everyone a pass so that things are "fair."

You guys seem to forget that ALL Apple news is run through an amplifier. No one notices an Android phone launch day, and no one notices a Samsung human rights scandal, but the news certainly makes a fuss about a new iphone, and they similarly make a fuss about conditions where iphones are made. It's not a difference of balance, but a difference of magnitude.

This ridiculous "Apple users are under attack" line that you learned from Fox News is TRAGIC, but not because it's true.
Edited by DeanSolecki - 9/3/12 at 3:33pm
post #20 of 38

Still awaiting the New York Times coverage on this.

 

Chirp, chirp, chirp......

post #21 of 38

This obviously isn't a surprise. You wonder if an independent Apple advocate group needs to monitor these things and report them to keep things balanced out there. You read the mainstream blogs and comments on the boards of Yahoo! and sites like that and it's obvious there's a concerted smear campaign going on against Apple. One of the most common comments is: "I won't be buying stuff from Apple because they use child labor in China." Whether a comment like this comes from your everyday ignoramus or an organized group of iHaters with an agenda to smear Apple anyway they can, the point is that many people actually do believe this stuff while ignoring the big picture.

 

As a Korean-American who travels to Korea and China on a regular basis for business, I see many Korean companies operating factories in China and dealing with a huge network of suppliers. It's funny that so many Americans think that Samsung makes all of their stuff in Korea when the great majority are actually produced in China and various southeast Asian countries. The haters also like to tell the ignorant populace that Samsung has a huge chip plant in Austin, TX and that they employ more Americans than Apple does. The haters are very vocal and becoming more numerous while relatively few Apple fans bother to counter such absurd claims.

 

But perhaps it's because most Apple users and fans have better things to do than hate or deal with the haters... 

post #22 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

 

Not one jot, not one tittle. Is that rational?

 

Thumbs up for the Baron von Munchausen reference.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #23 of 38

This is ridiculous, everyone started ranking on Apple when their manufacturer that they had no control over had bad working conditions, not Samsung does it and they get a short little article on like 3 sites. This is major bullshit.

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

@Hill60
I was here, making the same argument that I am now.
It IS an industry wide issue, but trying to use that as an "out" for any company that catches heat for it is like saying we shouldn't throw ANY murderer in jail unless we throw EVERY murderer in jail. In a perfect world, sure, all the murderers would be caught, and all the corporations would answer for human rights abuses, but until then I'd say catching the ones you can catch is a better policy than giving everyone a pass so that things are "fair."
You guys seem to forget that ALL Apple news is run through an amplifier. No one notices an Android phone launch day, and no one notices a Samsung human rights scandal, but the news certainly makes a fuss about a new iphone, and they similarly make a fuss about conditions where iphones are made. It's not a difference of balance, but a difference of magnitude.
This ridiculous "Apple users are under attack" line that you learned from Fox News is TRAGIC, but not because it's true.

The strange thing is, it was Apple's reports, published by them, that first drew media attention to themselves, inducing a feeding frenzy among bottom feeding media scum and the vermin who blindly supported them in their witch hunt.

My stance on this has never changed.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

HEY!!!

SAMSUNG!!!!

 

Now's the time to copy Apple...

Yeah, but they have to review 250 suppliers.

 

I'd be willing to bet that no one really goes into these Samsung stores after about a month after they open.  Meanwhile, most of Apple stores are packed with people and when the iPhone 5 hits, you'll see the lines forming.

Huh?  

How is that related to this article?

Or my original comment?

post #26 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkhan2000 View Post

This obviously isn't a surprise. You wonder if an independent Apple advocate group needs to monitor these things and report them to keep things balanced out there. You read the mainstream blogs and comments on the boards of Yahoo! and sites like that and it's obvious there's a concerted smear campaign going on against Apple. One of the most common comments is: "I won't be buying stuff from Apple because they use child labor in China." Whether a comment like this comes from your everyday ignoramus or an organized group of iHaters with an agenda to smear Apple anyway they can, the point is that many people actually do believe this stuff while ignoring the big picture.

 

It's big among tech nerds and Apple haters. 

 

But it has little to no effect on sales of Apple gear. Consumers just keep wanting more of it. The bulk of the market is focused squarely on the product, not labour conditions. 

post #27 of 38

27 posts. This thread would have hit half a dozen pages by now at least if it was about Apple, mostly filled with the shrill bleatings of the anti-Apple camp.


Edited by sennen - 9/3/12 at 5:47pm
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #28 of 38
@Ikrupp (sorry about the @, I can't seem to quote from my phone). I'd be happy to Ikrupp. Your response to me had some good points about labor issues and the unfairness of apple being held to a different standard. It seemed well reasoned and rational. Apple][ posts I feel like I'm reading an apple haters rant. They're looking for a catharsis that never comes, but endlessly trying anyway.
As far as other media not reporting on Samsungs labor issues, yes that is rational. It's not fair or right, but it is rational. We all know why they do it. Page views.
post #29 of 38

It's too early to say that there was no response to this article compared to the furor over labor violations relating to Apple. This article was released on Labor Day, when most people are on vacation.

 

With that said, no one roots for Goliath. In every situation, Apple is Goliath against a bunch of Davids. 

post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvswarup View Post

This article was released on Labor Day

 

So I'm assuming Samsung got 'Labor Day' mixed up with 'Labor Violations Day'?

Pot is legal in North Korea.
That explains a considerable amount.

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."
Reply
Pot is legal in North Korea.
That explains a considerable amount.

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."
Reply
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvswarup View Post

With that said, no one roots for Goliath. In every situation, Apple is Goliath against a bunch of Davids. 

 

It's strange how people feel a company the size of Samsung is an underdog.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #32 of 38
Originally Posted by vvswarup View Post

With that said, no one roots for Goliath. In every situation, Apple is Goliath against a bunch of Davids. 

 

Including phone and desktop OS marketsh… wait… 

post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

It's strange how people feel a company the size of Samsung is an underdog.

 

I read a pretty interesting article about a month ago (a Gruber linked story, IIRC) about the Samsung behemoth from the perspective of a western journalist:  http://www.kernelmag.com/features/report/3028/samsung-power-corruption-and-lies/

 

TL;DR, at least scroll to the end, where Mic Wright says:

Quote:

"The idea that South Korea is a shiny futurescape of democratic wonder is ultimately the result of sitting next to the fetid, Communist disaster that is North Korea.

 

The South looks better, thanks to the success consumer technology and semiconductors has brought, it but the grip of the chaebols is pernicious and corruption lies beneath every facet of Korean society.

 

You’re welcome to love Android and hate Apple. Just don’t be fooled into thinking Samsung are the good guys."


Edited by John.B - 9/3/12 at 7:24pm

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

27 posts. This thread would have hit half a dozen pages by now at least if it was about Apple, mostly filled with the shrill bleatings of the anti-Apple camp.

Exactly. Similar thing at Google News -- about  a dozen stories (incl. blogs), at most.

 

Most comments that do exist are in the vein of yawns, shrugs, well-you-knows, or anti-Apple rants ("Yeah, Samsung might be bad, man, but Apple is the worst....").

 

Hypocrites. Sigh.

post #35 of 38

Samsung can also add not doing this to their 'Reminders' list.

 

Sorry, 'S Reminders' list:

 

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/samsung-sorry-for-bloggers-berlin-nightmare-20120904-25bby.html

Pot is legal in North Korea.
That explains a considerable amount.

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."
Reply
Pot is legal in North Korea.
That explains a considerable amount.

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."
Reply
post #36 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvswarup View Post

It's too early to say that there was no response to this article compared to the furor over labor violations relating to Apple. This article was released on Labor Day, when most people are on vacation.

 

With that said, no one roots for Goliath. In every situation, Apple is Goliath against a bunch of Davids. 


BS - where were you in the late 90's?  "Beleaguered Apple" was the media's catch phase.

post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvswarup View Post

With that said, no one roots for Goliath. In every situation, Apple is Goliath against a bunch of Davids. 

 

How's that Google-flavored kool-aid? Oh wait, that's not kool-aid...

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #38 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexkhan2000 View Post

 

The haters also like to tell the ignorant populace that Samsung has a huge chip plant in Austin, TX ..

 

 

 

I guess this is just a warehouse to you. Cant deny FACTS.

 

I'm eagerly awaiting your comeback.

 

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung says it will review 250 suppliers for labor violations